Exactly what we've seen from the photos and the drawings. Not bad. In fact, it's one of the first volume vehicles from Ford that is attractive and original. Something we've only seen with the Fusion. It will be a nice competitor to the NOX since it is probably around the same size and it might steal sales away from Murrano buyers who might be looking for something a bit smaller and a bit more reliable.

Interior is somewhat drab but looks pretty solid. Very similar to the RX330. They need to use more colors and better controls.

Edited by Cadillacfan

i demand interior pics!

seeing this makes me realize the aviator really isn't going to look much different. good thing there isn't a merc version, would be shameful

man Northstar said you'd want interior pics! none were given man. But we'll have em up as live shots first thing tomorrow. They might release some more images before then too. But overall I think this is awesome for Ford. it will sell really well.

Maybe I'll like it more in a different color with different wheels. More pics would help... I haven't made up my mind yet. It's definitely futuristic and professional, though. Hm. I think I'll like it. Based on that new Mazda, eh?

Edit: With those new pics, um, the wheels are definitely too small. The interior is decent. I don't like it as much as the Fusion trio. I give it 7.5/10. Hopefully the Aviator will be better.

Edited by empowah

I found this interesting:

Class-Exclusive Panoramic Vista Roof

Edge's available panoramic Vista Roof opens up a whole world of possibilities. The large glass moon roof provides a grand view of the sky above and can open for a sense of freedom that accentuates Edge's sporting nature.

The roof features a large 27.3- by 29.4-inch forward panel that offers tilt and slide opening, and a 15.75- by 31.3-inch fixed rear glass panel. A one-touch-open switch provides open-air touring. Close the forward roof, and the enormous skylights allow natural light to flood the cabin, while protecting the cabin from the elements. When preferred, the twin power-operated cloth shades can be closed simultaneously to block glare.

"When you sit in this vehicle and look up and see the sky all around you, you just want to take it out for a drive and chase the horizon," says Horbury.

Personally, the design is a little less "Edgy" than I was expecting, but it does seem like a good effort from Ford that will probably appeal to people. The 250-hp V6 is definately appealing. The interior seems a little lacking though....I just don't really like the way the center stack sticks out so far. The overall dash is kinda barren.

Posted Image

Looks better in a color.

I'm glad to see Ford designs getter more attractive. If GM and Ford can but together a killer lineup for late 2006-07 we can stop this domestic slide and maybe convince some people TO HAVE PRIDE IN WHAT YOUR OWN COUNTRY PRODUCES.

The USA has to be the biggest self-loathing country. The rich hate the coutnry that made them money, hate the people that work for them to make them money and teach those around them to hate.

Blows my mind.

I totally agree, Walt. What is wrong with us? The USA has more cultural influence over the world than any country, ever, yet we cannot have pride in our own products. Stupid.

The Edge is a goodlooking crossover, chunkier and maybe more complete than an Equinox. Certainly more powerful. Is it a direct competitor for Equinox, or is it a step above it? Seems like a Lambda-style vehicle, has Ford beaten GM to the punch in this class?

I hope it sells like crazy. The only thing I would change is the taillights... isn't that fad over yet?

Edited by ocnblu

Compared to the Freestyle, I notice that the Edge is shorter (185.7 vs 200.7), taller (67 vs 60.1), and heavier (4098 vs. 3649). No wonder I don't see that the Edge will offer the Fusions's 4 cylinder engine. I like the Freestyle better myself, although it needs the 3.5. Compared to the Edge, the Equinox is longer (188.8 vs 185), taller (69.3 vs 67), and lighter (3668 vs 4098). The Edge appears to be a very stout little crossover.

I like it but then I don't. It's definately a looker but viewing it head on makes me dizzy. I'm not liking how the front turn signal indicators branch off of the headlights. I think they should have been combined into one big square/rectangle like the Fusion's. The other problem is that it looks chunky and that makes the wheels look small.

The interior seems nice and well-designed, though. I like it better in black, though a two-tone would look even better.

2006 should be an interesting year.

Agreed. I like this interior better than Equinox, judging from the photos. Thanks for the size perspective, ehaase. When I drove an Equinox, I got the impression that it was somewhat of a lightweight, in a slightly negative sense. It must be smartly designed, however, to have such good crash test scores.

Does Edge have a 3rd seat? If so, I hope it's an option, because it's gotta be for show only. Overall, a good effort by Ford. I like the fact that there's no Mercury clone so far. I just hope the Lincoln can somehow capture its own character.

I really like it. I was hoping for some more design distinction in the greenhouse area, but the front and rear ends are nicely-stylish.

For me, I think the interior rocks.....the center stack gives it a bit more style.

I can't wait to see how the new 3.5L sounds/drives/feels.

Since this is the first application of the Ford/GM 6-speed automatic.....when are we going to see GM's version? Lambdas?

Unfortunately, Aviator (or MKX or whatever it's called) will be a sorry rebadge....

The interior looks better than the new RAV4's, which, in person, feels horribly cheap and disgusting.

That's funny......I sat in all of them at LAIAS and found the new RAV4's interior to be quite nice.....and a stylish place to be.

It definitely avoids major blandness with the two-tier center stack.....and I like the contrasting colors (charcoal/beige) when you get the beige interior.

The switchgear is the usual Toyota-quality stuff that feels beyond reproach and somehow Toyota continues to figure out how to use 100% hard plastics that feel, look, and appear better than many other guys' soft-touch stuff.

The interior looks better than the new RAV4's, which, in person, feels horribly cheap and disgusting.

Not that it'll matter much...

Espesically once the media convinces us otherwise.

That's funny......I sat in all of them at LAIAS and found the new RAV4's interior to be quite nice.....and a stylish place to be.

lol...

