Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The Intrepid Project

Actually, it's not just SSR's that got painted purple. My friend Chuck Groome got one almost new that was purple from the factory...NICE looking intrepid.

What I loved about my Concorde was that it was such a "wife friendly" car. The LH cars will handle, and my wife just loved driving ours.

And DF, I'm glad someone else noticed that about black. Our receptionist at work drives a black Z71 extended cab, and she had it repainted so that it would be a true black.

BIG difference.

Worst color seems to be from Toyota, seriously, I've seen it on some Scions and some Tundra's, it's a black that's metallic-really just a really dark grey and it looks like dog crap.

The nice thing about the proportions with the car is the interior layout...you, Camino and Rob can look at the outside all you want. I enjoyed the long car trip+plenty of rear seat room+comfort for the wife=no arguements and an enjoyable trip.

Chris

Actually, it's not just SSR's that got painted purple. My friend Chuck Groome got one almost new that was purple from the factory...NICE looking intrepid.

What I loved about my Concorde was that it was such a "wife friendly" car. The LH cars will handle, and my wife just loved driving ours.

And DF, I'm glad someone else noticed that about black. Our receptionist at work drives a black Z71 extended cab, and she had it repainted so that it would be a true black.

BIG difference.

Worst color seems to be from Toyota, seriously, I've seen it on some Scions and some Tundra's, it's a black that's metallic-really just a really dark grey and it looks like dog crap.

The nice thing about the proportions with the car is the interior layout...you, Camino and Rob can look at the outside all you want. I enjoyed the long car trip+plenty of rear seat room+comfort for the wife=no arguements and an enjoyable trip.

Chris

Yeah, I still think the interior design of the Charger is a step backwards from the Intrepid. the MCE made it better, but it lacks the flow of the Intrepid.

The interior is even nicer when you've got 300M bits in it. :P

The Chargers low roofline in the rear just kills it. i have a few friends who work in car sales, and one of them took an SRT8 Charger in trade on a Shelby Mustang. He had me come out and look at the SRT8 Charger (never mind I could never afford it!).

I was in love until I sat in the back seat....ughhh...low roofline...

BTW, the SRT8 was also silver and looked just fabulous!

Another car you almost never see in silver that looks good in silver is the 66-67 Charger. That roofline looks so good in silver, just kind of flowing.

Chris

Looks great! Maybe I just wasn't clear in my other post. I like the Charger from the outside, I just need more rear seat headroom (three teenage children living at home).

That is a big advantage the FWD cars have over the (new) RWD Chargers.

Tell us about the test drive with everything all together!

Chris

Looks great! Maybe I just wasn't clear in my other post. I like the Charger from the outside, I just need more rear seat headroom (three teenage children living at home).

That is a big advantage the FWD cars have over the (new) RWD Chargers.

Tell us about the test drive with everything all together!

Chris

One of the things I've never liked about the Charger, Magnum, and 300 is how tall and flat the doors are relative to the greenhouse....I just don't care for the high beltline and tiny side windows. Had there been more lower body contouring they would look better, IMHO.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I have to say, the LH is one of the best proportioned FWD cars ever.

I'd agree. Guess who was in charge when they were designed?

Why GM doesn't just let him run the whole freaking show is beyond me.

Plenum off...

DSCF6255.jpg

DSCF6256.jpg

Broken Plenum where the PCV valve goes into the plenum the plenum seam had split causing air to seep in.

DSCF6261.jpg

Intrepid of the lhforum members who came by to give me a hand.

DSCF6257.jpg

Installed!

DSCF6259.jpg

DSCF6260.jpg

Took about 3 hours, mainly because we went to the parts story to get some throttle bodyy cleaner and a new PCV hose, oh and the EGR tubes at the back are a b*itch to get on.

Sounds much better now. There's a exhaust leak by right cat...taking it in to have that taken care tomorrow.

Now it's dead. :mellow:

Went to move it after I got done cleaning the tree sap off and it went dead. Looked at it this morning and the positive terminal (connector) was not only not secured, but it was cracked and covered in corrosion. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's the problem. Got a new one today but it rained all day,s o I'm getting up early to replace it. Assuming (and hoping) that's the only problem, it's going to get the exhaust leak fixed.

