• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,641 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

Right, but if they started out with synthetic as opposed to switching to synthetic at 90k miles.... that's the question..... is there any point at this point?

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,480 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

The 3.5 started out from start, the Ram was switched over.

Like I said, synthetic offer superior lubrication to conventional oil. That alone makes it worth it in my book. You cans witch to synthetic at any time. The Prizm has 196k when I switched it and the Intrepid's 3.5 had 125k when I switched.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

All filters are not created equal. Do a little a little research and you'll see just how unequal some of them really are. AC Delco Duraguard, STP, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Ecore Champ filters, and any Fram besides the Tough Guard (which I still wouldn't buy) are no where near as good (or even good) as the filters I mentioned in my last post.

I care about my car far too much to put substandard parts, fluids, and filters in it.

You're kinda missing the point, DF. You buy the filter you need for the OCI you plan to do.( City, highway, etc.)

Much of it is going to depend on the driving style and the milage being but on the oil. Like using a M1 oil and filter for a 3k all highway oil change. That would be a waste of money when plain old dino oil could be used....

Trust me, I know all about this stuff. I put in the best the common sense allows.

I say that knowing I'm running M1, Quaker State UD full synthetic( Dexos 1 approved), and Napa full synthetic (Valvoline private brand) with AC delco cartridges (hengst USA made) in my cars right. now.

The really no such thing as wrong when you care for your car. So you're doing fine!8)

Edited by daves87rs, 16 October 2010 - 10:30 PM.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:36 PM

I like the PureOnes... I'm not really concerned about any oil pressure spikes because of the engines I'm running.

Slight tangent - is there any point to putting synthetic into the Toronado now that it has 90k on the clock? It's about time for her first oil change on my watch... last one was performed just before I purchased it.

Just buy M1 High milage or Valvoline Maxlife Full syntheric (It's out there!) if you're worried about the car leaking from the seals and gaskets (It might, depending on car the engine was cared for.) The only thing you would have to be worried about is if the full syn is cleaning out build up in there( deposit wise)....that would cause the leaks.

If the engine was well cared for, I'd just go M1 then...

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,480 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:43 PM

A healthy engine will run synthetic just fine no matter the miles. If you're worried about oil damaging it then you have much bigger problems with that engine to worry about.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,480 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

You're kinda missing the point, DF. You buy the filter you need for the OCI you plan to do.( City, highway, etc.)

Much of it is going to depend on the driving style and the milage being but on the oil. Like using a M1 oil and filter for a 3k all highway oil change. That would be a waste of money when plain old dino oil could be used....

Trust me, I know all about this stuff. I put in the best the common sense allows.

I say that knowing I'm running M1, Quaker State UD full synthetic( Dexos 1 approved), and Napa full synthetic (Valvoline private brand) with AC delco cartridges (hengst USA made) in my cars right. now.

The really no such thing as wrong when you care for your car. So you're doing fine!8)

There is if say, the filter design is insufficient. Oil is only as good as the filter that's keeping it clean. Driving style has nothing to do with how well a filter works, the design and construction of he filter do. You're welcome to use paper media held together by cardboard and glue with poor ant drain back valve design, but I won't. Especially when quality filters like PureOne are often bundled with oil change deals.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

There is if say, the filter design is insufficient. Oil is only as good as the filter that's keeping it clean. Driving style has nothing to do with how well a filter works, the design and construction of he filter do. You're welcome to use paper media held together by cardboard and glue with poor ant drain back valve design, but I won't. Especially when quality filters like PureOne are often bundled with oil change deals.

*sigh*

Anyways, we could agrue all day, but it simply comes down to what you like.

I've used Frams before on my wagon and old s10, and never had a problem. Never ran them for more than 3k though. I'll never buy the cheap stuff (like those chinese sub 2 buck filters), beacuse those I would be worried about.

I've help put supertech, STP, Fram filter's on my brother's Caliber (He's not too heavy into car maintance), the the car is still in good shape at 65k. I wish I would have taken a picture of the cover...and tiny bit of varnish, but it was in really good shape for a I'll take-care-of-it-when-I-have-time car.

I use the good stuff because I like my cars, and I expect a lot out of them.

I've been running nothing but M1 and delco/wix fliters in the wife's Cav, and when I had to take the cover off to adjust the gasket, it was very clean inside.

A healthy engine will run synthetic just fine no matter the miles. If you're worried about oil damaging it then you have much bigger problems with that engine to worry about.

Agreed!

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 29,641 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

Older vehicles almost always leak something... I fully expect that I'll need to do the valve cover gaskets this winter after I've switched the car now to full synthetic..... but this is a 30 year old car that I'm trying to preserve. If it needs gaskets... it'll get gaskets.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

Yep! After running M1 for years, I'm going to have to replace the oil pan gasket, as it's seeping out a bit. Other than that, I'm a happy camper!

A Horse With No Name

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 12,597 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

Always something in a thirty year old car....

Trying to preserve a ten year old one is enough of a struggle for me right now....

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

Always something in a thirty year old car....

Trying to preserve a ten year old one is enough of a struggle for me right now....

Gotta love the weather around here...

ShadowDog

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

So, this got me thinking enough to ask the question as to whether anyone has looked into Fleetguard from Cummins for their application?

Having an 'in' for pricing may enable me to utilize their filters (depending upon application). These are the select filters for lube, fuel, air, coolant and hydraulic systems on Cummins fleet trucks (engines found in many makes of tractor-trucks like International, Western Star, Kenworth, Peterbilt, etc.)

The following website details everything to know about the products Fleetguard offers.

Fleetguard by Cummins

Click on the ‘Catalog’ tab to cross-reference your filter model number. You can also cross-reference by application. It doesn’t search up as broad by vehicle; however, it does a great cross-reference to AC Delco filter numbers which you can search up through their website first.
There is a wealth of information in the Literature section ('Lube' subsection) regarding Fleetguard technical information with a filter cutaway and explanation. I know for a fact these filters are made for everything from giant sized coffee-can dimensions, right down to ONAN diesel generator (lawn mower size) dimensions. From there, all one has to do is check for the nearest Cummins, International, Western-Star, etc., dealer and go price shopping! There is a handy retail locator on the home page as well, but it only lists the retail locations whom have supplied information to their website.

It really is worth a look. They will likely be more pricey with the synthetic media types. My sourcing can get me a LF3487 synthetic media filter for the Grand Caravan for a little less than a Mobil 1 filter. Smaller filters, like the LF3554 for my wife’s Optra5 sell for around $9.63 CDN (the same as the AC Delco equivalent).
BTW, when given your cross-reference, click on the filter to receive more information, such as dimensions, anti-drain back feature and by-pass filter pressure strength. It will also inform of superseded filters and possibly longer filter-body replacements.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users