Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(Dodgefan @ Feb 7 2008, 10:40 AM) View Post
So they did even less to the car. laugh.gif

All new my ass.

For a MMC, actually quite a lot has changed.

C.H.U.D.

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:09 PM

I guess they figured that nobody buys these anyway so they can claim "all new" without too many noticing.

2000GPGT

Stock Member

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:18 PM

This car is really hard on the eyes.

It is painfully ugly.

carman21

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

Apparently, the Japanese have crack, too. scratchchin.gif

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

This looks very close to the old one that nobody bought, just with an uglier grille, so even less people will buy this. It seems all they did was add some wood trim to the inside and put the new grille on and call it a day. That is worse than Buick trying to pass the LaCrosse Super off as something new.

No V8, no success. Can't compete against the Germans with a V6 only car. They at least could have done a diesel or hybrid that got 25 mpg, at least then it would have an advantage over other cars, but this is like a run of the mill average luxury car from 2005 trying to compete in 2009.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,623 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE(smk4565 @ Feb 8 2008, 11:15 AM) View Post
This looks very close to the old one that nobody bought, just with an uglier grille, so even less people will buy this. It seems all they did was add some wood trim to the inside and put the new grille on and call it a day. That is worse than Buick trying to pass the LaCrosse Super off as something new.

No V8, no success. Can't compete against the Germans with a V6 only car. They at least could have done a diesel or hybrid that got 25 mpg, at least then it would have an advantage over other cars, but this is like a run of the mill average luxury car from 2005 trying to compete in 2009.

Actually, the Lacrosse Super does have a much larger engine over the lesser versions and is the fastest Buick ever built. Handling is also said to be top notch for a large FWD V8.

Sadly, the Lacrosse Super ends up having more claim to "all new" than this RL.

The O.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

I wasn't an RL fan to begin with......and this MCE does nothing to make me a fan.......

This car has always been a true product and marketing disaster for Honda......whatever happened to the "Legend?" They should have built upon the reputation that car had originally. The first gen (and maybe the second gen) Legends were truly nice cars....and had a bit of "verve" to them.....

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,380 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Oldsmoboi @ Feb 8 2008, 09:18 AM) View Post
Actually, the Lacrosse Super does have a much larger engine over the lesser versions and is the fastest Buick ever built.

????? Faster than a GNX?

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 29,623 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(moltar @ Feb 8 2008, 12:13 PM) View Post
????? Faster than a GNX?

Higher top speed. I think the GNX is still fastest to accelerate.

Lamar

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(The O.C. @ Feb 8 2008, 12:11 PM) View Post
I wasn't an RL fan to begin with......and this MCE does nothing to make me a fan.......

This car has always been a true product and marketing disaster for Honda......whatever happened to the "Legend?" They should have built upon the reputation that car had originally. The first gen (and maybe the second gen) Legends were truly nice cars....and had a bit of "verve" to them.....

Granted, it's still a Legend... outside of North America, that is. Japan's Honda Legend = our Acura RL. Speaking of which, I wonder how the updated Legend will look in Japan.

It seems that Acura's focus shifted away from its flagship sedan to its other products. Shame that only two of those products, the TL and TSX, are worth looking at.

My mother leased a '90 Legend back in the day... one of the best rides I remember from being young. It is a shame to see the way the car has faded into irrelevancy...

The O.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(Lamar @ Feb 8 2008, 09:34 AM) View Post
Granted, it's still a Legend... outside of North America, that is. Japan's Honda Legend = our Acura RL. Speaking of which, I wonder how the updated Legend will look in Japan.

It seems that Acura's focus shifted away from its flagship sedan to its other products. Shame that only two of those products, the TL and TSX, are worth looking at.

My mother leased a '90 Legend back in the day... one of the best rides I remember from being young. It is a shame to see the way the car has faded into irrelevancy...

Many cars have faded away....."Maxima" is another one that's been a lost cause....!

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,380 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(Oldsmoboi @ Feb 8 2008, 10:15 AM) View Post
Higher top speed. I think the GNX is still fastest to accelerate.

