SPIED: 2012 GMC Terrain Denali

SPIED: '12 GMC Terrain Denali - NO Camo!

post-51-0-82967700-1300901727.png

It looks like GM was hoping to hide this 2012 Terrain Denali in plain view today, roaming around Detroit with NO camouflage at all! Once the engineer behind the wheels saw our camera, however, he made a quick get-away!

Up front, it's very easy to see the Denali-style grille. Though we're pretty sure that grille will be chrome once this vehicle starts production. In back, we can see a new square, chrome exhaust tip.

Along the rocker panels, we can see exposed fastener holes where we assume some Denali-specific trim will eventually be installed. Bright finish, Denali wheels should also on the list.

Photo Credit: Chris Doane/Brenda Priddy & Company

It looks like GM was hoping to hide this 2012 Terrain Denali in plain view today, roaming around Detroit with NO camouflage at all! Once the engineer behind the wheels saw our camera, however, he made a quick get-away!

Up front, it's very easy to see the Denali-style grille. Though we're pretty sure that grille will be chrome once this vehicle starts production. In back, we can see a new square, chrome exhaust tip.

Along the rocker panels, we can see exposed fastener holes where we assume some Denali-specific trim will eventually be installed. Bright finish, Denali wheels should also on the list.

I knew it would happen! Consumers have been calling for one since the Terrain hit the dealer's lots. Now GMC will push it out to keep the Terrain line fresh. I just hope it doesn't look silly... I'd prefer GMC to put out an All-Terrain model, a'la Jeep Patriot, since the Terrain Denali can't sit much lower to the ground than the regular model already does.

I knew it would happen! Consumers have been calling for one since the Terrain hit the dealer's lots. Now GMC will push it out to keep the Terrain line fresh. I just hope it doesn't look silly... I'd prefer GMC to put out an All-Terrain model, a'la Jeep Patriot, since the Terrain Denali can't sit much lower to the ground than the regular model already does.

I don't know if making a GMC like Patriot is all that good of an idea. These are not really off road vehicles and to make them into one is not going to give you are very good off road vehicle. Even the Jeep Magazine has voted the Patriot and Compass as two of the all time 10 worst Jeeps ever and there are may that could make the list.

The Denali thing is getting a little over done. It is like Olds naming every car Cutlass. You can over do a good thing. The whole thing with the Denali concept is to juice up the car with more trim and make more profit. As long as GMC keep making more money I suspect every version will get a Denali trim. I just wish they would come up with a different name for each top level model. Name each one for a different mountain. God made a lot of them and some have some really good names.

The Denali thing is getting a little over done. It is like Olds naming every car Cutlass. You can over do a good thing. The whole thing with the Denali concept is to juice up the car with more trim and make more profit. As long as GMC keep making more money I suspect every version will get a Denali trim. I just wish they would come up with a different name for each top level model. Name each one for a different mountain. God made a lot of them and some have some really good names.

This is a really excellent idea. Make it more like mercedees: AMG, BMG, CMG, DMG, EMG, FMG, HMG, etc. or like BMW does with it's top trim level: M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T. Great idea that really creates a strong association thru 'mixing it up' with a different name for each different model. I like it.

I'll go you one better. Why not make the model nameplates interchangable with 'snap-in' tags. Say you like the Sierra truck but hate the greeny association with the Sierra club. Boom! Swap on a "Terrain" or "Savana" nameplate and make it your own! Who says only the manufacturer can dictate what a model is called. Power to the people!! :metal::cheers::alcoholic::puke::wacko:

• Agree 1

This should be cool. But a Terrain SLT tops out at like $38k now... will this be a $40k, 4 cylinder CUV? Ballsy.

Yes... the Terrain is the best looking mini CUV out there. I hope this package doesn't cross any lines of good taste like the Acadia Denali did *shiver*.

What are the indentations in the rocker panel area?

Attachment points.

Chris, where did you shoot it? 17, 18 mile area? That Walgreens looks awfully familiar.

