2011 Buick Regal Turbo Manual reviews

regfootball

the weight of the car is keeping times down.

i really liked the regal a lot when i drove it (automatics). I have a hard time believing a TSX manual would be more desirable.

One thing i read today though, some rag managed a 0-60 in 5.4 sec for the Legacy GT turbo AWD.

gotta admit, its a lowly subaru.....but a 2 second advantage with AWD to boot...... I'll live with the pedestrian background....

the weight of the car is keeping times down.

i really liked the regal a lot when i drove it (automatics). I have a hard time believing a TSX manual would be more desirable.

One thing i read today though, some rag managed a 0-60 in 5.4 sec for the Legacy GT turbo AWD.

gotta admit, its a lowly subaru.....but a 2 second advantage with AWD to boot...... I'll live with the pedestrian background....

That's fine if you live your life a quarter mile at a time....

I'd like to bet that a.) weather conditions affected the outcome of the review and b.) this was a pre-production car that needed a bug or two plucked out of it.

I was thinking this too. My Eco Turbo is not as good below 40 degrees. The sweet spot is 40-70 degrees. At times it can be 4-8 PSI lower at cooler temps.

Also this car is not the GS. I think because it has a turbo and a 6 speed everyone thinks it is a balls to the ball tuner car. This is not that kind of a car yet and if it was would they be making a GS?

I think GM really needs to make it clear what this car is as even the magazines who should know better take it out of context.

I think with the weight and the small engine they have tuned it for MPG and a little sporting nature but not a Green Hell burner. Now if the GS comes and does not put down some good lap and 0-60 times they may have an issue.

Not Ever BMW 3 and Audi 4 it a drag care either and they are also not cheap.

God, it's like C&G became drag race central all of a sudden. Has everyone moved to the Bonneville Salt Flats recently!? The transmission issues are not OK, and need to be remedied. But are you people seriously caring that much about 0 - 60's? This is a Buick Regal, not a Camaro, or Corvette.

The Regal has a substantially nicer interior than the Subi. 0-60 is that much more important to you?

the legacy GT has pretty nice leather, is more spacious, especially in the back for the kids and the adults. The interior is fine to me, its pretty functional even if its not as stylish as the regal. its not substantially nicer. the GT is lighter and has all wheel drive for winter in addition to being cheaper and 2 seconds faster. sounds from reviews i've read like it handles better than the buick too.

the regal is nice, would love to have one. But you can't just buy a Regal because its a GM. a base turbo manual at around 29 grand would be ok with a couple grand lopped off the sticker.

Edited by regfootball

I was thinking this too. My Eco Turbo is not as good below 40 degrees. The sweet spot is 40-70 degrees. At times it can be 4-8 PSI lower at cooler temps.

Also this car is not the GS. I think because it has a turbo and a 6 speed everyone thinks it is a balls to the ball tuner car. This is not that kind of a car yet and if it was would they be making a GS?

I think GM really needs to make it clear what this car is as even the magazines who should know better take it out of context.

I think with the weight and the small engine they have tuned it for MPG and a little sporting nature but not a Green Hell burner. Now if the GS comes and does not put down some good lap and 0-60 times they may have an issue.

Not Ever BMW 3 and Audi 4 it a drag care either and they are also not cheap.

they basically should not offer a manual non GS then. Make one version of the GS a stripper......

Edited by regfootball

the legacy GT has pretty nice leather, is more spacious, especially in the back for the kids and the adults. The interior is fine to me, its pretty functional even if its not as stylish as the regal. its not substantially nicer. the GT is lighter and has all wheel drive for winter in addition to being cheaper and 2 seconds faster. sounds from reviews i've read like it handles better than the buick too.

the regal is nice, would love to have one. But you can't just buy a Regal because its a GM. a base turbo manual at around 29 grand would be ok with a couple grand lopped off the sticker.

I like the Legacy. I like the Regal more. It's just two of us with no dogs, no kids, and can care less about 0-60 as long as the power is sufficient for daily driving. I have different needs than you. You can't base every vehicle evaluation off your personal family life.

They should make a manual version of just about every car.

Well if you can get more people to buy them and learn how to even drive one they will. No market no manual it is just that simple. What is the total manual cars sold now around 5%-6%?

they basically should not offer a manual non GS then. Make one version of the GS a stripper......

There agin if you can get people to buy a stripped performance car they will build it. Most performance cars today are loaded with options as people want the best the can buy. It is more about image and want vs real performace for most. If there was a real market for a stripped down performance car I am sure there would be a ZR1 offered with out air, radio and power windows. As of now people who really race a ZR1 have to strip them out since they won't make one.

