• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

XP715

Suburban Commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

As some of you may already know, I collect old pressed steel toy cars, trucks, construction equipment, trains, boats, airplanes, etc. And I'm always on the hunt for more. So, if any of you have any American-made pre-1965 pressed steel toys in your basements, closets, attics, or garages (maybe tucked away in your parents homes, even) that you wouldn't mind parting with, please let me know. Do your best to tell me what you have and what condition it's in (photographs would be best), and if it's something I'm interested in, hopefully we can make a deal. I'm interested in pretty much all manufacturers: Tonka, Structo, Buddy-L, Marx/Lumar, Smith Miller, Doepke, Turner, Girard, Steelcraft, Sturditoy, Keystone, Nylint, Dunwell/Buckeye, etc.

I'm also interested in gas-powered tether race cars from the same time period (pre-1965). Once again, I'm interested in all manufacturers: Cox Thimbledrome, Ohlsson & Rice, Dooling Brothers, etc.

I'm not looking to offer you pennies on the dollar and then profit on eBay; I'll do my best to make you a fair offer and your stuff will go into my permanrnt collection. The only reason I ever sell anything is if I find a better condition example down the road, and any money made from these sales get rolled directly into acquiring more pieces.

So if any of you have this sort of thing and are looking to sell it, please PM me.

Thanks for reading!

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

How about a few pics /examples from your collection there, Mr. McStingy!

XP715

Suburban Commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

Ask and you shall receive. Here's a crappy cellphone picture of what I have directly in front of me:

First shelf, top to bottom:

-1961 Tonka Allied Van Lines semi
-1948 Doepke Adams road grader (one of my favorites)
-1960 Buddy-L Coca-Cola delivery truck
-1960 Structo Airlines scissor-lift box truck
-1956 Marx Lumar Utility Service telephone truck
-1954 Buddy-L Hi-Lift Farm Supplies dump truck

Second shelf, top to bottom:

-1959 Buddy-L Texaco tanker
-1960 Structo Auto Transport
-1962 Tonka Army pickup
-1958 Tonka hydraulic dump truck
-1961 Structo hydraulic garbage truck (the rare all white version; most often these are seen with a black or dark blue cab)
-1955 Marx U.S. Army troop transport

I have many more scattered around my place, including the entire 1958 Tonka State Hi-Way construction set and a very rare 1956 Structo Western Auto deluxe semi with its original box, a 1950 Structo Hydraulic hook & ladder (deluxe version with battery-operated siren), a 1941 Marx Lightning Express ride-on steam locomotive, some 1930's sand toys by Wolverine, etc.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

I have something from Nylint in the basement that was mine as a tot- I'll have to locate it & see if it's worth a future other than the scrap barrel.

I also have a very old '37-38 Chevy cast iron coupe (I think it has wood wheels), and an all-aluminum circa '40 coupe- no markings, generic design. The '37 I'm keeping, but the '40 I would gladly let go... tho I think it's outside your focus.

Nice, neat collection, BTW !!

Edited by balthazar, 05 October 2009 - 10:21 PM.

XP715

Suburban Commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:58 AM

I'd love to see pictures of them at some point when you get a chance, even the one you don't want to sell. I love seeing what's out there even if I can't have it.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

Here's the 'aluma-coupe' :

-- -- -- -- --

The Nylint stuff I have is in pretty deplorable shape, plus it's larger scale that I believe you show above. There's a dune buggy & a "Vacationer' trailer- both banged up w/ some rust. Junk.

Edited by balthazar, 06 October 2009 - 07:59 PM.

XP715

Suburban Commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

That aluminum car is neat, but it isn't something I'm interested in. As far as your Nylints are concerned, I'm not too keen on the dune buggys of the era, but the "Vacationer" trailer, if my memory serves me correctly, should be turquoise and white and was originally packaged with a 1966 Ford Bronco in the same colors. Any chance you have the Bronco somewhere? The Nylint Fords are some of the most sought after trucks of the 60's; they really nailed the details and they are faithful reproductions of the real thing. Some of the mid 60's ones even have a functional Twin I-Beam front suspension in keeping with the then-new technology found on the real trucks. I have the 1960 U-Haul pickup and open trailer in mint condition which I purchased from the original owner this summer and it is one of my favorites. I don't like Fords, I especially don't like the look of the 1960 nose, but what a handsome little toy it is; the stance and proportions are PERFECT. Much better looking, in my opinion, than a Tonka from the same year. Also, don't be so convinced your trailer is junk; it may be worth a couple bucks to a restorer for parts. Does it still have its rear door? Lots of times little things like that go missing, and with no reproductions available, the ones that are left will always have SOME value. As far as the scale is concerned, Nylint made one scale of toy vehicle during this period and this is it. But scale is irrelevant because I like things in every size.

Anybody else have something to share?

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:14 PM

Vacationer is indeed turquoise & white. Back door: gone. But for the life of me I cannot recall a '66 Bronco coming with it. I do also have a 'T'-shaped Nylint boat trailer, but no boat either. If you are interested, you can have all 3 for the cost of shipping. Working on a pic of the Arcade '37 Chevy...

