• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

MyerShift

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

Uggly. Same old Ford gauges, same old Ford steering wheel, unpleasant center stack, and disgusting exterior.

sciguy_0504

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:21 AM

The gauges crack me up, too, MyerShift. I guess they're standard on all Fords from now on?

Innotech

Stock Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:33 AM

This looked really good at the debut. Unfortunately people I talked to who went down to sit in it said the interior is bad. All hard plastic.

And YES this car is in production form.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

asl ong as that "all hard plastic" functions right, it doesnt matter. a Camry has hard plastic too. what the hell is wrong with hardp lastic anyway? My pickup has it and it works fine. It doesnt have to feel soft to be good quality.

mphmag

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

I just looked through the window. The interior is almost identical to the Fusion in many ways. The fusion I do not like inside. Its those darn hard plastics. but in this application, meaning an suv, it isn't as egregious a thing and there is another small step up in quality from the fusion here but it is the very little things most won't notice. I dont' understand how anyone wouldnt' go buy the CX-7 over this. How is mazda building these awesome interiors and Ford isn't? weird.

ehaase

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:53 PM

I dont' understand how anyone wouldnt' go buy the CX-7 over this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Ford will probably be cheaper, and some people would prefer a normally aspirated V6 to a turbo 4 cylinder.

ToniCipriani

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,648 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:42 PM

Design theft! Design theft! From the rear angle it looks like a Saab 9-7x inflated with an air pump.

The O.C.

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

I just looked through the window. The interior is almost identical to the Fusion in many ways. The fusion I do not like inside. Its those darn hard plastics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mphmag.....I thought you knew your stuff......

:huh:

Fusion is NOTED for having lots of soft, squishy, deeply-textured elephant-grain plastic inside....there's almost NO hard plastic (unless you count trim pieces like HVAC/radio surround......or gear shifter surround.....

But I do agree with you that in an SUV or truck it's less of an issue......as long as it's GOOD hard plastic. The new Tahoe is a perfect example. It's got nothing BUT hard plastic inside on the dash.....but the quality of it and the fit-and-finish is SO FAR ahead of the last-generation Tahoe, it still looks good and actually even feels okay.

mphmag

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:53 PM

O.C. Noting a car for elephant grain on the plastic does not mean the plastic itself is not hard. It is a general trend in the industry. DCX is worse with that but all the americans, and others of course, do this. I don't think there is one "squishy" part of the fusion. Unless you count the seats. I'm doing an extended drive in one next week. I'll report back but I've been in a few so far and the exterior is the winning element of this car. DT

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

O.C.
Noting a car for elephant grain on the plastic does not mean the plastic itself is not hard. It is a general trend in the industry. DCX is worse with that but all the americans, and others of course, do this.

I don't think there is one "squishy" part of the fusion. Unless you count the seats.
I'm doing an extended drive in one next week. I'll report back but I've been in a few so far and the exterior is the winning element of this car.

DT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You haven't sat in the Fusion, unless you didn't touch anything at all. There is plenty of squishy material in the Fusion. It is a very well-done interior.

mphmag

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:19 PM

You haven't sat in the Fusion, unless you didn't touch anything at all.  There is plenty of squishy material in the Fusion.  It is a very well-done interior.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

please post an interior shot and point out the squishy parts cause I'm lost in translation here guys. It is not a great interior. It isn't bad. It competes with the G6 but doesn't blow anyone away.

pow

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,376 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:32 PM

please post an interior shot and point out the squishy parts cause I'm lost in translation here guys. It is not a great interior. It isn't bad. It competes with the G6 but doesn't blow anyone away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The upper dash and upper door panel materials are made of decent, "squishy" material. It's not great, but few interiors are for ~$20K.

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:59 PM

At LAIAS it was one of the very few interiors that impressed our group. The little classy touches Ford has put in there really help. Instead of posting pictures, why don't you just sit in one and feel the dash? Then you can actually see for yourself.

tama z71

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

Does Ford design every single interior with a ruler and a t-square? Come on, already.

Petra

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

Did anyone else have the problem with the stupid Ford broad closing all the Edge's doors? I wanted to get a picture of the interior, but she decided to close all the doors just as I was about to take my shot. So, instead I got this one:

Posted Image

I've got to admit, the Edge looks better in person than in pictures. It seems a lot bigger and more substantial. The wheels probably helped with this, they were huge! Plus, they picked a good, striking colour for it. On the downside, the interior isn't anything to write home about, and you can tell that it's the same thing as the Mazda CX-7 and Lincoln MX... especially since the CX-7 is only a few feet away, in clear sight.