I forget. 8) Though I imagine many of the Walgreens in the nation look like that.

True, but my dear Watson, there is a small detail I saw tells me where it is.

Unlike the Acadia (which really doesn't need anything more than the DI 3.6L, and there is nothing else possible to use now anyway), I too wonder if they'll do anything powertrain related with this one. It would be one item of differentiation that could be valid, using the DI 3.6L also...as going into the SRX for 2012.

But even that doesn't matter. The Denali line has street cred like no other, and GMC buyers clamor for the monochrome look, extra chrome, and ritzied up leather and trim inside. The Terrain will do well with it. On that note, most still prefer the DI 2.4L anyway, and for mileage ratings, that could be the option best of both worlds for many.

The Terrain is a great package, all around. Mom seems to love hers, even having replaced a Camaro.

Denali it up. People will buy. It's a GMC necessity.

Edited by caddycruiser

Yes... the Terrain is the best looking mini CUV out there.

Have to disagree with that. After seeing many of them, its probably the ugliest, more ungraceful thing GM has ever designed. Sure, its got machismo, but like a ugly dumptruck. When I saw that the ugly fender bulges actually cut INTO the quarters, I wanted to cry. Looks for looks, I'd rather have an Aztek. I don't think this GMC "look" will age well.

No need to rebut, I realize most of you guys are gaga over these. Unfortunately, not all of us are.

^ Agree with SAmadei - haven't cared for the Terrain since Day 1. The fender flare treatment is one, and the 'bumper blocks' outboard of the grille are much larger (on a smaller vehicle) that the '08 Silverado's 'blocks' were/are. Those 2 cues right next to each other make it seem more 'Lego' than anything else I've ever seen. Just doesn't work for me.

If I were to buy a small SUV thingy, the Terrain would be at the top of the list because it looks macho and NOT normal. I like the fact that it's love it or hate it and I really love the stance.

I'd also probably buy a Terrain Denali.

However, I'm worried that 'Denali' is beginning to be whored out too much. I mean, I remember when Denali meant something MORE than a quasi tacky chrome grille, big wheels and rocker panels (like an upgraded powertrain and better interior)

I just wish GM would be a little more conservative on throwing the name around so much. It's one GM sub-brand that's actually successful. We don't need to ruin things.

If it were up to me; I'm not so sure the Acadia Denali and HD Denali would exist at all. And I'll reserve judgment on the Terrain until I see it, but I'm leaning towards 'no' there as well.

This is a really excellent idea. Make it more like mercedees: AMG, BMG, CMG, DMG, EMG, FMG, HMG, etc. or like BMW does with it's top trim level: M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T. Great idea that really creates a strong association thru 'mixing it up' with a different name for each different model. I like it.

I'll go you one better. Why not make the model nameplates interchangable with 'snap-in' tags. Say you like the Sierra truck but hate the greeny association with the Sierra club. Boom! Swap on a "Terrain" or "Savana" nameplate and make it your own! Who says only the manufacturer can dictate what a model is called. Power to the people!! :metal::cheers::alcoholic::puke::wacko:

See below as Someone gets it.

Edited by hyperv6

However, I'm worried that 'Denali' is beginning to be whored out too much. I mean, I remember when Denali meant something MORE than a quasi tacky chrome grille, big wheels and rocker panels (like an upgraded powertrain and better interior)

I just wish GM would be a little more conservative on throwing the name around so much. It's one GM sub-brand that's actually successful. We don't need to ruin things.

If it were up to me; I'm not so sure the Acadia Denali and HD Denali would exist at all. And I'll reserve judgment on the Terrain until I see it, but I'm leaning towards 'no' there as well.

This is what my feelings are. It used to mean a Pick up with AWD not a 4x4 with the more powerful engine that you could not get on anything else. Right now it is becoming more a chrome package. It is as wrong as the SS became just a 1990's trim package. If it is just going to be a trim package rename it.