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,560 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

Cool...I have some Tonka, Nylint and Buddy-L from my own childhood...all '70s vintage and well played with. I have a Nylint '75 or so Chevy longbed pickup (white w/ red roof, 'Tru Value' hardware colors), a similar silver Blazer of the same vintage, a blue w/ white interior Jeep Jeepster w/ a boat on a boat trailer, a custom purple Dodge van w/ opening rear door (ERTL, I believe), a Dodge dump truck, etc. A couple ERTL IH Transtar trucks w/ trailers (tanker and car hauler) and some ERTL farm equipment. Great stuff. I still have all my Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Tomica, Majorette, etc diecast from childhood also.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar, 06 October 2009 - 09:39 PM.

Northstar

Be afraid of Jake. Very, very afaid.

• Members
  • 15,304 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:15 AM

How large are these? It's rather hard to tell from the picture, but my dad has a Texaco truck like is pictured above, but I would guess it is much bigger -- probably 6 inches tall and 2 feet long. He also has an old horse trailer that's white and gold, and I think a couple other old vehicles, but I don't remember specifically.

XP715

Suburban Commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (Northstar @ Oct 7 2009, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How large are these? It's rather hard to tell from the picture, but my dad has a Texaco truck like is pictured above, but I would guess it is much bigger -- probably 6 inches tall and 2 feet long. He also has an old horse trailer that's white and gold, and I think a couple other old vehicles, but I don't remember specifically.

That's exactly how big my Texaco tanker is, 7 inches tall and about 25 inches overall length. All the major toy manufacturers in this era made one large scale of toy, which is what you see here, and maybe one mini scale. I collect only this scale from this era, the earlier toys; the mini stuff is a bit later, say mid to late 60's. The 1960's was a big turning point for toys. At the beginning of the decade, they were all-steel save for little things like windshields and sideview mirrors, and were representative of what was really on the road. By the end of the 1960's, the use of plastic was much more liberal, and the styling of real vehicles was ditched largely in favor of a combination of cartoonish mod styling and the styling of experimental gas turbine trucks of the era. Almost everything ended up with a wedge-shaped cab with a mile high windshield, giant chrome stacks that look like Corvette sidepipes turned on end, and Cragar S/S wheels with big fat (sometimes raised white letter) drag radials, as if George Barris took over the design teams of every toy manufacturer. These toys do not interest me AT ALL. Once they stop looking real, I have zero interest in them. These two Structo dump trucks illustrate what I'm talking about:

This dump truck is from anywhere from 1961-1963. Looks a lot like the Fords of the era that would be on the road. The only plastic on the entire truck besides the windshield are the windshield wipers, sideview mirrors and horn, which the owner was responsible for putting on; they came in a little bag inside the box. Tires have a tread that look like they belong on a dump truck.

This dump truck is from anywhere from 1966-1968. Modeled after the experimental gas turbine trucks of the era. It has an ugly molded plastic interior, and an ugly molded plastic one-piece grille/headlights/bumper. Wheels appear to be Cragar S/S's or Torq-Thrusts with Hoosier street slicks. Ridiculous.

Northstar: Any chance your father would be looking to get rid of his toys? If so, let me know.

Anybody else have old toys kicking around they're looking to get rid of, or even just feel like talking about them and the thousands of miles of roads you built in the backyard with them? Please share!

Edited by XP715, 07 October 2009 - 08:13 AM.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

I get you (and agree) on the collection criteria. Still, I had to smile:
>>"Tires have a tread that look like they belong on a dump truck."<<
Military tread tires with wide whitewalls. smilewide.gif

XP715

Suburban Commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

Yeah, well, it's another styling trend bandwagon that a lot of the big manufacturers jumped on around the same time for a little while. I have Tonkas, Structos, Nylints, and Buddy-L's that have wide whites on them that all WOULDN'T have had wide whites on them if they were made a few years prior or later than they were.

Also, since I can't add to my original post, if you all could also be on the lookout for pre-1962 Erector sets, toy steam engines from any American/English/German manufacturers (Jensen, Marklin, Bing, Fleischmann, etc.), and any old lithographed tin train sets (Marx, American Flyer, etc.), or anything else you may think I might be interested in, please let me know. Even if you want to keep it, I'd still love to hear about it and maybe see some pictures. Surely more of you than have spoken up so far have something neat of this nature they'd like to talk about and/or show off.

Edited by XP715, 07 October 2009 - 08:44 PM.

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • 28,903 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

I had so much of this stuff as a kid, but sadly it is all gone now.

Wish I could help.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,506 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

Hmm, I've got a few of those kicking around. they're in rough shape, but IIRC I saw a couple of them in the attic.

XP715

Suburban Commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Dodgefan @ Oct 7 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, I've got a few of those kicking around. they're in rough shape, but IIRC I saw a couple of them in the attic.

Early 60's or older? If so, please dig them out and show me if you get a chance.

XP715

Suburban Commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:12 AM

Picked up this 1930's Keystone ride-on steam roller this morning at a local flea market:

Underneath you can see part of my 1941 Marx Lightning Express ride-on steam locomotive. This stuff is still out there, guys! Keep your responses coming!

DaveC

Stock Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

Hi my name is Dave. I have a Buddy L GMC Model 550 Texaco Tanker truck, in all original condition. A little rust and wear but not too bad. If you are intersted or know anyone that is let me know. Thank you.

XP715

Suburban Commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:57 PM

Do you happen to have any pictures by any chance?

eyoung429

Stock Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Here's a few of mine

Attached Images

• more_001.jpg
  • more_004.jpg
  • Picture 001.jpg
  • Picture 008.jpg
  • Picture 001.jpg