Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

Chevrolet Volt Named Motor Trend 2011 Car of the Year

ChevroletVoltMotorTrendCOYWindTunnel02.jpg

DETROIT – Motor Trend magazine, one of the world's premier automotive authorities, today named the Chevrolet Volt the 2011 Motor Trend Car of the Year.

"We expected a science experiment, but this is a moon shot," Motor Trend editors wrote for the January 2011 issue. "The Volt delivers on the promise of the vehicle concept as originally outlined by GM, combining the smooth, silent, efficient, low-emissions capability of an electric motor with the range and flexibility of an internal combustion engine. It is a fully functional, no-compromise compact automobile that offers consumers real benefits in terms of lower running costs."

Many of those benefits are due to the Volt's groundbreaking propulsion system. As the world's first electric vehicle with extended range capability, the Chevrolet Volt has a total driving range of about 350 miles. For the first 25 to 50 miles, the Volt drives gas- and tailpipe-emissions-free using electricity stored in its 16-kWh lithium-ion battery. When the Volt's battery runs low, a gas powered engine/generator seamlessly operates to extend the driving range more than 300 miles on a full tank.

The Motor Trend Car of the Year award was presented to Tom Stephens, GM vice chairman for Global Product Operations, at the General Motors wind tunnel in Warren, Mich.

Aero dynamics engineers there helped develop an equally revolutionary design: With a drag coefficient of .28, the Volt is also the most aerodynamic sedan in Chevrolet's history. Lowering the drag coefficient increases the vehicle's efficiency, as less energy is used to overcome air pressure. As an example, aerodynamics contributes up to eight miles of electric range, and 40 miles of extended range.

"Chevrolet is truly honored to receive one of the world's most coveted automotive awards," said Stephens. "The Volt team has worked under extraordinary circumstances to produce this breakthrough vehicle."

The full report from Motor Trend appears in the January issue of the magazine (on newsstands in early-December) and online at www.motortrend.com.

General Motors last received the Motor Trend Car of the Year award in 2008, for the Cadillac CTS.

Satty

Smartass Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,496 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

Shouldn't the car actually be available before they bestow an award upon it?

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

Production began today.

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ransom E. Olds Reincarnated

• Editor/Reporter
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

Motor Trend Car of the Year? The 2011 Chevrolet Volt [w/video]
by Jeff Glucker (RSS feed) on Nov 16th 2010 at 9:57AM

Posted Image

Motor Trend loves giving out awards, but its most coveted piece of hardware is undoubtedly its Car of the Year trophy. This year, the golden calipers have been bestowed upon the 2011 Chevrolet Volt.

General Motors' joins a long line of Motor Trend COTY winners that date all the way back to 1949. Last year, the Ford Fusion took home the prize and prior to that, the Nissan GT-R claimed the magazines coveted spot. The Chevrolet Volt is a hard hitter in each of MT's six categories: Advancement in Design, Engineering Excellence, Efficiency, Safety, Value and Performance of Intended Function.

Motor Trend has been a strong champion of the range-extended electric sedan in recent months. The buff book looked past the is-it-just-a-hybrid hoopla and even wrote about how they achieved 127 miles per gallon while putting the car through real world driving conditions. Learn more about why the publication chose the Volt with a video narrated by MT Editor-in-Chief Angus MacKenzie that's located after the jump (warning: auto-play). When you're done checking out the video and the press release, you can learn more about MT's Car of the Year process and finalists here.

link:
http://www.autoblog....rolet-volt-w-v/

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,108 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

Cool!

Satty

Smartass Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,496 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

Production began today.

So its ok for Consumer Reports to declare all new Toyotas to be super-reliable and safe the day they enter production?

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

Given the history of MT COTY, it is not being used as an indicator of future reliability.

A Horse With No Name

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 13,478 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

i wish it was cheaper, I'd own one in a heartbeat....

regfootball

• Members
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

curiously the IPO is hitting about the same time as this announcement.......

