160 replies to this topic

BigPontiac

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

I noticed this on the GMC.com site when building a 2008 Sierra:

All-Terrain Package, includes (PDL) Z71 Off-Road Package, (B58) front and rear carpeted floor mats with embroidered "ALL TERRAIN" logo, (RGA) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) chrome-clad aluminum wheels, (QXN) P265/65R18 on-/off-road blackwall tires, (DL3) outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding body-colored mirrors, (Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment, Rancho brand shocks that are White with Red letters, body-colored bodyside moldings with chrome accent, unique 4-bar horizontal grille insert with chrome surround, "ALL TERRAIN" badging on the front fenders, unique sill plates, unique instrument cluster with Z71 logo and mechanical brushed aluminum accents for instrument panel, center console and switch trim plates (GAT)

Then I found this buried in the gallery:
Posted Image
Posted Image

GMC Website Information

Edited by BigPontiac, 28 September 2007 - 12:29 PM.

Flybrian

Aurora Oldsmoborealis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,050 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

Someone call GMTruckGuy...he's going to sell his children for this.

gm4life

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

That looks sweet, will Chev get one?

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

Looks great, but I think it's a shame the seats aren't two tone.

jbartley

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

hot hot hot! it's like the z71, but for gmc.

FUTURE_OF_GM

The Lewis Black of C&G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

That badge placement looks horrible. And riddle me this in the age of duplication elimination; why the HELL is GMC still using "Z71"?

Derek77

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:44 PM

And riddle me this in the age of duplication elimination; why the HELL is GMC still using "Z71"?

Hear hear, I'll drink to that. :cheers:

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:08 PM

That badge placement looks horrible.

And riddle me this in the age of duplication elimination; why the HELL is GMC still using "Z71"?

Call it MARKETING. Since it's introduction with the 1988 redesign, customers have come to know that "Z71" means the GMC or Chevy full-size pickup is off-road ready. Whether the customer needs the extra off-roading equipment or not, it's much better to say you have a Z71-equipped truck then just saying it's a 4 wheel drive pickup. I wish I can recall where I read about this, but there was an article saying that customers resonate with Z71... it would be silly for either GMC or Chevy to abandon it. Notice that the Canyon & Colorado lost the ZR2 off-road package in 2004 and they too used Z71... Yukons and Tahoes had this option available on the 2-door models, it just wasn't advertised as such (until the redesigned 2000 Tahoe & Suburban Z71 package came along). Ford has FX4, Dodge has their package (can't remember what its called), and Toyota has their TRD package too. All the truck manufacturers have their off-roading trim blazened on their trucks somewhere.

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:23 PM

Someone call GMTruckGuy...he's going to sell his children for this.

Well, I wouldn't go that far :AH-HA_wink:

I have to say I'm a little disappointed... mainly because of the 18" rim design - I'm not crazy about the "star" shape they've chosen. I do like the Sierra Denali bodyside moldings better than the standard Sierra moldings and the upgraded chrome four-bar grille. I will agree that the fender emblem does look a little out of place. It's very close to the SEMA version; see attached picture for proof. I will need to see it in person to see if it really makes a statement over the regular Sierra crew cab model.

The funny thing is the wife and I saw a really nice black all-new 2007 Sierra Denali the other day on the road and she said "Why don't you get that one?" I said "You're trying to kill me, aren't you? You say we have to cut back on spending, yet you are encouraging me to get a $44k truck?" :stupid:

Attached Images

• 2006_GMC_Sierra_All_Terrain_Crew_Cab_Side_Angle_1920x1440.jpg

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

Thanks BigPontiac for posting this thread. :thumbsup: I've been waiting to see what the production version will look like.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,180 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:32 PM

Call it MARKETING. Since it's introduction with the 1988 redesign, customers have come to know that "Z71" means the GMC or Chevy full-size pickup is off-road ready. Whether the customer needs the extra off-roading equipment or not, it's much better to say you have a Z71-equipped truck then just saying it's a 4 wheel drive pickup. I wish I can recall where I read about this, but there was an article saying that customers resonate with Z71... it would be silly for either GMC or Chevy to abandon it. Notice that the Canyon & Colorado lost the ZR2 off-road package in 2004 and they too used Z71... Yukons and Tahoes had this option available on the 2-door models, it just wasn't advertised as such (until the redesigned 2000 Tahoe & Suburban Z71 package came along). Ford has FX4, Dodge has their package (can't remember what its called), and Toyota has their TRD package too. All the truck manufacturers have their off-roading trim blazened on their trucks somewhere.

So it's like Jeep's "TrailRated"

K.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

Ran my the local dealer and they have a brochure no the 08 All Terrain. I like the new grille, but not the badge placement on the fenders nor the wheels. They don't appear tough enough, but at least they are 18's and they aren't shared with the Silverado.

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

This package is available on SLE2 and SLT extended cab and crew cab pickups (BigPontiac, your subheading is incorrect).

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

Ran my the local dealer and they have a brochure no the 08 All Terrain. I like the new grille, but not the badge placement on the fenders nor the wheels. They don't appear tough enough, but at least they are 18's and they aren't shared with the Silverado.

