SPIED: 2012 GMC Terrain Denali

42 replies to this topic

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,234 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

SPIED: '12 GMC Terrain Denali - NO Camo!

w_TerrainDenali_CD_mar11_priddy7.png

It looks like GM was hoping to hide this 2012 Terrain Denali in plain view today, roaming around Detroit with NO camouflage at all! Once the engineer behind the wheels saw our camera, however, he made a quick get-away!

Up front, it's very easy to see the Denali-style grille. Though we're pretty sure that grille will be chrome once this vehicle starts production. In back, we can see a new square, chrome exhaust tip.

Along the rocker panels, we can see exposed fastener holes where we assume some Denali-specific trim will eventually be installed. Bright finish, Denali wheels should also on the list.

Photo Credit: Chris Doane/Brenda Priddy & Company

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,381 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

It looks like GM was hoping to hide this 2012 Terrain Denali in plain view today, roaming around Detroit with NO camouflage at all! Once the engineer behind the wheels saw our camera, however, he made a quick get-away!

Up front, it's very easy to see the Denali-style grille. Though we're pretty sure that grille will be chrome once this vehicle starts production. In back, we can see a new square, chrome exhaust tip.

Along the rocker panels, we can see exposed fastener holes where we assume some Denali-specific trim will eventually be installed. Bright finish, Denali wheels should also on the list.

I knew it would happen! Consumers have been calling for one since the Terrain hit the dealer's lots. Now GMC will push it out to keep the Terrain line fresh. I just hope it doesn't look silly... I'd prefer GMC to put out an All-Terrain model, a'la Jeep Patriot, since the Terrain Denali can't sit much lower to the ground than the regular model already does.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

Nice!

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

What are the indentations in the rocker panel area?

Chris, where did you shoot it? 17, 18 mile area? That Walgreens looks awfully familiar.

Chris_Doane

Denali Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

Attachment points.

Chris, where did you shoot it? 17, 18 mile area? That Walgreens looks awfully familiar.

I forget. 8) Though I imagine many of the Walgreens in the nation look like that.

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,567 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

I knew it would happen! Consumers have been calling for one since the Terrain hit the dealer's lots. Now GMC will push it out to keep the Terrain line fresh. I just hope it doesn't look silly... I'd prefer GMC to put out an All-Terrain model, a'la Jeep Patriot, since the Terrain Denali can't sit much lower to the ground than the regular model already does.

I don't know if making a GMC like Patriot is all that good of an idea. These are not really off road vehicles and to make them into one is not going to give you are very good off road vehicle. Even the Jeep Magazine has voted the Patriot and Compass as two of the all time 10 worst Jeeps ever and there are may that could make the list.

The Denali thing is getting a little over done. It is like Olds naming every car Cutlass. You can over do a good thing. The whole thing with the Denali concept is to juice up the car with more trim and make more profit. As long as GMC keep making more money I suspect every version will get a Denali trim. I just wish they would come up with a different name for each top level model. Name each one for a different mountain. God made a lot of them and some have some really good names.

Croc

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,557 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

Like it, don't love it.

Satty

Smartass Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,496 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:12 PM

The Terrain has really grown on me, I think its the best looking small SUV out there and it doesn't look like the Denali trim is going to be short-gaudy like the Acadia.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

The Denali thing is getting a little over done. It is like Olds naming every car Cutlass. You can over do a good thing. The whole thing with the Denali concept is to juice up the car with more trim and make more profit. As long as GMC keep making more money I suspect every version will get a Denali trim. I just wish they would come up with a different name for each top level model. Name each one for a different mountain. God made a lot of them and some have some really good names.

This is a really excellent idea. Make it more like mercedees: AMG, BMG, CMG, DMG, EMG, FMG, HMG, etc. or like BMW does with it's top trim level: M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T. Great idea that really creates a strong association thru 'mixing it up' with a different name for each different model. I like it.
I'll go you one better. Why not make the model nameplates interchangable with 'snap-in' tags. Say you like the Sierra truck but hate the greeny association with the Sierra club. Boom! Swap on a "Terrain" or "Savana" nameplate and make it your own! Who says only the manufacturer can dictate what a model is called. Power to the people!! :metal: :cheers: :alcoholic: :puke: :wacko:

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,565 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

This should be cool. But a Terrain SLT tops out at like $38k now... will this be a $40k, 4 cylinder CUV? Ballsy.

Yes... the Terrain is the best looking mini CUV out there. I hope this package doesn't cross any lines of good taste like the Acadia Denali did *shiver*.

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

Attachment points.

I forget. 8) Though I imagine many of the Walgreens in the nation look like that.

True, but my dear Watson, there is a small detail I saw tells me where it is.

Chris_Doane

Denali Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hah, OK...but no, it was not taken in the spot you mentioned.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,565 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

I would think a lad in Mr Doane's vocation would want to remain locationless, lest a sinister F-250 find him and run him down.

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hah, OK...but no, it was not taken in the spot you mentioned.

Yes I am off.

caddycruiser

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

Unlike the Acadia (which really doesn't need anything more than the DI 3.6L, and there is nothing else possible to use now anyway), I too wonder if they'll do anything powertrain related with this one. It would be one item of differentiation that could be valid, using the DI 3.6L also...as going into the SRX for 2012.

But even that doesn't matter. The Denali line has street cred like no other, and GMC buyers clamor for the monochrome look, extra chrome, and ritzied up leather and trim inside. The Terrain will do well with it. On that note, most still prefer the DI 2.4L anyway, and for mileage ratings, that could be the option best of both worlds for many.

The Terrain is a great package, all around. Mom seems to love hers, even having replaced a Camaro.

Denali it up. People will buy. It's a GMC necessity.

Edited by caddycruiser, 23 March 2011 - 09:28 PM.

SAmadei

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

Yes... the Terrain is the best looking mini CUV out there.

Have to disagree with that. After seeing many of them, its probably the ugliest, more ungraceful thing GM has ever designed. Sure, its got machismo, but like a ugly dumptruck. When I saw that the ugly fender bulges actually cut INTO the quarters, I wanted to cry. Looks for looks, I'd rather have an Aztek. I don't think this GMC "look" will age well.

No need to rebut, I realize most of you guys are gaga over these. Unfortunately, not all of us are.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

^ Agree with SAmadei - haven't cared for the Terrain since Day 1. The fender flare treatment is one, and the 'bumper blocks' outboard of the grille are much larger (on a smaller vehicle) that the '08 Silverado's 'blocks' were/are. Those 2 cues right next to each other make it seem more 'Lego' than anything else I've ever seen. Just doesn't work for me.

FUTURE_OF_GM

The Lewis Black of C&G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

If I were to buy a small SUV thingy, the Terrain would be at the top of the list because it looks macho and NOT normal. I like the fact that it's love it or hate it and I really love the stance.

I'd also probably buy a Terrain Denali.

However, I'm worried that 'Denali' is beginning to be whored out too much. I mean, I remember when Denali meant something MORE than a quasi tacky chrome grille, big wheels and rocker panels (like an upgraded powertrain and better interior)

I just wish GM would be a little more conservative on throwing the name around so much. It's one GM sub-brand that's actually successful. We don't need to ruin things.

If it were up to me; I'm not so sure the Acadia Denali and HD Denali would exist at all. And I'll reserve judgment on the Terrain until I see it, but I'm leaning towards 'no' there as well.

regfootball

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 19,070 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

Denali is cheesy. =Brougham

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:03 AM

GMC should do a Canyon Denali and a Savana Denali also. A Topkick Denali would have been great had they still made it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users