2008 Buell Blast - Used Motorcycle Review - Long Term

2008 Buell Blast Review

Something Old, Something New

Cheers & Gears

Entering the motorcycle hobby is a strange thing. Companies, whet the appetites of riders-to-be with machines that promise warp speed acceleration, or long, chrome-laden cruisers dripping with sex appeal. But almost every Hayabusa or Harley rider has had to start with a bike that they were often glad to be rid of. Little attention is paid to the bikes that many of these riders threw their legs over for their first time. Before one may ride into the sunset on a stallion, they must first learn on a mule.

At least that is how the motorcycle industry tends to view 'beginner' bikes: mules. Built to be abused for a season or two until they are put out to pasture, or sold again to a new owner. Unlike the burly sleds that will end up being garaged for months at a time, vigorously polished, and brought out on sunny days, small bikes are the workhorses; built to rack up the miles, with as little maintenance as possible, and still be required to take a fall or three and limp the rider home.

The Buell Blast which debuted in 2000, was such a bike. Created by Harley Davidson primarily for MSF, and Riders Edge programs, the Blast's purpose was twofold: get riders comfortable with motorcycles, and then get them to trade up to a 'real' Harley. Dealers often had buyback promotions for Blast's, intending to sell the Blast to a customer one year, in the hopes that it would be traded in for a Dyna or Sportster the next. Whether the marketing strategy worked is up for debate, but the bike itself is a staple in many MSF and learning programs.

Save for the internals, the Blast looks nothing at all like a Harley. Chances are, Harley did not want a 'beginner' bike polluting its stable for fear of stirring up its legions of 'traditionalist' riders. Odd, considering Harley had successfully produced small, single-cylinder motorcycles up until the Seventies. The company decided to foist the Blast upon their sportbike brand, Buell. Whether for its powertrain, or the fact that the Blast was not consistent with his own engineering ideology, Eric Buell's disdain for the Blast was no secret. In 2009, the 2010 model was shown off in an advertisement campaign, crushed into a cube, and Buell stating it would no longer sell the bike.

Ironically, the Buell brand has since been shuttered, and the Blast, which now is its own brand, is the only Buell that remains in production. However, it is only being produced for learning programs, and is not for public consumption. So a rider must look top the used market. Fortunately, depreciation on the Blast is considerable, especially given the Buell brand's closure.

The Red Headed Stepchild:

To describe the Blast, one must be first be familiar with Buell's other offerings. Sportbikes like the XB9 and XB12 are unabashed urban assault vehicles, propelled by a mean, rip-snorting Harley engine, with razor handling and looks to match. Aimed right at Ducati's jugular, Eric Buell's bikes are similar to vehicles like Cadillac's CTS-V and Chrysler's SRT-8: euro-fighters, with a brash American disposition. Like the aforementioned cars, Buell's do not occupy the mainstream, and often sit in the shadows while others flock to the Hayabusa's and Monster's, the BMW 3's and Mercedes C's of the bike world. But their frenetic nature does attract a certain crowd searching for something different, and out of the ordinary. A machine that isn't much like anything else on the road.

The Blast is different from anything on the road too. But so is the Citroen DS. Depending on your point of view, the Blast is either 'cute,' or very ugly. Eric Buell even referred to the Blast as 'cute,' although with the affinity reserved for dogs so ugly, that they're slightly adorable.

Lacking any front fairing, the Blast's modest powertrain and exhaust is exposed. Punters may regard it as pithy, fans, prefer to call it 'honest.' And in a way, it is honest. Unlike the Ninja 250, or Hyosung GT250R, the Blast is unashamed of its internals, preferring to bare all, as opposed to donning bulging fenders in an effort to look a couple sizes larger. Its singular, round headlight reminiscent of the Volkswagen Beetle. The protruding mirrors make it even appear bug-like from the front. In yellow, the bike is downright cheeky.

