Shanghai 2009: Buick MPV Business Concept

buick-business-concept-580_opt.jpg

General Motors has unveiled its new Buick "Business" MPV concept in Shanghai, and while details remain scarce as we try to practice our Chinese, we can tell you that while the idea of another Buick minivan may be hard for U.S. audiences to swallow (after the poor sales and driving experience of the Terraza), Buick MPVs do a very solid trade in China as executive transports. Thus, instead of prioritizing sippy cup storage, this is clearly more of a high-roofed luxury limousine.

Our compatriots over at Autoblog Chinese (who bring you these images) tell us that this vehicle is the result of a joint-venture between General Motors China and the Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center, as was the 2007 Rivera concept before it. If our Google translator is to be believed, this vehicle is still based on the Buick GL8 (read: Terraza), and the "land-based business class" concept is designed to point the way toward future visions of Buick luxury for customers in the land of the Great Wall.

img_8781.jpg

img_8810.jpg

img_8794.jpg

Autoblog

--

It's from Autocar. Click here

A little chunky looking, at least from this first picture.

Better!

Edited by Dodgefan

The success of such a van here, would depend on the inside, safety, and reliability more than anything else. Maybe this is an opening for GM to introduce a minivan to the US again, which could prove to be popular with gas mileage standards and needs.

Looks like they got the sweepspear backwards. Still, a much more cohesive effort than the Terraza.

Well if this is what is in store for Buick in the US, I am okay with it. And just maybe I could be seen drivng one someday. I really like it and if priced right this thing could be a huge sucess world-wide. Start slightly under 30K and loaded for 40K. I am starting to see the vision for Buick and with a nice performance Pontiac line and GMC they actually would have a pretty strong showroom all together. I hope they bring it to the US. That is one van I would consider, with a 2.8L DOHC Turbo V6 it actually might be fun to drive. Hell even the 2.4L DI Turbo 4 would be nice. So what do you think will power this puppy if she is sold? Either way I like it alot, I never thought I'd say that about a MINIVAN. Give us the G8 the Safari verison and you have a world class performance wagon, van and SUV all in the same showroom.

Edited by gm4life

I like everything but the upside down sweep spear. Didn't Nissan find out the the broken belt line look only appealed to a very small market. It is a nice bold, flowing design, I'll give it that. That's a lot of chrome going from headlight to tail light. Front end, dead on, back, nicely Enclavish. Interior is great, wish I could see it without the reflections. That dash is very reminiscent of the Centieme concept. Not sure what is happening with the tail lights when the gate is lifted. Either the interior opening is very narrow, or the whole light pod lifts with the door.

Edited by InvictaMan

Looks like they got the sweepspear backwards. Still, a much more cohesive effort than the Terraza.

That was my exact reaction as well - in profile, the whole overall shape looks backwards.

But the detailing is outstanding, I especially like the sweepspear trim wrapping the tails.

The dash is also very finely finished and pleasing to the eye.

All over the exterior, detailing is outstanding, but oh, that shape is terrible. Turn the shape 180 degrees, and drop the nose down about 6 inches and they'd have something.

I must say I'm very impressed. I've never been impressed by a minivan before... If Buick can make even a minivan I like, then I guess they are really important to the GM strategy, but I still think Pontiac and GMC should stick around...

I have to say that while I hate MiniVans, I could see this actually selling here very well. It is way better looking than anything that is currently on the market IMO.

That was my exact reaction as well - in profile, the whole overall shape looks backwards.

But the detailing is outstanding, I especially like the sweepspear trim wrapping the tails.

The dash is also very finely finished and pleasing to the eye.

All over the exterior, detailing is outstanding, but oh, that shape is terrible. Turn the shape 180 degrees, and drop the nose down about 6 inches and they'd have something.

My thoughts exactly...

You can definitely tell this was designed with asian influence (because of the comments above) instead of american. Because the details are great, but the overall design is lackluster.

Ehh, I don't think this is coming over to the US. Buick in China has very little to do with Buick in the US, apart from having the same English name. US and Chinese consumers have different brand expectations.

This van is definitely catered towards the Asian market. If they make a RHD model, it could compete against black Toyota Alphards, which is what rich people in Hong Kong or Japan ride in:

toyota%20alphard%20black.jpg

This Buick MPV could very well be the first mainland Chinese car to reach the HK or Japanese markets.

Edited by empowah

Cire, one thing is for certain, this thing shares nothing visually with the Chevy Disney World.

Yeah, it doesn't look anything like the Orlando (which is a good thing for the sake of differentiation; I do like the Orlando's design, but the name really needs to be changed due to its Disney-ish implications).

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this. Autoblog sort of shook me up by claiming that this was designed on the old Terraza/GL8 platform. My first reaction to that bit of news was: WHY? I'm glad to hear that it IS actually based on the LWB Delta platform shared with the Chevrolet Orlando (which makes much more sense). I'm sort of disappointed to see that it has rear sliders (at least it looks like it might; I think I see a somewhat short slider track below the back side window); if this comes to the U.S. with those type of rear passenger doors, people will automatically dismiss it as another mom-mobile minivan and it will fail miserably. I would rather see reverse hinged rear passenger doors like those that appeared on the recent Meriva Concept. Basically, I like the front end design, but I'm not so sure about the side treatment (I would have rather seen a side treatment that was inspired by the recent Meriva Concept instead). If this vehicle makes it to production pretty much as is, then GM should keep it in China. My only hope is that the next gen Opel Zafira looks quite a bit different from this (with hinged doors instead of sliders) and it will be the version that actually appears in Buick's U.S. lineup (I'm still hopeful about this since Autoblog claims that this was a joint design by GM China and the Pan Asia TAC; hopefully the Zafira will strictly be a German design). I sort of like it, but I fear that it may come off as being too minivan-ish to be successful in the U.S.; it would need to come off more like a tall wagon (like the Orlando or, dare I say, Toyota Venza) to have any chance of success or acceptance in the U.S. If (or when) gas prices start to escalate again, I think the MPV or tall wagon segment might actually become increasingly more important and accepted in our market.

Edited by cire

Was just comparing and this concept shares very little in common with the GM sketch of the '11 Zafira. The Zafira does have conventional rear passenger doors. I guess we have to ask: Has the direction for Buick changed since the Opel connection with Saturn is drawing to an end? GM has stated emphatically that the future US Buick line up will partially parallel the Chinese line up. Now we are hearing that Buick's will be versions of the German Opel line. Guess it could be both, seeing that the Regal is basically an Opel Insignia in Buick waterfall. Maybe we need to start a new topic to discuss the pros and cons of each. It will be interesting to see if the line will be Asian or German in influence. Seems German is more the direction Cadillac is heading. I miss the good old American Buick; with the upgrades, technology and tuning that better suits todays desires, of course.

Was just comparing and this concept shares very little in common with the GM sketch of the '11 Zafira. The Zafira does have conventional rear passenger doors. I guess we have to ask: Has the direction for Buick changed since the Opel connection with Saturn is drawing to an end? GM has stated emphatically that the future US Buick line up will partially parallel the Chinese line up. Now we are hearing that Buick's will be versions of the German Opel line. Guess it could be both, seeing that the Regal is basically an Opel Insignia in Buick waterfall. Maybe we need to start a new topic to discuss the pros and cons of each. It will be interesting to see if the line will be Asian or German in influence. Seems German is more the direction Cadillac is heading. I miss the good old American Buick; with the upgrades, technology and tuning that better suits todays desires, of course.

I think it should draw from both the German and Asian sources. Buick can be aligned globally, but GM needs to tailor the product choices it makes for the brand in North America based on what will be successful and accepted in this market (that's one of the many mistakes GM made in importing the Astra here for Saturn; the roomier U.S. market preferred sedan version should have been included in the mix). It doesn't make a difference whether the products are sourced from Germany or Asia, but they must make a solid business case to be sold here. If the Zafira has hinged doors and comes across more like a tall wagon than a minivan, then it should be sold here instead of the Chinese sourced vehicle previewed by this concept.

I do agree that I miss the good old American image that our domestic automakers used to be able to flaunt in the marketplace. Unfortunately, times have changed drastically. American sourced vehicles have a tarnished image and all automakers (domestic or otherwise) must rely on leveraging global assets to provide or complete product portfolios. It's just happens to be the times that we live in. I just hope GM has learned from its past mistakes and can properly utilize its globally developed portfolio to stock Buick's future lineup with appropriate products that will make the brand relevant once again.

OK, it was driving me mad, so I had to spend a few minutes on it to see if I liked it better. I do. Let's just say the Business has "had a little work done."

BusinessConceptRedeux.jpg

Sinuous can be overdone, and then it can be Buick sexy and understated.

Edited by InvictaMan

Oh, BTW, ventiports installed on the hood a la LaCrosse. Though they wouldn't look so bad incorporated into the chrome thingy running from the headlights. Make those rear seats drop down to a flat cargo deck and I would take this over a BUE.

Edited by InvictaMan

OK, it was driving me mad, so I had to spend a few minutes on it to see if I liked it better. I do. Let's just say the Business has "had a little work done."

BusinessConceptRedeux.jpg

Sinuous can be overdone, and then it can be Buick sexy and understated.

It's an improvement but at the same time the wavy belt line looks more plain, and like a Buick from the 90s...and we should never go back there.

I did a chop as well.

Buick-MPV-Chop.jpg

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?sh...c=30842&hl=

Good job! I like it too, I just think that a bump like that, vs the understated sweapspear, will date the vehicle faster. On mine, the sweapspear lines up nicely with the indentation above the rocker, plus on yours you loose some visibility out of the rear quarter. Yours is a much better design solution than the upside down version. Not being critical, just critique-al.

Edited by InvictaMan

Well, if history has taught anything, the belt line upkick (Camaro, Challenger, Mustang) has aged not only well, but is making a comeback. Not only on the retro cars, but modern designs like the Mazda CX-7 and the Charger.

You're right, visibility is sacrificed a bit, but that's how it goes when function follow form.

I think both chops are better than the original.

You know if we added your sweepsear character line to my belt line that would be pretty sweet. :scratchchin:

I though to do that, but got lazy and only had the start of one that disappeared into the rear doors.

That might be cool. I didn't have but a few minutes to put into it either. If you have time, feel free to snatch it off of mine and add it to yours.

Ah, it does have ventiports...

Leftlane has some better pics of the vehicle starting here.

These make the car look much nicer, with more interior views. Interior is very very nice. Looks like this will be people only in concept, in that those rear seats look like they are going no where. But then, the Enclave concept had a similar, more permanent rear seat configuration.

Edited by InvictaMan

Alright, I'm more in tune with this car. This image kinda sold me...

Buinessthreequarter.jpg

I guess I try to make everything new from Buick for me, but I now realize from these photos how this Buick is NOT for me, it is for families, if it were marketed here in the US. A first-class minivan. In that, the sliding doors make perfect sense. The design cues are much more logical in these images. The predominant hip line (very Buick), criss-crossing with the upper character line, very nice. That is not as visible in the earlier images. I'm even warming up to the upside down bump in the belt. I'm in love with the face on this car, wish the LED heads could stay in production, like Audi. Now, if they would take this front, some of the design cues (minus the upside down belt) and that level of interior and add them to a BUE, that could be for me! If ever they were to bring back the Rendezvous nameplate, this is were to do it, not on a CUV or SUV. The feminine nature of that name would be perfectly suited for this car.

Edited by InvictaMan

Now that I've seen better pictures of it I like it much more. The seating layout is brilliant. I love the dashboard, the way it extends all the way across reminds me (in a good way) of '90s buicks and similar big sedans. It make the car look more spacious up front. The beltline makes more sense too. I don't think it needs a sweepspear identical to the LaCrosse, it just needs to be distinct and it is.

blu is right. it needs work on the proportions.

it has large glass and small pillars. the basic character lines are ok. but it screams minivan. they need to downsize the glass and reset the pillar angles so it is more crossover.

You do know that's what an MPV is right?