GM to Require Dexosi Oil in 2011 cars

This came to me today. It looks like GM will require new oil in 2011 cars.

Date: 08/06/2010

Subject: dexos1™ Product Launch Program - Customer Care & Aftersales Bulletin CCA10-162

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, HUMMER and Pontiac (including MD)

DESCRIPTION:

Purpose:

The purpose of this bulletin is to advise GM Dealers of GM Customer Care and Aftersales’ (CCA) launch plan for dexos1™ Synthetic Blend oil. It is imperative that every GM Dealer develop a dexos1™ implementation plan and have dexos1™ product available as soon as possible.

Product:

dexos1™ is the required engine oil for all General Motors 2011 Model Year vehicles (Gasoline) and newer. dexos1™ is also compatible with all 2010 and older GM vehicles (Gasoline). dexos1™ is a Synthetic Blend oil and is being offered as an additional product to the current GM Oil Program.

dexos1™ Product Attributes over Conventional Oils:

Ø Improved engine cleanliness

Ø Additional wear protection

Ø Improved aeration control

Ø Improved corrosion protection

Ø Increased fuel economy

Ø Increased sludge control

Availability:

Production of dexos1™ for a Dealer's service needs is currently being focused on 55-gallon drums. Drums are expected to begin being delivered to Dealers in the September/October time frame. Quart size packaged product will be available later in the October/November time frame.

Branding:

dexos1™ products will be offered under the ACDelco Brand. In addition, packaged oil with the Goodwrench brand will be phased out and converted to the ACDelco brand over the coming months.

What is the point of this over something like Mobile 1? Anything?

Which Mobil1 product are you comparing to? This is a synthetic blend, so it's likely that GM is pushing to get better quality oils in the cars, and thus get better longevity from their cars, but without the cost of going full synthetic.

If you're using synthetic blend you may as well just use regular. If you're going to use special oil go full synthetic, and go with a well known and respected brand like Mobil 1. "Dexosi" reminds me of Dexcool, which conjures up images of failing headgaskets.

Which Mobil1 product are you comparing to? This is a synthetic blend, so it's likely that GM is pushing to get better quality oils in the cars, and thus get better longevity from their cars, but without the cost of going full synthetic.

Smart man!!

Going all Syn is not in the card for people that buy cars like the Aveo, Spark or Cruze LS. People buy for economy in these cars and they do not care to pay more for service related items any more than their cars. Often do not even service their cars as they should anyway.

Going Syn Blend is better than not going Syn at all. While it is not a full step up to Mobil One it is a step up just as they have upgraded conventional oils over the years.

In time I expect full syn will become the norm but for now they need to take it in steps and leave the Mobil One to the higher priced cars.

Either way GM will get better engine service and the customer will get a longer service periods.

The dexos1 is just a grade of oil and will be sold under other names that we already know like Mobil, Castrol and Penzoil has already put on the market a dexos1 graded oil.

Dex is just a name GM has used for years and was around a lot longer than Dex Cool. Dextron has been the top grade tranny fluid for years.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Like 1

Smart man!!

Going all Syn is not in the card for people that buy cars like the Aveo, Spark or Cruze LS. People buy for economy in these cars and they do not care to pay more for service related items any more than their cars. Often do not even service their cars as they should anyway.

Going Syn Blend is better than not going Syn at all. While it is not a full step up to Mobil One it is a step up just as they have upgraded conventional oils over the years.

In time I expect full syn will become the norm but for now they need to take it in steps and leave the Mobil One to the higher priced cars.

Either way GM will get better engine service and the customer will get a longer service periods.

The dexos1 is just a grade of oil and will be sold under other names that we already know like Mobil, Castrol and Penzoil has already put on the market a dexos1 graded oil.

Dex is just a name GM has used for years and was around a lot longer than Dex Cool. Dextron has been the top grade tranny fluid for years.