Chevy can get away with LTZ and LT as they realy don't impact a vehicles name as much as a full name like Denali. If you were to use a name with this much impact there really needs to be something there to back it up. Other wise it becomes a Malibu SS.

As for the styling it has warmed to me I still could not buy one just. The grill is too big and the fenders are just too big or square. I just can't decide which it is that just does not work for me. These features are just too big on a vehicle this small. But it has appeal different from the Nox and that is good and GM did a good job in keeping space between them. If everyone loved them both their appeal would be to a smaller group of people and they would be competing more with each other.

Edited by hyperv6

The SS package (after the 1st year at least) became long associated & well-known for performance equipment. IMO, it was indeed over-used on non-performance Chevys in reference to it's association, in an era where there was seldom any performance equipment available. Yet people still plunked down a lotta cash on non-equipment SS packages. Perhaps those consumers had 'let go of the past' like you so frequently preach. ;)

Denali has a much much smaller & shorter perception footprint and it's not based strongly on equipment as much as it is on trim/finish, Sierra Denali aside. Denali is not GMC's SS. Perhaps it could be morphed into that over time to cater to us enthusiasts, but it doesn't currently have to serve that enthusiast perception. They are fantastically successful in the market, aren't they?

The plethora of 'M' badges on clearly non-M BMWs running around proves even 'enthusiast' consumers aren't that concerned with the purity of a marketing ideal as much as they are of the badge itself. BMW must be raking in the licensing fees on those badges...

Edited by balthazar

Agreed with Olds and balthazar. No disrespect intended, but Denali doesn't have 1/10 of the cache/history that SS has. I would equate Denali to the Platinum Cadillacs rather than SS Chevrolets. Remember the Sierra Denali started out as the Sierra C3 before it was added to the Denali stable, which at the time only included the Yukon.

I'd like to know what percentage of Denali owners know where the Denali is.

Because that's relevant. Why not ask how many Monte Carlo owners know where Monte Carlo is?

Monte Carlo was just a name. Denali is an obvious metaphor for that the vehicle trim level is. Perhaps I should alter my question to "...what the Denali is".

But to your point, I'd say a good deal of people knew in the early days what Monte Carlo is, even if they can't exactly pinpoint it on a map. Monte Carlo was much more promenant in popular culture in the '50s~'80s. I have nothing good to say about post-'88 Monte Carlos, so I'd have to assume their owners don't even know THEIR addresses, let alone where Monte Carlo is. ;-) They only know that #3 Dale Sr. drove it to glory.

Agreed with Olds and balthazar. No disrespect intended, but Denali doesn't have 1/10 of the cache/history that SS has. I would equate Denali to the Platinum Cadillacs rather than SS Chevrolets. Remember the Sierra Denali started out as the Sierra C3 before it was added to the Denali stable, which at the time only included the Yukon.

I think it was only C3 for GMC's centennial year though.

I don't think Denali should mean performance, but it should mean something besides 'Here's's a little bit of extra $h! that you can't get on an SLE or SLT.'

• Agree 1

Because that's relevant. Why not ask how many Monte Carlo owners know where Monte Carlo is?

Monte Carlo was just a name. Denali is an obvious metaphor for that the vehicle trim level is. Perhaps I should alter my question to "...what the Denali is".

But to your point, I'd say a good deal of people knew in the early days what Monte Carlo is, even if they can't exactly pinpoint it on a map. Monte Carlo was much more promenant in popular culture in the '50s~'80s. I have nothing good to say about post-'88 Monte Carlos, so I'd have to assume their owners don't even know THEIR addresses, let alone where Monte Carlo is. ;-) They only know that #3 Dale Sr. drove it to glory.

And that's all they need to know because by that point the car had built a reputation of it's own (good or bad)

I could also argue that MC was originally chosen because of it's relevance to luxury, since it was one of the first luxury coupes.

[PUTS MOD HAT ON]...

