• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:26 AM

So with the death of the PT Cruiser, we are left to wonder what could have been. At one point the PT commanded a premium on the sales floor, and was the "must have" car. Daimler's, and subsequently, Cerberus' decisions to let it rot did it no favors.

I've seen the excuse thrown around the media that part of why the PT Cruiser wasn't updated, was because it was difficult to update such a retro and distinctive shape. Yet Mini has managed to do it with their current generation Cooper. The last gen didn't look all that much different, but the details were changed and, more importantly, the stuff that mattered (powertrains, interior, suspension tuning) were improved.

With that in mind, I decided to draw out what an next gen PT Cruiser may have looked like. It's not radically different, but the shape has been updated...more harmony between the character lines, steeper rake to the windshield, sharper greenhouse, side mirrors mounted to the sheet metal, more defined creases. At the same time, I went with more "retro" headlights, quad round units houses individually. I never really cared for the headlights on the current PT...they seemed oddly modern and out of place on such a retro car. I also decided to go with a full length grill...because I prefer the uninterrupted look. In my mind, this new PT would be built on a new platform, either what the Caliber is using or one of Fiat's platforms.

I also did a more modern interior design.

Hope you enjoy!

For reference, here is the photo I used as a reference:

Posted Image

PT Cruiser.jpg

PT Crusier interior.jpg

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,456 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:45 AM

Decent Petie update. Are you using frameless door glass?

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, I like the cleaner look.

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,763 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Nice

CanadianBacon94

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

are the headlights just the circles?(yes im an idiot)

but otherwise
im likin it

Edited by CanadianBacon94, 11 July 2010 - 11:15 PM.

A Horse With No Name

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 13,154 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

I like the interior, it has an almost MINI esque quality to it...

ACcartoons

Stock Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

What do you think to this a friend of mine did?

Dodgefan

`Cuz I'm Awesome

• Admin
  • 23,502 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

I bet he had fun trying to match the old car's lines to the drawing! I like it a lot. It really gives a nice idea what it would look like in the flesh. I'm definitely digging it. The full grill, more upright nose and quad headlights seem like they would translate well into a real car. Same with the sharper greenhouse and better flowing lines. In fact the only important detail that he missed was that in my design the pillars are hidden like in the Camaro or Challenger...but I'm happy someone tried. I really like it! :)

cire

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

That looks cool. It's a shame that Chrysler didn't develop a gen 2 version of the PT Cruiser on the Caliber/Patriot/Compass platform. Using this platform for a gen 2 PT Cruiser would have made more sense than using it to develop the pointless Compass.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,453 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

That looks cool. It's a shame that Chrysler didn't develop a gen 2 version of the PT Cruiser on the Caliber/Patriot/Compass platform. Using this platform for a gen 2 PT Cruiser would have made more sense than using it to develop the pointless Compass.

Who knows, if the Fiat alliance proves successful, maybe a new PT can be developed off a Fiat platform...a Multipla based PT could be interesting.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,031 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

How did I miss thread? Looks great!

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,054 posts