"<ahttp://www.cheersandgears.com/uploads/garage_images/image_url-1376-1301262092.jpg" WIDTH="500" HEIGHT="375" HSPACE="15" vspace="15" align="right">

From the side, the Buell is equally disarming. The eye is drawn to the large belt drive cog on the rear axle, and then to the center, where a mountain of wiring and tubes weave in and out of the engine and frame. It's a simple affair, utilitarian and unflattering. The muffler is situated at bottom of the bike, right before the rear wheel, politely out of the way. This was done to prevent potential leg-burns, but it also means that the Blast's exhaust note will be more Honda Ruckus than Harley Fat Bob.

The seat height is remarkably low, at a standard 27 inch height. Blast's could even be ordered with a 25.5 inch seat for those shorter in stature yet. Luckily, the standard seat did not manage to restrict my 6'2 body at all. I was entirely able to find a pleasant riding position, and could ride for an hour or two before needing to take a break. This alone would be a major selling point, as the competition's riding positions are far less forgiving to someone my size. The seat is also very comfortable, which is another oddity, given that many standard Harley seats may as well have been filled with concrete.

Owner of a Lonely Heart:

Powering the Blast is a 492cc single-cylinder, which is about twice the displacement of other bikes it competes with, yet remains very compact thanks to the use of OverHead Valve's (Pushrods). Buell claims 34HP @ 7500RPM, but it's not often that the rider will actually see those RPM's. What is more important, is the 30 ft/lbs of torque, at 3200RPM.

This also makes the Blast an easier engine to maintain, especially thanks to its automatic valve adjustment. Aspiring mechanics will also appreciate this simplicity in case a rebuild is required.

Another 'blast from the past' is the Buell's use of a carburettor. This may seem odd, but carbs are still quite common in the motorcycle world. And in a bike like the Blast, the complexity of EFI would only add costs and potential headaches. A five-speed gearbox should provide adequate performance, especially since the bike is not meant for extended highway jaunts.

Blast Off:

Starting the Blast is a hassle-free experience; unlike older bikes of its ilk, the choke is automatic, meaning flooding issues are left in the past. Only a turn of the key, and pulling the clutch handle in whilst holding the starter is needed. The engine requires just a couple revolutions until it comes alive . Once the engine has woken up, it must only be warmed up for a short time before operation.

Unfortunately, this seamless procedure comes to a (literally) grinding halt when the clutch is engaged. If the bike has not been operated for a while, the clutch will make one of the most awful downshifts you will have the displeasure of hearing. After weeks of ownership, it remains wince-inducing, but is, entirely normal. Once warm oil has bathed the clutch plates, shifts become smoother.

Vibration is also very apparent during idle. Single's, or 'Thumpers' as they're known, lack the balancing characteristics of multi-cylinder engines. The Blast's engine is sourced from an already vibe-happy Harley V-Twin, and lacks any of the balancing shafts of the V-Twin. Consequently, the Blast looks ready to shake off all comers, as well as its various pedals, levers and accessories. The footpegs, secured only by cotter pins tend to be the worst offenders for adding extra noise at idle. So far, no components have fallen off, but it would be worthwhile to inspect and tighten certain objects periodically; doubly so if a rider has taken a spill which will loosen components like mirrors, and signal lights. The extra vibration also just aggravates the bike's internal workings that much more, which may affect reliability in the future.

Whilst on the road, hammering into first does require a little more force than most riders would prefer. This becomes apparent in emergency situations, where quick downshifts to first may not entirely engage. A rider will need to be conscious of this, and act appropriately.

Strangely, it is when the Buell is motivated that it becomes a docile creature. 'Blasting off,' isn't terribly smooth, nor graceful. The engine is buzzy in first gear, and does not accelerate all that quickly. This is providing the new rider has managed to finesse the throttle and clutch gracefully enough so as not to stall.

Once the rider heads north of twenty kilometers per hour, and taps into second, that the engine finally stretches its legs. Vibration diminishes, and the engine reaches into a deep well of torque, scooting the Blast along without feeling harried. Third gear was all that was needed to meet city speeds, giving the rider more time to concentrate on the congested roads ahead. This is advantageous compared to higher-strung bikes like the Ninja 250, which do require more massaging to stay in the sweet spot. Revving to high-heaven is unnecessary, a nod perhaps, to Harley's 'easy rider' mentality which has snuck into the Buell. Blast riders may even be tempted to set their clutch in second, and just cruise around the neighbourhood.

