NewsFeeder

Red-Line

• Editor/Reporter
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

Filed under: SUV, Hirings/Firings/Layoffs, Plants/Manufacturing, Hummer

2010 Hummer H3 - Click above for high-res image gallery
Would the last one out the door please switch off the lights? The long strange trip that has been the Hummer brand is just about over for General Motors. The final ever production H3 rolled out of GM's Shreveport, Louisiana factory on Monday May 24, 2010 on its way to an Avis rental car outlet. As you may recall, GM had actually stopped assembling H3s in mid-2009 as it went through bankruptcy, but it resumed production recently in order to fill an 849 unit special order.

GM tried to sell the Hummer brand to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machines Co., Ltd but the deal ultimately fell apart last February. A subsequent offer from Raser Technologies also went nowhere. Now that production has ceased, 200 of the 900 remaining employees at Shreveport will be laid off by July and the rest of the Hummer staff back at headquarters in Detroit is either leaving or being reassigned.

[Source: The Car Connection]

Turn Out the Lights: Final Hummer H3 rolls off the line... for Avis originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 25 May 2010 11:41:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

View the full article

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ransom E. Olds Reincarnated

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,106 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

END OF THE LINE: LAST HUMMER BUILT
By Andrew Ganz

General Motors’ short-lived Hummer brand officially came to a close earlier this week when the last H3 rolled off the automaker’s Shreveport, Lousiana, assembly line.

The last H3 faces an less-than-glamorous start to its life as part of Avis Rent A Car’s fleet; the car rental giant ordered 849 H3s from General Motors after the Hummer brand was officially phased out.

GM had actually stopped building H3s earlier this year, but the company restarted production after Avis placed its order. The Shreveport plant also assembles GM’s Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon small pickups.
The automaker hasn’t ruled out production of more Hummer H3s in the future, but a GM spokesman told the Shreveport Times that production has likely ended.

link:
http://www.leftlanen...mmer-built.html

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

The final ever production H3 rolled out of GM's Shreveport, Louisiana factory on Monday May 24, 2010 on its way to an Avis rental car outlet.

How unceremoniously fitting.

A Horse With No Name

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

I wonder if the last Hummer will some day be found and restored...

SAmadei

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:51 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the last real Hummer produced was the H1.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

I wonder if the last Hummer will some day be found and restored...

Maybe...

RjION

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

Peace to Hummer .............. greenpeace.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,483 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the last real Hummer produced was the H1.

And the worst...the H1 was an ugly POS, horribly cramped inside, with the cheap assembly of a kit car.

CanadianBacon94

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

i think the H2 was a bad joke but the H3, if underpowered, was still an ok offroader

dfelt

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

I love my H2 and H3 Alpha. Personally I keep hoping someone in GM will realize that the Hummer DNA needs to go into GMC division and you can have your Luxury Denali editions and your Offroad bad ass Hummer edition. The GMC Hummer edition would compete against Jeep.

RIP to Hummer and may all Greenpeace find a hole in HELL. Not everyone needs the POS Prius family or needs to send their hard earned money over seas.

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

I love my H2 and H3 Alpha. Personally I keep hoping someone in GM will realize that the Hummer DNA needs to go into GMC division and you can have your Luxury Denali editions and your Offroad bad ass Hummer edition. The GMC Hummer edition would compete against Jeep.

RIP to Hummer and may all Greenpeace find a hole in HELL. Not everyone needs the POS Prius family or needs to send their hard earned money over seas.

Camino and I have been stating this for over two years now. We're always happy to welcome more onto our wagon :)

A Horse With No Name

• Members
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

The fact that Wrangler sells well and that 'blu wants one is proof enough that GMC might do well with a hummer-esqe vehicle.

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

On that note, Horse, there's no reason GM couldn't reintroduce this as a GMC (with a more GMC-themed frontend):

Posted Image

Sign me up for one!! :smilewide:

A Horse With No Name

• Members
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

Me too...I've been having Jeep Fever as of late, and I would love that in a GMC!

dfelt

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Keep emailing GM about having a GMC Hummer version, we might just get our wish some day. I was hoping at the auto shows this year that we would see something that could compete with Jeep. RIP to Hummer till your reborn like a Pheonix!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users