2006 Car & Truck Finalists Announced

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

mphmag

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:34 PM

I think those finalists are f'ed up. The Solstice will win because of design and handling. But how did the fusion get in there? The civic remember has the hybrid and the Si. Everyone is raving about the Si. Kinda suprised new 3 series isn't there. As far as the truck the Ridgeline really should win. i was converted what can i say. and the new xterra seems to win the 4x4 guys over. The explorer however has gotten slammed by almost everyone and I found it sub par. Range Rover Sport maybe? Is this thing open to European models? I never follow these awards closely but I can't imagine these are the best out of whats out there.

#22 Guest_Josh_*

Guest_Josh_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

I said on the front page the trucks are screwy. General Motors should sweep the truck catagory. One for each brand. I see the Escalade taking next years cap, as well as the year after with the hybrid powertrain. But, this is about this year, not next. I thought the H3 and FJ Cruiser were both eligible for this nomination? Also, the HHR is a "truck" as certified. There seems to be many other obvious choices. The car side, the Solstice does not surprise me, nor does the Fusion. However, the Civic is weak. I'd venture to say a new Hyundai model would fit better than the Civic. I mean, what's the point? I drive by one everyday on my way to work in the Solstice. If the Solstice does not win, there's something wrong because this thing breaks necks by looks alone.

mphmag

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:11 AM

the H3 is infinitely better than the Explorer from many angles. Good call there.

I hope GMRULES again

OSV Member

• Members
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:49 PM

I said on the front page the trucks are screwy. General Motors should sweep the truck catagory. One for each brand. I see the Escalade taking next years cap, as well as the year after with the hybrid powertrain.

But, this is about this year, not next.

I thought the H3 and FJ Cruiser were both eligible for this nomination? Also, the HHR is a "truck" as certified. There seems to be many other obvious choices.

The car side, the Solstice does not surprise me, nor does the Fusion. However, the Civic is weak. I'd venture to say a new Hyundai model would fit better than the Civic.

I mean, what's the point? I drive by one everyday on my way to work in the Solstice. If the Solstice does not win, there's something wrong because this thing breaks necks by looks alone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gm should of had the Tahoe ready as a 06 model that way they could of released it in Oct or Nov and easily picked up truck of the year honours and they could of used all that free PR. I wouldn't count out the Civic so quickly. I might sound like a Honda guy put it does bring a complete package, 2 door, 4 door, family car, SI tuner and Hybrid. It is easliy the benchmark for small cars and could win this award. Solstice and Fusion are brand new and did not become best in class. Just prey Honda doesn't win both.

FUTURE_OF_GM

The Lewis Black of C&G

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:25 PM

As far as the truck the Ridgeline really should win. i was converted what can i say.

What exactly is in that Honda kool-aid?

but they'll probably want to accentuate innovation.

Or ignorance and blind loyalty....

Opinions, opinions..... Gotta love 'em! :D

I thought the H3 and FJ Cruiser were both eligible for this nomination? Also, the HHR is a "truck" as certified. There seems to be many other obvious choices.

I agree.... Both the HHR and H3 have revolutionary performance in the market place, with the H3 virtually saving Hummer after 2 years of "drive a Prius" media commentary and lambasting and the HHR making it cool to be young and drive a Chevy once again.

And eventhough I hate the very fabric of Toyota's existence, I can't deny that the FJ Cruiser is cool. In fact, A LOT cooler than the wannabe/poser Ridgeline.

The car side, the Solstice does not surprise me, nor does the Fusion. However, the Civic is weak. I'd venture to say a new Hyundai model would fit better than the Civic.

I agree... There is nothing REVOLUTIONARY about the new Civic. Sure it's a strong entry, typical of Honda, but the interior is a disaster IMO and the exterior isn't much better. It is selling well though and at least the Si is worthy of it's badge now.

But, the Fusion and the Solstice on the other hand.... The Solstice is in the process of COMPLETELY transforming Pontiac's image. it IS, essentially the first "gotta have" product from a corporation AND a division that have been slowly dieing for 2 decades now. And the Fusion.... Talk about a surprise hit. Ford did their homework, and is showing the world that they CAN INDEED compete wih the Asians in the mid size sedan segment yet again, and in fact, IMO, out perform them. Best of all, both are DOMESTICs that people ACTUALLY want to buy based on merit! They are the very turning point we've all been so desperately waiting for.

#26 Guest_Josh_*

Guest_Josh_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:25 PM

What exactly is in that Honda kool-aid?
Or ignorance and blind loyalty....

Opinions, opinions..... Gotta love 'em! :D
I agree.... Both the HHR and H3 have revolutionary performance in the market place, with the H3 virtually saving Hummer after 2 years of "drive a Prius" media commentary and lambasting and the HHR making it cool to be young and drive a Chevy once again.

And eventhough I hate the very fabric of Toyota's existence, I can't deny that the FJ Cruiser is cool. In fact, A LOT cooler than the wannabe/poser Ridgeline.
I agree... There is nothing REVOLUTIONARY about the new Civic. Sure it's a strong entry, typical of Honda, but the interior is a disaster IMO and the exterior isn't much better. It is selling well though and at least the Si is worthy of it's badge now.

But, the Fusion and the Solstice on the other hand.... The Solstice is in the process of COMPLETELY transforming Pontiac's image. it IS, essentially the first "gotta have" product from a corporation AND a division that have been slowly dieing for 2 decades now. And the Fusion.... Talk about a surprise hit. Ford did their homework, and is showing the world that they CAN INDEED compete wih the Asians in the mid size sedan segment yet again, and in fact, IMO, out perform them. Best of all, both are DOMESTICs that people ACTUALLY want to buy based on merit! They are the very turning point we've all been so desperately waiting for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think we've agreed this much FOG...it sort of makes me want to shed a tear. Well, I did say almost. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users