NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ransom E. Olds Reincarnated

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,107 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

GM Orion assembly workers to picket UAW over two-tier wage structure
Christina Rogers / The Detroit News

Unhappy hourly workers at General Motors Co.’s Orion assembly plant are planning a demonstration next week at the United Auto Workers international headquarters, Solidary House, to protest a two-tier wage structure that could impose lower wages on some of its current members, The Detroit News has learned.
A bulletin is being circulated by union dissidents among members of Local 5960, asking workers to join them at noon Oct. 16 in front of the Solidarity House on East Jefferson in Detroit.

The bulletin, circulated by UAW activist Wendy Thompson via e-mail, was obtained by The Detroit News this morning.
Local 5960 member Juan Gonzales confirmed plans for a demonstration seeking repeal of the two-tier wage agreement. The bulletin asks participants to bring picket signs and petitions.
Local union officials weren’t immediately available for comment.

The union dissidents are unhappy with a deal struck last week between the union and GM to pay about 40 percent of workers being recalled to the Orion plant half the traditional $28 hourly wage.
The bulletin says UAW President Bob King and the local shop chairman, Mike Dunn, “have forgotten who they work for, let’s help them remember.”
Workers were told Sunday about the two-tier pay scale, an agreement made possible by revisions to the 2007 UAW-GM contract. Those amendments were agreed to last year by their leaders, and ratified by the rank and file.
The revision allowed UAW leaders to negotiate separate labor agreements for GM facilities producing small cars. The Orion plant is the only plant at which GM plans at this time to make small cars - a new compact Buick, and a replacement for the Chevrolet Aveo.

Under the original agreement, a lower wage was to be paid to new hires -- not recalled workers with seniority.
Some local union members say they didn’t have a chance to vote on implementing the specific pact to apply the new pay structure to the Orion plant. That agreement, for the first time, requires some current UAW members to take a pay cut.
The facility is expected to recall about 1,550 hourly and salaried workers when it reopens in summer 2011 after retooling for small cars.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/a...e#ixzz11oM6gPXX

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ransom E. Olds Reincarnated

• Editor/Reporter
  • 15,107 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

GM workers to picket over negotiated wage cuts

Orion Township plant's contract sparks protest plans
By Chrissie Thompson
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Union dissidents will picket outside the UAW’s headquarters on Saturday, Oct. 16, to protest contracts negotiated by UAW leadership that could cut some workers wages unless they transfer.

The protest will start at noon at Solidarity House. A main instigator is the UAW’s announcement this week of a pay plan at General Motors’ plant in Orion Township, which in August will start production of the smallest car built in the U.S. Under the contract, the most senior 60% of workers would receive the UAW’s $28-an-hour wage, while the rest would make about half that. Workers laid off at the top wage who don’t fall in the top 60% by seniority could seek transfers to other GM plants.

The Orion Township contract announcement, which leaders say will help GM build the Chevrolet subcompact profitably, comes about a week after a union at a GM stamping plant in Indianapolis defeated a union contract negotiated with a potential plant buyer that would have cut unskilled workers’ wages almost in half.

Without approval of the contract, the plant is set to close.

Some union members point to Indianapolis and Orion as examples of how top union leaders aren’t protecting their interests. UAW President Bob King says job security is his top priority, but some workers say they are more concerned about protecting their wages and benefits from downward pressure.

“The dominoes are falling all over the UAW,” said Ron Lare, a retired Ford autoworker and former member of UAW Local 600 in Dearborn, who helped organize the protest.

UAW leaders that negotiated the Orion contract “have forgotten who they work for,” says a flyer advertising the event. “Let’s help them remember.”

UAW President Bob King told the Free Press this week the union estimates show all Orion workers who were laid off at the union’s top wage may be able to return to the plant at that level. The union is hoping all 300 eligible workers will take advantage of a retirement incentive, which would allow the other 800 first-tier workers to return at the top wage. About 500 Orion workers were already making the lower wage before they were laid off.

Orion will employ about 1,550 salaried and hourly workers, GM said Thursday. The plant also will build the Buick Verano compact car.

Read more: GM workers to picket over negotiated wage cuts | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com...s#ixzz11oQdi1YQ

67impss

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

The bulletin says UAW President Bob King and the local shop chairman, Mike Dunn, “have forgotten who they work for, let’s help them remember.”

Just like the union line workers how often do they wear a Chevy hat or jacket instead of a UAW article of clothing or just do what their Supervisor asks of them instead of asking for their Comity Man :rolleyes:

ellives

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

Personally I hope they do picket and GM pulls a Walmart and shuts the plant down. I'm so tired of hearing about unions and the lavish pay and pensions they demand. Those days are over people. Hopefully you're happy eating crackers in your pup tent in the woods. It'll be about all you'll be able to afford soon. I know I've bought *my* last GM vehicle or domestic for that matter. There are so many quality options out there now, the big 3 have really become irrelevant.