Please, let's keep the discussion level civil here. No need to berate anyone's opinion nor bash one for their way of thinking. Everyone is entitled to think what they want of the Denali trim and the Terrain. If you don't see eye-to-eye with them, take the higher road and don't post garbage. This is to everyone posting here, no one is being singled out.

Refocus the discussion to the topic.

...[TAKES MOD HAT OFF]

The original Yukon Denali (1999) offered no more perfromance over the standard '99 Yukon 5-door. As Oldsmoboi stated, it was a luxury model to offer something above and beyond anything else in GMC's stable. If you don't know the back story, the Denali was originally designed for Cadillac and Caddy wanted nothing to do with trucks, so GMC took it (hence why the frontend looks nothing like any other GMC of that era). Lincoln was just about to release the Navigator and Cadillac thought it would fail. It didn't and GMC already took the Denali. Cadillac pulled rank and rebadged the grille and wheel center caps and offered the Escalade soon after the Yukon Denali (2000 I believe). It wasn't until the redesigned 2001 GMC Yukon/XL Denali arrived did AWD and a larger engine become part of the package. Luxury met upgraded performance at that point.

I do equate the Denali trim with Chevrolet's SS trim of this past decade. Cobalt SS? Malibu Maxx SS? TrailBlazer SS? Silverado SS? The Silverado was basically Chevrolet's Denali model... AWD, extended cab, leather with all the options, 6.0L V8 engine - JUST LIKE THE SIERRA DENALI!! If it were in the true vein of the SS heritage, why couldn't you get it in RWD, cloth, less options, regular cab, and geared for street performance rather than luxury/performance? Yes, the Denali model is being whored out - as much as a GMC enthusiast I am, I cannot stand the Acadia Denali. When Susan Dogherty held a web chat before the Terrain hit the lots a lot of people asked about the Denali being a possibility and she said "not on the radar". Not every GMC needs a Denali model, because the SLT model offers all the luxury needed - the Denali is just extra BLING on an already loaded vehicle. As for the Sierra HD Denali, it makes sense because a lot of people with money that haul horse trailers, RV trailers, and car haulers that want to flaunt their wealth will purchase these. That's the intended market for the Sierra HD Denali - not the work truck group. If it brings in extra profit, so be it. Would you rather see an Escalade Crew Cab 2500 HD pcikup for this market instead? Don't laugh, I'm sure GM thought of it.

The Denali should be reserved for a model that can offer something that is not already part of the package (like with the Sierra & Yukon/XL, a larger engine and AWD coupled with luxury features in the interior above what is already offered on the SLT model). If the Terrain gets Pontiac-esque body cladding (i.e. chin spoilers, rear defusers, and rocker panel extensions) with no different interior appointments and engine offering, then it too will suck as much as the Acadia Denali.

>>"I think it was only C3 for GMC's centennial year though."<<

How could that be the case, when this year is GMC's centennial ? :P

>>"...offered the Escalade soon after the Yukon Denali (2000 I believe)"<<

it was during model year '99 (tho it may have bowed late).

Anyone looking for clarification of "rebadge" can look up '99 Escalade vs the Yukon and learn.

I can understand the POV that the Denali would have more cache' were it to offer specialized, unique appointments & a lil' sumpin-sumpin underhood; such would appeal to the enthusiast/ purist mindset (including mine). But it's clear the Denali packages, even as primarily 'bling' are in demand as is. Look at the F-150; up to 7 levels of trim I believe, from a 'value' brand, too. GMC itself is upscale, have a model-topper Denali trim for each is not out of character for the Division's positioning IMO.

I could go for a Denali Terrain if it has the Direcet Injection 3.6 like they have in the CTS. That CUV would rock in AWD trim, the DI3.6 engine and Denali bling! :metal:

[PUTS MOD HAT ON]...

Please, let's keep the discussion level civil here. No need to berate anyone's opinion nor bash one for their way of thinking. Everyone is entitled to think what they want of the Denali trim and the Terrain. If you don't see eye-to-eye with them, take the higher road and don't post garbage. This is to everyone posting here, no one is being singled out.