There is really no excuse for not using full synthetic. It's not expensive. There's no need to "leave it to higher priced cars." Also synthetic does not equal longer service intervals as far as periods between oil changes. It's the same as conventional oil. It works better, it doesn't last longer. It protects engine components better, and blends don't do the job like full synthetic does.

Smart man!!

You got it....dexos 2 will be Gm's full synthetic. GM finally caught up with what Ford was doing for years ( Motorcraft syn blend-made by Conoco Phillips, same company that makes Kendall/ Phillips 66/ Tropartic(sp) oil. If I remember right, Mobil will be packaging this oil for GM. Same oil as their 7500 syn blend.

Besides, I already bought some dexos 1 approved oils for my family of Ecotecs....Quaker State Full Synthetic (AD) and Pennzoil Platinum.....All SOPUS products (Shell, Pennzoil,Quaker State) are already approved Dexos 1...as is Mobil 1, of course.

There is really no excuse for not using full synthetic. It's not expensive. There's no need to "leave it to higher priced cars." Also synthetic does not equal longer service intervals as far as periods between oil changes. It's the same as conventional oil. It works better, it doesn't last longer. It protects engine components better, and blends don't do the job like full synthetic does.

Actually, It depends of driving of the customer....

With the driving I do, I really don't need a synthetic, as a blend would do (shorter trips, lower OCI changes)

Oils are much better than they were even 5 years ago.

But with all the extremes here in MI (weather, roads, you name it), I just want the extra protection....

Actually, It depends of driving of the customer....

With the driving I do, I really don't need a synthetic, as a blend would do (shorter trips, lower OCI changes)

Oils are much better than they were even 5 years ago.

But with all the extremes here in MI (weather, roads, you name it), I just want the extra protection....

The amount of driving doesn't matter, it's how the oil protects and lubricates your engine's components that does.

• Like 1

The amount of driving doesn't matter, it's how the oil protects and lubricates your engine's components that does.

All oils do that...synthetic just takes more punishment and better temp protection than dino oils do...

Also depends on how hard an engine is on oil. Ecotecs are pretty easy on oil, while a direct injection engine like in the traverse would be much harder on oil...

All oils do that...synthetic just takes more punishment and better temp protection than dino oils do...

Also depends on how hard an engine is on oil. Ecotecs are pretty easy on oil, while a direct injection engine like in the traverse would be much harder on oil...

Not all oils are created equal. Listen to a 3.5 run on regular oil and then on synthetic. It is very noticeable how much quieter the engine runs, and it greatly diminishes and/or eliminates the cold start rocker tick 3.5s are known for.

Still to this day there are people who will not buy a car that requires premium full. Add a buck or two to the price of their oil they may pass on buy that same car.

There is little logic to it I and I agree the full Syn would be better since I use Syn in all my cars. But that is the reality of many car buyers and what MFG face.

This debate rages with many of the Ecotec owners that have Mobil 1 OE engines. Some get all goofy over the added price of Mobil 1. They argue like hell over the Premium Recomended rating on the fuel.

Syn oils can last longer as they do break down less. Like stated depends on the driving conditions. Like in my Turbo Syns last longer under tha harsher high temps and GM lets the oils go as long as the conventional oils in a non Turbo.

In the not too distant future we will get full syn in all cars. It is better for the engines. GM and Car owners.

I am suprised we have not been attacked by a Amzoil diciple yet, but that is another story. :rolleyes:

Oils are like Religon and Politics. Everyone has a veiw and they are all a little different from each other. Everyone may not always be fully correct but often they have enough that never makes them fully wrong either.

• Agree 1

Not all oils are created equal. Listen to a 3.5 run on regular oil and then on synthetic. It is very noticeable how much quieter the engine runs, and it greatly diminishes and/or eliminates the cold start rocker tick 3.5s are known for.

Yep...called the add pack..neenerneener.gif

Like I said, some engines will like different oils than others (like the 3.5)

All my cars run on synthetic beacuse you can't beat the extra protection for the price. (even better when it is on sale)

• Like 1

Still to this day there are people who will not buy a car that requires premium full. Add a buck or two to the price of their oil they may pass on buy that same car.