Sorry but real car purist do not dominate the market. People with money that like image do. Sorry I agree with you but that is just the way it is.

I like the Legacy. I like the Regal more. It's just two of us with no dogs, no kids, and can care less about 0-60 as long as the power is sufficient for daily driving. I have different needs than you. You can't base every vehicle evaluation off your personal family life.

just like car and driver and such then shouldn't completely trash everything they test if it doesn't handle and ride like a BMW and give off a luxury aura like a mercedes or audi.

at the end of the day, everyone has different needs. in no way did i trash the regal, but its an extremely valid point to say that there are a gizillion other options, especially as those prices climb skyward.

Just because first you ragged on me for apparently basing a possible preference on just 0-60, and then when i matter fact just stated functional reasons why i thought the legacy might make more purchase sense, then you jump all over my ass for that too. Why, just because the car is not GM?

For Christ sakes I just gave one scenario on how it is possible to not bow at the almight altar of GM. Either approach i go with it and someone jumps on my ass. Christ.

all i was saying is there are multiple factors to determine the salability of any model of car. if the regal is dropping the ball in multiple attributes and is getting schooled in value and performance by lots of other competition surely you understand that not everyone is going to buy a regal manual because it has a nice cabin when everything else is mid pack. if that. apparently.

Edited by regfootball

Few are going to buy a Regal because it has a manual. It's just a way for Buick to gain a smidge of cred.

Anyone who buys a car for more than "it's reliable, beige, and I got a big rebate" buys cars with a more emotional aspect. The Sonata Turbo may be a better vehicle on paper, but the styling is gross. The Subaru has AWD, but the over all look is still G.A.S..

I like the Optima styling and to me that would be the competitor for my dollars against the Regal Turbo. I purposely didn't say which engine Optima... because 0-60 doesn't matter. How it rides, how it drives, and how good the heated seats work (helps with an occasional noise in the front passenger seat I find) and especially how it looks are what matter most to me.

If you like the Legacy... mazel tov! Enjoy and post frequent updates. But saying that Buick is going to fail because the Legacy is a better (in your eyes) car on paper doesn't take into account that other people see differently than you do.

The problem I see is what does the Regal have that makes it worth $35k? With the turbo it still has average speed, and I get that for a lot of people that is enough. But it is also a front drive car that isn't necessarily light weight, so you aren't getting BMW handling. The interior is fairly good, pretty well put together being German, but the seats are a bit hard (again being German). Sitting in the Regal feels like sitting in a better made Fusion or Malibu. It feels premium, but it doesn't feel as luxurious as a Lincoln MKZ or base Lexus or even a Volvo (and I don't find Volvos very luxurious). Then there is the badge, it's a Buick, it isn't exactly street cred on wheels.

So why pay $35k for a Regal, when there is the Passat CC, TSX, MKZ, roomier/faster Maxima, roomier/faster, Sonata 2.0T, Optima 2.0T, A4, Lexus IS, a V6 Lacrosse, even Chrysler 300. Not to mention the slew of slightly used luxury cars that can be had for $35k. I just think unless you have a 3-point star on the hood, you need to have a value proposition to sell cars with how competitive it is, and I don't see the value equation with the Regal.

I just think unless you have a 3-point star on the hood, you need to have a value proposition to sell cars with how competitive it is, and I don't see the value equation with the Regal.

Aren't you the same guy who lambastes Cadillac for being priced too low compared to the German competition?

• Agree 4

The problem I see is what does the Regal have that makes it worth $35k? With the turbo it still has average speed, and I get that for a lot of people that is enough. But it is also a front drive car that isn't necessarily light weight, so you aren't getting BMW handling. The interior is fairly good, pretty well put together being German, but the seats are a bit hard (again being German). Sitting in the Regal feels like sitting in a better made Fusion or Malibu. It feels premium, but it doesn't feel as luxurious as a Lincoln MKZ or base Lexus or even a Volvo (and I don't find Volvos very luxurious). Then there is the badge, it's a Buick, it isn't exactly street cred on wheels.

