• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,644 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

I have enabled the reputation system. Your posts can now be voted up or down by the site membership at large. You can also vote on other people's posts.

The amount of reputation points you can spend per day depends on your membership level.

Admin - 100 positive, 100 negative
Editor - 50 positive, 50 negative
Moderator - 50 positive, 50 negative
Premium subscriber - 20 positive, 20 negative
Standard member - 8 positive, 8 negative

Once everyone has an established reputation, you will be able to filter posts by rep points.

The reputation scale is as follows:

Bad
Poor
Neutral
Good
Excellent

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

Olds,

I personally think it is a good system - something which will lead to the increased accountability and credibility to the site. There are a couple of issues that I think we should elaborately address.

1. There are members who post trolls regardless of the warn levels issued by the administrators. What do you recommend for such posters? I personally think such members will not heed to the ratings they receive. Do you think continual posting of trolls when the rating is "Poor" should effect in increase in the warn level?

2. What if there is a personal rivalry between some members resulting in degradation of the other member's post? How can such an issue be addressed? Do you think we should restrict the ratings given by one member to the other particular member per day to like 2 or 3? I mean if the post is real bad it will show by votes received by multiple members. I just think it should be reasonable to reduce the personal bias by some members to other particular members with whom they do not see eye to eye.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 29,644 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

People who troll and have their posts voted down accordingly will stop showing up in peoples lists of posts. They can then troll all they want and not bother anyone.

The forum is going to have a slightly self moderated feel to it. It's set up in such a way that one person can't obliterate a person's reputation... and other people can come along and restore it.

the_yellow_dart

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

On Xbox Live, this is a great system and I support it. In a message board, however, I have some concerns. I'm worried about missing pieces of the conversation. Just because a large portion of the community at C+G dislikes somebody doesn't mean that they won't have something valid to say in a given conversation.

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

On Xbox Live, this is a great system and I support it. In a message board, however, I have some concerns. I'm worried about missing pieces of the conversation. Just because a large portion of the community at C+G dislikes somebody doesn't mean that they won't have something valid to say in a given conversation.

Well, I've blocked a few users in the past who just annoyed me to no end. In the conversation, there is a small bar where the blocked post would be, and if I want to read it because it's referenced below, I can click on the link and restore the post for that viewing session. Otherwise, the user and their caustic attitude is blocked. I love it.

the_yellow_dart

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

Well, I've blocked a few users in the past who just annoyed me to no end. In the conversation, there is a small bar where the blocked post would be, and if I want to read it because it's referenced below, I can click on the link and restore the post for that viewing session. Otherwise, the user and their caustic attitude is blocked. I love it.

I can see how that would be nice. I've never hated anyone badly enough on this site to resort to that.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 29,644 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:21 AM

I can see how that would be nice. I've never hated anyone badly enough on this site to resort to that.

At the bottom of the thread you can adjust your post view threshold. If you want to see every post regardless of reputation, you can set it to not filter.

Post Threshold.PNG

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

I don't hate anyone. There are two posters who seem to have an active vendetta against me; since any response whatsoever to their posts just seems to provoke them, I have them on ignore and don't read their posts unless the discussion downthread indicates they were unusually insightful that day. Helps with the civility.

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

At the bottom of the thread you can adjust your post view threshold. If you want to see every post regardless of reputation, you can set it to not filter.

Post Threshold.PNG

It says I don't have permission to view your attachment, and I see no view threshold indicator at the bottom of the thread...

z28luvr01

Mr. Fantastic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

I don't hate anyone. There are two posters who seem to have an active vendetta against me; since any response whatsoever to their posts just seems to provoke them, I have them on ignore and don't read their posts unless the discussion downthread indicates they were unusually insightful that day. Helps with the civility.

j/k

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 29,644 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

permissions issue that should be fixed now.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

Well, everyone likes me, so don't have to worry.... :smilewide:

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

Still not seeing that menu anywhere in a thread...

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 29,644 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Does anyone else not see it?

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

AH! I see a little thing that just says in text "Currently viewing all posts. Change threshold?" But it isn't a menu, at least not prior to clicking on it.

Yeah, it just isn't a menu until you click on it.

Edited by Croc, 03 December 2009 - 01:52 PM.

AAS

Camaro Member #1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

Still not seeing that menu anywhere in a thread...

Does anyone else not see it?

It's not so much a drop-down menu, as just a link under the last post that reads "Currently viewing all posts. Change threshold?".

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,380 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:53 PM

It's not so much a drop-down menu, as just a link under the last post that reads "Currently viewing all posts. Change threshold?".

Ahh...finally noticed it. Pale blue 2 pt font on dark blue strip.

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

AH! I see a little thing that just says in text "Currently viewing all posts. Change threshold?" But it isn't a menu, at least not prior to clicking on it.

Yeah, it just isn't a menu until you click on it.

+1. You gotta click it or ticket.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,480 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

Great system. We use it on LHF and DI.net. Everyone seems respectful of the system, and I like to think we on this bored will be as well.

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

I've never ignored anyone, and I won't now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users