Refocus the discussion to the topic.

...[TAKES MOD HAT OFF]

The original Yukon Denali (1999) offered no more perfromance over the standard '99 Yukon 5-door. As Oldsmoboi stated, it was a luxury model to offer something above and beyond anything else in GMC's stable. If you don't know the back story, the Denali was originally designed for Cadillac and Caddy wanted nothing to do with trucks, so GMC took it (hence why the frontend looks nothing like any other GMC of that era). Lincoln was just about to release the Navigator and Cadillac thought it would fail. It didn't and GMC already took the Denali. Cadillac pulled rank and rebadged the grille and wheel center caps and offered the Escalade soon after the Yukon Denali (2000 I believe). It wasn't until the redesigned 2001 GMC Yukon/XL Denali arrived did AWD and a larger engine become part of the package. Luxury met upgraded performance at that point.

I do equate the Denali trim with Chevrolet's SS trim of this past decade. Cobalt SS? Malibu Maxx SS? TrailBlazer SS? Silverado SS? The Silverado was basically Chevrolet's Denali model... AWD, extended cab, leather with all the options, 6.0L V8 engine - JUST LIKE THE SIERRA DENALI!! If it were in the true vein of the SS heritage, why couldn't you get it in RWD, cloth, less options, regular cab, and geared for street performance rather than luxury/performance? Yes, the Denali model is being whored out - as much as a GMC enthusiast I am, I cannot stand the Acadia Denali. When Susan Dogherty held a web chat before the Terrain hit the lots a lot of people asked about the Denali being a possibility and she said "not on the radar". Not every GMC needs a Denali model, because the SLT model offers all the luxury needed - the Denali is just extra BLING on an already loaded vehicle. As for the Sierra HD Denali, it makes sense because a lot of people with money that haul horse trailers, RV trailers, and car haulers that want to flaunt their wealth will purchase these. That's the intended market for the Sierra HD Denali - not the work truck group. If it brings in extra profit, so be it. Would you rather see an Escalade Crew Cab 2500 HD pcikup for this market instead? Don't laugh, I'm sure GM thought of it.

The Denali should be reserved for a model that can offer something that is not already part of the package (like with the Sierra & Yukon/XL, a larger engine and AWD coupled with luxury features in the interior above what is already offered on the SLT model). If the Terrain gets Pontiac-esque body cladding (i.e. chin spoilers, rear defusers, and rocker panel extensions) with no different interior appointments and engine offering, then it too will suck as much as the Acadia Denali.

I agree that the Denali should be reserved for a version of a model that has more advanced AWD and more power in the engine. Things that just can't be found on lesser models. Just adding bling to a Acadia or Terrain just will not do a special name justice.

I never considered the Denali as a performance version like the SS. My point was that is should be something special over and above it just being a trim packages offered. We saw the SS go from a true performance car and trim to just being a trim package on a Malibu was my point.

I never saw a problem on the SS being on a Trailblazer or Cobalt if it offered real performance. The Cobalt SS in real perfromance times and track times is at near the top of the list. But on the other hand the 2005 Malibu SS was not really anything more than Fog lights and badges.

Special up level models should be set appart like the SSEI Bonnie was from the regular cars. My SSEI has many features you could not get in the regular Bonnie and added driveline options.

The Terrain Denali with the extra trim and a Haldex AWD system would be a good start. The SRX has it so we know it could fit.

The bottom line just don't give me a buch of chrome and call it a day. Make the extra parts more interactive. It does not need to have 500 HP but give me something special to give me a reason to step up with the extra money. The AWD Denali Pick up was a good example of the template they should follow. The best engine standard with AWD and Sliding sun roof with a better interior that you could get in the regular Serria.

Just please no more Acadia like Denali's.