So why pay $35k for a Regal, when there is the Passat CC, TSX, MKZ, roomier/faster Maxima, roomier/faster, Sonata 2.0T, Optima 2.0T, A4, Lexus IS, a V6 Lacrosse, even Chrysler 300. Not to mention the slew of slightly used luxury cars that can be had for $35k. I just think unless you have a 3-point star on the hood, you need to have a value proposition to sell cars with how competitive it is, and I don't see the value equation with the Regal.

exactly.

the other thing here......all this crap about 'acceleration doesn't matter'. if that is the case then what if the WRX Sti that was say 35-38k only had a 7.4 0-60 time? Oh, acceleration doesn't matter.

exactly.

the other thing here......all this crap about 'acceleration doesn't matter'. if that is the case then what if the WRX Sti that was say 35-38k only had a 7.4 0-60 time? Oh, acceleration doesn't matter.

The WRX Sti is actually aimed at being a performance vehicle.

How is the manual going to jive with the eAssist that's going to spread across the Buick board as a mandatory option?

Or does the manual perish just as Buick gets a tiny bit of "street cred" for offering a manual?

eAssist is only the base engine in the Lacrosse. It will be available in the Regal, but not mandatory.

Few are going to buy a Regal because it has a manual. It's just a way for Buick to gain a smidge of cred.

Anyone who buys a car for more than "it's reliable, beige, and I got a big rebate" buys cars with a more emotional aspect. The Sonata Turbo may be a better vehicle on paper, but the styling is gross. The Subaru has AWD, but the over all look is still G.A.S..

I like the Optima styling and to me that would be the competitor for my dollars against the Regal Turbo. I purposely didn't say which engine Optima... because 0-60 doesn't matter. How it rides, how it drives, and how good the heated seats work (helps with an occasional noise in the front passenger seat I find) and especially how it looks are what matter most to me.

If you like the Legacy... mazel tov! Enjoy and post frequent updates. But saying that Buick is going to fail because the Legacy is a better (in your eyes) car on paper doesn't take into account that other people see differently than you do.

So Buick needs to go to the expense and time to get cred with 5% or less of the market? It is had to even buy a Ferrari or other super car with a true manual.

If Buick was cred they need to build a better car not just a transmission. While the present car is a vast improvment it is a older rebadged Opel that was going to be a Saturn. Buick and GM has just filled part of a large hole in a weak line up with this cars and never did expect to change the entire world market with it. Buick is gaining ground. From this point on they need to work to make models that will be more up to market.

The same with the Cruze while it is a vast improvment it is also a car that was late to market as will be the Malibu. Much of what GM is doing right now with new porduct is just late product as they wither did not have the money to finish it before BK. Many of these cars were slowed, delayed, stopped or were a last min change of plan as the Regal. It is going to take time to change things.

The only sin the Regal has is that it needs a early update or replacment. Since GM is not saying much we have little knowledge of what is to come so we will have to wait and see where they take this past the GS.

Aren't you the same guy who lambastes Cadillac for being priced too low compared to the German competition?

Cadillac is priced too low to truly compete against the Germans, thus their interiors aren't as good, engineering isn't as good etc. You could argue the CTS is the best $40k car (comparing it to MKZ, ES350, TL, etc), but I don't think you can argue a CTS is better than an E-class.

Plus the market will buy a Mercedes just because it is a Mercedes. You are buying image and status when you buy a Mercedes. No one is buying a Buick Regal for image or status, it isn't fast, it isn't super luxurious, I just don't get why this car is $35,000. It seems $6,000 over priced to me.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

>>"Cadillac is priced too low to truly compete against the Germans, thus their interiors aren't as good, engineering isn't as good etc."<<

Same thing musta been true about lexus in 1990; not engineered as well, interiors not as good, etc.

It's still true today.

• Agree 1

>>"Cadillac is priced too low to truly compete against the Germans, thus their interiors aren't as good, engineering isn't as good etc."<<

Same thing musta been true about lexus in 1990; not engineered as well, interiors not as good, etc.

It is still true today. An LS460 is $65,000 and an S-class is 93,000. Lexus for the most part is a dressed up Toyota, with incredible reliability. But is a GS on par with an E-class? Is the GX470 (with 4Runner underpinnings) on par with a Merc GL550? Lexus may have as much sales volume as Mercedes (in the US) but most Lexus sales are $30-40,000 cars.

Wow, Oldsmoboi and said the same thing, I didn't read his post til after I wrote mine.

Edited by smk4565

s-class averages 13 grand off in incentives, so it's closer to $80K not $93K. There's a reason mercedees cannot get sticker on it- it's obviously overpriced.

But the 'cheaper' LS still outsells the s-class (2009: s-class : 11,199 units vs. LS: 18,804 thru Nov '09), yet many feel it's interior & engineering are better than the merse.

Edited by balthazar

eAssist is only the base engine in the Lacrosse. It will be available in the Regal, but not mandatory.

I'm not talking about this year.