Moving between second and fifth gears was relatively seamless. The clutch did not engage with the 'shick-shick' preciseness of its import competitors; instead, it was slightly clunky, almost 'agricultural' in feel, and unfitting of a bike that was produced less than three years ago. Every shift would produce a solid 'thud' from the clutch, oddly satisfying in an old-school way, but amateurish.

Although power delivery was predictable, watching the throttle is a necessity when shifting upwards. New riders ought to be wary of the Blast's 'kick' that occurs when revving a little too much after shifting. The wheel will not lift off the ground, but the lurch can be jarring, a byproduct of the single's torque.

Handling is nimble, and betrays the Buell's modest nature. Corner carving is enjoyable and the Buell's low center of gravity and upright seating position allow the rider to keep things under control in the twisties. The front disc brake slows the bike down quickly but isn't grabby enough to send the rider over their handlebars in the event of emergency handling. The rear disc adds the necessary extra stopping power in case things go wrong. On the many occasions where I had to evade people popping out of their alleyways too fast, or drivers who stopped ahead of me sharply, the Buell remained predictable.

Just the Beginning:

Having spent a week with the Blast so far, I can say that it does have a number of qualities that make it a desirable bike. The seating position alone makes any rider feel in control and confident. The punchy engine makes the Blast a more practical solution around town compared to a sportbike. Thirdly, the looks will appeal to those who want something out of the ordinary.

But these advantages are tempered by the somewhat questionable build quality, and the vibration, the first issue being aggravated by the second. When actually moving, the Blast is fine. Stop at an intersection for long periods, then the vibration can get very tiring. Given that the Blast's environment will be mainly stop-and-go traffic, this is a real concern for any rider. And then there is the clutch, which will grind the riders gears after cold starts with a dreadful noise.

Despite the disadvantages, the Blast carries out its beginner bike duties with aplomb. It is a mule, through and through, but it has yet to cause any real issues, and has allowed me to pick up the bike and practice, which is its main purpose, while dealing with any spills and abuse with minimal fuss. It has a personality, and panache all of its own, and a rider can rest assured that they own something a little bit different from the rest.

- More pictures, and insights to come.

Thank You for Reading.

Edited by Buzz Killington

Nice write-up, seems like a good throw-away bike, like a Cobalt is a good throw-away car for beginners.

I have, from time to time, thought about getting a starter bike since my commute to school is so short, but I haven't been able to frame the debate in a way that buying a bike won't cost me my marriage.

Buell claims the mileage of the Blast to be about 69mpg, and I'll believe it. And since the clutch uses the same oil as the engine, fluid changes are simple and cheap. Any diesel oil, or 20w/40 should do the trick.

Safety is a concern, but then you just have to be as defensive a driver as possible. My city is probably one of the worst for motorcyclists, as many motorists don't know what to make of us. Even then, as I mentioned in the review, the Buell is a very predictable performer in emergency situations, and being able to get your feet on the ground, and back onto the pegs doesn't hurt either.

I'd like to invite people to criticize my review in any way. I am hoping to add snippets of it to a journalism portfolio, and I need the improvement. Except for my photography of course; that I know I need to work on. :P

Edited by FAPTurbo

Very nice write up, I have thought a buel would be a very fine bike indeed.

I almost bought one a few years back. right now I have ADD, which is getting worse, and alas I'm not sure I trust myself on a bike, so....no Buel for me.

Update: April 2, 2011.

Operating the Blast had been a treat up until a couple days ago, when I had geared down to first abruptly.

Essentially, I kicked the shift lever down, and instead of popping back to its location, I had caused the lever to slip, and point towards the ground. After hobbling home in first gear, I looked at the mechanism and was surprised at how it was put together. On the left is where the lever attaches to the clutch. Note the machined finish around the drum.

med_gallery_1376_41_9713.jpg

Now, here is a closeup of the lever. The inside diameter finish is perfectly machined.

med_gallery_1376_41_1561.jpg

The problem with this design is that it relies solely on friction fit. The bolt has to be tightened very well in order to prevent slippage. A more conventional design is to incorporate splines on the outside and inside diameters so they lock into each other, and also employ a friction fit. Apparently, this ability to 'slip' is to prevent shifter shaft damage in the case of a spill. For a beginner bike, this is appropriate enough, and it works as intended.