Edited by hyperv6

Remember guys, there are a bunch of new engines slated to arrive from GM in the next 8 to 18 months. Revised 4-cylinder turbos, revised 3.0 and 3.6 liter V6es - some with turbos, a new 2.5 liter, more eAssist.

We've already heard a rumor that the Enclave is going to go down to a 3.0 litre..... so I'm sure some changes are in store.

On that note, let's get in our Delorean and ask people who bought an Eldorado Biarritz what/where Biarritz is. I believe that is equally a metaphor similar to Denali as you put it.

On that note, let's get in our Delorean and ask people who bought an Eldorado Biarritz what/where Biarritz is. I believe that is equally a metaphor similar to Denali as you put it.

Or better yet, "Brougham" since that was an uplevel trim used on many, many different marques.

Or better yet, "Brougham" since that was an uplevel trim used on many, many different marques.

From Wikipedia:

In the 1930s, a brougham was a two-door or four-door sedan, especially one electrically driven. The term was also applied to a vehicle similar to a limousine but with an outside seat in front for the chauffeur and an enclosed cabin behind for the passengers. The name derives from the light, fashionable brougham carriage of the nineteenth century.

Cadillac first used the name on their Cadillac Brougham in 1916, and on their top models throughout the 20th century.

Over the years, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Chevrolet, Pontiac, American Motors, Mercury Lincoln, Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge have also used the Brougham name to differentiate the more comfortably-appointed versions of a given model; Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham, Pontiac Parisienne Brougham, Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency Brougham, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham, Chrysler New Yorker Brougham, Plymouth Valiant Brougham, and Dodge Monaco Brougham have all been produced. American Motors' top line Ambassador was marketed as the Brougham in 1971-74.

Ford used the Brougham name on its 1970s-era LTD and Torino lines as well as the Mercury Marquis.

Also I do know that Daewoo had a Brougham model as well.

Denali, is it a National Park, a Mountain in the park, Sara Palins back yard, or an over chromed GMC of some nature?

Brougham or Bro Ham each are used daily in different parts of our society.

Too bad Cadillac no longer has bullet bumpers or it could be a Grand Tetons editions based on the old legend of that name.

These terms mean different things to different people.

As for Denali if they can make a profit with it call it what ever. I just pray it has more content than just chrome and trim than the last Denali.

The GM name BS was king on the Fiero. They had a story that they had a late night meeting and pulled that one out of a book. They claimed it ment Proud in Italian. Funny how in the late 60's the name was on a Firebird Show car the Firebird Fiero. Back then it ment Firebird Aero Concept.

A lot of this comes down to some marketing and image. But a lot comes down to cost and who ownes the rights. GM has a long list of registered names that they pull from often. It is much cheaper than to seek a new name and then do a search and then legaly get the rights registere. I think I saw somewhere some new names can cost $15,000-$20,000 to register.

Some times the marketing backfires as with the Cutlass name. People bought the Cutlass Supreme because it was a very good car. Just because you put the name on a bunch of average FWD cars did not transform them into great cars. Content is much more than name. A good car can over come a bad name but a bad car just sucks no matter what lable it gets.

You know, that picture on page 1 just shows a regular production SLT body with a different grille and a rocker panel with a bunch of holes ( :lol: )... nothing to get too excited about yet :P

I wonder if this will be previewed at the upcoming NYIAS... less than one month away!!

• 1 month later...

Strangely enough, the Terrain Denali prototypes are now running with camo over the front end. Same grille from the earlier spy photo is visible through it.

Not sure why they would cover it up now. All that really does is confirm its' identity.

I personally think we need to drop Denali from the Terrain line and go with a Black Ice Edition. Use a Dual Turbo charged DI 3.6 V6 along with a Black Chrome grill, Black Chrome 19" rims and all other trim on both outside and inside is Black Chrome. This should be a limited edition top of the line performance model, say 5000 a year is all. Also have the windows all Limo black out and the front drivers door and passenger door 25% tint. This would be a very cool look and could be a Halo version of the Terrain model. :P