Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Do you think today is the tipping point for Toyota's reputation?

Drew Dowdell

What do you think?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think today is the tipping point for Toyota's reputation?

• Yes, they won't recover the positive image they once had.
    • Yes, but they'll recover.
    • No, there is more to come.
    • No, it won't affect them.

I think we've only now gotten to the main chunk of the iceberg; we still have a little bit further to go. Call it a hunch, but I think there's something else Toyota is keeping from North American buyers that will only double the damage done from today once it is exposed.

Yes, this would be the time line on discovery of the issue and what they did to fix it. This bottom part of the "iceberg" as you call it is: SUE'EM SUE'EM SUE'EM!

Too bad this recall involves so many different models. It would be great to stigmatize one model like the Pinto, Yugo or Corvair. Someone needs to come up with a clever yet catchy slogan. "Toyota we keep going even when you dont want to..." No, it should be something good.

Too bad this recall involves so many different models. It would be great to stigmatize one model like the Pinto, Yugo or Corvair. Someone needs to come up with a clever yet catchy slogan. "Toyota we keep going even when you dont want to..." No, it should be something good.

Um, Toyota Recall: Get ready for the ride of your life

The Japanese have a lot standing reputation for organizational excellence. They will go back to the drawing board and resolve what's ailing their organization(s).

Let's face it, Toyota is the land of "red dots" in Consumer Reports. They have produced reliable cars needing little work up to 200,000 to 300,000 miles. Those people will continue to stand by Toyota.

With cars like Malibu, various Buicks, and Fusion/Milan, the Americans are finally reaching "red dot" land. I'm very happy about that. I'm also very happy to own two "mostly red dot" cars.

So, at the end of the day, Toyota will figure it out. However, they will not be able to curb the improving quality of American vehicles.

The Japanese have a lot standing reputation for organizational excellence. They will go back to the drawing board and resolve what's ailing their organization(s).

Let's face it, Toyota is the land of "red dots" in Consumer Reports. They have produced reliable cars needing little work up to 200,000 to 300,000 miles. Those people will continue to stand by Toyota.

With cars like Malibu, various Buicks, and Fusion/Milan, the Americans are finally reaching "red dot" land. I'm very happy about that. I'm also very happy to own two "mostly red dot" cars.

So, at the end of the day, Toyota will figure it out. However, they will not be able to curb the improving quality of American vehicles.

While all of that is most likely true, the "Toyota always builds reliable, safe, well engineered vehicles better than anyone else" reputation is gone.

Sadly, somehow Toyota will claim they stopped selling cars in the interest of keeping their customers safe, and they'll spin it some how to look noble. Then the droids that buy Toyotas and drink the Toyo-aid will fall back in line and go buy another Toyota. It will hurt them this month, but people have short term memories, and Toyota will recover. Which is annoying because they don't deserve a free pass, any other car maker would get ridiculed left and right, especially an American one.

• Agree 2

Sadly, somehow Toyota will claim they stopped selling cars in the interest of keeping their customers safe, and they'll spin it some how to look noble. Then the droids that buy Toyotas and drink the Toyo-aid will fall back in line and go buy another Toyota. It will hurt them this month, but people have short term memories, and Toyota will recover. Which is annoying because they don't deserve a free pass, any other car maker would get ridiculed left and right, especially an American one.

Well true, they did try to spin it that way when they first announced it, that Autoblog posted that they're legally required to.

Nevertheless, Toyota spokesman Mike Michels is reported saying that the company's decision to stop selling the recalled vehicles was voluntary, but that they also had a legal requirement to do so. How do you voluntary do something that you're obligated to do?

I said no, there's more to come. Consumer complaints and vehicles affected but not covered under the recall still points to an electronic issue such drive-by-wire or a software malfunction, not CTS pedal assemblies sticking. The Lexus ES350 is equipped with a Denso pedal, yet we all know what happened in San Diego. Prius's are not covered, yet I remember a story a year or so back where a man parking his Prius accelerated into a garage wall. The Prius is manufactured in Japan and uses Denso pedals, not CTS.

Toyota has done a poor job with damage control and I expect there to be more lawsuits if there are additional injuries in vehicles that escaped this round of recalls.

Edited by mustang84

I said no, there's more to come. Consumer complaints and vehicles affected but not covered under the recall still points to an electronic issue such drive-by-wire or a software malfunction, not CTS pedal assemblies sticking. The Lexus ES350 is equipped with a Denso pedal, yet we all know what happened in San Diego. Prius's are not covered, yet I remember a story a year or so back where a man parking his Prius accelerated into a garage wall. The Prius is manufactured in Japan and uses Denso pedals, not CTS.

Toyota has done a poor job with damage control and I expect there to be more lawsuits if there are additional injuries in vehicles that escaped this round of recalls.

The footage on ABC had pics of some wrecked Priuses, incl. one that ended up in a river...not sure why it's not covered.

It is interesting how these so-called analysts paint a picture that resembles something like a fight for the canvas between Warhol and Picasso. In the end, when if comes to facts, nobody knows what they're trying to tell us.

On one side are the comments about how damaging this issue will be for Toyota's quality and safety reputation. We know that Toyota was essentially forced into halting production and issuing such a massive recall. That didn't seem to phase this guy from reporting his own truth:

The fact that it took immediate responsibility for the problem and has proactively suspended sales of the affected vehicles to make sure they're safe could actually help the company in the longer term. ...I think it signifies that they are not afraid of doing the right thing for the right reasons, that short-term sales and profits are less important than taking care of the consumer and making sure they're safe in Toyota vehicles," Darren Slind, country manager for Canada with consumer survey firm J.D. Power and Associates said Wednesday.

I really find it quite amazing how these analysts view this issue. It's like Toyota messed up and soured their latest batch of Kool-aid, so the analysts jump in to provide the sweetener.

Bill Pochiluk, president of industry adviser AutomotiveCompass, agreed Toyota could successfully use this recall to enhance their existing image as a quality-oriented, customer-focused carmaker, but they will first have to overcome several obstacles along the way.

It's tough to imagine these guys would be commenting on the 'silver lining' if it were any other automobile manufacturer.

Quote Source

Edited by ShadowDog

It is interesting how these so-called analysts paint a picture that resembles something like a fight for the canvas between Warhol and Picasso. In the end, when if comes to facts, nobody knows what they're trying to tell us.

On one side are the comments about how damaging this issue will be for Toyota's quality and safety reputation. We know that Toyota was essentially forced into halting production and issuing such a massive recall. That didn't seem to phase this guy from reporting his own truth:

I really find it quite amazing how these analysts view this issue. It's like Toyota messed up and soured their latest batch of Kool-aid, so the analysts jump in to provide the sweetener.

It's tough to imagine these guys would be commenting on the 'silver lining' if it were any other automobile manufacturer.

Quote Source

Before death comes denial.

I said No, there's more to come, too.

Even if some of us on the car forums know or suspect 90% of the problemS, it hasn't made it into the general public's consciousness yet - - BUT IT WILL.

Toyota & JAPAN INC. have done a GREAT job with cover-up/conspiracy for years if not DECADES

but

it looks like it's all unravelling.

ABOUT TIME!