If all goes well it's heading over to a fellow LHforum member's house (guy who helped with the plenum) for a thorough detailing.

Then there's another meet going on in August...supposed to be a weekend thing where we'll tinker with the cars. I'd like to do an ATC upgrade among other things.

Sounds like you need a long ride in the Intrepid, followed by a "heart attack on a plate"

For some reason cars and comfort food, mixed with music, is an unbeatable combo.

Chris

Well the exhaust leak is better, but still there, and so is a hissing sound when you rev the engine. However it's to the point where it's not that noticeable with the windows up. I think it might be from one of the EGR tubes.

The clanging sound might be the a/c compressor. I need to figure out if that's teh case or not. If so, I'll probably take the belt off for the time being until I have the money to get a re-manufactured one. those suckers are pricey.

So I went junkyard hopping today with a friend from LH forums. He got a couple of folding mirrors and a R/T spoiler. I on the other hand, found the holy grail of LH parts, a 300M chrome shifter. This is one of, if not the most sought after parts. On eBay I've seen ones in poor condition go for around $200! He was so jealous that I found it. :lol:

We also took the a/c belt off and sure enough, that clanging noise went away. So it's the compressor and maybe the idler pulley bearing is bad. So it'll stay disconnected for now until I have the money to fix the a/c system. Now I just need to get that exhaust leak fixed.

We also used is buffer (much better than mine) on my rear bumper, and to my delight it almost completely took out that nasty scratch.

Pics!

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

008.jpg

Looking good...those 300 seats look great in there...I don't recall the before pics--did your car have a cloth interior? That looks like the same radio head unit my Jeep has, and the HVAC controls look very similar.

Looking sharp! Just add a few OEM alloys and you'll have one classy LH. 8)

Yeah...

Looking good...those 300 seats look great in there...I don't recall the before pics--did your car have a cloth interior? That looks like the same radio head unit my Jeep has, and the HVAC controls look very similar.

Yeah it had cloth seats. These are much more comfortable, both in feel and seat shape. The radio is the same or similar, the HVAC controls aren't interchangeable though. I'm going to eventually upgrade it to ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) and replace the stereo with a RB1 (Chrysler's in-dash Navigation unit).

These are the old seats.

100_2105.jpg

The exhaust will stay sock for now, but it will eventually become dual.

The Mercedes Benz has a sock exhaust too. :wink:

It's enjoyable when we make typos that are humorously misleading. :P

---

So I just looked over the rest of the thread...

You've been a buzzzy little Bee huh?

Congrats on all that progress. It's nice to see

you gain 0.8 liters, durability & longevity out

of your motor swap that was really driven

(deep down) by your need for speed. Since

you got about 200K out of the ill-fated 2.7

you should get twice that out of the superior

3.5 if you continue all the proper maintenance.

It's enjoyable when we make typos that are humorously misleading. :P

---

So I just looked over the rest of the thread...

You've been a buzzzy little Bee huh?

Congrats on all that progress. It's nice to see

you gain 0.8 liters, durability & longevity out

of your motor swap that was really driven

(deep down) by your need for speed. Since

you got about 200K out of the ill-fated 2.7

you should get twice that out of the superior

3.5 if you continue all the proper maintenance.

Yes I have, I was actually planning to swing by today but got caught up in all the LH fun, and the girlfriend wanted me home so you know.

I should easily be able to get double, I know a guy with a 300M who got 430,000 miles out of it before it finally gave up on him. He's got a new engine and is over 500,000 miles now!

My 500-SEC recently got a tune-up, new alternator & an exhaust hanger. :)

Just clicked over to 208,888 miles yesterday.

Cool, I will probably do a tuneup soon, just to make sure it's in top running order. First thing's first: exhaust leak. Gotta fix it. Bugs the crap out of me, and I think the back pressure (or lack thereof) is sapping the engine of some of it's performance. I think it's pretty quick, but my friend says it should be even quicker and thinks that's the cause. Makes sense, when the Shadow had a leak by the engine it was gutless, but onceit was fixed it had much more power.

It's going to get full detailing to make the paint look as good as possible, and I've got a few other things in store for it.

I'm also going to be putting the Overhead Travel Information Center at the NE Modefest, because they're cool and I have one, and do some cheap upgrades to the stereo. Apparently there's a center speaker my cars does not have but has the wiring for, so I just need to get one out of another car in the yard.

