ASC recreates Trans-Am with 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

ASC recreates Trans-Am with 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

by John Neff on May 7th 2009 at 2:28PM

transam02_opt.jpg

Pontiac is on its way out just as the new 2010 Chevy Camaro has arrived. Had this been a decade or two earlier, the Camaro would most certainly be accompanied by an equally sick Pontiac version, namely the Trans-Am. But even before it was decided to put the final nail in Pontiac's coffin, General Motors had no intention of developing a new Trans-Am based off the Camaro. Well, someone should, and someone did. Enter ASC, otherwise known as American Specialty Cars, the sub-contractor responsible for building many of the convertibles you see on the road today like the Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder and Toyota Camry Solara Convertible. ASC also has experience building whole specialty cars for manufacturers, having been the building force behind such machines as the Chevy SSR, GMC Syclone/Typhoon and even the unforgettable Buick GNX.

Now, according to DUB, ASC will take your 2010 Camaro and transform it into a modern-day Trans-Am. We don't have too many details except for these few renderings, but the Pontiac-ification of the Camaro looks great from the front and we dig the duck tail spoiler. The air inlets behind the doors are a little much and for all we know are non-functional, but the overall treatment evokes Pontiac's past in much the same way that Chevy's new muscle car draws inspiration from past Camaros without copying them outright. We've got a request in to ASC for more information, so we'll wait and see if the Trans-Cam is the real deal.

Original article and photo gallery:

www.autoblog.com/.../asc-recreates-trans-a

It looks a bit Fisher Price.... :blink:

I wanna love it but the (GTO-Honden) '70 Chevelle hack-job comes to mind....

Interesting..I kind of like it, though I might have gone for more of a '74-76 front end treatment, with a sloped back nose... looks better than some of the other conceptions I've seen.

It's well done I think...but I still like the Camaro better. Which is strange, because if it were 1968 and I were buying a GM pony car methinks a Firebird 400 would wind up in my driveway over an SS 396 Camaro.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

It's well done I think...but I still like the Camaro better. Which is strange, because if it were 1968 and I were buying a GM pony car methinks a Firebird 400 would wind up in my driveway over an SS 396 Camaro.

Chris

I like the '67-68 Firebird a lot... never cared for the '69 styling, but I like the '70-73 Camaro and Firebird pretty equally well.

Sometimes I wonder, had I been born in '40 instead of '70, what would have I have bought in 1970? There were so many incredible cars then...

• 2 weeks later...
I like it, but not as much as I'd want to.

+1....

But this raises the question; why couldn't GM just farm out production of 1 or 2 specialty Pontiacs to some agency such as ASC?

That would be a way to keep the division alive and relevant in the eyes of those who care, and give GM more units and volume for profit.

Win/Win.

High Performance Pontiac has an article in their latest issue on the ASC Trans Am. They had another proposal in addition to this one, a black and gold car called (what else) "the Bandit," that had a bolder front end in my opinion and had side sculpting treatments that were far more subdued.