Sketch Competition #21 - Kappa Deux, Part II

Welcome to Sketch Competition #21!

Posted Image

As hinted at back in the last Sketch Competition, there's a sequel and this is it. For all the naysaying and critiquing, the Kappa twins have been rather successful, both in their own sales - way outpacing the Miata with the Solstice alone - and in their halo effect, driving people into Pontiac showrooms and heralding a new era for Saturn, respectively. But what if it didn't just end there?

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to design a Kappa-based car for any other GM division. Though bodystyles should be limited to convertible, coupe, or hatch, the styling is completely up to you. Whether you want a baby Corvette under the Chevy banner, a new-age Reatta for Buick, a reborn SAAB Sonnet, or a Cadillac SLK competitor - you imagine it and draw it. And if you even think GMC or HUMMER styling cues could apply or want to show us an Oldsmobile what-if...give it a shot.

Again, we highly encourage you to design interiors along with multiple exterior views to really give a complete feel to your design. In these cars especially, interior design is paramount and we'd love to see awesome interiors with awesome exteriors. The only restriction aside from bodystyles is that this cannot be a Pontiac or Saturn! You already did that for the last competition - or should've! ;)

Please include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:
-3/4 Front View
-3/4 Rear View
-Interior View

**Entries without two perspectives will still be accepted, but will incur a 2-point penalty at the end of voting**

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above.

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this cannot be a Pontiac or Saturn vehicle.

The winner will recieve a GM-related prize!

Deadline is Tuesday, August 18th @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

Deadline is Tuesday, August 18th @ 11:59PM your local time.

?????..uh you mean September ...right ?

anyway....here is my rendering concept for this, yeah I used a photo base, but you all seem to be able to discern the difference between a render & a chop, so this is a render...more sketch views and a final presentation form to follow, once I get the scanner back up. As you will see this render was made from my sketches,,,

Call it a HOLDEN GTRX ( that was the base car) ....or a Chevy Stingray...entry level sportscar.

direct link to hi res version

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3053/gtrx1ev1.jpg

post-1820-1188486554_thumb.jpg

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

2010 Cadillac ALR (Allante Luxury Roadster)

Posted Image

lots of influence from the sixteen... i thought it would look good on a tiny car... it turned out pretty good for my first drawing in 5 months haha

Edited by 04monteintimidator

this one was spawned out of curiosity and boredom... basically a mini-wrangler type vehicle for hummer with a pickup truck-like bed, the circles with crosses in them represent where the center of the wheels would be and the random black bar in the middle of it is a roll-bar

Posted Image

Edited by 04monteintimidator

Here's mine. A Buick Wildcat roadster. Sketched, then redrawn in CorelDRAW.

Posted Image

original sketch. The headrest fairings flow back and meld into the CHMSL and the triple oval chromed tailpipes echo the trademark Buick portholes on the front fenders.

Posted Image

finished rendering of the front 3/4 view. The bright strip along the beltline is chrome that flows from the front fog lights and wraps the entire vehicle. It can't be a Buick without a little chrome. ^_^

Edited by JBarraxJr

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I redrew it with better perspective and more of a realistic look. I'm still calling it the Arvo ("afternoon" in Australian) and it is still from Holden. I left out the passenger seat in the front 3/4 view so you could see the details behind the seats. My pencil was dull and I couldn't find a sharpener, so I hope I didn't mess the whole thing up too badly. So, I guess I'm through with this one. We'll see how it does. *G*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by modelcitizen

Here's my fashionably-late Buick Silver Arrow kappa coupe:

Posted Image

The rear and roof are inspired by the Reatta, while the sides feature a toned-down version of the old Buick side sweep. The front is typical of the newer Buick design langauage. I tried to keep most of the structural kappa elements the same, however the chasis would be stretched slightly for this car.

Posted Image

The rear and roof are inspired by the Reatta, while the sides feature a toned-down version of the old Buick side sweep. The front is typical of the newer Buick design langauage. I tried to keep most of the structural kappa elements the same, however the chasis would be stretched slightly for this car.

I like it. :)

Posted Image

I love the sides; it reminds me of an early Corvette model.

Posted Image

I am loving this car, but it doesn't really look like it should be on the Kappa frame. You should give us a roadster version to compare. Are we even allowed to comment on here? Hmmmm....anyway, props. *G*

I wanted to do a Chevy concept, so I based it on an old Camaro sketch I did. I call it the Chevy AggreSSor, but I'm sure ya'll can come up with something better. I like "Aggressor," though because you could do something cool w/ the SS for the super sport version. This could even be stretched and made into a For Interceptor fighter, but for now it's a coupe/hard top convertable two-seater. It looks mean though! *G*

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am loving this car, but it doesn't really look like it should be on the Kappa frame. You should give us a roadster version to compare. Are we even allowed to comment on here? Hmmmm....anyway, props. *G*

What do you mean exactly? It looks too big for Kappa? I said it'd be stretched maybe and inch or two to give room because it is a Buick. Truthfully, I don't want Buick to make one because I don't think it'd be right for the division. An 6-series like Riviera would be perfect, however. It could even share the chasis of a CTS coupe.

I might try to do a convertible, but I was thinking about doing another, different Kappa.

gotta love technology

computer doesnt want to 'accept foreign disks'

my entry is here but needs to be uploaded.

should be here no later than saturday night.

an extension would be greatly appreciated.

What do you guys do for a living, if I'm not prying too much? *G*

I'm a product manager for a wholesale distributor of sign equipment and supplies. I have a bachelors degree in commercial art, so I have some formal art and graphic design training. Unfortunately I graduated in 1983 before the desktop publishing revolution took hold, so I'm still trying to teach myself photoshop and CorelDRAW and such. Edited by JBarraxJr