BTW: To add insult to injury, my camera gave up the ghost just after I took the above pic, which pissed me off to no end. I felt a little vindicated, though, when I heard the spokesmodel flub a couple lines. You can tell which ones they pay simply to look pretty, and which actually know something about the cars they're spouting off about.

mphmag

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

At LAIAS it was one of the very few interiors that impressed our group.  The little classy touches Ford has put in there really help.

Instead of posting pictures, why don't you just sit in one and feel the dash?  Then you can actually see for yourself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I've stated I've sat in one. Driven one. tested the Mercury version for a week and have the fusion coming for a week next week.

I just don't get how you sit in that interior and see it as anything superior to something like the G6. It's certainly not better than the dated Mazda6. Which I prefer to all 3.

Is it better than the Taurus? Of course. But that's not hard. I'm waiting for Ford to take a leap with their interiors to at least match the quality and feel of Mazda. Maybe we'll have to wait for their next gen vehicles...

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:32 PM

I think I've stated I've sat in one. Driven one. tested the Mercury version for a week and have the fusion coming for a week next week.

I just don't get how you sit in that interior and see it as anything superior to something like the G6. It's certainly not better than the dated Mazda6. Which I prefer to all 3.

Is it better than the Taurus? Of course. But that's not hard. I'm waiting for Ford to take a leap with their interiors to at least match the quality and feel of Mazda. Maybe we'll have to wait for their next gen vehicles...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: YOU THINK THE G6 IS ON PAR WITH THE FUSION????

OK...This debate is over and done with right now...If you don't like Ford for whatever reason and have a soft spot for GM, that's great, but please, for the love of God, be OBJECTIVE!

The G6 is so full of hard, poorly-grained plastic and doesn't compare at all to the Fusion except unfavorably. Now the design is pretty minimalist in the Ford and Mercury versions, but the quality of materials are top notch. For that price point on those cars, those materials are well above average.

mphmag

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

:lol: YOU THINK THE G6 IS ON PAR WITH THE FUSION????

OK...This debate is over and done with right now...If you don't like Ford for whatever reason and have a soft spot for GM, that's great, but please, for the love of God, be OBJECTIVE!

The G6 is so full of hard, poorly-grained plastic and doesn't compare at all to the Fusion except unfavorably.  Now the design is pretty minimalist in the Ford and Mercury versions, but the quality of materials are top notch.  For that price point on those cars, those materials are well above average.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is F'in hularious as I had to defend myself against GM lovers my entire time at Autoblog.

Sheesh. Maybe I was in the wrong Fusion and Milan. but I think to say it is "top notch" even at that price is plain wrong as the Camry,the old one, Accord and Mazda 6 are all far superior. Oh those aren't American...hmmm.
I think if you were a buyer you'd have a tough choice between a G6 and Fusion. I don't think joe schmoe would sit in both and go "boy that Fusion's interior is just so much better I have to buy that"

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

This is F'in hularious as I had to defend myself against GM lovers my entire time at Autoblog.

Sheesh. Maybe I was in the wrong Fusion and Milan. but I think to say it is "top notch" even at that price is plain wrong as the Camry,the old one, Accord and Mazda 6 are all far superior. Oh those aren't American...hmmm.
I think if you were a buyer you'd have a tough choice between a G6 and Fusion. I don't think joe schmoe would sit in both and go "boy that Fusion's interior is just so much better I have to buy that"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fusion is incredible compared to the G6. Now, if the choice were between the SAAB 9-3 and the Fusion/Milan, it would be tough, but the 9-3 might edge out the Milan.

Before you ignorantly call me an import-hater, why don't you find my post where I went through all the interior impressions of the autoshow? Except for the SAAB 9-3 line, there was NOTHING GM I really liked.

corvette_dude729

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:14 PM

Does anyone but me think that the ford logo looks REALLY dated and should be upated. Maybe still have the blue circle, just not script lettering, maybe like a block lettereng. They should still put the old logo on the keys and doors and stuff. Kind of like what dodge/chrysler did with the pentagon.

Edited by corvette_dude729, 29 January 2006 - 05:50 PM.

01LightningGal

Stock Member

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:42 PM

Hmmm, then maybe Chevrolet should get rid of the bowtie??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users