Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

FIRST GLIMPSE: 2010 Buick LaCrosse Interior

Flybrian

First Look at the 2010 LaCrosse  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the LaX Renderings?

• I like, love it, want some more of it!
    • Very good, but...
    • Not bad, was expecting more
    • Not much better than today's LaX
    • Back to the drawing board!

I put the pieces together (crudly). Check it out!

Posted Image

Very nice TED. Thanks for bringing it all together for us.

Regarding the steering wheel and not being about hold an air bag, how could it not? It's not that small and not as horizontal as the picture depicts. The center sections looks to be about the same size as the corporate 3-spoke. It will house an air bag.

Holy S&$* that's hot. I can't believe I'm saying that about a Buick. Come to think about it, I can't believe I'm saying that about a GM vehicle interior that isn't the new CTS. If this goes to market as is (which wouldn't have been possible 4 years go), Lexus will have to watch out.

You might want to go back and read the topic comments. Northstar stated production of the 2010 LaCrosse begins Jan'09. That's 15 months away! We'll be seeing it debut much sooner than that, so this really isn't too far in advance. :fryingpan::)

Still, the point can be made that silence is golden. Chrysler nearly overtook Ford in '57 because NOBODY anticipated the hysteria that the be-finned lovelies that Chrysler brought out that year. Both GM and Ford had to go back to the drawing boards, literally. There used to be a degree of secrecy in this business, but now everything is paraded out years in advance to guage reaction.

Still designing by committee? GM needs to just take a chance and catch the public off-guard for a change.

The direction for interior design is awesome. I think they have come up with a consistant harmony of themes for Buick to make it look upscale and attractive. It's nice to see creativity coming from somewhere these days. The Buick interior design reminds me of a lot of things... Fine craftmenship and materials used on expensive yatchs as well as curved and arched detailing characteristic of boating. The center stack even reminds me of fine detailing that was found in some cars of the 1930's and 40's. Very good indeed. The steering wheel is a great design and very unique.

What is so amazing is the forms are so clean and simple.. Very uncluttered and functional. Nothing there that doesn't have to be there nor taking no more room than it has too. It also efficiently puts center stack controls up high where they need to be.

I have always been a firm believer that everyhing should be designed like functional fine art with attention given to every single part on a vehicle to make it look the best and function appropriately in a well assembled quality manner.

GM is progressing quickly and leading. At this rate it's going to leave Ford in the dust.

Is there really anyone else leading in design like this these days?

Fortnately for GM, people moving out of their bigger BOF SUV's must have been satisfied with the quality of those vehicles enough that they are now switching over to GM's smaller carlike crossovers... I also believe when people are given a choice to buy "American" (however that is defined these days) coupled with a quality well designed vehicle they will tend to be more patriotic. I think GM has won back a lot of loyalty with proven reliability. Now they are focusing on making such vehicles with attractive design.

Edited by watchdevil

Very nice TED. Thanks for bringing it all together for us.

Regarding the steering wheel and not being about hold an air bag, how could it not? It's not that small and not as horizontal as the picture depicts. The center sections looks to be about the same size as the corporate 3-spoke. It will house an air bag.

++ to Ted

Regarding the steering wheel - the Horizontal wooden "oval" with the metallic insert draws the eyes to the side, disguising the thickness of the 3 o' clock and 9 o' clock spokes. Likewise, the light tan inserts between the 3 and 6 o' clock and the 6 and 9 o' clock spokes make the 6 o' clock spoke appear thinner than it actually is. Both work together to make the airbag housing look much smaller.

That's good design, folks, and I hope it makes it to one or more GM models unmolested.

-RBB

Edited by RBB

Okay... I'm going to say this... and please, no one throw any eggs at me...

I hope they put real wood in the next LaCrosse LOL

Now, this is also coming from my dad who misses Pontiacs and Buicks for the types of cars they used to be, and just used the quote the other day, "Back when they made real cars."

My cousin rented a Lucerne when she was here, and he took a ride in it. He said to me after, "I loved the car, thought the interior was very nice, very dressy, but what was with that wood?! It looked HORRIBLE... didn't even look like wood! C'mon, in a Buick there should be real wood."

Regarding the exterior of the Lacrosse, do you think it will have more styling cues from the Velite or the Shanghai Riv??? I unfortunately don't believe we will ever see the Velite in production o they might as well use some of its designs. Especially the front end of the car. By the way, I am a Buick junkie with an Enclave, Lucerne CXS and some classics as well. I so hope it will survive. There is something to me romantic about the old Buicks.

for one, Direct injection doesnt require scrapping of pushrods...

the ohv is a much lighter, cheaper, and less moving parts then its dohc counterparts... they can produce more hp/liter more hp/gallon of fuel...

GM has intentions of incorperating DI, VVT, AFM, etc on all models by 2010 time frame... along with 6 speeds...

and obviously your impression of buick only demistrates your youth...

I agree, there is a reason every blue haired lady in America either drives or wants a Buick, when they were young, Buicks were, indeed, what Lexus is today. Its a real shame that GM let Mercedes, Audi, Lexus. . . steal their thunder. I hope they can get it back. The Lucerne looks like an OK point in the right direction, the Enclave a step in the right direction, now I hope the new LaCrosse / Allure / Regal / Invicta is a leap in the right direction. I like the renderings of the new interior but I hope they don't do something stupid with the I-Drive like contoller. I've read a lot of bad stuff about I-Drive in the 7 series, and the best I've heard about "imporved" versions in other cars is that they weren't as bad as the 7 series. In my opinion the hood over the guages is too large. There's a lot of surface area there that isn't doing much of anything.

