80s or 90s suburban

Alright, I'm almost convinced I'm going to buy a suburban. My vehicle needs:

people hauler:

I just moved to Idaho, and when friends/family come to visit I will need to pick them up at Salt Lake City (2.5hr drive). Thus, 5 or more comfortable passenger capacity needed.

stuff hauler:

Cuz sometimes you want to haul stuff. I'm currently tempted to get a kayak or something like that. Beautiful land out here in ID.

rough-road warrior

I want to explore the back roads of Idaho, which are generally dirt (though today I got my Saturn stuck in sand...) I don't want to have to worry about whether my vehicle can handle it. As a part of this, ground clearance is important due to roads that are basically two ruts, or if I accidentally venture into sand again. This pretty much narrows the field to trucks and truck-based SUVs. Also because of the rough roads, cosmetics are NOT important. I don't want an absolutely ugly vehicle, but blemishes will just be a part of life for the vehicle. I am not intending this to be a true off-road vehicle, but capable enough that it can get by if it happens to wander that way...

cheap:

I'm a tightwad, and this is an extra/occasional use vehicle. Definately below $10k. Probably more like $5k or below. Even cheaper is better - I don't mind fixing some things.

So basically I've come down to a crew cab full-size truck (GM preferred, Ford's ok, others if the price were right I guess), or a full-size truck based SUV. 80s suburbans seem to be pretty common out here, and are running around $1500. I can afford to fix some minor stuff for that, and I don't mind the styling. I'm currently eyeballing a loaded 86 GMC Suburban 1500 w/ 6.2L diesel. I test drove it today, and it's painfully slow, so I would likely consider a banks turbo setup down the road (about $2,200 and drastically improves performance).

If I don't find a good deal on a crew cab pickup, then it's basically 80s suburban + turbo kit later vs 90s suburban left alone

Thoughts & input?

What about a Jeep or a first gen Durango? I always liked those.

If it's only GM you'll buy, then I'd say a `90s Suburban...hauls stuff in a closed space but has penty of room for said stuff...and can seat more if need be than a truck. Plus it's as capable as a pickup.

Alright, I'm almost convinced I'm going to buy a suburban. My vehicle needs:

people hauler:

I just moved to Idaho, and when friends/family come to visit I will need to pick them up at Salt Lake City (2.5hr drive). Thus, 5 or more comfortable passenger capacity needed.

stuff hauler:

Cuz sometimes you want to haul stuff. I'm currently tempted to get a kayak or something like that. Beautiful land out here in ID.

rough-road warrior

I want to explore the back roads of Idaho, which are generally dirt (though today I got my Saturn stuck in sand...) I don't want to have to worry about whether my vehicle can handle it. As a part of this, ground clearance is important due to roads that are basically two ruts, or if I accidentally venture into sand again. This pretty much narrows the field to trucks and truck-based SUVs. Also because of the rough roads, cosmetics are NOT important. I don't want an absolutely ugly vehicle, but blemishes will just be a part of life for the vehicle. I am not intending this to be a true off-road vehicle, but capable enough that it can get by if it happens to wander that way...

cheap:

I'm a tightwad, and this is an extra/occasional use vehicle. Definately below $10k. Probably more like $5k or below. Even cheaper is better - I don't mind fixing some things.

So basically I've come down to a crew cab full-size truck (GM preferred, Ford's ok, others if the price were right I guess), or a full-size truck based SUV. 80s suburbans seem to be pretty common out here, and are running around $1500. I can afford to fix some minor stuff for that, and I don't mind the styling. I'm currently eyeballing a loaded 86 GMC Suburban 1500 w/ 6.2L diesel. I test drove it today, and it's painfully slow, so I would likely consider a banks turbo setup down the road (about $2,200 and drastically improves performance).

If I don't find a good deal on a crew cab pickup, then it's basically 80s suburban + turbo kit later vs 90s suburban left alone

Thoughts & input?

Oh I always wanted to go there, but sadly, I haven't made it there yet. :hissyfit:

Only do '87 and up on these, the fuel injection makes all the difference.

I'd only go '92 and up if possible, the GMT400s are great vehicles and have about a million advantages over the previous vehicles which were still based on a design that debuted in 1973.

I've owned Chevy trucks of each generation from '68 forward ( no 900 yet), and I have to say each was better than the one before it.

Oh, and get a Suburban rather than the truck: it will work better for what you plan.

yeah, the 'burbans are nice - the truck would have advantage basically if I wanted to haul something big and/or extra dirty. Like a 4 wheeler if I were to decide to own one (though it might technically fit in the burban, IDK, but it'd definately be tougher to do). Rear seat out & mid seat flat, though, that's a lotta cargo space! :)

I'm really getting to where I like the idea of getting a diesel. I can easily get an 80s diesel in decent shape for about $1,500, but it's so slow I'd pretty much have to get the banks turbo kit for it, which would add another $2,200. Round that off to $4,000, and that's a big chunk toward a newer one, which if diesel would already be turbo... so I gotta shop around & see what I can find. Or just buy an 80s one & live with it non-turbo for a year or two, then sell it & buy something better when financials like me better.

87 and newer are the best because of EFI. The throttle body injection was pretty decent. Rode around in an 87 Suburban 4x4 a lot back in the day. It got 16-18 mpg on road trips. Had a 85 GMC pickup too. They engine was pretty weak until I revived it with a rebuilt 350.

Edited by biff

Pre- Duramax GM diesels just basically suck, I wouldn't bother with one. But the EFI trucks really were great, and relatively efficient. The GMT400s that I had got really good mileage for 4x4 trucks. In fact, my 1990 3500 with an EFI 454 got better mileage than my 2001 6.0 2500 HD did.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of the '73-'91 Suburbans are GREAT! The 6.2 Diesel was a dog, unfortunately, if you want to go diesel power, get the turbo'ed 6.5 But yeah, my prefererence is with the '73-'91s, parts are plentiful, the engines aren't horribly complicated to work on, and yes, the TBI units do make a difference, so I'd have to really say get a '87-'91 body Suburban. the biggest thing I like about that particular body style is that you can really do just about anything to them, there is a rather large aftermarket available for 'em.

We used to have a 97 Suburban LT 1500. That was such an awesome truck. I really loved it, and while I welcomed the change to my mom's decision to get an X5 4.4, after driving it I really miss the suburban, and I think I'd rather drive the suburban over the X5 (which is a bad comparison because the X5 is worthless as a truck/anything hauler...the weekend after we got the X5 we had to rent a Suburban to go on a weekend trip because we needed something that would haul 5 people, a dog, and a bunch of $h! comfortably and easily...the X5 can't do any of that.)

• 5 years later...
Guest brad

dont forget that the straight axle is always the best i owned a chevy with IFS and it sucked offroad it was always knocked out of alinement