Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Interactive Review: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS RS Manual

I took it out at lunch time today. I'm feeling good with the 6-speed now. I haven't driven a stick in awhile. I was taking it slow on the take-off from stoplights and I had a woman in a Daewoo honk at me because I was starting too slow for her liking at the green light.

I like it a lot too. It goes really nice with the two-tone interior. The cell phone photo does not do the RS package justice. Wait till I unleash the Nikon D5000 on it.

Looking forward to seeing the better pics, esp. of the interior..I've only seen gray and gray/orange ones up close.

have fun with it! let us know your impressions on the interior, and the visibility and blind spots etc. I have heard folks gripe about the trunk, but it doesn't seem to me like the trunk is really that bad is it?

The trunk is deceiving. There is quite a bit of room in there once you get past the small opening. There is no spare tire though. You get tire goo and a inflation pump. Also, the rear seats fold down in this model. Since I am 6'4'' and have the seat all the way back, they don't fold down very far however. I'll post photos of it.

As far as blind spots. Since I'm tall, I can see great out the back window without any problem. The B pillar however ruins any blind spot check that I would typically do when changing lanes. I have adjusted to look less behind and more to the side and that seems to be helping.

Looks like a fun ride...I'm interested in the visceral impressions...how it sounds under acceleration, feels going through the corners, shifter/clutch feel, braking feel. How's the cars' driveability and livability? Sounds like you are going on a road trip with it..should be good for those kinds of observations..

Looks like a fun ride...I'm interested in the visceral impressions...how it sounds under acceleration, feels going through the corners, shifter/clutch feel, braking feel. How's the cars' driveability and livability? Sounds like you are going on a road trip with it..should be good for those kinds of observations..

Sounds: It is hard to decide which sound I like better. Right when you start the car up, or when you give it the gas in 2nd gear. I will be filming some videos with sound and try to capture the sound the best I can.

Feel: Even with the traction control on, the rear end can slip out a bit if you give it enough gas. The car is solid and is predictable in everyday driving.

Shifter/Clutch: The clutch is not tiresome at all for your leg. It has a nice sweet spot in it, but the shifter is not my favorite. I don't know what it is, maybe I am not used to it enough. I'll see if my impressions change here in a few days.

Livability: For somebody like me, (Late 20s, single) the car is great. It would allow somebody like me to hold out at least until the future kids get out of the safety seats as putting those in the back would be a breeze. I could never get one with a sunroof as I will demonstrate later and the power seat is a must for larger drivers to get comfortable. If I didn't like the sound of the engine so much, I'm sure I could get better gas mileage.

The trunk is deceiving. There is quite a bit of room in there once you get past the small opening. There is no spare tire though. You get tire goo and a inflation pump. Also, the rear seats fold down in this model. Since I am 6'4'' and have the seat all the way back, they don't fold down very far however. I'll post photos of it.

As far as blind spots. Since I'm tall, I can see great out the back window without any problem. The B pillar however ruins any blind spot check that I would typically do when changing lanes. I have adjusted to look less behind and more to the side and that seems to be helping.

To ask a stupid question, have you tried putting your seat forward far enough to fold the seats down all the way then moving your seat back again? I had to do that in my old firebird because I had to lay back so far...can't tell from your picture if there's enough room for that to work.

To ask a stupid question, have you tried putting your seat forward far enough to fold the seats down all the way then moving your seat back again? I had to do that in my old firebird because I had to lay back so far...can't tell from your picture if there's enough room for that to work.

I will try this tomorrow. I didn't even think about this. I bet it will work.

comment on the steering wheel.

to me, the thing is HUGE, is shaped odd, is off center from its rotation point, has the big fat cover on it, and the controls on it seem oriented away from the natural angle of your fingers.

I actually really like the steering wheel for regular driving. I could see if you were to take the car to the track it may be problematic. I'm not much for steering wheel controls for radio and phone anyways. The cruise control is easy to use.

One thing about controls though, the radio buttons are too easy to press. There is not enough resistance in them. I think having a bit more feedback on the pressure of the buttons would make a difference. When I press the advance song button, I can feel the edges of the console and it feels flimsy. It's not a huge deal, just a minor issue.

Yeah no split fold, but I have to say the trunk was able to hold my brand new vacuum in it's box without a problem. Before leaving on my trip tonight, I'll take a photo of the luggage inside.

It wouldn't be a big issue for me except I snowboard a lot in the winter, could only carpool with one passenger. I could live with it though for such a sweet ride. I'd sooner change the large silver plastic on the door skin.

Interior night shot is cool, like the light pipes in the door.

They're very cool. It's a shame GM couldn't get the light pipes across the same crease in the dash to work out for the first model year too, but we'll see in time. As now, on the doors alone it's such a cool detail.

For as low, tight, etc. of a car as this seems, I'm amazed at how comfortable and easy to use one has been for my mother (Ms. fused spine lady, too), day in and day out. Shocked me after my Avalanche, but it's really a solid, quiet, comfortable BIG coupe that doesn't feel or look big, and has fun moves. And yes, like a lot of designs, the trunk is larger than it seems--I've seen some pretty amazing grocery packing in there, week after week :AH-HA:

how has ingress / egress been? Does it get annoying after awhile or is not a problem?

It has been fine. The doors are not too big and it is about as high off the ground as my Grand Prix is. I'm big and clumsy and I have not felt any different getting into or out of this car than any other.

P.S. Driving the car to Vegas and back was like floating on a cloud. More to come in my full review.

Interactive Review: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS RS Manual

gallery_253_27_64464.jpg

Just received the Camaro SS RS today. Feel free to post any questions you may have about the car. I plan on taking lots of photos for everybody's enjoyment.

I saw a red RS today and when I past it I couldn't even hear the exhaust. Is your exhaust that quiet too?