Sketch Competition #24 - G5 Replacement

Welcome to Sketch Competition #24!

GMC2006073139309_PV.jpg
GMC2006073139447_PV.jpg

A couple years back when the G5 debuted, we believed it to be a stopgap to fill the spot between Pontiac's Sunfire and a new RWD entry-level vehicle. Well, the time to replace this vehicle is coming up quickly, but time is changing the industry even quicker as CAFE and the government rule automakers' say in what they produce. Will the G5 remain the same size? Will it become more aerodynamic? Will it even be RWD in its next generation? Why don't you give us an idea of what we could expect in a few more years.

Should you accept, your task will be to design a next generation Pontiac G5. Right now all we know is that the industry is getting tight to make cars smaller and more fuel efficient... but what will Pontiac do since the G5 already is small and relatively fuel efficient? Remember, the BMW 1-Series was just released; will the new G5 target this car and go RWD like we're all hoping? Perhaps it'll be an AWD turbocharged rally-type car. You be the judge!

Please include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:
*3/4 Front View
*3/4 Rear View
*Interior View

**Entries without two perspectives will still be accepted, but will incur a 2-point penalty at the end of voting**

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views the better, including ones not specifically listed above.

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this should be a Pontiac entry-level car.

Deadline is Thursday, April 26th @ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck!

front view is the convertible... rear is the coupe not the vert w/ hardtop up

G5.jpg

Edited by 04monteintimidator

That's actually a G8 isn't it?

As for uploading the pic,

1.jpg

First upload your pic to any image hosting service of your choice such as photobucket, imageshack, fileden or others, copy the url to the clipboard, and click on the button I have circled in red above and paste that url, then bingo. You have just posted an image.

Or, just use the tag and close it with / before it for the ending tag after inserting the url between it.

OK, I see the difference. It sure looked alike, but upon looking at it the second time, it WAS a bit smaller and a bit different.

My bad.

Yep. At least for this generation of cars, the G-8 is a preview of the new family "face" of Pontiac (so to speak). I predict the next generation will undergo a design renaissance.

GM has a lot going on. Chevy & Buick are undergoing a make over. Cadillac & Saturn are starting the second generation of their new found design direction and now the focus is (thankfully) shifting to SAAB.

I fear, though, that the new Cafe standards hold the fate of this brand......

smallg5tempestdp3.th.jpg

Just the coupe G5 Tempest, would also have a sedan. Rwd, same engines as the current car with the addition of the 2.0L turbo for the GXP model. Could also have that Opel 1.5L turbo for the more economy-minded motorist. 5-speed auto-manual would be standard, with 6-speed manual optional.

smallg5tempestdp3.th.jpg

Just the coupe G5 Tempest, would also have a sedan. Rwd, same engines as the current car with the addition of the 2.0L turbo for the GXP model. Could also have that Opel 1.5L turbo for the more economy-minded motorist. 5-speed auto-manual would be standard, with 6-speed manual optional.

This one has potential.

Cool, I now have 3 favorites to vote for. :rolleyes: The last one's interior isn't really my cup of tea, but I am a sucker for the headlights that go over a bit of a hood, like my current Grand Prix does, and I love the overal shape of it. Swoopy designs that I look for in a sporty car. :thumbsup:

Can't wait until the voting begins, for I want to see whose will be a winner. For I am just in for the fun, for I doubt anyone will vote for either of mine that seems to be the worst of the pack here. It seems like the 4th position I finished on the HHR contest can't happen here, I just think I'll be lucky to get any votes on either one of mine.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

That looks pretty nice, but I think that the front does not look like a pontiac and you should have tried to make the wheels less flat. Overall though, I really like it!

Thank you. I've never been really good at wheels, hence me not drawing them in the second one. Why do you think the front doesn't look like a Pontiac? Just curious, because I put special attention into putting Pontiac cues into it. I put the badge on the hood (instead of between the grilles) in reference to the mid-60's GTO. The wide grilles themselves are also in imitation of the early second-gen Firebird (the best Pontiac design to me). Originally, I had the headlamps sweep up the fenders, but decided horizontal was more distinct.

Also, as an aside, I did that in about an hour and a half in front of my computer. So, I'm reasonably pleased with it.

Argen, I think the reason why it doesn't look like a Pontiac to me is the grill. I don't know why really but I think the grill needs to be a bit sharper ( point) at the sides of the grill. That's just how I view pontiacs. Still looks nice to me though. :thumbsup: