• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Satty

Smartass Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,496 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

I dont hate it, but I dont think it would go over too well in the U.S.

wildcat

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

I didn't notice that anyone mentioned that the Buick Business Concept is a hybrid.
See here.
(And is it my imagination or do the tires look bigger in the top photo of the story?)

!!!TED!!!

Dangerous with the pencil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (vonVeezelsnider @ Apr 20 2009, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To Ted: it's a Delta II Orlando Derivative

Right! Its MPV7 derived. So why is Autoblog saying GL8 based? Bad reporting.
The press release probably states that its replacing the GL8 Minivan.

pow

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

Ehh, I don't think this is coming over to the US. Buick in China has very little to do with Buick in the US, apart from having the same English name. US and Chinese consumers have different brand expectations.

This van is definitely catered towards the Asian market. If they make a RHD model, it could compete against black Toyota Alphards, which is what rich people in Hong Kong or Japan ride in:

This Buick MPV could very well be the first mainland Chinese car to reach the HK or Japanese markets.

Edited by empowah, 20 April 2009 - 07:14 PM.

§carlet §wordfish

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

The kinkspear (which is what I have decided to call this car's beltline) is very similar to that on the Citroën C4 Picasso.

I'll wait for some less reflective and glaring pictures to say if I like it, but I do like the interior very much.

§carlet §wordfish

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (!!!TED!!! @ Apr 20 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right! Its MPV7 derived. So why is Autoblog saying GL8 based? Bad reporting.
The press release probably states that its replacing the GL8 Minivan.

I had no idea this thing existed, and I wish I still didn't.

InvictaMan

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

So long ventiports...

cire

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (InvictaMan @ Apr 20 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cire, one thing is for certain, this thing shares nothing visually with the Chevy Disney World.

Yeah, it doesn't look anything like the Orlando (which is a good thing for the sake of differentiation; I do like the Orlando's design, but the name really needs to be changed due to its Disney-ish implications).

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this. Autoblog sort of shook me up by claiming that this was designed on the old Terraza/GL8 platform. My first reaction to that bit of news was: WHY? I'm glad to hear that it IS actually based on the LWB Delta platform shared with the Chevrolet Orlando (which makes much more sense). I'm sort of disappointed to see that it has rear sliders (at least it looks like it might; I think I see a somewhat short slider track below the back side window); if this comes to the U.S. with those type of rear passenger doors, people will automatically dismiss it as another mom-mobile minivan and it will fail miserably. I would rather see reverse hinged rear passenger doors like those that appeared on the recent Meriva Concept. Basically, I like the front end design, but I'm not so sure about the side treatment (I would have rather seen a side treatment that was inspired by the recent Meriva Concept instead). If this vehicle makes it to production pretty much as is, then GM should keep it in China. My only hope is that the next gen Opel Zafira looks quite a bit different from this (with hinged doors instead of sliders) and it will be the version that actually appears in Buick's U.S. lineup (I'm still hopeful about this since Autoblog claims that this was a joint design by GM China and the Pan Asia TAC; hopefully the Zafira will strictly be a German design). I sort of like it, but I fear that it may come off as being too minivan-ish to be successful in the U.S.; it would need to come off more like a tall wagon (like the Orlando or, dare I say, Toyota Venza) to have any chance of success or acceptance in the U.S. If (or when) gas prices start to escalate again, I think the MPV or tall wagon segment might actually become increasingly more important and accepted in our market.

Edited by cire, 20 April 2009 - 08:39 PM.

InvictaMan

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

Was just comparing and this concept shares very little in common with the GM sketch of the '11 Zafira. The Zafira does have conventional rear passenger doors. I guess we have to ask: Has the direction for Buick changed since the Opel connection with Saturn is drawing to an end? GM has stated emphatically that the future US Buick line up will partially parallel the Chinese line up. Now we are hearing that Buick's will be versions of the German Opel line. Guess it could be both, seeing that the Regal is basically an Opel Insignia in Buick waterfall. Maybe we need to start a new topic to discuss the pros and cons of each. It will be interesting to see if the line will be Asian or German in influence. Seems German is more the direction Cadillac is heading. I miss the good old American Buick; with the upgrades, technology and tuning that better suits todays desires, of course.

