Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Interactive Review: 2011 Ford F-350 SD Crew Cab

Drew Dowdell

Interactive Review: 2011 Ford F-350 SD Crew Cab

gallery_51_59_687814.png

Happy Holidays from CheersandGears.com and the Ford F-350 SuperDuty to all of our members .... but especially to member Chris_Doane. For this Interactive Review, we have Chris's favorite pursuit vehicle, a Ford F-Series SuperDuty Crewcab 4x4.

After just having a 2011 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Crew cab, one of the first things that jumped out at me was how much more maneuverable the Ford it. Even though you're sitting up tall, and it's a longer vehicle than the GMC (246 inches v. 240 inches), it can dart in and out of traffic and through parking lots much easier than the GMC. In fact, had Chris been chased by the GMC instead of the Ford, it's likely the driver would have given up much sooner.

However, it's certainly not such a clear cut contest and each vehicle has it's pluses and minuses........ so fire up the yule log, drink some eggnog, sit down with your dog, and send some questions to this blog... about the 2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty.

Media Gallery: 2011 Ford F-350 SD Crewcab 4x4

gallery_51_59_1424855.png

After just having the GMC. The GMC is smoother (by a lot), but the Ford is somehow quieter. There's no mistaking it for anything but a diesel though. While the engine is quieter, that also means that turbo whistle is more noticeable. There was little to no noticeable turbo whine in the GMC.

Another thing that jumps out fairly quick. The 6-speed in the GMC is like butta it's so smooth. The Ford has harsh shifts.

My uncle just bought one of these (ordered it from the factory)... a F350 King Ranch Crew Cab with the Powerstroke, saddle leather and that unique red exterior color in that press photo you posted. He seems to love it although I think the GM HD's are more refined.

After just having the GMC. The GMC is smoother (by a lot), but the Ford is somehow quieter. There's no mistaking it for anything but a diesel though. While the engine is quieter, that also means that turbo whistle is more noticeable. There was little to no noticeable turbo whine in the GMC.

Another thing that jumps out fairly quick. The 6-speed in the GMC is like butta it's so smooth. The Ford has harsh shifts.

GM has a head start on the Duramax engines compared to the Scorpions from Fords. Ford applies a lot of sound deadening to the bigger trucks, which GM does not.

The Ford traction control nanny is a lot less aggressive than the GMC one. You can spin the rears on pavement easily without even trying. The reason I mention this is because I stepped on the gas coming out of a curved on-ramp and the rear end broke loose.... on dry pavement.

The GMC has Stabilitrak. This Ford needs it.

A former coworker in Denver is looking at getting an '11 F350 King Ranch Crew Cab for his next commuter car...currently he and wife have an '05 F350 Crew Cab and an '03 Expedition, both 4x4 diesels.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

maybe they should downsize into an Aveo......er, Sonic.

Nah, they both work in suburban office parks but commute about 30 miles each way to a ranch way out in the sticks..have horses, hockey-playing kids, and hay bales. Need vehicles that weigh at least 3 tons..

The front of the Ford looks cartoony compared to the GMC. The body on the Ford appears dated with this latest front end re-do. I like the seats in the King Ranch Ford, but I always thought the dash looked Playskool on the SD. How do tire sizes and types vary on the Ford and GMC? And Drew, you know you have to do the driveway test. Line that Ford up at exactly the same spot and see if it digs a hole.

The front of the Ford looks cartoony compared to the GMC. The body on the Ford appears dated with this latest front end re-do. I like the seats in the King Ranch Ford, but I always thought the dash looked Playskool on the SD. How do tire sizes and types vary on the Ford and GMC? And Drew, you know you have to do the driveway test. Line that Ford up at exactly the same spot and see if it digs a hole.

Well, the cab and bed still date to the 1999 SD...the greenhouse is unchanged, it looks like. Giant macho truck. The Ram is the best looking of the current monster trucks, IMO.

At the risk of sounding like Balthazar or Camino..... WTF is up with these new fangled turn signals?! I want positive affirmation that the turn signal is indeed on without having to look at the dash. The Ford has the damn turn signals from the Mini-Cooper that return to central position even after they're activated, and you have to push it completely the other way to cancel the signal.

But sometimes, if you tap the turn signal to signal an actual turn and not just passing, you find that you didn't tap it hard enough and you only get three blinks and the turn signal shuts back off automatically. Of course you can't rely on it's position by touch to know what your turn signal is doing... because it always returns to center. So you find yourself looking down for the flashing arrow only to find you're not signaling anything other than that you're an asshole who doesn't know how to use his blinkers.

Ford, sometimes the old saying of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" really should be adhered to.