I very much appreciate that Buick has a lot of catching up to do, but if they only aim at catching up, they'll only be caught up. Aim higher, Buick. The HVAC / entertainment / Nav controls look well integrated, but is there a better way than I-Drive to dial things in?

++ to Ted

Regarding the steering wheel - the Horizontal wooden "oval" with the metallic insert draws the eyes to the side, disguising the thickness of the 3 o' clock and 9 o' clock spokes. Likewise, the light tan inserts between the 3 and 6 o' clock and the 6 and 9 o' clock spokes make the 6 o' clock spoke appear thinner than it actually is. Both work together to make the airbag housing look much smaller.

That's good design, folks, and I hope it makes it to one or more GM models unmolested.

-RBB

That should be 6 o'clock spokes, this is a proposal for the NG corporate 4-spoke steering wheel.

Okay... I'm going to say this... and please, no one throw any eggs at me...

I hope they put real wood in the next LaCrosse LOL

Now, this is also coming from my dad who misses Pontiacs and Buicks for the types of cars they used to be, and just used the quote the other day, "Back when they made real cars."

My cousin rented a Lucerne when she was here, and he took a ride in it. He said to me after, "I loved the car, thought the interior was very nice, very dressy, but what was with that wood?! It looked HORRIBLE... didn't even look like wood! C'mon, in a Buick there should be real wood."

There won't be any eggs coming from me! I was thinking the SAME THING. It's imperative that if no other divisions get real wood, Caddy and Buick must. Genuine materials, along with this fantastic design and other features (quiet tuning, et. all), will be Buick's saving grace. Without it, Buick WILL flounder into oblivion. Since Buick is forced into the BPG (a mistake, IMO, because with proper marketing and a proper lineup/product it could stand alone as a Lexus fighter), the only way to make an impression with luxury/near luxury shoppers is to use these real materials in there cars. It not only sets them above other GM cars (and below Caddy), but also will prompt cross shopping with other lux brands, which is Buick's ultimate goal.

Oh that's an awful interior. The centre console looks like they stuck some controls onto the front of an existing Buick vehicle. The wheel is hideous and the guages are awful. Great to see companies trying to advance interior design, but I doubt it will look like that on release. At least I hope not! :)

• 3 weeks later...

How the hell did I miss this? I'm an idiot.

This is some good stuff...very good stuff. After the Enclave, I am of the opinion that GM finally knows how to build Buick interiors (ie. cues, colors, materials, overall styling). My only concern would be that there is so much wood (real or plood in the flesh?). The CD opening in the center stack is beautiful - very art-y.

• 5 months later...

We could have had something of this caliber almost 2 decades ago if Buick hadnt gotten all wobbly kneed after building the Reatta and Grand National. I still have a Reatta and it is light years beyond anything made by Buick in the last decade. I am still a Buick fan (I gave my son my Corvette and drive my Reatta now) and would love to see them become relevent again. But I wont hold my breath. Bob Lutz talks big but dont forget he is the man that brought us the Aztek.

Edited by thenewdamage

Ummmmm, no. That was in development long before Lutz entered GM. Lutz removed the grey cladding, though, making it less repulsive.

It's scary to think it was worse.

It was worse? :blink:

*Has flashbacks of 90s buick century*

Century.....

You know what I'd LOVE to have today?

A mint, low-mileage Century Gran Sport. Lord that would be a rare find.....!

Anyone remember that car? SO low production.....but it was basically a Century T-Type coupe with a complete black-out package on it, two-tone GN-type black/grey bucket seats, but powered by the standard 3.8L V6......

(I was reading old car mags and ran across an ad Buick did for it.....)

That would be a rare find. 1980s A-body coupes in general were kind of rare. Seems like buyers went with 4-doors or G-body/H body coupes instead.

Century.....

Anyone remember that car? SO low production.....but it was basically a Century T-Type coupe with a complete black-out package on it, two-tone GN-type black/grey bucket seats, but powered by the standard 3.8L V6......

It was worse? :blink:

*Has flashbacks of 90s buick century*

I'm saying it was scary to think the Aztec was at once worse than it was before it went into production. I thought the production model was HORRENDOUS.

I'm saying it was scary to think the Aztec was at once worse than it was before it went into production. I thought the production model was HORRENDOUS.

No, the Aztek was much better in pre-production concept form. The production version WAS horrendous, which is why Lutz did a crash refresh of it for its second model year to remove the grey, bulging cladding and replace it with smooth body-colored cladding. Headlights were revised to change the amber to clear (less Tonka-looking), and the rear spoiler was added.

But I wont hold my breath. Bob Lutz talks big but dont forget he is the man that brought us the Aztek.

Not only is that incorrect, but in reference to Buick, we had the Rendezvous... which sold very well for Buick, brought in many new buyers, and justified Buick getting the wonderful Enclave. The Rendezvous was just executed better than the Aztek in almost every way.

The upcoming LaCrosse replacement will be better (I expect much better) than Buick's current sedan offerings. I'll be perfectly happy if it's named Invicta.

Century.....

I owned a 90 Buick Century. I never heard of the Century GS (I did know about the T-Type). I had to go find it for myself. Very cool car. Here is the link I found . . .

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2397357

• 9 months later...