• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

NOS2006

V-Series Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

I'm agreeing with all the those saying that 402 HP isn't enough. We want the extra 25-30 that we know this engine has!

regfootball

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

i can't believe all the f-cking bitching.

the gto was never good enough. the g8 is worlds above the GTO and we get a rear drive 400 hp manual trans sedan with tasteful good looks and people are still bitching.

Jesus Christ. 400, 430, none of you have the skill the drive to make a difference with the extra 30 hp. My God. Can you not just be pleased with a 400hp rwd man trans pontiac that can perform 95% to the level of a BMW for a lot less $$$$$?

considering gas will be like 3.50 or more this summer, pissing about 30hp on a car with 400 already seems to be rather insane.

did anyone ever consider that maybe its easier to get the extra hp on the vette because of easier exhaust plumbing?

You want the extra hp, go ahead and spend the dough for some mods yourself.

Edited by regfootball, 16 March 2008 - 04:12 PM.

SuperSport623

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

i guarentee in a month or two GM High Tech Performance magazine will have every mod done to a G8 already.. and the GXP as well at launch

gm4life

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

Sweet but where is my sports-wagon? They think a truck will sell better? (I am doubting it.)

blackviper8891

Schwarze Schafe

• Editor/Reporter
  • 12,050 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(regfootball @ Mar 16 2008, 06:08 PM) View Post

the gto was never good enough. the g8 is worlds above the GTO and we get a rear drive 400 hp manual trans sedan with tasteful good looks and people are still bitching.

Jesus Christ. 400, 430, none of you have the skill the drive to make a difference with the extra 30 hp. My God. Can you not just be pleased with a 400hp rwd man trans pontiac that can perform 95% to the level of a BMW for a lot less $$$$$?

considering gas will be like 3.50 or more this summer, pissing about 30hp on a car with 400 already seems to be rather insane.

did anyone ever consider that maybe its easier to get the extra hp on the vette because of easier exhaust plumbing?

I have to agree with Reg here, and considering how rare that is, you know it's a good point. tongue.gif

402 horsepower is more than enough. 4.7 seconds to 60 is more than fast enough. As well, it's going to be a huge bargain next to its SRT8 rivals. Who cares how much horsepower a vehicle has if it can keep up or beat a vehicle with more horsepower. It's not about how much, its about what you can do with the existing amount. Playing numbers is just a unneeded penis enhancing game.

The O.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(Northstar @ Mar 16 2008, 11:40 AM) View Post
When Edmunds tested the G8 GT they lined it up next to a Charger SRT-8, and the Charger just barely won each time. I think that is where the comment about the G8 GT being almost as fast as the SRT-8s comes from.

Oh.....but he said the G8 GT was "faster" than......and the GXP should "smoke" the SRTs......

I think it will be a good race between the GXP and SRT-8s.......remember, we don't know how much the GXP will weigh......LX SRT-8 sedans and G8 GTs are pretty close in curb weight.....so we'll have to see....

turbo200

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

I'd be in support of chokeholds on the engine, by transmission, emission...that are easily reversable....in order to meet stricter CAFE/emission standards. So, even though this may not be the case here, we all know the LS line of engines are easily modifiable. 400 hp is so much for the average person. It's more than enough. There is no reason to complain. Let's be happy the car is here and not shelved like the beautiful Impala we heard so much about.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

The 6.2 liter in the Escalade is 403 hp, perhaps the Vette has better air intake, and exhaust that gives it an advantage. It also depends on how effectively they can put the power on the ground, maybe the GXP accelerates better with 402 hp than with 430 or more because of wheel hop or some other issue. Or maybe GM is just using the old "nothing can have as much power as a Corvette" rule they like to use.

They are over the magic 400 number, so that should be enough to get G8 buyers to pay extra for the GXP, unless the GXP is significantly more than the GT and people don't think the price is worth the extra 40 hp. My complaint is that it seems Pontiac recycled all the old plastic body cladding into a gray, rubbermaid interior. The G8 interior is almost as bad as the Charger's.

The BMW 135i does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds with 300 hp. Horsepower number isn't everything, depends on how you use it. And I'm aware the 135i is 2 door and more like a Shelby Mustang or Camaro SS competitor if you were going to compare it to an American car.

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

From what I've been hearing so far:

1) The HP numbers are underrated

2) the intake is a major restriction and VE owners in Oz have gotten huge gains by going aftermarket.

3) The computer program limits the engine artificially, should be a fairly easy mod as well.

Can't swear to any of this, but that's the story floating around.

FUTURE_OF_GM

The Lewis Black of C&G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

LOOK.

Nobody's complaining, it was just a thought.

I said I like the car a lot and that says quite a bit coming from a person who hated the G8 when it was first launched. I don't know what else you could ask for.

fiery.gif censored.gif cussing.gif

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM, 16 March 2008 - 07:50 PM.

eldiablobanshee

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(The O.C. @ Mar 16 2008, 08:06 PM) View Post
Oh.....but he said the G8 GT was "faster" than......and the GXP should "smoke" the SRTs......

I think it will be a good race between the GXP and SRT-8s.......remember, we don't know how much the GXP will weigh......LX SRT-8 sedans and G8 GTs are pretty close in curb weight.....so we'll have to see....

I wrote my statement after reading my new motor trend mag were they had a G8 GT up against a charger R/T. The G8 GT out handled and out accelerated the R/T by a far margin and motor trend showed that its numbers compared better to the last charger SRT-8 they tested.
On a side note motor trend had a comparison test in the same mag of a mustang GT premium against the base model of the top mustang tuners (sellen,roush, and shelby) the G8 GTs numbers were better or very close to all of them and the G8 was cheaper than the stock mustang.

