Craigslist find: 1956 GMC Dump Truck

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1922136019.html

I need to find $300 quick - it's super close to where I live - and a place to park this thing (my HOA would kill me for parking this on the street!!). Its not the 100-series pickup I want, but for $300 it could be a cool classic GMC to own.

How difficult would it be to get rid of the dump bed and related equipment? I could see making this a stake-bodied truck.

http://southjersey.c...1922136019.html

I need to find $300 quick - it's super close to where I live - and a place to park this thing (my HOA would kill me for parking this on the street!!). Its not the 100-series pickup I want, but for $300 it could be a cool classic GMC to own.

How difficult would it be to get rid of the dump bed and related equipment? I could see making this a stake-bodied truck.

Shouldn't be too hard. If its like my dumpbody, the sides can be removed, and it could be a stake body dump. Mine is more modern... and the stuff is just bolted to the frame... but it is likely very heavy.

I have investigated removing the dumpbody and installing a roll back... but I fear my chassis is too short.

You might have to hop to get it... $300 is dangerously close to scrap value. It would be a shame if it was scrapped.

Someone will buy that based on parts value alone.

As for the dump bed removal: It will require a torch, and some serious lifting equiptment.

...but the truck would make a great phantom dually!

You and your phantom projects :lol: I agree that someone will end up with it for the profit potential of the usable parts. The main reason I'm considering it is for the selling price; $300 shouldn't be that hard to come up with.

You might have to hop to get it... $300 is dangerously close to scrap value. It would be a shame if it was scrapped.

I agree, I'd hate to see it scrapped. I'm not intertested in owning a classic dump truck, but a stakebody that could be used for parade duty would be cool. I'd still rather have a pickup though, at least it could fit inside my own garage :P

I'm an hour away, but you could store in at my house, Roger, I have room.

Thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on it if (A) I buy the truck, and (B) my initial storage plan doesn't work out. Plan A includes me asking my neighbor if I can store it on his grandparent's blueberry farm about 10 miles away from where we live (he runs the farm). My next issue to tackle is that I don't want the dump body at all and would need to get it removed and than scrapped.

Ultimately, I could see me turning this:

post-418-1283195152054.jpg

post-418-12831964014496.jpg

...into something like this:

2777067700030786630S600x600Q85.jpg

2978360200030786630S600x600Q85.jpg

(with a stakebed)

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

That old money pit looks like it would need a $30k resto or more to make it nice.

Oddly, I like IH Loadstar stake bed and Ford F700 stake bed farm trucks from around 1970. They give me the warm fuzzies..must be part of the idealized memories of childhood in Ohio, or I've been playing too much Farmville. If I had a lot of land or a big barn, I'd like to have one. No idea what I'd use it for, though. :)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

DF, the Fleetwood needed to be my daily driver, whereas something like this GMC would be my "toy" and would be restored over time. The Fleetwood was a great car, but needed someone with the knowledge of mechanics and the resources to make the needed repairs - two things I didn't have to make that car a daily driver for me. It was an emoional purchase that I 'thought' would be a good car for me. I have yet to buy this GMC, as I will be sure to not make the same mistakes I did with the Fleetwood.

That old money pit looks like it would need a $30k resto or more to make it nice.

I don't know if it would need that much to make it nice, but I agree with you that it could be a money pit and I want to make sure I know exactly what I'd be getting myself involved with before making a purchase. The fact that it's $300 is what is motivating me to consider it. I'd much rather have a '55-'57 GMC 100 stepside pickup (or if I hit the lottery, a '55-'57 Suburban Carrier pickup), but can I really pass up this deal if it's not a total basketcase?

I did e-mail the seller, asking for additional information and pictures. We'll see if he sends them, and soon.

Good reasons, just keep in mind that truck will require considerable investment, even more so if you pay someone to do the work. Something to keep in mind when determining your budget for it.

I definitely understand your points. Earlier in the spring I looked at a larger '57 Chevy dump truck that was for sale locally, but it was a total basketcase (not even the emblems on the truck were worth saving). From the tiny two pictures provided in that '56 GMC posting, I can see that on the passenger door, the lower portion looks to be consumed by rust, and the fenders look to have some rust problems too. I can only imagine what else has been consumed by rust, but a lot of those parts are being reproduced right now. My problem would be needing a shop to do that work, as I have no skills in body repair. The ad states that the engine has been worked on and it runs, so that is a good thing. I've been looking for a '55-'57 GMC that is "all there" and in decent shape. This way I could store it to prevent further deterioriation, start buying the parts needed, and work on the truck a little at a time as I can afford. I think this GMC is not the right one for me, but I don't want to pass up on it until I know for sure (at least see it in person).

These trucks are terrifically simple and of so few parts- you'd have to start gold plating pieces to approach $30K. There's no chrome, the front bench is the only soft trim and the rest is just an engine/trans, frame/suspension & the cab.

That restored cab/chassis is a beaut! I love cab/chassis trucks- that's what my '40 is currently.

This is pretty interesting, Roger- if you do end up bringing it up here, I would be willing to help remove the dump body as long as I could scrap it.