K.C., are you saying that GMC dealers have a separate brochure (is it a hero card?) for the All-Terrain model? Or is it a section of the Sierra full-line brochure? I stopped by my local GMC dealership last night and they have no 2008 brochures available yet. I may have to call GM Marketing for these Sierra brochures right away today!

BigPontiac

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:18 PM

This package is available on SLE and SLT extended cab and crew cab pickups (BigPontiac, your subheading is incorrect).

The option only showed up when I built an SLT. (It also removed the sunroof as an option when picking the All Terrain package...) The info page has a passing reference to SLE2, but the specs page confirms. Headline adjusted.

Edited by BigPontiac, 18 September 2007 - 10:28 PM.

cad1cts

Stock Member

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

gmtruckguy- im just wondering why are you selling your sky?

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,539 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:11 AM

Seems like a nice package, something similar to what Ford has been doing for years with their F-150, with all their trim packages (and it calls to mind GMC special editions from the 70's). I kinda like those wheels, too.

Edited by ocnblu, 19 September 2007 - 04:11 AM.

RJB

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:10 AM

K.C., are you saying that GMC dealers have a separate brochure (is it a hero card?) for the All-Terrain model? Or is it a section of the Sierra full-line brochure? I stopped by my local GMC dealership last night and they have no 2008 brochures available yet. I may have to call GM Marketing for these Sierra brochures right away today!

Yup, its a stand alone doublesided flyer almost. It is a great looking truck in person, we have a bunch of them around here at work that are in the waiting to be pep vehicles. I think GM should give me one to drive even though I'm not an executive, I 'll gladly do it I swear. I don't mind the badge placement, but I think the Z71 and the All-Terrain package should be seperate packages, not grouped together.

I believe the seats were two-tone leather from the flyer, but my memory is about 10 seconds long anyway...what did I just say?!

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:23 AM

Yup, its a stand alone doublesided flyer almost. It is a great looking truck in person, we have a bunch of them around here at work that are in the waiting to be pep vehicles. I think GM should give me one to drive even though I'm not an executive, I 'll gladly do it I swear. I don't mind the badge placement, but I think the Z71 and the All-Terrain package should be seperate packages, not grouped together.

I believe the seats were two-tone leather from the flyer, but my memory is about 10 seconds long anyway...what did I just say?!

BigPontiac, I hope I didn't come off rude... I just wanted you to know that you can get this package on the SLE2 and SLT models and wanted to make sure others who read this topic knew that too (that you didn't have to get the top-of-the-line SLT in order to get this package). Thanks for taking the time to correct the heading :thumbsup:

RJB, thanks for the update on the brochure. It sounds like it's a hero card - the type they pass out at auto shows. I will definitely give GM Marketing a call today to request these brochures ('08 Sierra, All-Terrain Sierra, and if it's still separate, the Sierra Denali).

Also, since you work at the plant and see these trucks in person, how do the wheels come off to you? That one picture GMC is showing doesn't give me much to work with, but I'm not liking what I see. I feel that the wheels should be more substantial since it's an off-road packaged truck. The star-shape looks too blingy and not rough enough, at least from the one pic shown. Please keep us updated when they start to ship; when I visited the website for info, it said this package would be available in September 2007. Now I just have to start visiting other larger GMC dealerships than my smaller, local one to see if they get one in I can check out.

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:31 AM

Here's a small picture from the GM online ordering guide of the All-Terrain's 18" chrome-clad rim (RPO RGA):

Posted Image

And here's more about the package itself:

NEW! All-Terrain Package, includes (PDL) Z71 Off-Road Package, (B58) front and rear carpeted floor mats with embroidered "ALL TERRAIN" logo, (RGA) 18" x 8" (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) chrome-clad aluminum wheels, (QXN) P265/65R18 on-/off-road blackwall tires, (DL3) outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding body-colored mirrors, (Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment, Rancho brand shocks that are White with Red letters, body-colored bodyside moldings with chrome accent, unique 4-bar horizontal grille insert with chrome surround, "ALL TERRAIN" badging on the front fenders, unique sill plates, unique instrument cluster with Z71 logo and mechanical brushed aluminum accents for instrument panel, center console and switch trim plates.

1 (SLE2 3SB) - Requires T*10753 or T*10543 models. Requires (19C) Ebony Premium Cloth. Includes Vortec 5.3L V8 engine with an available upgrade to (L76) Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine. Also, includes (XA7) heated windshield washer fluid system. Mirrors are Black if (DPN) outside vertical camper mirrors is ordered. Not available with (CF5) power sunroof or (TRW) roof lamp provisions.

2 (SLT 4SA) - Requires T*10753 or T*10543 models. Requires (193) Ebony, (223) Morocco Brown/Ebony or (853) Light Titanium/Ebony Ultrasoft Leather-appointed trim. Includes Vortec 5.3L V8 engine with an available upgrade to (L76) Vortec 6.0L Variable Valve Timing V8 SFI engine. Mirrors are Black if (DPN) is ordered. Not available with (CF5) power sunroof.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users