Ram Gets Some New Vans

Ram Gets Some New Vans

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

March 5, 2011

post-10485-0-38643400-1299386640.png

Chrysler is getting ready to enter the commercial van market once more. Their parent company, Fiat will send over the Ducato and Doblo and rebadge them as Ram. Ram president, Fred Diaz said the two vans would be going on sale next year as 2013 models. The Ducato will be competing with the Ford Econoline, Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana, Mercedes Sprinter, and just released Nissan NV while the Doblo will be taking on the Ford Transit Connect. The vehicles will be imported from Europe. Chrysler is now working getting the vans ready for the US market. No word on a engine lineup or whether the Ram versions will get different names.

Source: The Detroit News

Source: PickupTrucks.com

Whoa, funny. Can't wait to see these with crosshair grilles. The little one isn't that bad, seems to compare well with the Transit Connect. I am wondering how the wipers clear the top half of that giant windscreen, like when you are first in line at a light, and it is snowing or pouring... I guess you'll have to wait for the horns behind you.

I don't see why not. Flower delivery shops aren't particularly brand conscious when it comes to their delivery vehicles. Price out the door + Fuel Economy + utility = win for them. Brand name or even looks doesn't really enter into the equation.

Joe The Plumber will still want his Econoline 250.... and that's fine.

"Dodge" Sprinter did pretty well, around here at least. Ram brand will be a good thing for sales, it will mean easy servicing. That Doblo looks like an interesting alternative to the Transit Connect.

Edited by ocnblu

Interesting..the Doblo is also built in Turkey, like the Transit Connect. The Ducato is available in Europe in many bodystyles and wheelbases incl. a neat Crew Cab flatbed pickup. They also have the Scudo, which appears to be a large minivan w/ a commercial van version.

How many flower delivery shops are there, anyway? :scratchchin: It certainly seems the de facto example of a small business w/ a delivery vehicle.

Around me, the Transit Connects seem to all be trade service vehicles as opposed to retail-related. Then again- a lot of them are unlettered.

I looked into the specs of one- at least you have 6.5' behind the seats- not bad. I want to check one out in person- but it'd still never work for me.

My reaction is just that the Ram is such a strong, dynamic product with a strong image... and the doblo just seems the opposite of that.

Ram is primarily a private conveyance, or privately-owned commercial, I still think it should've been left with Dodge marketing-wise,

and a commercial truck division opened for vehicles such as these. IMO- the grouping is an obvious attempt to link these unknowns to

the Ram's earned reputation. I'm not sure that the 'Lamprey approach' does the Ram series any favors. Guess we'll see what the numbers are.

That made be more true with this sort of vehicle, but not entirely so. There is always an advantage to a good look - even in utilitarian things. The Transit Connect is a good example of this, it has an appeal to a broader base because it has an eye-catching design.

There is an emotional factor even in business vehicle purchases (especially small businesses) that ought to be considered.

Three things.

1. Businesses are emotional about one thing: money. If these vans provide a good value, are reliable, and are fuel efficient. They'll sell.

2. You can't swing a dead cat in Europe without hitting a Ducato. They are the European version equivalent to the Econoline. They can do the work that most will ask of them.

3. Ram needs something to replace the Sprinter.... or are you suggesting they simply cede these markets to Ford?

They look fresh, modern and European. Neither really meshes exactly w/ the rugged American image Ram has. As far as styling, the GM full size vans have had an ugly rear end design for the last 15 years, hasn't hurt their sales any..

Three things.

1. Businesses are emotional about one thing: money. If these vans provide a good value, are reliable, and are fuel efficient. They'll sell.

2. You can't swing a dead cat in Europe without hitting a Ducato. They are the European version equivalent to the Econoline. They can do the work that most will ask of them.

3. Ram needs something to replace the Sprinter.... or are you suggesting they simply cede these markets to Ford?

So?

1. Businesses are composed of humans. Humans are emotional (even if the emotional response is an unconcious one). Maybe these will sell, maybe they will not, but the emotional aspect will remain.

2. Europe is no indicator for our market.

3. Of course not, but I hope they reduce the ugly before they release these vans.

I think the first one (Dolbo) would actually look decent if the wheels weren't like 10".

