daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Daryl Z71 @ Aug 16 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I buy Mobil 1 period.

Which is fine, but there are many good oils to choose from out there....

My Cav coupe loves it's Napa synthetic. booyah.gif

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (PurdueGuy @ Aug 16 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys are doing the same thing that so many people wrongly do - saying Frams are crap, ignoring that not all the Fram filters they dissected were crap. Yes, the cheap Frams are crap. But they said outright that the upper ones were pretty good. Thus, you can't just say Fram = crap.

I don't personally buy Fram oil filters, but I do get tired of the oversimplification, because it then spills over into assumptions of all Fram = crap, which isn't necessarily true. Just like everyone else, most of their stuff is relabeled from some other company, and you could avoid Fram and buy some other brand just to get the same crap half the time. Or it could be the same thing as the good brand. The generalization just doesn't work.

You might want to re-read my post then. neenerneener.gif

Frams are okay, and they do their job just fine.

But their many filters out there that are better for money you pay for fram....

Heck, ST filters are pretty good filters for the money..

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

The XG Fram is the only one I would consider. The others are just garbage. Facts are facts: cardboard end caps with poor fitting and bad anti drain-back valve seal design that leaks. Leaky seals are not "ok" The XG is decent but the other stuff has no place in my cars.

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • 28,903 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

Once upon a time, Fram really made the best stuff - several takeovers later the story is different.

I use AC/Delco or NAPA Gold.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

Yeah I've heard they used to be good but the cost cutting and takeovers have turned them into mostly a joke.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

The XG Fram is the only one I would consider. The others are just garbage. Facts are facts: cardboard end caps with poor fitting and bad anti drain-back valve seal design that leaks. Leaky seals are not "ok" The XG is decent but the other stuff has no place in my cars.

They still hold up decent. Depends On your OCI......

Though If I did use fram, it would be the XG....

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

Once upon a time, Fram really made the best stuff - several takeovers later the story is different.

I use AC/Delco or NAPA Gold.

Delco or Wix. (NAPA Golds are made by Wix) for me....

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

What I know is this: running Castrol GTX High Mileage oil and a Fram filter, the Intrepid always had a cold startup tick. When it was warm the tick would last a couple seconds, when it was below 50 it would last until the car was fully warmed up. With the RP oil and filter there is no startup tick when its above 40 and the tick is only present for a second when it's say, 17 degrees out, even after sitting for days. That's all I need to say goodbye to conventional oil and piss off to Fram.

WS61400

Stock Member

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

My father in law works at the Purolater plant in Fayetteville, NC and he has told me several times that the best filtrating filter they have is the regular FL-1A. I always buy NAPA Gold though.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

NAPA / Wix here.
FL-1A is a 'big boy' filter, my 300 Ford took them; no doubt the volume of filtration material has something to do with it being a 'good one', tho I thought 'FL-1A' was a Motorcraft designation.
Most filters are too small anymore, IMO.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

Agreed on the too small part. I'm thinking about using an oversized filter for the 3.5. On 2.7 engines the filter is located on the oil pan, facing down. Any longer and it'll be kissing pavement. On 3.2/3/5 engines its mounted in the side of the engine, making it possible to use a bigger filter.

You can see the normal filter on this 3.5 being yanked out of an Intrepid.

Posted Image

An the oversized filter on the replacement 3.5...

Posted Image

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

A LOT of the AC Delco filters got way too small. PF-24 was the 'regular' sized unit, but a common modern one was the PF-47, a 'small' one. They should never be smaller than the old PF-24s, IMO, regardless of the engine or oil recommendation.

pow

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,376 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:50 PM

Filters of the same brand do vary, though I've noticed Purolators tend to be of decent quality. The Purolator L40316 used on the Passat 1.8t is ginormous... made by Mann in Germany:

Posted Image

The Purolator I use on the Ody V6 is tiny but made in the US.

Edited by pow, 25 December 2009 - 12:50 PM.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

Filters of the same brand do vary, though I've noticed Purolators tend to be of decent quality. The Purolator L40316 used on the Passat 1.8t is ginormous... made by Mann in Germany:

Posted Image

The Purolator I use on the Ody V6 is tiny but made in the US.

Wow!

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

Some more good info: http://minimopar.kni.../reference.html

More proof that Fram makes junk for the most part. I'm sticking with PureOne, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Bosch, or K&N. Only the best for my cars.

A Horse With No Name

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 13,496 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

NAPA / Wix here.
FL-1A is a 'big boy' filter, my 300 Ford took them; no doubt the volume of filtration material has something to do with it being a 'good one', tho I thought 'FL-1A' was a Motorcraft designation.
Most filters are too small anymore, IMO.

I agree on the size thing.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

Some more good info: http://minimopar.kni.../reference.html

More proof that Fram makes junk for the most part. I'm sticking with PureOne, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Bosch, or K&N. Only the best for my cars.

Eh, a filter is a filter (No china ones though), depends on how long you use it...

The orange can of doom doesn't scare me....

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

Eh, a filter is a filter (No china ones though), depends on how long you use it...

The orange can of doom doesn't scare me....

All filters are not created equal. Do a little a little research and you'll see just how unequal some of them really are. AC Delco Duraguard, STP, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Ecore Champ filters, and any Fram besides the Tough Guard (which I still wouldn't buy) are no where near as good (or even good) as the filters I mentioned in my last post.

I care about my car far too much to put substandard parts, fluids, and filters in it.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,720 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

I like the PureOnes... I'm not really concerned about any oil pressure spikes because of the engines I'm running.

Slight tangent - is there any point to putting synthetic into the Toronado now that it has 90k on the clock? It's about time for her first oil change on my watch... last one was performed just before I purchased it.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:31 PM

Synthetic has superior lubricating properties to conventional oil, it also handles high temperatures better and doesn't brake down like conventional oil will. Both cars use Mobil 1, and with the Intrepid in particular, it runs noticeably smoother (especially on cold starts) with M1 and a good filter than conventional and a POS Fram. Comes out much cleaner too.

But don't take my word for it:

40k on this one:

Posted Image

This engine's got 250k on it.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users