Ahh... but I couldn't imagine anyone taking a LaCrosse more than 80 mph, though... what's the point.

siegen

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(smk4565 @ Feb 8 2008, 08:15 AM) View Post
This looks very close to the old one

It has actually changed a lot more than you give it credit for (for better or for worse). It is a "refresh" not a new model. Significant exterior changes, a new engine (with vtec on exhaust for the first time on the SOHC V6 engines -still not sure how that works), much revised suspension and AWD system, and several new luxury features (10-way power passenger seat, heater/cooled, etc etc I don't remember most of the changes off the top of my head).

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,380 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(siegen @ Feb 8 2008, 10:57 AM) View Post
It has actually changed a lot more than you give it credit for (for better or for worse). It is a "refresh" not a new model. Significant exterior changes, a new engine (with vtec on exhaust for the first time on the SOHC V6 engines -still not sure how that works), much revised suspension and AWD system, and several new luxury features (10-way power passenger seat, heater/cooled, etc etc I don't remember most of the changes off the top of my head).

Minor cosmetic changes to the exterior...the decklid and maybe front fenders are the only metal changes I can see..the rest of the exterior changes are just plastic..

Lamar

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(The O.C. @ Feb 8 2008, 12:37 PM) View Post
Many cars have faded away....."Maxima" is another one that's been a lost cause....!

It's not so much a "lost cause" as it is overlapped by other models.

I'd like to see the Maxima reestablished as the flagship Nissan sedan, because the new Altima went the Malibu route (or vice-versa) and caused competition within the brand.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,380 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(Lamar @ Feb 8 2008, 11:15 AM) View Post

I'd like to see the Maxima reestablished as the flagship Nissan sedan, because the new Altima went the Malibu route (or vice-versa) and caused competition within the brand.

Yeah..the Altima used to a small midsize or compact, then grew and overlapped the Maxima.. and the Maxima used to be primarily a FWD sports sedan but the current generation seems to be moving more towards a large pseudo-luxury FWD model like the Avalon..

Lamar

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(moltar @ Feb 8 2008, 01:18 PM) View Post
Yeah..the Altima used to a small midsize or compact, then grew and overlapped the Maxima.. and the Maxima used to be primarily a FWD sports sedan but the current generation seems to be moving more towards a large pseudo-luxury FWD model like the Avalon..

Which I don't mind, actually, as long as it's involving to drive, unlike the Avalon.

The O.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(Lamar @ Feb 8 2008, 10:15 AM) View Post

I've said it before......the G35 has kindof taken over the stance of Nissan's "sports sedan." (Even if it's badged an Infiniti.) If you think about it, the G35 is kindof a spiritual successor to the old Maxima 4DSC.....even if it's not FWD.

It would be kinda cool to see a decontented and restyled RWD G35 introduced as a new Nissan Maxima!

Lamar

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(The O.C. @ Feb 9 2008, 07:51 PM) View Post
I've said it before......the G35 has kindof taken over the stance of Nissan's "sports sedan." (Even if it's badged an Infiniti.) If you think about it, the G35 is kindof a spiritual successor to the old Maxima 4DSC.....even if it's not FWD.

It would be kinda cool to see a decontented and restyled RWD G35 introduced as a new Nissan Maxima!

I was about to nono.gif that idea until I looked up some specs... the G35 and Maxima are actually similar in wheelbase (G35 is actually a bit longer).

Maybe not decontented and restyled, but at least using that same platform. It's flexible enough... already underpins the Z and the Infiniti M as evidence of that. scratchchin.gif

But back on topic: My wife really likes the current TL. For her sake, I hope Acura doesn't screw up on the '09. I want her to have what she wants when it's time for her to upgrade her car.

MyerShift

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

Honda's Acura division seemed to have its best style car-wise With the current TL and TSX. It surprised me when the Honda Legend (Acura RL) wasn't sharper and more attractive. With the new MDX, updated RL, and no longer existent RSX, the appeal and semi-Italinate sheet metal that the TSX and TL had seem to be going by the wayside for me is greatly diminished.

In my humble opinion, they might as well shut Acura down, or just integrate it back into Honda as more "premium Hondas" such as some Infiniti models with Nissan in Japan, and Lexus with Toyota.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users