AAS

Camaro Member #1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(smk4565 @ Mar 16 2008, 06:16 PM) View Post
The BMW 135i does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds with 300 hp. Horsepower number isn't everything, depends on how you use it. And I'm aware the 135i is 2 door and more like a Shelby Mustang or Camaro SS competitor if you were going to compare it to an American car.

Really? Where did you get that number? BMW claims 5.1 for the MT and 5.2 for the AT.

turbo200

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(smk4565 @ Mar 16 2008, 06:16 PM) View Post
My complaint is that it seems Pontiac recycled all the old plastic body cladding into a gray, rubbermaid interior. The G8 interior is almost as bad as the Charger's.

huh? [Scooby Doo ears]

The G8 interior is about as minimalist as you can get, free of unnecessary touches and complete with enough bling and overall elegance to fully satisfy the average person just looking for a classy interior. It's pretty nice in there. Coming from someone who loves Audi, MB, BMW interior design.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(AAS @ Mar 16 2008, 09:11 PM) View Post
Really? Where did you get that number? BMW claims 5.1 for the MT and 5.2 for the AT.

Car and Driver online, with the manual transmission. The 335i has been clocked as low as 4.9 seconds, the 135i weighs less. BMW claims are usually a little slower than what the car can really do. Just like the 300 hp claim is probably low when the dyno test showed 270-275 on the 335i.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(turbo200 @ Mar 16 2008, 09:15 PM) View Post
huh? [Scooby Doo ears]

The G8 interior is about as minimalist as you can get, free of unnecessary touches and complete with enough bling and overall elegance to fully satisfy the average person just looking for a classy interior. It's pretty nice in there. Coming from someone who loves Audi, MB, BMW interior design.

It isn't nice, it is monotone dark gray plastic with 90s Stratus style A/C vents and panel gaps on the dashboard to the left and right of the steering wheel. The Malibu interior is better and costs $10,000 less. The G8 interior is a half step up from a Mazda 3.

Chevy Nick

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

I don't think some of you gentlemen understand the engine hp rating issues. In the past, Corvette and Camaro had the same ls1 engine. Corvette was rated at 350 hp, Camaro was rated 325. When they were both put on the same dyno, guess what? the made the exact same power. The GXP will probably get the exact same LS3 engine as the vette, it's just that GM is only claiming 402 hp. It's marketing bullshit.

SuperSport623

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Chevy Nick @ Mar 16 2008, 10:12 PM) View Post
I don't think some of you gentlemen understand the engine hp rating issues. In the past, Corvette and Camaro had the same ls1 engine. Corvette was rated at 350 hp, Camaro was rated 325. When they were both put on the same dyno, guess what? the made the exact same power. The GXP will probably get the exact same LS3 engine as the vette, it's just that GM is only claiming 402 hp. It's marketing bullshit.

exactly.. its the 50 year old "Nothing touches the Vette" rule...

regfootball

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:31 PM

comparing a car that will fit 4 real adults and luggage to a tiny 2 door poseur car (albeit one with good manners and power) that can't even fit an overnight bag in the back seat is not a valid comparo.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,481 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(regfootball @ Mar 16 2008, 06:08 PM) View Post

Well spoken Reg

On another note, it appears smk has decided to pull numbers and misguided views out of his ass yet again.

turbo200

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(smk4565 @ Mar 16 2008, 07:32 PM) View Post
It isn't nice, it is monotone dark gray plastic with 90s Stratus style A/C vents and panel gaps on the dashboard to the left and right of the steering wheel. The Malibu interior is better and costs $10,000 less. The G8 interior is a half step up from a Mazda 3.

What are you talking about man, just go sit in the car. Just. Do. It.

Have you sat in one? Just answer that question first, honestly, and this will give us your qualification for your claims.

I am a seriously critical person when it comes to interior design. I am seriously critical of all forms of design, from jeans, to homes, to women. And I am seriously critical of quality, from fabric to plastics to metals. And I'm critical of all things that have been engineered, created from start to finish. One of the first things that started to wear on me about my Civic ['07 Navi] was the interior design. Like it never actually appealed to me all that much. It has its nice touches, Navi helps, but the design fails to meet my standards, even though I can say there are spices of good design.

All that being said, the Mazda 3 has a fine interior for the mid class sector. Meaning, you could transplant much of what makes this interior a winner into any under 30k car. For the price, quality does get better, mostly in VW and the Accord, I guess, when comparing to the Mazda3 [newer crossovers like the Murano, CX series don't really count as those can get into the mid to high 30's pretty easily].

When talking strictly cars and its price class, there is not anything you can say against the G8, for its price class. It generally competes with loaded Accords and Camrys, and has quality equivalent to those with what to my eyes is a superior design. I guess the Legacy GT has a higher quality [though I haven't been in this car in a long while]. Look, I'm not blowing smoke, if I say the interior quality is acceptable, it just is. It's no circa-2000 Passat, but then not many surpass VW's incredible touch for quality. Just want to clarify what I'm talking about here, your first time in the 2000 Passat, whenever that was, well close to the intro date, not now, you would have said, wow, this is seriously nice, and everything was just right. That wow factor isn't necessarily there in the G8, except that everything does feel right, but not necessarily shockingly good like the Passat was then.

All in all the design works. It works really well. Sit in the back seat and you get a sense of an elegant, purposeful sedan. No misses here. No misses. It could be fancier, it could be a more eye-catching design, like the Malibu, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and the design fits the character of the car really well.

Edited by turbo200, 17 March 2008 - 12:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users