Chrysler 200 - Not Teasing Anymore

Drew Dowdell

Chrysler 200 - Not Teasing Anymore

gallery_51_47_15968.png

Over the past month, Chrysler has been relentlessly teasing us with small closeup shots of the coming 200c sedan. Well they're not teasing anymore.

C&G Media Gallery: 2011 Chrysler 200

From the Press Release:

Virtually every system in the sedan is new or upgraded for 2011, giving the Chrysler 200 its own identity and space in the highly competitive mid-size sedan segment. Exterior and sheet metal upgrades include: front and rear fascias and fenders, grille featuring the new Chrysler brand winged badge, hood, rear decklid and exterior mirrors, new projector headlamps and fog lamps, new LED taillamps and a LED center high-mounted stop light.

The Chrysler 200 gets a new powertrain lineup featuring the 2.4-liter I-4 World Gas Engine mated to either a four-speed or six-speed automatic transaxle, or the new 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine mated to a six-speed automatic transaxle; improved ride and handling tuning which includes stiffened body mounts and softer ride rate, improved suspension geometry with a raised roll center, a new rear sway bar, and new tires and an extensively upgraded treatment for the reduction of noise, vibration and harshness including acoustic laminated glass for the windshield and front door windows.

Quality materials abound in the beautifully updated new interior for 2011. Updates include a new instrument panel, bezels and gauge face, upgraded seats with a new design that incorporates more cushion material and revised spring geometry as well as new leather and cloth seating materials, new "soft touch" armrests and dash, and new heating and cooling outlets in the instrument panel with improved design and functionality.

The new 2011 Chrysler 200 provides drivers a beautifully inspired sedan that doesn't compromise safety or practicality and offers the best value in its class. The Chrysler 200 will be built at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Mich. and will arrive in dealerships in the fourth quarter 2010.

Related:

Teaser photos of Chrysler 200

A Million Miles to Mid-Pack. Will the 200 and Avenger be enough?

Just a peek: 2011 Dodge Charger interior photos

Preview: 2011 Chrysler 200

By Nelson Ireson

Editor

October 12th, 2010

When the Chrysler 200C EV made its debut at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show, the automotive world was at once shocked by the attractive design and pessimistic about its then-electric drivetrain. While we don't get the 200C EV shown, we do get one much better looking, if still somewhat Sebring-ish, sedan in the 2011 Chrysler 200. Not to mention a serious upgrade from the previous Sebring.

While the production car loses some of the more intricate bends and curves of the concept, particularly around the front end, it gains a side character fold and otherwise maintains the surprisingly elegant proportions aside from the still-identifiable Sebring greenhouse. LED tail lights, projector headlamps and foglamps, and an entirely new look for the front and rear end ensure nobody will mistake the Chrysler 200 for its predecessor.

The best part of the upgrade, however, is under the hood. The 2.4-liter four-cylinder "World Engine" is now the base choice, paired with a choice of four- or six-speed automatics. The star of the engine lineup is the 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine, available only with the six-speed auto, which should deliver around 300 horsepower, making the 2011 200 peppy enough to run with most of the midsize luxury sedan class.

The suspension is also retuned for tauter handling without compromising comfort, including stiffer body mounts, a new rear sway bar, and upgraded tires balanced against softer spring rates. The cabin is also aimed to be a quieter place, with acoustic laminated glass for the windshield and front door windows.

Beyond the sleek bodywork and drivetrain, Chrysler says virtually every system in the sedan is new or upgraded for 2011, a must-do item on the checklist to make the Sebring's replacement a car worth owning. Materials, in particular, were a weak spot for the Sebring, and Chrysler says the new materials include soft-touch arm rests and dash, plus new leather and cloth upholstery. The design is updated too, with a new instrument panel and center stack. Even the seats are revised, with more cusion material and "revised spring geometry" presumably to improve comfort.

The 2011 Chrysler 200 will start production in Michigan soon, with delivery slated for sometime during the fourth quarter of this year.

link:

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1050367_preview-2011-chrysler-200

here is the purpose of this redo.

it takes the look that chrysler wants to establish in the future, and the new model name, out in the dealership now. this means a smoother transition to the next all new car and it introduces the 200 name on the market to get the name recognition on that.

while i admit these new photos don't fix it as much as i originally thought, considering what they had to work with, it's a good job.

look at even what hyundai did with the last gen sonata, they updated the interior the last couple years before the new model, and they established a little of the interior design theme, so when you look at the old and new interiors side by side there is a little consistency.

i want to see the interior.

if this v6 hits close to 300hp and with the 6 speed, this car might be a sleeper stealth machine.

kizashi and sebring / 200 are about the same size. a car that size with close 300hp under the hood could come close to hitting 5.5 on a 0-60 sprint. unless it weighs like a pig. even then it will still be a 6 second car.

again i want to see the interior. a new batch of lemonade, seems like it will be ok for a bit.

Edited by regfootball

An improvement, but I doubt this car can be saved. Based on the Durango interior, I don't have high hopes for interior quality here. Ford definitely did a much better job with its refreshes.

Yeah that door panel looks really bland in that one picture. No trim or brightwork.

What a turnaround. I'd like to see more photo from other angles, particularly the profile, and I'm itching to see the interior, from what I can see this is not only a vast improvement over the old car, it actually looks fairly handsome.

They avoid the profile shots because this is just a reskin. A very well done reskin.

if chrysler makes the detailed parts of the car substantially better, and it drives better, it will help the retail sales a little.

nice plastic, padded armrests, fancy stitching, nice steering wheels, expensive looking wheels, clear expensive looking displays, all that kind of stuff.

another way to pull off a troubled reskin, in addition to the new power train, stuff like option packages being friendly. like heated seats for cheap...etc.

It has the same ugly roofline as the Sebring out back, new taillights, grille and headlights cannot fix the fundamental awkwardness of the car's proportions.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

That's exactly what I am seeing. It is no wonder they are avoiding the profile shots. Just take a look at the current Sebring and you are surely not too far off.

That's exactly what I am seeing. It is no wonder they are avoiding the profile shots. Just take a look at the current Sebring and you are surely not too far off.

Yes..and notice the car in the pics is dark gray or black. Thus in the pics where the C-pillar is visible the black triangle isn't noticable...a silver or white profile would clear show the hideous Sebring midsection. :(

Looks like the same body/greenhouse of the current Sebring, but with an Asian looking front end and some reworked tail lights. Same 4-cylinder as the current car, and a new V6. They might have leapfrogged the Galant, but my I doubt they've topped much of anyone else.

This is at least as substantial a refresh as the Fusion/Milan/MKZ underwent, and we all raved about that one.

I want to see the interior, too. I agree it is interesting we don't see any profile or rear 3/4 shots though.

I want to see the convertible. And I want to see the Avenger, which I feel needed much less attention on the exterior.

This is at least as substantial a refresh as the Fusion/Milan/MKZ underwent, and we all raved about that one.

I want to see the interior, too. I agree it is interesting we don't see any profile or rear 3/4 shots though.

I want to see the convertible. And I want to see the Avenger, which I feel needed much less attention on the exterior.

Right, all it needs to be is a good car in every other aspect even if the profile isn't to everyone's taste. The Accord is no looker but its a good car in every other respect, and look how well it sells.

Chrysler posts new photos of 200 sedan (ex-Sebring)

05:29 PM

Chrysler Group has posted photos of the new 2011 Chrysler 200, redone in an attempt to have a competitive

CAPTIONBy Chrysler

entry in the tough mid-size sedan market. Chrysler gave no on sale date, but said it will arrive at dealers before year-end.

The makeover with a new name of the much-maligned Sebring sedan, says Chrysler, touched "virtually every system" in the car.

The interior is new and its ambiance should be helped by NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) upgrades that include acoustic glass in the windshield and in the front side windows as well. Bells and whistles include projector headlamps and LED rear lighting.

Chrysler says it has given the front-drive 200 improved handling, along with its new global engines: the 2.4-liter four (with four or six-speed automatic) and the Pentastar V-6 (with six-speed auto).

Here's Chrysler's full-pitch:

Craftsmanship, Elegance and Value: The New 2011 Chrysler 200

October 12, 2010 , Auburn Hills, Mich. -- Chrysler Group LLC today released additional photos of the new 2011 Chrysler 200 mid-sized sedan. Offering consumers exceptional craftsmanship inside and out, a refined and spirited driving experience, innovative technology, an abundance of standard safety features and an extraordinary level of standard content, the 2011 Chrysler 200 is an exciting alternative for customers that want style and substance, all at a surprising value.

Virtually every system in the sedan is new or upgraded for 2011, giving the Chrysler 200 its own identity and space in the highly competitive mid-size sedan segment. Exterior and sheet metal upgrades include: front and rear fascias and fenders, grille featuring the new Chrysler brand winged badge, hood, rear decklid and exterior mirrors, new projector headlamps and fog lamps, new LED taillamps and a LED center high-mounted stop light.

The Chrysler 200 gets a new powertrain lineup featuring the 2.4-liter I-4 World Gas Engine mated to either a four-speed or six-speed automatic transaxle, or the new 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine mated to a six-speed automatic transaxle; improved ride and handling tuning which includes stiffened body mounts and softer ride rate, improved suspension geometry with a raised roll center, a new rear sway bar, and new tires and an extensively upgraded treatment for the reduction of noise, vibration and harshness including acoustic laminated glass for the windshield and front door windows.

Quality materials abound in the beautifully updated new interior for 2011. Updates include a new instrument panel, bezels and gauge face, upgraded seats with a new design that incorporates more cushion material and revised spring geometry as well as new leather and cloth seating materials, new "soft touch" armrests and dash, and new heating and cooling outlets in the instrument panel with improved design and functionality.

The new 2011 Chrysler 200 provides drivers a beautifully inspired sedan that doesn't compromise safety or practicality and offers the best value in its class. The Chrysler 200 will be built at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Mich. and will arrive in dealerships in the fourth quarter 2010.

Consumers can visit www.chrysler.com for additional information regarding the new 2011 Chrysler 200 sedan.

LINK:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/10/chrysler-photos-200-sedan-redone-sebring/1

CHRYSLER'S SEBRING-REPLACING 200 SEDAN FULLY REVEALED!

OFFICIAL IMAGESTEASER IMAGES

By Mark Kleis

The end to the Sebring era has arrived, today Chrysler has completely revealed the 200 mid-size sedan for the 2011 model year.

At the time of Chrysler's first announcement that the 200 would replace the Sebring for 2011, we were given just three teaser shots, and then yesterday we came across nine more images.

Now, Chrysler has officially taken the wraps off of their heavily revised mid-cycle refresh that has transformed the fleet-queen Sebring into a much improved sedan aimed at securing consumer's interest. It is clear that the 200 shares the same body and greenhouse as the Sebring, but it is equally clear that Chrysler spent considerable time changing as much as it could without completely reinventing the entire vehicle.

Chrysler says that virtually every system in the sedan is new or upgraded for 2011, in hopes of giving the Chrysler 200 its own identity and space in the highly competitive mid-size sedan segment. Exterior and sheet metal upgrades include: front and rear fascias and fenders, grille featuring the new Chrysler brand winged badge, hood, rear decklid and exterior mirrors, new projector headlamps and fog lamps, new LED taillamps and a LED center high-mounted stop light.

Although largely based on the current Sebring model, Chrysler says the new 200 features “exceptional craftsmanship inside and out, a refined and spirited driving experience, innovative technology, an abundance of standard safety features and an extraordinary level of standard content.”

Underhood, the 200 will come standard with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder, backed by either a four-or six-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler’s new 3.6L V6 will also be on offer – hooked to a six-speed auto – generating 283 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque.

Chrysler says the 200’s driving dynamics are vastly improve, thanks to stiffer body mounts, a softer ride rate, revised suspension geometry, a new rear sway bar and upgraded tires.

The 200 will be produced at Chrysler’s Sterling Heights Assembly Plant and is scheduled to arrive in dealers sometime during the fourth quarter and will arrive in Chrysler dealers before the end of the year.

LINK:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler-200.html

Looks like the same body/greenhouse of the current Sebring, but with an Asian looking front end and some reworked tail lights. Same 4-cylinder as the current car, and a new V6. They might have leapfrogged the Galant, but my I doubt they've topped much of anyone else.

Oh, no, they leapfrogged the ugly Cruze, too. Chrysler did wonders here... it would have been much better with a tweaked roofline.

Yeah, I get it that its was a holdover until Chrysler can build a better car... that the stamping costs a lot to change... but hey... in years past, they were able to change a roofline for a model year... and its not like Chrysler hasn't known that this car's roofline is awful for at least 2 years now. With all the computers, JIT techniques and highly trained engineers, it should have gotten fixed last year.

The Fusion was a competitive car though in 2005-2009, and the refresh really helped it, especially adding the hybrid that beat the Camry.

The Sebring is not even remotely competitive, so that refresh isn't going to make much of a difference. I doubt the 200 is any better than the Altima, Malibu, or Mazda6, and those cars have been out a few years. I'd slot the Fusion a little higher than them the Camry and Accord are sales champs, and the Sonata is rock solid, so the Kia Optima should be solid too. Then there is the Legacy and Passat to factor in. I doubt the 200 is better than any of the cars I listed.

Well; it's definitely much better than before. What we mustn't forget is that this is a stop-gap measure until a completely redesigned C-Evo midsize is ready.

I find the front quite attractive, and even with an awkward profile, the new detailing front and rear should help the overall presentation at least a bit.

Also am I the only one getting a weird Taurus vibe from the front end at that angle?

fd2010taurus41025941m.jpg

i was thinking the exact same thing

chrysler needs to tell us the price of the 200 v6. cheapest (real world prices) midsize/tweener available with a high hp v6?

of course you can buy a new taurus for 24, 25 grand so it would need to be cheaper than that. fusion with v6 is cheap too but the fusions' v6 is not that powerful.

Edited by regfootball

Yes..and notice the car in the pics is dark gray or black. Thus in the pics where the C-pillar is visible the black triangle isn't noticable...a silver or white profile would clear show the hideous Sebring midsection. :(

I was thinking the same thing. Black is the only color for this car because it sort of hides or distracts attention from that hideous C-pillar fakeout. I wish Chrysler could have removed it from the "new" 200. Still, it looks like Chrysler has done an admirable job with what it had to work with. I hope the "new" 200 can keep Chrysler afloat until an all new replacement can be brought to market.

I dunno if Chrysler is attempting to spare the Sebring nameplate or ruin the 200 nameplate. This car is just not going to cut it...the 200 was an awesome concept and I know concepts aren't always realized, but seeing as it was a vehicle that could be built why tarnish the name on a vehicle like this. Maybe it will look better in person but from these angles it just looks boring. It looks like something Hyundai would have put out if they never got a clue.

• 2 weeks later...

i was thinking the exact same thing

chrysler needs to tell us the price of the 200 v6. cheapest (real world prices) midsize/tweener available with a high hp v6?

of course you can buy a new taurus for 24, 25 grand so it would need to be cheaper than that. fusion with v6 is cheap too but the fusions' v6 is not that powerful.

I too had that thought!

Instead of me wasting my time, how about you just open up PS and overlay the two images. You'll find the general layout is the same, but the design is different.

Sorry... even the Alero and Grand Am had more differentiation than that.

DF is right. You are also right, however, because while the two interiors are different, the differentiation was stupid because it goes under the heading of "no one notices because it still looks the same." Like the center stack. Looks the same. Except it isn't, because the Sebring's inlaid clock means the HVAC equipment has to be moved as the vents are further apart. That costs money, but like two people notice it.