Eventually the whole dash is coming out to replace the Evaporator core, upgrade the wiring harness to be able to use automatic lights (which I have the parts for) and ATC (which I will have the parts for soon for free). That's going to wait until I get a new compressor though, so the car has a/c again. Probably wait for a RB1 and CD/changer too.

The carpet will eventually come out and be replaced since mine has had a hole in it since I bought the car. Since I'll be down there I may add more sound deading to it to make it quieter.

At some point it'll probably get Special suspension and brake parts.

And much, MUCH more! :D

Of course this will be over a long period of time, as I get spare change for it, but it's just so much fun to work on it and see it evolve.

About the seats, are they power? Disconnecting the power from the body (cable coming through the carpet) to the power seat motor is what has me stuck on the seat removal on my Jeep. I've inquired on a couple Jeep forums, haven't gotten a great answer yet...but I just can't figure out how to disconnect the power connector. Looks like I will have to replace both the seat track and the seat, the metal frame on the bottom of the seat is cracked also.

Rob

About the seats, are they power? Disconnecting the power from the body (cable coming through the carpet) to the power seat motor is what has me stuck on the seat removal on my Jeep. I've inquired on a couple Jeep forums, haven't gotten a great answer yet...but I just can't figure out how to disconnect the power connector. Looks like I will have to replace both the seat track and the seat, the metal frame on the bottom of the seat is cracked also.

Rob

Yeah tye're both power. My original driver's seat was power but the passenger was manual. However the wiring is there for the passenger seat.

There is a connector somewhere along the wire that connects the seat wiring to the floor wiring. they're a bit of a pain to take apart, but there's going to be a tab you either push up or push down to pull the connectors apart. If you can get a good photo of it, I can help you more.

I went out early before the temps got to 100 and looked closely, took pics. Finally figured it out---slide the red 'lock' tab to the left, then push down on a tab at the front of the connector, and they slide apart. Was able to lift the seat and frame out completely. Now to find a replacement dark gray leather driver's seat w/ track in good working condition..

Rob

Picked up a few knickknacks today, a center speaker for the dash (Infinity II sound systems had them, Infinity I don't, but have the wiring for it) and the sensor for the automatic lights. I also grabbed something to hopefully sell...real wood dash trim from a 300M. I didn't even know until recently they used real wood. Apparently it's a rare feature...most are plood.

Just got cought up on your thread.

Congrats on finding the shifter. It looks amazing.

Love what you are doing! Much, much more advanced than my mods lol.

Thanks! It doesn't matter what mods you do, just that you're having fun with doing it. :)

As for me, my car has automatic headlights now! Installed the switch and teh sensor and everything worked. I love it.

Has a little mishap when the ratchet slipped out of my hand and fell in the dash duct...that was fun to get out. :lol:

My car got the most thorough waxing of it's life I think. Clay bar and everything. Took a lot of the scratches out and the paint is much deeper and more reflective.

...and the moment I've been waiting for...it now has a new set of wheels! :D

Pics to come in a few.

Only little issue was that we yanked the dash apart to install the switch. On my way home I turned the air on and it blew out hot, even after I turned it off. At least I knew why...we forgot to plug the other HVAC control connector back in.

Not fun driving home in teh summer with the heat on! :lol:

Yes, I love the shifter, it brightens up the center console. :D

Parts for LH cars are plentiful if you need body panels or stuff you can find on all model, but LH cars with the 3.2 or 3.5 rarely end up in the yard, and it's almost always due to an accident. When they do end up there they get picked clean fairly quickly.

Local yard has three 300Ms and none of them have the powertrains in them. All three have body damage from a wreck. Only a 3.2 Intrepid has the motor in it still. Which is good because that's where I got my plenum and misc. engine bay parts.

I couldnt help but notice...your Interepid is de-badged up front, yet still carries the dealer ad out back. Whats the deal? :scratchchin:

It should proudly display the Dodge badge, yet not give free advertising to a dealer IMO.

I think the wheels look good, though I would have gone with a chunkier design. Your original idea of Avenger wheels might have looked better (and more brand-correct).

There are at least 2 (gen2) Intrepids, 1 Eagle Vision and at least 2 LHS' in the yard where I got my parts IIRC.