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

curiously the IPO is hitting about the same time as this announcement.......

I would say that was somewhat planned?

MT announces the COTY around the same time every year right?

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

I would say that was somewhat planned?

MT announces the COTY around the same time every year right?

GM probably payed MT a premium on the advertising to get the award..isn't that how it usually works?

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

Usually, however I don't feel that the award is undeserved for the Volt.... especially considering the list of other contenders... Only the Hyundai Sonata Turbo would have prevailed over the Volt due to it's awesomeness..... but only the Sonata as a complete lineup was offered as a contender.

I mean really.... it was up against the tC, Avalon, Sienna, MKZ Hybrid, S60, CR-Z, and Jetta, which are just laughable as COTY

The A8, XJ, and 5-series are compelling product in their own right, but not large jumps forward.

To me, the finalists are: Sonata, Fiesta, Optima, Cruze, and Volt.

The rest are just "meh"

pow

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,370 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

GM probably payed MT a premium on the advertising to get the award..isn't that how it usually works?

Yeah. There are Volt banner ads already about MTCOTY.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

The rest are just "meh"

The Sonata was all new for '10, so it wouldn't have been eligible for '11. The one you missed is the most obvious besides the Volt--the Leaf!

The Volt is a worthy winner, though..it's different and potentially a big deal..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar, 16 November 2010 - 04:21 PM.

regfootball

• Members
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

honestly did anyone think the volt was NOT going to get it?

PR depts i am sure coordinated all this stuff. post election, the IPO, the COTY announcement, the mpg announcements for the Cruze Eco and LaCrosse......

There was probably a major conspiracy involved to get all that to time out. Probably something on the level of a Soros sort of operation.......

which is fine. maybe this means GM is figuring out why stupidly it matters more about spin than substance. if GM makes more $$$$$ instead of toyota because of it, i am fine with it.

Usually, however I don't feel that the award is undeserved for the Volt.... especially considering the list of other contenders... Only the Hyundai Sonata Turbo would have prevailed over the Volt due to it's awesomeness..... but only the Sonata as a complete lineup was offered as a contender.

I mean really.... it was up against the tC, Avalon, Sienna, MKZ Hybrid, S60, CR-Z, and Jetta, which are just laughable as COTY

The A8, XJ, and 5-series are compelling product in their own right, but not large jumps forward.

The rest are just "meh"

I recently caught wind that somehow the Hyundai Sonata turbo and Mother Theresa were separated at birth. which explains their ability to solve the world's issues with compassion, humanity, and fuel efficiency.

The Kia Optima is said to connected to the Dali Llama (sp) somehow.....

The Sonata was all new for '10, so it wouldn't have been eligible for '11. The one you missed is the most obvious besides the Volt--the Leaf!

The Volt is a worthy winner, though..it's different and potentially a big deal..

new sonata is an 011.....

Edited by regfootball, 16 November 2010 - 04:31 PM.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

I'm just going by the list published by Motor Trend... and apparently the Sonata was on it.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

new sonata is an 011.....

Really...must have been an early '11 release..seems like it's been around since last year...

According to Wikipedia, the US version of the new Sonata was unveiled at the 2009 LA Auto Show, sales in the U.S. began in early 2010. Thought it was old.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar, 16 November 2010 - 04:40 PM.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,368 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

Really...must have been an early '11 release..seems like it's been around since last year...

I think it hit dealers in February.

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • 28,898 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

This really was a given, MT really weights the COTY in favor of innovation and the breaking of new ground. The Volt simply owns those categories outright. This is perhaps the most legitimate COTY win ever.

Satty

Smartass Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,496 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 05:36 PM

I don't have an issue with the Volt winning, it just seems inappropriate for a car to be anointed anything when it still isn't "real" yet. I guess my real issue is that they cant get one off the lot therefore it isn't necessarily what a buyer would get.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users