There is little logic to it I and I agree the full Syn would be better since I use Syn in all my cars. But that is the reality of many car buyers and what MFG face.

This debate rages with many of the Ecotec owners that have Mobil 1 OE engines. Some get all goofy over the added price of Mobil 1. They argue like hell over the Premium Recomended rating on the fuel.

Syn oils can last longer as they do break down less. Like stated depends on the driving conditions. Like in my Turbo Syns last longer under tha harsher high temps and GM lets the oils go as long as the conventional oils in a non Turbo.

In the not too distant future we will get full syn in all cars. It is better for the engines. GM and Car owners.

I am suprised we have not been attacked by a Amzoil diciple yet, but that is another story. rolleyes.gif

Oils are like Religon and Politics. Everyone has a veiw and they are all a little different from each other. Everyone may not always be fully correct but often they have enough that never makes them fully wrong either.

Amsoil is the best! Everyone should use it! neenerneener.gif (eh, good oil...just overpriced)

Some people are just resistant to change, like those you still do the 3/3k oil changes....

• Haha 1

It's not even the oil that's expensive so much as what the shops try to charge you for it. I know of a shop that will charge you $30 for a basic oil change yet go with M1 and they'll charge you $80 for it, using the same filter. This despite the fact that full synthetic is no more than $10 more than 5 quarts of regular oil.

• Like 1

It's not even the oil that's expensive so much as what the shops try to charge you for it. I know of a shop that will charge you $30 for a basic oil change yet go with M1 and they'll charge you $80 for it, using the same filter. This despite the fact that full synthetic is no more than $10 more than 5 quarts of regular oil.

Lots o' truth in that..

The 292k mile Alero has had regular ol Quaker state in er since 50k miles (sure it wasn't synthetic before that either). Motor still has great power. Change er every 3k-5k miles.

I don't believe in the normal lifespan of daily driver, that gets frequent changes of a quality dino oil & filter, you will ever see a measurable difference (aside from the oddball engine).

A competition car... or if you operate in extreme conditions, is another story.

Motoring to the mall in Ohio; no.

The 292k mile Alero has had regular ol Quaker state in er since 50k miles (sure it wasn't synthetic before that either). Motor still has great power. Change er every 3k-5k miles.

Dad ran Quaker State in his cars until they were junked (by rust)

My wagon had nothing but QS dino in its 3.1 until it was junked in late 2008...body was toast, engine was still fine @ 150k.......

I don't believe in the normal lifespan of daily driver, that gets frequent changes of a quality dino oil & filter, you will ever see a measurable difference (aside from the oddball engine).

A competition car... or if you operate in extreme conditions, is another story.

Motoring to the mall in Ohio; no.

Oh, it gets extreme here in MI...

i know the oil change places charge 7-10 or more bucks for synth blend. full synth is even more.

lots of factories now say 7500 for oil changes. i still do 3000-3500 miles. i clip coupons, or otherwise find cheap or free oil changes, and i just get them done more often. i suppose synth wouldn't hurt. but i like in the winter especially just getting the oil changed at 3000, it cleans it out from all the crap that really accumulates in the cold winter months. I like that option better than running better oil and running it longer.

turbos i would consider upgrading the oil.

i figure my frequent oil changes are partially what has kept me from basically almost never having to add any oil to my cars between changes. My thunderbird burnt a tiny bit of oil after 50k......i probably put 4 quarts in the car the entire 75k miles I drove it. My diamante required a little towards the end.

i guess this is a way for GM to obtain some more durability for a very low price in lieu of more sophisticated manufacturing and materials on the engine itself.

The 3 mile drive to the Ohio mall and back is in most cased worse on oil vs if it was taking laps at Mid Ohio. Never getting oil up to temp is worse than most things you can do to it.

Syn oil just holds up better under most conditions. Cold start up is better with all syn oils.

• 7 years later...