cire

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (InvictaMan @ Apr 20 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was just comparing and this concept shares very little in common with the GM sketch of the '11 Zafira. The Zafira does have conventional rear passenger doors. I guess we have to ask: Has the direction for Buick changed since the Opel connection with Saturn is drawing to an end? GM has stated emphatically that the future US Buick line up will partially parallel the Chinese line up. Now we are hearing that Buick's will be versions of the German Opel line. Guess it could be both, seeing that the Regal is basically an Opel Insignia in Buick waterfall. Maybe we need to start a new topic to discuss the pros and cons of each. It will be interesting to see if the line will be Asian or German in influence. Seems German is more the direction Cadillac is heading. I miss the good old American Buick; with the upgrades, technology and tuning that better suits todays desires, of course.

I think it should draw from both the German and Asian sources. Buick can be aligned globally, but GM needs to tailor the product choices it makes for the brand in North America based on what will be successful and accepted in this market (that's one of the many mistakes GM made in importing the Astra here for Saturn; the roomier U.S. market preferred sedan version should have been included in the mix). It doesn't make a difference whether the products are sourced from Germany or Asia, but they must make a solid business case to be sold here. If the Zafira has hinged doors and comes across more like a tall wagon than a minivan, then it should be sold here instead of the Chinese sourced vehicle previewed by this concept.

I do agree that I miss the good old American image that our domestic automakers used to be able to flaunt in the marketplace. Unfortunately, times have changed drastically. American sourced vehicles have a tarnished image and all automakers (domestic or otherwise) must rely on leveraging global assets to provide or complete product portfolios. It's just happens to be the times that we live in. I just hope GM has learned from its past mistakes and can properly utilize its globally developed portfolio to stock Buick's future lineup with appropriate products that will make the brand relevant once again.

PurdueGuy

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:04 AM

I like the front two-thirds. I like the rear third. I don't like where they melted the two and smooshed them together.

InvictaMan

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

OK, it was driving me mad, so I had to spend a few minutes on it to see if I liked it better. I do. Let's just say the Business has "had a little work done."

Sinuous can be overdone, and then it can be Buick sexy and understated.

Edited by InvictaMan, 21 April 2009 - 01:52 PM.

InvictaMan

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

Oh, BTW, ventiports installed on the hood a la LaCrosse. Though they wouldn't look so bad incorporated into the chrome thingy running from the headlights. Make those rear seats drop down to a flat cargo deck and I would take this over a BUE.

Edited by InvictaMan, 21 April 2009 - 02:21 PM.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (InvictaMan @ Apr 21 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, it was driving me mad, so I had to spend a few minutes on it to see if I liked it better. I do. Let's just say the Business has "had a little work done."

Sinuous can be overdone, and then it can be Buick sexy and understated.

It's an improvement but at the same time the wavy belt line looks more plain, and like a Buick from the 90s...and we should never go back there.

I did a chop as well.

http://www.cheersand...h...c=30842&hl=

InvictaMan

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (Dodgefan @ Apr 21 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good job! I like it too, I just think that a bump like that, vs the understated sweapspear, will date the vehicle faster. On mine, the sweapspear lines up nicely with the indentation above the rocker, plus on yours you loose some visibility out of the rear quarter. Yours is a much better design solution than the upside down version. Not being critical, just critique-al.

Edited by InvictaMan, 21 April 2009 - 02:33 PM.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

Well, if history has taught anything, the belt line upkick (Camaro, Challenger, Mustang) has aged not only well, but is making a comeback. Not only on the retro cars, but modern designs like the Mazda CX-7 and the Charger.

You're right, visibility is sacrificed a bit, but that's how it goes when function follow form.

I think both chops are better than the original.

InvictaMan

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Dodgefan @ Apr 21 2009, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think both chops are better than the original.

In that we are in total agreement! cheers.gif

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

You know if we added your sweepsear character line to my belt line that would be pretty sweet. scratchchin.gif

I though to do that, but got lazy and only had the start of one that disappeared into the rear doors.

InvictaMan

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Dodgefan @ Apr 21 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know if we added your sweepsear character line to my belt line that would be pretty sweet. scratchchin.gif

I though to do that, but got lazy and only had the start of one that disappeared into the rear doors.

That might be cool. I didn't have but a few minutes to put into it either. If you have time, feel free to snatch it off of mine and add it to yours.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

I tired and it doesn't work do to the other minor but significant body changes I made...but I can just make my own. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users