I don't think 95% of the people buying these for utility reasons will care how they look. Plenty of poor looking cars sell in droves. From my experience the Sprinter is much more popular as an airport shuttle service van than anything from Ford or GM, and the Ducato looks like it has the same packaging as the Sprinter with a different front end.

Sprinter's main advantage is its inside height over Ford and GM vans. Its advantage over the big Fiat is in appearance - the Sprinter looks more buttoned-down and serious.

I'll grant that this is a small factor, but not that it doesn't exist.

As for the little one, Transit Connect will trounce it.

Three things.

So?

1. Businesses are composed of humans. Humans are emotional (even if the emotional response is an unconcious one). Maybe these will sell, maybe they will not, but the emotional aspect will remain.

3. Of course not, but I hope they reduce the ugly before they release these vans.

1. A plumber/electrician/cable t.v. installer doesn't care about the look of the van. Look at how beat up most of them get (with little to no repairs done) in just a few years of service. All they care about is having a nice flat area to have their name painted on. Fleet managers care even less. You think the vehicle buyer at FedEx is going to care?

2. Europe is an indicator of their capabilities.... or do you think they don't have electricians, plumbers, and small package delivery there? (seriously... get out of the woods a bit more)

3. They won't because it doesn't matter to the target market.

Three things.

So?

1. A plumber/electrician/cable t.v. installer doesn't care about the look of the van. Look at how beat up most of them get (with little to no repairs done) in just a few years of service. All they care about is having a nice flat area to have their name painted on. Fleet managers care even less. You think the vehicle buyer at FedEx is going to care?

2. Europe is an indicator of their capabilities.... or do you think they don't have electricians, plumbers, and small package delivery there? (seriously... get out of the woods a bit more)

1. You are simply mistaken here, contractors do care about how their work trucks look - they take great pride in that. Trust me, I know. Fleet managers are another breed entirely.

2. Again, So? Different markets, different preferences. Sprinter sold based on a distinct interior height advantage, what new thing does this Fiat bring to market?

Europe's use of this van is neither a plus nor minus for its market performance here. Completely irrelevant.

3. Put it next to the Sprinter and ask the question again.

Three things.

So?

1. You are simply mistaken here, contractors do care about how their work trucks look - they take great pride in that. Trust me, I know. Fleet managers are another breed entirely.

2. Again, So? Different markets, different preferences. Sprinter sold based on a distinct interior height advantage, what new thing does this Fiat bring to market?

Europe's use of this van is neither a plus nor minus for its market performance here. Completely irrelevant.

1. I see we need a "find the crappiest looking work van" car-spotters.

2. Sprinter also sold based on ability to have a high(er) fuel economy diesel without having to go to an HD. The Ducato isn't even offered in a gasoline version. I expect it will be diesel here as well. As far as the mid-level contractor market (plumbers, electricians, etc.) you have a really distorted view of Europe. For that target market, there is nothing an Econoline can do that a Ducato cannot.

3. The Sprinter isn't a particularly attractive piece itself. Dodge sold 14,600 Sprinters in 2008. If that's the benchmark they have to hit... the Ducato will be fine.

Three things.

So?

1. I see we need a "find the crappiest looking work van" car-spotters.

2. Sprinter also sold based on ability to have a high(er) fuel economy diesel without having to go to an HD. The Ducato isn't even offered in a gasoline version. I expect it will be diesel here as well. As far as the mid-level contractor market (plumbers, electricians, etc.) you have a really distorted view of Europe. For that target market, there is nothing an Econoline can do that a Ducato cannot.

3. The Sprinter isn't a particularly attractive piece itself. Dodge sold 14,600 Sprinters in 2008. If that's the benchmark they have to hit... the Ducato will be fine.

Look Drew, our positions are not mutually exclusive here - but I will respond point by point just the same.

1. Pointless sarcasm. Of course you can find plenty of spent work vehicles, but that doesn't change the sense of pride contractors have in their trucks and vans. I guarantee the worst of the worst will be the fleet vehicles, and the best the tools of the trade for independent contractors. Small contracting businesses have good reason to care about the appearance of their work vehicles.

