• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

Jazzhead

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:08 AM

I dunno. Of the GM crossovers, I still like the Saturn Outlook best, but I was hoping the Traverse would be a smaller vehicle, not larger. What I need is a five passenger vehicle, not a seven-passenger behemoth. The Edge looks like the best fit, although a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD might fit the bill. The interior of the Traverse looks fine, though, and it should hit its target market quite well. GM is offering the market I represent the Saturn Vue, and it's okay, but that Edge is a best seller for a reason. It's simply an inspired looker, and the new Sport version will be very, very tempting.

The O.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE(Croc @ Feb 10 2008, 05:21 PM) View Post
Frankly, I think the dustbuster vans were competitive enough design-wise, but the reliability is what failed them.

....and introducing them withOUT airbags, and with a 3.1L, 120-hp, throttle-body-injected V6 (when other GM products were using the updated multi-port injected 3.1L with more power,etc.) and a 3-speed automatic transmission.

wacko.gif

Edited by The O.C., 14 February 2008 - 11:23 AM.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(The O.C. @ Feb 14 2008, 10:18 AM) View Post
....and introducing them withOUT airbags, and with a 3.1L, 120-hp, throttle-body-injected V6 and a 3-speed automatic transmission.

wacko.gif

Yeah, one thing GM did in the late '80s that was so stupid were the idiotic door mounted seat belts (I don't know if the dustbusters had them). Ford also had the stupid automatic seatbelts...meanwhile, Chrysler went to airbags in all their models around '88 or so..

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(moltar @ Feb 13 2008, 11:54 PM) View Post
Huh? By 1997 when the U-body came out the A-body was already 15 years old and out of production..that makes no sense...

Later GM FWD platforms shared many components and systems with the A-Body, in particular the W-body midsize cars and U-body minivans.

The U-Body Van was essentially a stretched A-Body... The First U-Body Vans came, in fact, in 1989 with the Dustbuster vans (although they were often incorrectly cited as A-Bodies themselves), they were heavily overhauled for 1997, but still shared their A-Body Lineage. This included suspension and other components.

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE(moltar @ Feb 14 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Yeah, one thing GM did in the late '80s that was so stupid were the idiotic door mounted seat belts (I don't know if the dustbusters had them).

Nope, Dustbusters had the B-Pillar mounted Seatbelts, like our old 1994 Trans Sport 3.8L. Our 1989 Grand Am did have the door mounted belts however...

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(vonVeezelsnider @ Feb 14 2008, 10:25 AM) View Post
The U-Body Van was essentially a stretched A-Body... The First U-Body Vans came, in fact, in 1989 with the Dustbuster vans (although they were often incorrectly cited as A-Bodies themselves), they were heavily overhauled for 1997, but still shared their A-Body Lineage. This included suspension and other components.

Wow...amazing. I always assumed the vans (dustbuster and later) were related to the GM-10/W bodies since the Lumina name was used on the car and the van.. GM definitely made a lot of use of their parts box of '80s FWD crapola..

regfootball

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 19,034 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(empowah @ Feb 13 2008, 03:35 PM) View Post
Interesting article I found on SaturnFans.com...

read that too. makes a great case for the outlook.

sciguy_0504

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:29 AM

The interior looks good. I like the fact that the Malibu design was used as an inspiration. The front looks good, too, almost looks Pontiac-ish. However, the rear is horrible, a bastardization of the Enclave. Overall, it's too much of a mish-mash of different Lambdas.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,504 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(moltar @ Feb 14 2008, 12:21 PM) View Post
Yeah, one thing GM did in the late '80s that was so stupid were the idiotic door mounted seat belts (I don't know if the dustbusters had them). Ford also had the stupid automatic seatbelts...meanwhile, Chrysler went to airbags in all their models around '88 or so..

