GM Teases Us With The New Chevrolet Colorado

GM Teases Us With The New Chevrolet Colorado

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

March 7, 2011

post-10485-0-49007400-1299531578.png

Take a close look at this teaser photo GM released of the new Chevrolet Colorado. The truck will make it's official debut in a show guise at the 32nd Bangkok International Motor Show running from March 25 to April 5.

“Trucks play a key role in most Southeast Asian markets. Nowhere is this more evident than in Thailand, where trucks like the Colorado are ingrained in the local lifestyle. Thailand was a natural place to give the public a first glimpse of our all-new Colorado,” said Susan Docherty, vice president, GMIO Sales, Marketing and Aftersales.

It's rumored the US and Canada will be getting a version of this global Colorado, one that will be able to meet emissions and regulations within a couple years.

Related: GM comes to its senses: US to get NG Canyon, Colorado

Press Release is below

Chevrolet Offers Sneak Peek at New Colorado Show Truck

Midsize pickup to make its global debut at Bangkok Motor Show in Thailand

2011-03-07

DETROIT - Chevrolet today offered a sneak peek at its Colorado show truck that will officially be unveiled prior to the 32nd Bangkok International Motor Show, which begins March 25.

The show truck previews the next-generation Colorado midsize pickup truck, which will build on Chevrolet’s strong truck DNA and award-winning heritage.

Thailand was chosen as the site of the global debut because of the popularity of pickup trucks and the growing importance of the Thai market to Chevrolet. In 2010, the pickup truck segment accounted for 43 percent of vehicles sold in Thailand. The new Colorado will go on sale there later this year.

“Trucks play a key role in most Southeast Asian markets,” said Susan Docherty, vice president, GMIO Sales, Marketing and Aftersales. “Nowhere is this more evident than in Thailand, where trucks like the Colorado are ingrained in the local lifestyle. Thailand was a natural place to give the public a first glimpse of our all-new Colorado.”

More information on the truck will be revealed at the global premiere. The public can get its first look at the Chevrolet Colorado show truck at the Bangkok International Motor Show from March 25 to April 5.

I wonder if it will be like the new Ford Ranger--a global model that is not for NA.

Reports are that it has a good shot of coming here a year or so after the Colorado goes away. I do not know if it has been approved but they have really been looking at it.

I think from the spy photos I have seen it is still larger than the S10 truck and still mid sized.

GM has an open market here so it may be worth the chance if they can price it less than the full sized truck. The real issue is once they discount the full size trucks the mid size trucks value shrinks. Why pay as much money and get the smaller truck.

I have been hoping they would shrink the truck to the size of the S10 or old Ranger. I think they could price this well and attract people that really don't want the larger trucks.

If gas prices ever remain high who ever owns this class will win big since it has so few players.

A Silverado 1500 4x2 regular cab that isn't a stripped out Work Truck bases at $27,9.... for the V6.

A Ford F-150 4x2 regular cab that isn't a stripped out work truck bases at $26,5 for an admittedly much better V6

A Ram 1500.... well you get the picture... is $26k but has a 4.7 liter V8.

Even after discounts, there is room under those trucks for a mid-size pickup starting at $17,7k like the Colorado does today.

Very nice teaser photo. The front end isn't very trucky, maybe it will be changed a bit for US consumption, as was the current GMT355. I thought we had to wait much longer to see the real thing, end of March isn't too bad. Interested in seeing which gas engines are under the hood.

A Silverado 1500 4x2 regular cab that isn't a stripped out Work Truck bases at $27,9.... for the V6.

A Ford F-150 4x2 regular cab that isn't a stripped out work truck bases at $26,5 for an admittedly much better V6

Even after discounts, there is room under those trucks for a mid-size pickup starting at $17,7k like the Colorado does today.

I'll take the Ram..

FWIW

Ram Trademan - 5.7-liter V8 with 390 horsepower and 370 pound-feet of torque / five-speed automatic transmission. Starting at $22,780

But I agree there is room for good compact trucks. Problem is most aren't good and aren't cheap either, as they end up running into full size pricing.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110215/CARNEWS/110219907

Incorrect. You can get a Ram at $23k with the Hemi. But I fully understand where you're going with your case, and I agree. :)

FWIW

Ram Trademan - 5.7-liter V8 with 390 horsepower and 370 pound-feet of torque / five-speed automatic transmission. Starting at $22,780

But I agree there is room for good compact trucks. Problem is most aren't good and aren't cheap either, as they end up running into full size pricing.