Same with the steering wheels. Those are two totally different steering wheels, yet they look the same. Definitely not interchangeable-except-for-the-logo, but can anyone tell? No. It's like one of those stupid "Can you spot all the differences?" sets of photos, except they actually are materially different, but the colors, textures and cheapness is the same so they come off the same.

And that's why Chrysler is utterly stupid--GM took the same damn interior on the lambdas and made minor changes resulting in the Buick looking premium compared to the Saturn/GMC/Chevy. And none of those 3 really get accused as clones either. Yet the interiors are almost identical. Yet Chrysler goes to the trouble to create two completely different interiors yet they both look like the same POS junk. Total waste of money.

Well pointed out, the only thing I would say is that the new interiors look different and look to be high quality.

Still won't be anything half as good as what's coming out of GM...or Hyundai for that matter. Sorry, but Chrysler is so far behind the rest of the industry I don't see them lasting very long. Had I been in charge, they would not have been bailed out...again. Decent history, cool they invented the minivan, but honestly they've been pretty irrelevant since the bad Benz deal. 300 was a flash in the pan, and the rest has been odd at best, and abysmally missing the mark at worst.

Still won't be anything half as good as what's coming out of GM...or Hyundai for that matter. Sorry, but Chrysler is so far behind the rest of the industry I don't see them lasting very long. Had I been in charge, they would not have been bailed out...again. Decent history, cool they invented the minivan, but honestly they've been pretty irrelevant since the bad Benz deal. 300 was a flash in the pan, and the rest has been odd at best, and abysmally missing the mark at worst.

yeah... totally.... except for Jeep.... and the Ram.... and the Journey... and the Challenger... and the Durango

There may be more differentiation in the new product... but you can't tell me there is major differentiation in the old.

I don't expect a lot from the new Avenger/200.... just enough to hold them over for a replacement.

Have to disagree. As an example, the new Journey is more than good enough to compete in class. It was before the refresh even with its flaws. The new one adds a new more powerful V6, better suspension tuning, better NVH and of course new interior.

dg011002jn.jpg

And I don't see how these are objectively 2x better. Or better at all, just different.

09.jpg

2011-Chevrolet-Equinox-SUV-LS-Front-wheel-Drive-Sport-Utility-Interior.png

toyota-rav4-2009-euro-interior-img_10.jpg

yeah... totally.... except for Jeep.... and the Ram.... and the Journey... and the Challenger... and the Durango

There may be more differentiation in the new product... but you can't tell me there is major differentiation in the old.

I don't expect a lot from the new Avenger/200.... just enough to hold them over for a replacement.

Except for what? The Aspen/Durango twins were failures and extremely odd-looking, the Ram became an also-ran in the F-150/Silverado competition, Challenger still looks like an unfinished, undetailed clay model and really isn't setting sales charts afire, Jeep certainly fell from grace by losing the whole "off-road: standard" and getting the homely Compass, and I have yet to see a single Journey in LA, even one with enterprise stickers.

There was no meaningful differentiation with the old product for Chrysler. Look at Ford and the Fusion/Milan (first gen) for the complete converse of what Chrysler did: Ford took one car and used almost EVERYTHING identically on the outside, but made an extra cut here and there and mixed and matched the panels to accommodate differently-shaped head- and tail-lights. THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT and yet bam the two cars didn't look like complete clones. Yet here's Chrysler actually spending money on completely different, non-interchangeable parts for almost everything yet they look the same to the average eye at first glance. That's a major f@#kup.

Have to disagree. As an example, the new Journey is more than good enough to compete in class. It was before the refresh even with its flaws. The new one adds a new more powerful V6, better suspension tuning, better NVH and of course new interior.

Dude I saw plenty of CGIs when the turd Sebring came out making its $h! interior look absolutely luxurious. Don't give me CGIs and ask me to compare them. I'll be at the LAIAS soon enough and truuuuuust me I will let everyone know just how far behind Toyota and Chrysler are with their interiors.