2QuickZ's

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

I know I've bought *my* last GM vehicle or domestic for that matter.

Is this because they are union or specifically because they are UAW? I'm just curious. Quality wise they are all pretty much even at this point except for a few. For as bad as most people think the UAW is, unions in Japan, Europe and ESPECIALLY Korea are worse (more hard line) than the UAW. The Koreans are always having walkouts and shutdowns over something. If you want non union you pretty much better stick to something made at a U.S. transplant. I probably won't buy a GM car for a while either but that's out of protest for getting burned on one, not because they are UAW or government owned. I still root for the home team so I'll probably buy a Ford.

Edited by 2QuickZ's, 08 October 2010 - 06:51 PM.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

Here's a thought: how about GM and the UAW really get on the same page (ha-ha, maybe in hell I guess, but anyway) and just fire whoever shows up to protest to remind folks like whoever wrote that bulletin who they really work for?

Sure, you'll be out so much money hiring replacements, but hell, you could pay the new guys even cheaper than the old guys.

Seems like GM would break even and it also would send a nice message to whoever else feels like acting like an asshole is a good idea because they feel like they are entitled to the world and the first ship ride to a terraformed Mars.

Edited by black-knight, 09 October 2010 - 11:20 PM.

67impss

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:26 AM

Black Knight you did get that Line Workers are pissed at their Union Leaders right?

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

Personally I hope they do picket and GM pulls a Walmart and shuts the plant down. I'm so tired of hearing about unions and the lavish pay and pensions they demand. Those days are over people. Hopefully you're happy eating crackers in your pup tent in the woods. It'll be about all you'll be able to afford soon. I know I've bought *my* last GM vehicle or domestic for that matter. There are so many quality options out there now, the big 3 have really become irrelevant.

With that thought process, enjoy your welcome to the rest of the sheeple. When buying a car, I look at the car itself, not who makes it.

And people fail to see that everyone needs to make a decent living, even blue collar workers. Ever try to raise a family on around 30 grand a year? (14/hr) For people just starting out, 14 bucks an hour is not too bad. For those that have been around a while, not so much. Simple things like being able help send your kids to college will never happen.

But then again, you fail to see the big picture, so I'm just wasting my time.......

But if they cut your pay by 30 percent at your job, might you care then?

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Here's a thought: how about GM and the UAW really get on the same page (ha-ha, maybe in hell I guess, but anyway) and just fire whoever shows up to protest to remind folks like whoever wrote that bulletin who they really work for?

Sure, you'll be out so much money hiring replacements, but hell, you could pay the new guys even cheaper than the old guys.

Seems like GM would break even and it also would send a nice message to whoever else feels like acting like an asshole is a good idea because they feel like they are entitled to the world and the first ship ride to a terraformed Mars.

I see you love worker rights.....

fightingbee

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

And people fail to see that everyone needs to make a decent living, even blue collar workers. Ever try to raise a family on around 30 grand a year?

+1

Instead all these companies just assume the other guy will provide the jobs that actually allow people to buy their stuff.

black-knight

It's Only a Scratch

• Members
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

Black Knight you did get that Line Workers are pissed at their Union Leaders right?

Believe me, the irony of the situation is great but you can't bask in it too long because you realize how much of a chauvinistic, cry-baby attitude the line workers actually have. The UAW obviously agreed to the two-tier wage structure to keep American jobs and yet the line workers fail to understand that, without the UAW agreeing to those conditions, they would be sitting at home on their fat, broke asses.

At least, that's how things appear to be.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

The UAW doesn't have worker's rights on its mind. If it did, it would have enforced quality controls, and measures in order to make sure its people built the best damn vehicles in North America, as well as pressuring GM to match and beat the imports during the seventies and eighties.

But the UAW couldn't see the forest from the trees because all it was concerned about was increasing its member-base, and getting ever more dues for its administration. So now the union is beleaguered, and its employees are being paid peanuts because of its own sins.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,057 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:23 PM

The UAW doesn't have worker's rights on its mind. If it did, it would have enforced quality controls, and measures in order to make sure its people built the best damn vehicles in North America, as well as pressuring GM to match and beat the imports during the seventies and eighties.

But the UAW couldn't see the forest from the trees because all it was concerned about was increasing its member-base, and getting ever more dues for its administration. So now the union is beleaguered, and its employees are being paid peanuts because of its own sins.

The UAW doesn't make cars, GM does. So I fail to see your point.

The UAW is there for the worker...it's up to GM to come up with those controls and measures.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users