However, this design was compromised by the bolt that held both parts together as it was too long, and bottomed out before making appropriate contact. In order to correct this, I had to add washers. Also, I found the gap that closes up as the bolt is tightened being too narrow, and had to file it down.

The bolt is a hex-socket design, and can be tightened with a 3/16" Allen Key. But in most cases, the bolt will be facing the ground and that will make for some awkward adjustments. I found a better approach was to use a ratchet, extension, and a hex-head as it helped me to keep the lever steady while adjusting, and apply maximum torque. Applying force with the Allen will likely cause stripping.

I am not rendering judgement at this point as to whether the bolt was intended for this application or not. Harley utilizes this "H-D GRD8" bolt in all its bikes, and in many applications. My Blast uses the bolt on its crankcase, the suspension, and on the frame. There is a chance the previous owner may have lost the proper bolt, and substituted it with a 'GRD8.' Either way, this caught me off guard, as it betrays the Blast's relatively care-free nature.

Very nice write up, I have thought a buel would be a very fine bike indeed.

I almost bought one a few years back. right now I have ADD, which is getting worse, and alas I'm not sure I trust myself on a bike, so....no Buel for me.

Bikes like the Blast and Suzuki's S40 are built with newbies in mind, so even if you're a bit jittery, they'll help build confidence real fast. You may actually find yourself quite relaxed once things get rolling, and you've gotten a bit better with the throttle/clutch. I know I have.

Edited by Dodgefap

sweet. i been lookin at these and they regularly sell on ebay for sub $2K. i had a KE100 dual sport i occasionally rode on the shoulder when riding to our place from my house. if gas keeps creeping up i may consider one since i have a 15 min jaunt to work.

Cool writeup...It is nice to see another biker around here. The weather just started getting nice around here again, so I have been riding all week.

That is a strange shifter configuration. I'll have to check out what the SV's looks like, but I'm pretty sure it is nothing like that. I actually took a spill on my bike, and the rubber foot peg on the shifter is what snapped off. I was actually able to go back to the crash site, find the peg, and reattach it using a screw and some nuts (of course, it was probably made to snap off easily, and if I fall again then it may do more damage to the assembly).

I managed to bend the footpeg portion of my shift lever when I fell off the bike. Fortunately, the rubber sleeve came off in boiling water, and the metal (aluminum) was able to be heated with some MAPP gas. I just had to have one end of the lever in a vice, and ply the footpeg bit with a ball peen to make it relatively straight again.

I wish I had taken some pictures of that process, because Harley charges an arm and a leg for those sorts of parts, not to mention they're increasingly harder to find given Buell's demise.

Edited by Dodgefap

• 3 months later...

Update July 9th, 2011

I've put on just over 1000 kilometers on the bike. There have been some caveats, but the experience is still quite positive.

Mechanical Musings:

----

In May, I saw that there was a trickle of fluid from the right fork's dust seal. For whatever reason, there was a fork fluid leak and it nearly got to my brakes. There was no noticeable damage to the fork or the sliders, so I decided to do a slight rebuild and fork fluid change.

The fork fluid seals were about four bucks apiece and two containers of fluid were about twenty.

Disassembly was quite simple, although it required a second person to assist in removing and replacing a stopper ring that held a spring seat in place. I had to push down on the spring seat, while my buddy grabbed at the ring with a pair of small screwdrivers. Everything was held by a vice, with only very little pressure to avoid ruining the fork assembly.

I noticed a fishy smell, so considerable amounts of moisture entered the fork. There was also some light corrosion of the spring seat that I rubbed off with an emery cloth and some WD40.

Pumping the old fluid out was simple enough. Replacing it with new stuff was slightly tougher, as Suspension forks often require very exact measurements of their fluid. Mine required 9.2 oz per fork, so I needed some measuring cups from the kitchen handy, as well as a couple smaller ones for medicine to get the best measurement.

Driving the new seal with a 39mm fork seal driver was effortless. I'd recommend one to any budding mechanic, but PVC piping will work too.