It definitely avoids major blandness with the two-tier center stack.....and I like the contrasting colors (charcoal/beige) when you get the beige interior.

Bland, bland, bland.... One of the very reasons I hate Toyota and one of their weakest points... The sad thing is: it sells. Cars with no style and no soul. Like plain oatmeal, cheap, ugly, bland and flavorless, yet adored by the masses for no particular reason at all.

The switchgear is the usual Toyota-quality stuff that feels beyond reproach and somehow Toyota continues to figure out how to use 100% hard plastics that feel, look, and appear better than many other guys' soft-touch stuff.

Or it could just be years or REALLY good REPETITVE P.R. that makes you think it's "beyond reproach."

(No offense O.C.--You know I'm just picking for the fun of it.)

Overall I think this will be a hit! If anything it's major downfall will be the profile of the vehicle.

As awesome as that powerful V6 and up to date transmission sound... I'm sure they "aren't as smooth as (Insert sushi wagon here)" or "don't feel as nice as (Insert anime inspired vehicle here)"

I only inspected the silver one with the dreary grey interior... the one that had a red sheet on the rear window proclaiming "Look! I'm 44% larger!"

IDK... for something that can cost $30K and essentially replaces the Highlander, I found the quality lacking. It may have grown from "compact" to "midsize" in size, performance, and engineering, but definitely not quality. When you go again next week, notice the flimsy sliding upper glovebox cover and the coarse, hollow sounding lower plastics, convincingly-grained they may be... but shouldn't a $20K+ car, particularly a Toyota, get the real stuff?

Edited by empowah

Real-world pics look much, much better. However, the paint is the color of someone who got their suntan in a bottle; hopefully that's not indicative of the sort of buyer it'll attract. And those chrome wheels, too.

(Oops, I pulled a James May there...)

Guest YellowJacket894

In that Orange color, it reminds me a whole lot of the Range Rover Sport.

In other words, this is a tough looking soft-roader. The three-bar grille looks really good on the Edge, like it does on the Fusion (although the bars on that model could be thicker).

Ford and GM are making great, solid products here lately and things can only get better. And, to tell the truth, Toyota will eventually fall behind. They're getting too over confident, and, judging by recent products, will start to slowly deteriorate and will get in the shape of GM in the '80s.

This looked really good at the debut. Unfortunately people I talked to who went down to sit in it said the interior is bad. All hard plastic.

And YES this car is in production form.

Unfortunate but not surprising with Ford. And this is the top model too, so it's not like just the base model is bad.

:lol: You think Im a Toyota/import mouth piece? You're weird. Anyways, just reporting the facts.

Anyhow I gotta hit the sack, press conferences start waaaaay too early tomorrow.

No I wasn't referring to you and come to think of it, maybe I am a little bit weird :blink:

Anyway, I was actually talking about "those who went down to sit in it" which were probably the same people who have glorified everything imported for the past 10 years; the journalists.

Uggly.

Same old Ford gauges, same old Ford steering wheel, unpleasant center stack, and disgusting exterior.

This looked really good at the debut. Unfortunately people I talked to who went down to sit in it said the interior is bad. All hard plastic.

And YES this car is in production form.

asl ong as that "all hard plastic" functions right, it doesnt matter. a Camry has hard plastic too. what the hell is wrong with hardp lastic anyway? My pickup has it and it works fine. It doesnt have to feel soft to be good quality.

I just looked through the window. The interior is almost identical to the Fusion in many ways. The fusion I do not like inside. Its those darn hard plastics. but in this application, meaning an suv, it isn't as egregious a thing and there is another small step up in quality from the fusion here but it is the very little things most won't notice.

I dont' understand how anyone wouldnt' go buy the CX-7 over this. How is mazda building these awesome interiors and Ford isn't?

weird.

I just looked through the window. The interior is almost identical to the Fusion in many ways. The fusion I do not like inside. Its those darn hard plastics.

mphmag.....I thought you knew your stuff......

:huh:

Fusion is NOTED for having lots of soft, squishy, deeply-textured elephant-grain plastic inside....there's almost NO hard plastic (unless you count trim pieces like HVAC/radio surround......or gear shifter surround.....

But I do agree with you that in an SUV or truck it's less of an issue......as long as it's GOOD hard plastic. The new Tahoe is a perfect example. It's got nothing BUT hard plastic inside on the dash.....but the quality of it and the fit-and-finish is SO FAR ahead of the last-generation Tahoe, it still looks good and actually even feels okay.

O.C.

Noting a car for elephant grain on the plastic does not mean the plastic itself is not hard. It is a general trend in the industry. DCX is worse with that but all the americans, and others of course, do this.

I don't think there is one "squishy" part of the fusion. Unless you count the seats.

I'm doing an extended drive in one next week. I'll report back but I've been in a few so far and the exterior is the winning element of this car.

DT

O.C.

Noting a car for elephant grain on the plastic does not mean the plastic itself is not hard. It is a general trend in the industry. DCX is worse with that but all the americans, and others of course, do this.

I don't think there is one "squishy" part of the fusion. Unless you count the seats.

I'm doing an extended drive in one next week. I'll report back but I've been in a few so far and the exterior is the winning element of this car.

DT

You haven't sat in the Fusion, unless you didn't touch anything at all. There is plenty of squishy material in the Fusion. It is a very well-done interior.

You haven't sat in the Fusion, unless you didn't touch anything at all.  There is plenty of squishy material in the Fusion.  It is a very well-done interior.

please post an interior shot and point out the squishy parts cause I'm lost in translation here guys. It is not a great interior. It isn't bad. It competes with the G6 but doesn't blow anyone away.