Design Competition #5 -- Dodge Compact Sedan

Welcome to Design Competition #5!

1218766349292_f.jpg

Now that Chrysler has been joined by Fiat and released from the grip of its previous owners, or "partners," it has been given a nearly all-new line up of fresh vehicles. Almost every single vehicle on any Chrysler or Dodge showroom floor is new in one way or another. However, there is one vehicle that is missing: a compact sedan.

Dodge tried fooling us into buying a compact crossover-type vehicle when they replaced the Neon with the Caliber in 2006. This car was nothing like the Neon and has gone unchanged for far too long. Seeing as though it is aged and was never able to sell like the Neon, it is time for a replacement that goes back to its roots.

Your mission is to create a new compact sedan for Dodge that has best in class styling. This car must sell to the masses and show that Dodge means business, so don't be afraid to be unique and creative in its design. Other designs in this class very widely, from the very sleek Civic to the edgier Cruze, so show us what Dodge should do to replace the bulky Caliber with something new!

You may base your creation on any compact Fiat vehicle or branch out in a new direction. But each entry must comply with the following:

• Four doors (though you may add an extra coupe or wagon sketch to accompany your sedan)
  • Compact proportions
  • Dodge family resemblance

The contest will end at 11:59pm EST on March 1st.

Entries can be in chop or sketch form - artist's choice.

There are TWO prizes for this contest.

The first prize, for the winning design picked by the three judges mentioned below, is:

2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Diecast 1/18

post-51-0-02404600-1296237195.jpg

But on TOP of that, the user who refers the most number of people from OUTSIDE of C&G to compete in this contest, gets the $25 gift card to Amazon.com. You don't have to compete in the design contest itself to compete in the referral part of the contest. So if you're like me and posses artistic skills somewhere in the negative range, you can still compete to win something. If you do refer someone to C&G, make sure when they submit their entry, they put you in the post as the person who referred them.

3686118_64.jpg

amazon-logo.jpg

So have at it and design a replacement for the aging Caliber!

It should also be mentioned that this contest will have three Administrator judges: Oldsmoboi, CSpec, and Northstar.

---------------------------------------------

Some Picture Sources...

-Serious Wheels

-Net Car Show

-See below for directions to access AutoDeadline

---------------------------------------------

Good luck and have fun!

*Instructions for accessing high-resolution images through AutoDeadline:[/b]

Replace the bold, blue section of the following URL with the make/model/etc you're searching for:

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/*query?silverado&Source=all

For example, replacing 'silverado' with 'lesabre' will bring up downloadable hi-res images of the Buick LeSabre.

Copy into your browser and hit enter.

Just trying to think of a reason why the K5 Blazer comp thread was full of worthy entries, and interest from members, and this one sounds like (Plymouth) crickets when I come in.

Prove me wrong with some worthy entries then.

pencil sketches ok? I am not yet privvy to such technological tools.

Or can I just post a picture of a Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with a Dodge grille and wallah

"2012 Dodge Lancer"

Because that's all Dodge really should do.

What is Fiat's compact? No amount of FIAT CURRENCY could make a business case for it?

Edited by regfootball

pencil sketches ok? I am not yet privvy to such technological tools.

Or can I just post a picture of a Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with a Dodge grille and wallah

"2012 Dodge Lancer"

Because that's all Dodge really should do.

What is Fiat's compact? No amount of FIAT CURRENCY could make a business case for it?

I think it's the Bravo. Alfa Romeo is the Giulietta, and I don't even wanna know what the Lancia even looks like. :puke:

And then there's TJ from outta nowhere.. What's up man? Can't wait to see your submission! ;)

Yeah, Fiat has the Punto and Bravo. Bravo is closer in size to the rest of the class (I compared Focus, Civic, and Cruze), but still a bit small. Extend the wheelbase a bit and you're gettin' closer.

Yeah, I'm workin' on a little somethin'-somethin'. :)

Anyway, the Bravo and Guilietta are both Golf-sized, most of the C-segment cars in Europe are about that small. Can't really see that either Fiat or Alfa have anything more Focus/Cruze/Civic-sized, but then I don't really know how big the 159 is. I wanna say it's more Fusion/Malibu sized, but I can't get any real point of reference on its scale.

Yeah, I'm workin' on a little somethin'-somethin'. :)

Anyway, the Bravo and Guilietta are both Golf-sized, most of the C-segment cars in Europe are about that small. Can't really see that either Fiat or Alfa have anything more Focus/Cruze/Civic-sized, but then I don't really know how big the 159 is. I wanna say it's more Fusion/Malibu sized, but I can't get any real point of reference on its scale.

An Alpha 159 is 183 inches in length. A BMW 3-series is 181 inches.

huh. Interesting that the 3er is the same size as a Cruze. I always thought the Bimmer looked bigger than that. So I suppose it's pretty much Cruze-sized; maybe a couple inches longer. Still about a dollar bill shorter than a Malibu.

The proportions of this (Dodge) are killing me. I'm trying to make it Focus/Cruze sized, but I'm so used to doing low, slinky, swoopy, and it doesn't feel like it's translating too well so far.

I tried applying a rakish roofline, sculpted beltline, and my trademark grille, but I ended up drawing a Mazda 3. :facepalm:

Edited by Turbojett

I sawr a report somewhere that Dodge cars will do away with the crosshair grille. At first reading, I think it's a mistake of epic proportions, but I thought I'd throw that in herr.

Why would they do that? They just updated their logo to include it!

Unfortunately it probably won't be reversed. It was a move done by Fiat for multiple reasons but the biggest is this. If Dodge and Dodge trucks now 'Ram' could both stand and on their own feet, this gives Fiat the ability to sell the Dodge or Ram brand more easily in the future. Remember when Dodge was attempting to sell the Viper brand on its own? I don't think anyone jumped from there seats to purchase the brand because there would never be too many takers for a brand thats primarily sold because of the brand that it falls under. Especially in the case of the Viper that sells in very small numbers to for the most part Gearheads with deep pockets. You sell the 'Ram" brand to lets say Kia and Kia now has to slap their name on the brand or come up with a brand name that no one is familiar with and would easily give away the fact that Ram is no longer owned by Chrysler/Fiat, sales would sink like the Titanic, only faster. The Ram truck brand is very valuable and I think it was just Fiats way of creating more assets in the event they could not turn around Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and now Ram they would still have a fall back plan when it comes to making money.

Edited by Gizhost

Okay, got some linework here. I'll color it later.

I apologize for the crummy scan quality, but my scanner bought the farm, and I have to use the archaic 10-15-year old scanners at the public library.

This is the front I was having so much trouble on:

Dart_front.jpg

Yes, I know: "Holy negative camber, Batman!"

Rear takes cues from the '69 Barracuda (design wise, my favorite year just because of those lights):

Dart_Rear.jpg

May tweak it a bit, not entirely satisfied with the proportions here. and most certainly not the wheels. the rear one looks like its about to fall off.

SRT-4 Version.

Dart_SRT-4.jpg

Bottom wording says: 300hp--AWD--5-sp SMG. Front valence inspired somewhat by the Seat Ibiza Bocanegra and the GTR. Yeah, some may find it ugly, but Mopars always "Look like s***, go like stink!"

Edited by Turbojett