As they should.... but a standard cab 4x2 full size isn't going to be the same kind of truck that a crew cab 4x4 with leather, heated seats, roof etc mid-size is going to be for the same price.

Then there is the real price you pay.

My father inlaws 2009 1500 Silverodo LT2 extended cab with the trailering package [i think he even has the 6.0 engine] is a good case example. The Truck stickered at $33K With discounts rebated and hard nose negotiations he got the price to $21K. They then gave him $4K for a very worn out 2001 Silverodo to bring the truck down to $17K including tax.

Need a large truck or not it is hard to spend that much or more on a Colorado when you can get a Chevy full size truck for that kind of a price in the fall Chevy truck sale.

I had considered buying one too but I just don't need a truck that large all the time and if I do I take his. The bottom line is the Silverodo can be bought at very low prices and is one of the best bargins out there. It makes it hard to sell a small truck that is nearly the same price. In the case of the Colorado it was no choice as it was not anywhere near the quality truck as the present full size truck.

Guys I work with are the same and have gotten similar deals on the full size trucks and just can not pass up the low price for a well optioned full size V8 truck.

I like what I see. A small truck's gotta have a decent MPG advantage over the full size as well as the price advantage. Enough of one advantage means less need for the other - you could price the small truck about the same as a full size if it had a big enough MPG advantage, just like a big enough price advantage will mean less need for a MPG advantage. Of course, how capable it is as a truck plays into things too.

I thought the rumor I heard was that it was going to be smaller than the current truck, close to the old s10 size. Less frills, and a cheaper price to boot.

Two four bangers (one turbo'd/DI) and a diesel......if I remember right

I'm guessing the big reason it's here is that GM plans to scoop up the causal truck buyer who doesn't want a car.

If it ends up a bit like the S10 (I miss mine), then I'll grab one of these.

FWIW

As they should.... but a standard cab 4x2 full size isn't going to be the same kind of truck that a crew cab 4x4 with leather, heated seats, roof etc mid-size is going to be for the same price.

That's fine, but consider the Dakota:

Ram 1500

msrp* starting at $20,810

Dakota

msrp* starting at $23,110

Dakota Laramie

Starting at $33,535

Dodge Ram Sport

Starting at $32,355

but with intensives: $30,740

and if I'm reading the incentives correctly, a Laramie can be had for $36,880

I like what I see. A small truck's gotta have a decent MPG advantage over the full size as well as the price advantage. Enough of one advantage means less need for the other - you could price the small truck about the same as a full size if it had a big enough MPG advantage, just like a big enough price advantage will mean less need for a MPG advantage. Of course, how capable it is as a truck plays into things too.

It truly is a balancing act in this class.

I think the Ford Ranger is proof of a good balance od Price MPG and usefulness. Even as out dated as it was it sold in good numbers for years. Imagine if Ford had advanced the truck better.

This class towing is not a factor nor is heavy hauling. Make it so it can haul OSB, 2x4's and a small utillity trailer and you will find the ranger market.

FWIW

That's fine, but consider the Dakota:

Ram 1500

msrp* starting at $20,810

Dakota

msrp* starting at $23,110

Dakota Laramie

Starting at $33,535

Dodge Ram Sport

Starting at $32,355

but with intensives: $30,740

and if I'm reading the incentives correctly, a Laramie can be had for $36,880

Dakota seems to be a different animal since it's the largest of the mid-sizers. I am looking more at the Ranger, Colorado, Tacomoa and Frontier which all start in the $16k - $17k range.

I have a question.. when one is comparing a compact/mid-size truck to a full-size truck, what is the cab configuration one is basing it on? Is it regular cab (small) to regular cab (large)? Is it extended or crew cab (small) to regular cab (large)? Because it always seems to me that the base MSRP of the full-size is for the Regular Cab model, whereas it is almost never stated which cab configuration the small/mid-size is.