Not quite all of them, I think it was 1991 that the entire lineup had airbags.

rkmdogs

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

I can't believe my eyes!
13 pages of crapola about everything under the sun, instead of an intelligent commentary about the
Traverse!
Why don't you marketing wanna-bes go play on another thread. This was supposed to be commentary on
Chevy's new product, good, bad or indifferent----- it is like the sunrise. It's coming tomorrow, and you are not
going to stop it.
To digress and go into all this otherB/S, is a waste of time and space!
But I have become guilty of my own lament-------

Everyone is ignoring the 500lb Gorilla in the living room, or the elephant in the refrigerator(choose your own
metaphor).
The Traverse is intended primarily as a family vehicle with lots of versatility. It appears to be the Generals
mini-van replacement for an Astro-sized vehicle.(Which is sorely missed)
BUT IT IGNORES CURRENT REALITY in the economy and fuel market issues!

This is a vehicle that should be on the short list to receive the new VM Motori V6 diesel!
Volkswagen is gonna have one. Subaru is gonna have one. Mercedes is gonna have one. Even BMW is gonna have one.
Are the GM planners so afraid of the political pundits out there on the West coast that they ignore reality ----
or maybe they have their own political agenda. 2nd generation, or Bluetooth Diesels are the practical way to improve on our fuel situation in the shortest period of time.

If they come out with a diesel option ----- I'll consider buying one and give up my Chrysler Town&Country! ---
even tho I'd lose my stow n' go seats!--- The greatest thing since sliced bread and motherhood for us old
farts who need multi-purpose vehicles! party0045.gif

Edited by rkmdogs, 18 February 2008 - 10:39 PM.

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

RKM, you're right about the MPG... It needs to be better. Our Venture got 19MPG City, the Impala gets 21 City... Traverse MPG would have to be as good as our Impala to be considered...

b_rad21

Stock Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

This is even more ugly in person. The fourth rebadge is just not right. They should have stuck with a minivan variant. The reactons from Toronto were nothing but bad regarding this vehicle.
It really just hurts the image of GM and the rebadging practise.

CARBIZ

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(b_rad21 @ Feb 25 2008, 02:25 PM) View Post
This is even more ugly in person. The fourth rebadge is just not right. They should have stuck with a minivan variant. The reactons from Toronto were nothing but bad regarding this vehicle.

blink.gif

Opinions are like.....well, you know the rest.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(b_rad21 @ Feb 25 2008, 12:25 PM) View Post

The Lambdas are not rebadges..they are distinct vehicles sharing the same platform..

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:01 PM

After seeing the Chevy a few days ago I can say it fits the line up well and should do well if value priced as a Chevy.

On the other hand I never understood the Saturn. It just did not fit their image of a import or even euro style. While it is not a bad vehicle I would not be upset if it went away.

Even with the platform modifications 4 of these platforms is too much. I am not counting the Cadillac as it has been mived very upscale to the others.

I see the Buick and GMC removed enough to fit different styles as one looks more truck like vs the other. I see the Chevy as the family value vehicle and can be sold cheaper for those who don't need all the bells as whisles.

The O.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(moltar @ Feb 25 2008, 07:47 PM) View Post
The Lambdas are not rebadges..they are distinct vehicles sharing the same platform..

A great example of a "rebadge" is the Taurus/Sable.

Same body, same powertrains, same interiors......the only differences are (minimal) front and rear styling changes, wheels, and the availability of light-colored wood trim in the Sable.

At least the Lambdas all have unique interiors.....and more significant styling changes.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(hyperv6 @ Feb 25 2008, 09:01 PM) View Post
After seeing the Chevy a few days ago I can say it fits the line up well and should do well if value priced as a Chevy.

On the other hand I never understood the Saturn. It just did not fit their image of a import or even euro style. While it is not a bad vehicle I would not be upset if it went away.

I think the Outlook is there to keep the Saturn dealers happy...if they didn't have it, they'd scream...

The O.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(moltar @ Feb 25 2008, 08:06 PM) View Post
I think the Outlook is there to keep the Saturn dealers happy...if they didn't have it, they'd scream...

.....just like the Pontiac dealers screamed about a G5....? LOL

ponchoman49

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

I think this will do quite well if the base price is considerably lower than the other Lambdas and kudos for the Malibu inspired interior, bodyside moldings, dash and blending in of the best design elements from the Enclave and Acadia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users