So far, I have not seen any leakage from the forks. I make a point to check every time that I am about to ride.

Either way, a bike this new and with this little mileage shouldn't have fork issues. Hopefully it's an isolated incident.

----

The stock exhaust, has a tendency to rust. This is due to its location, right at the bottom of the bike. If you live in a city like mine where there is a lot of rain, you'll want to take some measures to keep the exhaust looking great. After a wash, simply apply a liberal amount of WD40 onto the muffler and exhaust. It seems to work well enough.

----

Brake fluid jobs are incredibly simple. The Buell's small size make it easy for one person to pump the brake levers for pressurization, and quickly zap the wrench back and forth to spit out the old fluid.

All you need is an 8mm wrench, a clear container, some clear 1/4 inch inside diameter tubing, and DOT4 brake fluid. A motorcycle stand is best to make the bike centered, but a piece of wood underneath the kick stand will suffice, as long as the owner is careful.

It took barely 10 minutes per brake, and the bike stops on a dime. I would recommend any beginner do this job to learn about their bike, look for any potential issues unrelated to brakes, and to make their ride as safe as possible.

----

The bike's stellar fuel economy has a downside: it runs quite lean. This is purely intended, but it means that there are 'pops' when decelerating, and when rolling down hills. For a beginner, this may cause concern, but it's fine. But it does mean that the bike's powerband is compromised too. More advanced riders, will want to re-jet their carb's and access the air mixture screw to richen things up. I aim to do both of these in the near future.

----

Riding Reflections

----

The seat is still incredibly comfortable, and the bike's ergonomics are excellent. Everyone who has sat on the bike - male, female, short, tall - have all found a good seating position. The seat is mentioned constantly. Harley deserves credit for making a bike that gets potential riders excited based not on looks or performance, but on the merits of comfort and handling.

----

No helmet lock?! Seriously Harley? The Ninja 250 has one! There are occasions where I'd rather leave the helmet with my bike, and not have to juggle my gear. A rider can purchase a cable, and thread it around the bike and through the helmet if need be. But this just seems like an oversight.

----

Off the line performance in second gear still continues to impress. The massive amount of low-end torque means that zipping in and out of traffic is a cinch.

----

That off the line performance is tempered somewhat by the clunky transmission. Hitting neutral, or false neutral happens a little too commonly and can be disconcerting.

----

All in all, I'm still happy with the bike despite its issues, some of which I touched upon in the first review.

• 9 months later...

After the suspension work, I rode it into early winter. It has since stayed in storage since I haven't had the time to get it sorted out. That'll change by the beginning of May, I think.

But I will say that it was smooth sailing up until it was parked.

• 2 months later...

Update... July 2nd, 2012

I hit 5,555km (~3,500mi) and figured I'd add to the review.

My initial criticism's of the Blast still remain.

Despite changing to synthetic 20w/50 gear oil, the shifts from neutral to first, and first to second, remain clunky.

Hitting neutral between first and second is very common. This mainly happens in intersections, where the rider's concentration is especially focused on the surroundings. This isn't really dangerous, as it is annoying.

The vibration at idle is still annoying. It's discomforting when you hear a rattle you've never heard before. Any DIY'er should keep Loc-Tite in their toolbox if they own a Blast.

Freeway speeds don't agree with the Blast. It will get up to them, but maintaining them isn't pleasant. Also, the lack of a real fairing also means there is a lot of wind/turbulence. This is an issue with all 'naked' bikes, mind you. Really, the Buell is at home in the city or on a twisty, rural road.

Gear oil grievances.

I decided to change the oil in my gearbox about 100km ago. This is something to be done at the 5,000 mile mark but I decided to do it early.

The process is a pain.

It requires the removal of the muffler/exhaust, which is held to the bike by a pair of braces. One brace in particular, towards the rear wheel, has a set of bolts that require a bit of finesse to access. You must feed a hex-key blindly into the frame and have the key find the bolt and lock into it. Then the nut that faces out can be ratcheted off. All in all, it can be done in 10 minutes.

Removing the exhaust exposes the gearbox's oil drain bolt, which is a cinch to remove. It's a good idea to give the bike a good run to warm the oil before draining.