Buick to Use e-Assist Across Entire Lineup

SAN FRANCISCO—General Motors Co. is planning to begin making a type of gasoline-electric hybrid technology standard across its future models, in a bid to improve fuel economy and hit rising new miles-per-gallon targets, a top executive said at a conference here.

This is what many were discussing in that thread... that future Buicks will be straddled with the added expense, complexity and weight of e-Assist and its trunk-robbing battery pack.

Now, if opting for the optional manual transmission is one way to opt out of e-Assist, thats a win-win for some people... but offering something briefly after the enthusiasts have long yearned for it, then snapping it away seems more GM's modus operandi for the last few decades.

Don't get me wrong, perhaps GM has a plan to offer e-Assist with a manual... after all, GM has offered cruse control with a manual, which will always seem particular to me... but most likely, either the discussion in that thread is wrong about e-Assist being spread across the future Buick lineup as a standard feature or any manual Regal will be short lived.

If its the latter, I question the value of this cred so late in the game. GM won't bring us a proper Zeta to the public, or drags it feet for half a decade to do so, when most of the car has already passed Fed regs as a G8, but they will push a new drivetrain through Fed regs that will find very few buyers and likely be short lived.

For all the talk about the Regal, I do have to say it's arguably the best-built vehicle made by GM right now. Its door close with a solid thunk, the sheetmetal seems thicker than most, and the interior materials are generally high-quality. The nicely grained, low-sheen leather doesn't seem like typical GM leather. Its build quality puts the CTS to shame, IMO.

Upscale versions of the Regal would just be much more pleasant with GM's excellent 3.6L DI V6 than with any of the turbo fours. Save the turbo fours for the Verano.

I agree.. I'd much rather see the upcoming updated 3.6L DI as the Regal GS with hp/torque around 300 a piece than the GS we're getting with 255/295. I'm not saying it won't move the car nicely, but a V6 has a much nicer sound in my opinion.

considering the ads for buick tout 'sport injected' nowadays I would say the Regal is being aimed as a performance vehicle too.

An upscale vehicle with some sporting pretensions ("sport-injected") doesn't translate to "primarily a performance vehicle."

An upscale vehicle with some sporting pretensions ("sport-injected") doesn't translate to "primarily a performance vehicle."

To market a car at the performance crowd and not be a real performance car is a sin. Buick has walked a fine line on almost over doing it on the Regal before the GS. It is ok to sell it as a Euro sedan as it is one but don't claim it to be a M car before you really have a suitable performance package.

To market a car at the performance crowd and not be a real performance car is a sin. Buick has walked a fine line on almost over doing it on the Regal before the GS. It is ok to sell it as a Euro sedan as it is one but don't claim it to be a M car before you really have a suitable performance package.

I look at it this way...

On one end of the spectrum of people who care about cars and will pay a premium for what they want, you have your drivers who want a solid, comfortable ride and don't care about the performance. The base Regal goes here.

On the other end, you have the ones who value acceleration, handling, braking, etc. Obviously the Regal GS.

The Regal Turbo seems to be marketed in the middle.

Easy to get excited about a 35,000 dollar Regal GS that does 0-60 in like 6.3 seconds.

Possibly, but a Camry V6 does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds and that isn't exciting. The Regal GS is adding 35 hp and lb-ft, that isn't going to get 1.2 seconds off the 0-60 time, and if it has AWD, that is adding weight. Plus the CXL 2.0 turbo is $35k, a GS could be nearing $40k. The Regal isn't necessarily bad, but it is priced at least $5,000 too high. And it is slow for a so called sport sedan.

"Sport" isn't always about doing in a straight line. I could put a 455 in my Toronado and it wouldn't make it a sports coupe.

True, but how great can the handling be on a 3750 lb front driver with 59% of the weight over the front axle. It may handle better than a Fusion or Camry, but it is no 3-series. It won't even handle like a Mustang or Camaro that cost less. So if you aren't getting a great handler, it isn't fast, it isn't as fuel efficient as an Accord or Sonata, it isn't as luxurious as a Lincoln or Lexus, what exactly are you paying $35k for?

True, but how great can the handling be on a 3750 lb front driver with 59% of the weight over the front axle. It may handle better than a Fusion or Camry, but it is no 3-series. It won't even handle like a Mustang or Camaro that cost less. So if you aren't getting a great handler, it isn't fast, it isn't as fuel efficient as an Accord or Sonata, it isn't as luxurious as a Lincoln or Lexus, what exactly are you paying $35k for?

Are you just making up numbers again?