2011 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4WD SLE-1 (base MSRP + destination charge): $24,775

2011 GMC Sierra Extended Cab SLE 4WD (base MSRP + destination charge): $33,680

Difference = $8,905 MORE for a full-size

2011 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4WD SLE-1 (base MSRP + destination charge): $28,400

2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab SLE 4WD (base MSRP + destination charge): $36,020

Difference = $7,620 MORE for a full-size

If I were in the market to buy a truck, I would need somnething to haul my family - which means CREW CAB. I would not be able to make-do with a regular cab model! There is no way possible all the negotiating in the world would get you a full-size truck for the same price as an equivalent compact/mid-size truck!! Many truck people I know take into account how many people they may have to transport and shop based off that first, not if they can get a REGULAR CAB model cheaper than the most loaded CREW CAB small/compact model.

For trucks, I am a proponent of BIG BORES, LOW RPMS, LESS VALVES and FEW CYLINDERS. This gives you stump pulling torque along with superior fuel economy, at the expense of some perceived refinement (which isn't a top concern with a truck). Really, forget the 2.4 Ecotec or the 3.6 DOHC V6. Take the 6.2 Pushrod V8, add chop it into 6 and 4 cylinder variants and you'll end up with a line of excellent truck motors. Especially if you load up with state of the art features like Direct Injection, VVT and Cylinder Deactivation:-

• 6.2 Gen V Small Block V8 -- DI, VVT, AFM, 87 Octane -- 420bhp @ 5600 rpm / 420 lb-ft @ 2600 rpm / 6000 rpm Rev-Limit
  • 4.7 Gen V Small Block V6 -- DI, VVT, AFM, Balance Shaft, 87 Octane -- 315bhp @ 5600 rpm / 315 lb-ft @ 2600 rpm / 6000 rpm Rev-Limit
  • 3.1 Gen V Small Block I4 -- DI, VVT, AFM, Dual Balance Shafts, 87 Octane -- 210bhp @ 5600 rpm / 210 lb-ft @ 2600 rpm / 6000 rpm Rev-Limit

I really don't expect this truck to really get anything specail engine wise that is not already offered else where.

I also don't expect a V8 as if it is small enought it does not really needs one. I never understood the V8 in the Colorado as it needed so many other things like a interior much worse. The I5 was good enough as it shamed my old 4.3 in power.

The fact is this is not a pulling truck and will be only light duty so MPG will be more of a factor vs torque. What trailers you see S10's pulled were generally all small boats or trailers. I would have never wanted to pull a car or horse trailer with one.

We have large trucks to do the heavier work and that is what they are there for. When towing I would not want a small truck in front of 5,000 pound of trailer and load.

GM only needs to target the old Ranger and S10 buyers as that is where the money is. They sold a hell of a lot of them and few people make trucks in this class anymore.

Edited by hyperv6

Not wowed by the look - but I'll reserve judgement until better pics show up.

I am ok so far with the look but the cab to bed transition is one part I worry about. How do the two mesh?

But as always it is not good to ever judge any car on spy photos or little half teaser shots.

Looks like the beltline radiuses upward slightly, but the character line that's horizontal goes nicely into the bedrail.

What I'm seeing tho is a tremendous height difference between the beltline & the cowl; you guys see that the peak of the hood at the cowl looks to be @ the top of the sideview mirror?

That's an interesting, and unusual, trait there. I theorize the truck may have an unusually high cowl to give the front end more visual height, and thusly, 'more brawn'. Clamshell hood is not currently common, either.

There may be more thinking in this design than at first glance; we'll see how it pans out in the round.

Here are some of the photos that have been floating around. It should give those who have not seen them what to expect. There will be some changes from market to market.

It does look tall and like they are really trying to give it more of a truck or SUV look vs a car look vs the last gen S10.

http://news.oxerjen.com/2012-chevrolet-colorado-gmi700-rendering/

Here is a photo that has a driver so you can judge the size. I looks to be Colorado sized.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/07/spied-again-nextgen-overseas-chevrolet-colorado.html

Now do not confuse this truck with the Colorado replacment. I am not sure what this is but it looks like a good replacment for the small Ute in South America as it is very small.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2010/07/spied-another-gm-pickup-caught-testing-montana-will-it-come-to-the-us/

Edited by hyperv6

Reports are that it has a good shot of coming here a year or so after the Colorado goes away. I do not know if it has been approved but they have really been looking at it.

It has.