Filling the gearbox is another issue. It requires removing a part of the frame that the main footpeg is attached to. Three bolts hold it in place, in a cavity underneath the seat. Removing the bolts is awful. You will need a universal joint for your ratchet and a short and long extension. You'll also need a lot of patience, as you'll constantly have to re-adjust the U-joint. It's a slow procedure.

Once the portion of the frame is removed, accessing the gearbox is a cinch. You'll need a Torx screwdriver or key to open the port to the clutch.

When that's opened, simply pour in 20w/50 synthetic oil like Mobil 1's V-Twin formula or Amsoil's. Dedicated gear oil is NOT to be used.

Reattaching the frame component is as horrible as removing it. Again, a U-joint and the socket wrench extensions are required.

Now, with the bad stuff out of the way...

I will say the bike never fails to impress in the city and twisties. For an engine with ~30HP, it has a lot of pick-me up. A rider can get to 60km/h (40mp/h) in second gear, in no time. This bike will give you a solid lead over vehicles at the intersection, allowing for a decent cushion between you and the driver behind.

Throttle response is OK. Compared to a modern, computerized bike with fuel-injection, the Blast is a pig. But when passing cars or weaving between lanes, it's good enough.

Handling is what makes this bike live up to its name. This thing hugs curves like a dream, while remaining very compliant. Many sport-bikes can be finicky or too reactive, which is unnerving to novices. The Blast eats corners like a Ducati, but with cruiser-like comfort. It won't be as fast as the Duc, but will be just as fun.

In a parking lot slalom, the Blast would zip between each cone (the space that is 1 1/2 the lenght of the Blast) with ease. It's impressive how well-mannered the bike is, during cornering and quick turns.

Also, the Blast is a simple bike mechanically. Debugging issues is easy. I can`t think of a better machine for budding mechanics to work on.

But it`d be more of a Blast...

If the fuel-mixture was a bit richer by default. The bike has plenty of low-end, but it lacks in the mid-range. I find myself hitting fourth gear quite often just to stay in the low-end of the powerband. Rejetting the carb and setting a richer mixture is said to help fix this.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, July 13th, 2012...

I did a couple days of good highway riding recently on the Blast. If anyone is aiming to do freeway commutes that are more than 15 minutes long per trip, consider a different bike.

Because the Buell has no fairing or wind protection, things get very breezy when hitting 80km/h (50mph). It's tolerable for only a short while.

Plus, I had a hard time keeping the Blast over 100km/h. (60mph). It was likely my size and weight that created a lot of extra drag, but that little powertrain just didn't want to go faster. This is good in one way: it keeps the rider out of trouble. The bad news is that this potentially makes it harder to pass large vehicles like trucks. If a rider tries to pass a truck, they'll be caught in a lot of turbulence, for a long time as the engine struggles along. Since the bike is unfaired, this could be a problem, especially to a new rider.

The good news is that in 5th gear and at high speed, the Blast's powertrain is very smooth. So that makes things a little better.

I liked the blast when it was in production, althbough I've never ridden one. thanks for your thoughtful review.

Unlike some people here, I've ridden bikes.

I hate to mention any H product as good, but the Honda Shadow is an awesome bike, one I'd get if I didn't get a Harley Sportster 1200. Little larger bike would make a much better touring machine, it sounds like.

Although from the sound of your review the blast is very nimble around town, I can really respect that.

Update, 21st, 2012...

Instead of a good ride in the mountains with friends, the Blast wanted to stay in the garage instead.

I decided to get gas before the trip but the fuel-cap would only be partially removed. It was caught in or on the tank. Since I couldn't gas up, I couldn't head for the hills. No fun.

post-1376-0-27751300-1342935732_thumb.jp

I removed the gas cap assembly and found that the plastic portion of the fuel cap was overlapping the metal, therefore catching and making the cap difficult to remove. The cap always required a jiggle to remove but I figured that's how it was. But, this time, it simply wouldn't come loose.

You'll see how the plastic has been chewed up a bit.

post-1376-0-06894700-1342935944_thumb.jp

Turns out, this is a problem with other people's Blast's too.

Unfortunately, the solution is to file the overlapping plastic down. I did this and it seems to have solved the problem, though it feels and looks totally amateur.

