NewsFeeder

Red-Line

• Editor/Reporter
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Hybrid, Sedan, Hatchback, Ford, Electric

Next-gen Ford Focus live unveiling - Click above for high-res image gallery
It's taken far too long, but an all-new Ford Focus has arrived and we've just seen it in the metal here at the 2010 Detroit Auto Show. Complete with a new platform, new engine, some shapely sheetmetal and a host of tech, this new Focus that we'll finally be sharing with Europe and the rest of the world promises to set a new bar for the small car C-segment.

The Focus will initially be available in the U.S. in both four- and five-door hatchback body styles, with a three-door hatch and coupe likely in the works as well. A new 2.0-liter direct-injected four-cylinder engine producing 155 horsepower and 145 lb-ft of torque will be the only engine at launch, but buyers will have a choice between a six-speed manual transmission and Ford's new six-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Ford also confirmed during its press conference this morning that a Focus Electric is due to arrive in 2012, with a hybrid version arriving the next year - both of which will be built in Michigan.

For all the details, hit up our deep dive of the next generation Ford Focus after checking out our first live shots from the Detroit Auto Show in the gallery below. Hit the jump to watch video of the 2011 Ford Focus live reveal.

Continue reading Detroit 2010: Next-gen Ford Focus a C-segment savior [w/Video]

Detroit 2010: Next-gen Ford Focus a C-segment savior [w/Video] originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:04:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

View the full article

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

Nice! I'm likng the sedan.....it should be an interesting drive!

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,479 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

Looks really good in the live shots.

PONTIAC06

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

It's nice to see the hatch back, but I'm not sure about the front end on it...

JamesBond

Nobody Does it Better

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

Pretty nice, looks like a bigger fiesta, but nothing wrong with that.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

It's nice to see the hatch back, but I'm not sure about the front end on it...

It's a nice, clean look.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,266 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

Makes the Chevrolet Cruze look old. What a bad time for GM to be one-upped. This is much more dynamic, fluid and elegant in design than the Cruze. I prefer the sedan over the 5-door, and hope for a coupe and 3-door version of it, but the 5-door hatch is a very nice evolution of the current Euro car. The Cruze is dowdy by comparison. It hurts to say that.

§carlet §wordfish

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

I don't care for the hatch, I miss the high-mounted taillights on the older versions. The sedan however I find very attractive and has a nice connection to the Taurus's styling.

PONTIAC06

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

It's a nice, clean look.

I don't disagree, but I think the black plast triangles on either side of the lower intake look odd. That's my only complaint

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,479 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

Makes the Chevrolet Cruze look old. What a bad time for GM to be one-upped. This is much more dynamic, fluid and elegant in design than the Cruze. I prefer the sedan over the 5-door, and hope for a coupe and 3-door version of it, but the 5-door hatch is a very nice evolution of the current Euro car. The Cruze is dowdy by comparison. It hurts to say that.

I agree, teh Cruze isn't even out yet and it may already be one-upped.

SAmadei

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

I agree, teh Cruze isn't even out yet and it may already be one-upped.

What does GM expect, they've shown it off for, what, 3 years now and sold it for 18 months or so?

Even the Volt will look behind the curve soon.

IMHO, they should just skip the Cruze and start selling Volts without the batteries as Cruze's...

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,266 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

"Chevrolet Cruze: Batteries Not Included" <----- nice tagline!:lol:

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,479 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

This is a good point. Other R-EV's will be (supposedly) available around the time the Volt finally comes out, and the Focus will have an all electric version.

turbo200

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

the focus is immediately more attractive and empowering than cruze. it's more detailed and more expressive, therefore can sell for more, focus sets the bar for design in compact segment, cruze simply flies just slightly above the standard fare. that's not even getting to the details, which are great. conceptually, the focus interior also tries harder and is fresher.

the hatch plays it too safe [ford-like] at the rear and the rear taillights are too funky. that's my only complaint with this un-ford like fresh and daring design.

Edited by turbo200, 11 January 2010 - 10:51 PM.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,901 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:08 AM

You know something? The same scenario that played out for the Canyon/Colorado twins is playing out for the Cruze. The Canyon/Colorado were some of the best small trucks on the market only within the first few months they were out. Just a very short time later the trucks were easily eclipsed by the competition. It's looking like the same thing is going to pan out for the Cruze.

GM still has one more chance to one-up the Focus and that's with the Buick compact.

Edited by whiteknight, 12 January 2010 - 12:08 AM.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:01 AM

Except the Canyon/Colorado weren't the best trucks when they came out...

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:32 AM

I dislike the hatch but the sedan exterior is rather handsome. I don't really like the interior as shown- it could use a two-tone treatment like the Cruze LTZ showcar. As for Focus vs. Cruze I'll wait until next year and drive them both, but I get the sneaking suspicion the Cruze will have a bigger trunk and interior volume with comparable build tolerances and relatively comparable performance (remember the 1.4 in the Cruze has a Turbo and has a very low RPM for peak torque which means the numbers could be deceiving in the case of the Cruze- don't be surprised if it doesn't feel more grunty than you think). The Focus might have more power but I still prefer the Cruze.

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:46 AM

The Focus will probably be better to drive, that plus its looks inside and out would seal the deal for me.

blackviper8891

Schwarze Schafe

• Editor/Reporter
  • 12,050 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

I like everything... but the front fascia. It's very sporadic in design, and far too busy.

cire

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

I like the sedan. It looks like a 7/8 scale Mondeo. Sharp!

I like the overall shape of the 5-door, but the rather odd taillight shape is a little disturbing. It may grow on me the more I look at it.

Overall, both versions appear to be major winners for Ford. The current Focus doesn't appeal to me at all, but these next gen versions are very attractive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users