2."For that market" - is not in dispute here. I'm simply saying that the van's European sales performance simply doesn't matter when bringing it here. I have no distorted view of Europe, I'm simply saying that this van's ubiquitous presence there tells us nothing about its prospects here.

3. I wouldn't be so sure about that, the Sprinter has already been established in the narrow market you indicate - this new entry strts with a disadvantage.

2."For that market" - is not in dispute here. I'm simply saying that the van's European sales performance simply doesn't matter when bringing it here. I have no distorted view of Europe, I'm simply saying that this van's ubiquitous presence there tells us nothing about its prospects here.

It is an indicator of it's abilities. If the Ducato provides for better fuel economy and/or better ride and/or a good out the door price.... it will sell. It's not just another Econoline... and that's it's advantage.

It is an indicator of it's abilities. If the Ducato provides for better fuel economy and/or better ride and/or a good out the door price.... it will sell. It's not just another Econoline... and that's it's advantage.

Lots of "ifs" in there.

It will be the comparison to Sprinter that will tell the tale.

Three things.

Lol on the dead cat quote...:smilewide:

The little one should do well, the big one-maybe...

Lots of "ifs" in there.

It will be the comparison to Sprinter that will tell the tale.

If it can do any one of them, it will have a leg up on the market.

• The Econoline rides rough. Even an Express is a luxury cruiser compared to the Ford.

• The Econoline's best available fuel economy is about 12 city/17 highway because you can't get the V6 anymore. The Ducato gets up to 32mpg highway in it's most basic form with a diesel and 5-speed. Even if that were to drop to 25mpg with an automatic, that's a BIG difference over the Ford or GM counterparts.

• Base MSRP for the Econoline is $26,055. The cheapest GMC Savanna is $25,600 with the weezy 4.3 V6. You can't even TOUCH a Freightliner Sprinter for less than $35,000.

There is room in the market for the Ducato. Get it in around $27k with the diesel as the base engine and they'll sell every one they can import.

Seriously, it's a box. Even if Fiat were to give it all new sheetmetal for the Ram brand, I'm guessing it won't exactly be the second coming of the 63-67 Corvette. And it's not supposed to be. It's purposed with one job - to haul sh*t. If it can do that quickly, reliably, and cheaply, it'll do well.

• Agree 2

Seriously, it's a box. Even if Fiat were to give it all new sheetmetal for the Ram brand, I'm guessing it won't exactly be the second coming of the 63-67 Corvette. And it's not supposed to be. It's purposed with one job - to haul sh*t. If it can do that quickly, reliably, and cheaply, it'll do well.

Seriously, it's a box.

I will say that both the Ford and GM offerings are beyond long-in-the-tooth, but an update to include diesels could change everything. The Ford is just pure crap too, driving one is serious punishment - it does nothing very well.

Maybe this Fiat will do well - we shall see.

Pretty sure the Ford E-series is or was available w/ a diesel..Power Stroke?

Edit: was. Apparently, the 6.0 Power Stroke was dropped for '11.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Seriously, it's a box.

For some, not for others. I think the problem here is simple... the Sprinter and euro-influenced vans are simply not masculine enough for the American workman. This is a contributing factor in the Astro and Transit Connect's success... they may not be super manly, but have enough machismo for contractors to buy them. In 8 years, have seen few Sprinter contractor vans.

As mentioned, this can be fixed with some well thought out sheetmetal updates... trouble is, more often than not, there will be NO changes when this comes over except for the emblem and possibly the grill.

But there is more to the box than its shape... there is also its construction and motivation. My worry is that the euro-influenced vans will not have the power or capabilities that American workmen expect, which in some cases is on par with the monster payloads that high end pickups have.

I was reading on the Econoline Wiki page that the current E series is dead after 2014... to be replaced with the European Transit... which I find alarming. Few people missed it when the fullsize Dodge van disappeared after being around for 31 years... but the E series is a serious seller still, to the best of my knowledge.

And I can only imagine GM will quickly cancel the Express and bring over some awful Opel because "Thats what everybody else is doing, and they are smarter than we are".

Just another reason why I better be happy with Dad's GMC van... and should paint it "A-Team" colors as soon as I can.

I suppose soon the only thing distinctly American on American roads will be pickup trucks.

I'm not sure what could be more masculine than a vehicle that is no-nonsense, reliable, and allows one to conduct their business efficiently without worrying about any foo-foo exterior design considerations.

Edited by FAPTurbo

I'm thinking that the $35k base price for the Sprinter... a full $10k more than a new base Savanna.. has more to do with the Sprinter's limited adoption rates by contractors than any "perceived manliness issue"

It's also related to the premium branding...since they are now badged as Mercs in the US.

Saw a black Merc Sprinter tall roof panel van with chrome wheels and AMG badging..wishful thinking by an owner, I think..

and Freightliner

Forgot about that version..don't see them very often. Been seeing a lot of the Merc ones lately. VW also has a version of the Sprinter in Europe--the Crafter with a unique nose..

One of the local Merc dealers has 8-10 of them in row, all white.

You are simply mistaken here, contractors do care about how their work trucks look - they take great pride in that. Trust me, I know.

As with any scenario of various degrees, this is generally true.

People are superficial- a beater work truck doesn't instill first impression confidence for too many people (it should be irrelevant, of course).

I can run a list here of contractors who have put a lot into the appearance of their trucks, far beyond the functionality aspect, far beyond what even a sensible budget would allow. This is a very real pride in appearance and a desire to be perceived as professional and successful. A truck you can be proud of & want to take care of is a rolling business card for many guys.

One guy I know has a very successful towing business. He's proud of his trucks; his name is on every one. So what's the business case for an $800K tow truck with scissor doors & one-off 24"s?? Pride.

Contractors go with what they know and what's been proven. Fiat is neither. Any perception there is, is generally negative, not positive.

Smart business is about reducing your exposure to risk. A Fiat truck is a risk, plain & simple, until time-proven otherwise.

Sorry, but the euro experience for fiat holds no water here.

The doblo is wondrously misshapen- it's not geared to this market or it's segment.

For it's sake- I hope Chrysler can reskin it before it's brought to the lots.

Edited by balthazar

This thread is funny. People care about how their trucks look? Has anyone seen an Econoline or Express lately? Not only do they look poor, they drive worse. The Sprinter was no looker either, but at least it drove well. It was just expensive compared to the other dinosaurs and had a weak for the class diesel.

Vans sell based on utility, not looks. Trucks, yeah people have pride in how they look, even business. Vans? No.

Also, there's a market for small vans. I see lots of Transit Connects done up with company logos and, interestingly, much nicer company paintwork than big vans...probably used the money they saved to spend more than $6 on stencil lettering for the side of the van.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

This thread is funny. People care about how their trucks look?

Whats REALLY funny is the same people who claim people don't care how their trucks look are the same ones waiting in line for a certain stylish MP3 player or cell phone.

Has anyone seen an Econoline or Express lately? Not only do they look poor, they drive worse. The Sprinter was no looker either, but at least it drove well. It was just expensive compared to the other dinosaurs and had a weak for the class diesel.

I agree the current E series is somewhat awful looking, but the basic shape is simple and attractive... only the tack-ons are lousy looking. Its not ugly to the bone like the Doblo and Ducato. I fell the Express is decent enough in the looks department... but its no '66 Chevy SportVan.

As for driving... I haven't driven a post '96 GM full size van, but the E series I drove recently drove like every E series I've driven... like a truck... driving a work truck is part of work... its not supposed to be a Cadillac or Porsche.

Vans sell based on utility, not looks. Trucks, yeah people have pride in how they look, even business. Vans? No.

Again, sorry, I have to disagree. I know guys who sold their high-roof vans because they were too "dorky" looking.

Also, there's a market for small vans. I see lots of Transit Connects done up with company logos and, interestingly, much nicer company paintwork than big vans...probably used the money they saved to spend more than $6 on stencil lettering for the side of the van.

No disagreement there. There have been people wanting an updated Astro/Aerostar van for some time. The Transit Connect is successful without being mistaken for a minivan. Even if it has ribbing stolen from a 1996 Pontiac Transport, it looks worlds better than the Doblo.

I meant van not truck. My bad. If I owned a business requiring the use of vans, I would care more about what it can do for my business not how manly I look in it. Price, economy, features, cargo capacity, storage solutions, and which one would suite my needs best.

If you buy a work van because you think it makes you look manly your priorities are backwards.

If there's any image an Express or E-Series conjures up its one of a jackass. Let's face it, most businesses use those vans and most van drivers are second only to taxi cab drivers for being assholes on the road.

Three things.

So?

You clearly have little insight into the experience of a small business owner. Does it fulfill my needs? How much does it cost to operate/maintain? How does it drive? Can I paint an effective advertisement for my business all over it? Can I service it conveniently? Is it reliable? Those are the questions asked by a business, NOT "Can I get it lower, longer and wider?"

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

I meant van not truck. My bad.

Same difference in the context of my reply.

If I owned a business requiring the use of vans, I would care more about what it can do for my business not how manly I look in it. Price, economy, features, cargo capacity, storage solutions, and which one would suite my needs best.

Fantastic. Except there is more to it than your list, and appearance is just one of them. A designer of ANYTHING overlooking that is tragic.

There is also familiarity with the design, expected repair costs, layout, etc.

For example, you can't expect to stack a high roof van to the top... top heavy vehicles are a PITA to drive... are hard to sort through and some cargo cannot be stacked that high. A high roof van is also hard to put ladder racks and such on top of.

If you buy a work van because you think it makes you look manly your priorities are backwards.

I never said that was the primary reason, only a consideration.

That said, the guy with a 800K tricked out tow truck might have his priorities mixed up, but he's still making money hand over fist.

If there's any image an Express or E-Series conjures up its one of a jackass. Let's face it, most businesses use those vans and most van drivers are second only to taxi cab drivers for being assholes on the road.

What does this have to do with anything? Everybody on the road is a jackass... including you and me. When I courteously let someone out of a parking lot into traffic, the guy behind me calls me an asshole.

In NYC, there are plenty of Sprinters, Transit Connects and other oddities driving like jackasses, so I can't say the E series and Express guys stand out any more than anyone else.

Those guys have to earn a living at the client's location, not sitting in traffic behind an asshole who is asleep at a green light reading his text messages. There are enough people out there burning them in traffic because "they don't want to be behind a truck" everyday that I can't blame them for burning others before they get burnt. Welcome to the jungle... don't like it, move to North Dakota.

Getting back on topic... we can put DodgeFan down for 1 Dodge Doblo.

Edited by SAmadei
  • Disagree 2

Three things.

So?

You clearly have little insight into the experience of a small business owner. Does it fulfill my needs? How much does it cost to operate/maintain? How does it drive? Can I paint an effective advertisement for my business all over it? Can I service it conveniently? Is it reliable? Those are the questions asked by a business, NOT "Can I get it lower, longer and wider?"

You clearly know absolutely nothing about contractors - read Balthy's post for a quick primer.

Hauls sh!t around, reliable :

Mitsubishi-Fuso.291.02.jpg

Note American flag on japanese truck. :wacko:

When you have professional pride :

Hawks1stLDPost2005.jpg

Money involved aside; it's still illustrative of the concept.

You KNOW the 2nd truck is going to take real good care of your vehicle.

In other words, the vehicle says something to the consumer.

The concept of a nice work truck is no different than what you see in the real estate business. An agent in an altima is just not going to inspire the same degree of confidence in their ability as one in a 550i. Like I said- it shouldn't be the case, but that's how most people form perceptions- superficially.

Doblo says 'I'm a $8K van from India - keep me away from open flame'. :P

Edited by balthazar

Update: There could be another van coming as well. From PickupTrucks.com

Ram CEO Fred Diaz says the company hasn't ruled out selling a version of the Iveco Daily in North America.

"The Daily is something we're also looking at," Diaz told PickupTrucks.com at the 2011 NTEA Work Truck Show. "It's part of what we're considering. We just have to make the business case for it."

Overseas, the Daily is offered in cargo and passenger vans configurations and chassis cab models. Engine choices include 2.3-liter and 3.0-liter four-cylinder diesels