It does look tall and like they are really trying to give it more of a truck or SUV look vs a car look vs the last gen S10.

http://news.oxerjen.com/2012-chevrolet-colorado-gmi700-rendering/

Here is a photo that has a driver so you can judge the size. I looks to be Colorado sized.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/07/spied-again-nextgen-overseas-chevrolet-colorado.html

Now do not confuse this truck with the Colorado replacment. I am not sure what this is but it looks like a good replacment for the small Ute in South America as it is very small.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2010/07/spied-another-gm-pickup-caught-testing-montana-will-it-come-to-the-us/

The middle pic is not the same truck as in the teaser photo

Yes it is.

It's the bottom photo that isn't relevant. The Montana is on a totally different platform than the Global Colorado.

Looks just as bland and 'blob-tacular' as the Silverado...

I'll hold my breath for a more PROFESSIONAL GRADE offering.

I too am hoping they do more than just a grill change on this one like they did ont the Full Size GMC. Just please no oversized cheap plastic grills.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a GMNA-specific front end. They're already doing it for the current Colorado.

US version:

rear-side.jpg

Thai version:

2009-chevrolet-colorado-minor-change.jpg

I too am hoping they do more than just a grill change on this one like they did ont the Full Size GMC. Just please no oversized cheap plastic grills.

GMC has a lot of potential that has yet to be realized IMO.

What's interesting though is that I really like the Sierra, but hate the Silverado. In fact, if I were buying a truck right now, the Sierra Denali would be my first choice.

• Agree 1

What vehicle today doesn't use a stock OEM plastic grille? Pretty much everything on the market under $75k comes with a plastic grille (I'm just making that up, just in case someone says that the XYZ Supercar priced at $100k comes with a metal or some other type of non-plastic grille :P )

I see a lot of Equinox/Traverse in the Chevy Colorado replacement truck, which is fine because it meshes well as a "family". On that note, let's hope that the GMC version (I'm hoping for the revival of "Sonoma" over the re-use of "Canyon" btw) takes after the Terrain and Sierra HD (and the Sierra HD All Terrain Concept) for its boxier, professional grade style.

What vehicle today doesn't use a stock OEM plastic grille? Pretty much everything on the market under $75k comes with a plastic grille (I'm just making that up, just in case someone says that the XYZ Supercar priced at $100k comes with a metal or some other type of non-plastic grille :P )

I see a lot of Equinox/Traverse in the Chevy Colorado replacement truck, which is fine because it meshes well as a "family". On that note, let's hope that the GMC version (I'm hoping for the revival of "Sonoma" over the re-use of "Canyon" btw) takes after the Terrain and Sierra HD (and the Sierra HD All Terrain Concept) for its boxier, professional grade style.

As a service to SMK, I walked around the NYC auto show last year and poked my finger in the grill of every high end are I could. There wasn't a car under $150k that had a metal grill. My bet is that Rolls my be the lone marque with that spec (Rolls wouldn't let me poke their grill)

This came about because SMK was complaining about the "cheap plastic grill" on the CTS-V while gushing about the look of whatever Jaguar he was humping that week..... yeah, the Jaguar has the same chrome plastic you can get in an Ertl kit.

As a service to SMK, I walked around the NYC auto show last year and poked my finger in the grill of every high end are I could. There wasn't a car under $150k that had a metal grill. My bet is that Rolls my be the lone marque with that spec (Rolls wouldn't let me poke their grill)

This came about because SMK was complaining about the "cheap plastic grill" on the CTS-V while gushing about the look of whatever Jaguar he was humping that week..... yeah, the Jaguar has the same chrome plastic you can get in an Ertl kit.

Well, I wasn't too far off with my guess-timate! :lol:

Yes, I agree with those that feel the front end is too soft. It still has a metal rear bumper, it needs a metal front bumper separate from the body, and it needs more attitude above the bumper. No, before you pile on me, I do not want an exact replica of the '04-'12 Colorado, but it would be nice if it didn't remind some of us of a miniature atomic guppy, AKA Tundra, with those chubby cheeks and high-set headlights.

In this new day of strict globalization though, I am not certain we'll get our own, more truck-like front clip. I need to wait to see it in a media gallery from the Thai show before I panic, however.

I still wish they had put the Canyon AT4 into production. I liked it a lot.

2012-gmc-canyon-1.jpg

Not only does it differentiate it more from the Colorado, it looks like someone actually bothered to design the front fascia. I for one prefer the bumper to integrate more closely to the fascia rather than having a massive gap and looking like poor build quality.