This is a bit of a downer. This is a bike that has been in production for quite some time. An average person would wonder what else they didn't get right with the bike, if they couldn't make the fuel cap fit properly.

But maybe the bike will redeem itself tomorrow. It's destined for the twisty road to Whistler.

Nice write up, you have been consistent in taking us on a journey. I have enjoyed it.

I know you know your photography needs work, but always keep in mind is there things growing out the the person, the bike, the car etc.

When you have poles growing out of the main object, it takes away from the image.

It also helps people to show a before photo before disassemble so that one can get the right orientation of the part. I assumed based on your write up that we were looking at the inside of the fuel filling area. Very interesting design I will say that .

Hope you have a good ride and nothing more goes wrong for the rest of the season.

• 1 year later...
Guest Sandy Eggo

I have an '07 Blast, and besides some small complaints, have no desire to move up. True, it's mostly because I physically can't, being a teeny 5' girl. But it's been a good little bike, keeping up with Gixxers, Beemers, KLRs, CBRs, and Suzukis on the twisties around San Diego.

Funnily enough, I had mostly the same maintenance problems. The woman I bought it from was a nurse, and it looks like she put the sticker for her hospital's parking garage on the right fork, where it destroyed the seal. I also lost the shifter on the highway on the way to work, and had to lug it on surface streets in 5th gear. It was a mess getting the part from Harley (>$100, >1 month), then when I attached it, the stainless steel bolt stripped the soft aluminum shifter, so the bolt was stuck in there and the shifter wasn't tight enough to work. After another month of ruining drill bits trying to get it out, bringing it to various friends' houses so they could give it a go, and Harley laughing at me when I asked their shop to take it out, a nice handyman working at my office one day (the bike was stuck there, in an empty office like its own private showroom) got it out within a minute, then supplied a bolt and nut and slapped it on the bike.

About once a month, I drive it the 130 miles between LA and San Diego, and it's not the wind resistance that gets me (probably because I'm little enough to crouch on the tank), it's the vibrating. I usually take a break halfway (also to get gas), and wear bike shorts! I fill up every 100 miles, which usually takes about 1.5 gallons. It has an aftermarket exhaust, so it's obnoxiously loud; Harley guys have complemented it. However, the other day I jumped a curb which was actually 2 steps (oops!) and scraped the muffler a bit, which will probably add to the noise. Also, right now it's been leaking a little bit of oil from the clutch cable, especially after taking it on the highway. Hopefully I'll be able to fix it, and it is an easy bike to work on: I've changed the oil, brake fluid, brake pads, and the aforementioned front forks at home. A good little bike, especially for those of us who are vertically challenged!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest oneklutz

I actually went from and ironhead sporty to an '08 blast. Not for the need of a beginner bike. But for a more reliable bike. The blast is pretty close the my iron head in speed etc. But handles way better. Blast was a small fraction of what a full rebuild on a bike over en years old would cost. Great in city, curves,mountain rodes. I do agree the first gear shift is a pain. But 3rd through fifth is smooth.Also in third and up I barely feel vibration

I have an '07 Blast, and besides some small complaints, have no desire to move up. True, it's mostly because I physically can't, being a teeny 5' girl. But it's been a good little bike, keeping up with Gixxers, Beemers, KLRs, CBRs, and Suzukis on the twisties around San Diego.

Funnily enough, I had mostly the same maintenance problems. The woman I bought it from was a nurse, and it looks like she put the sticker for her hospital's parking garage on the right fork, where it destroyed the seal. I also lost the shifter on the highway on the way to work, and had to lug it on surface streets in 5th gear. It was a mess getting the part from Harley (>$100, >1 month), then when I attached it, the stainless steel bolt stripped the soft aluminum shifter, so the bolt was stuck in there and the shifter wasn't tight enough to work. After another month of ruining drill bits trying to get it out, bringing it to various friends' houses so they could give it a go, and Harley laughing at me when I asked their shop to take it out, a nice handyman working at my office one day (the bike was stuck there, in an empty office like its own private showroom) got it out within a minute, then supplied a bolt and nut and slapped it on the bike.

About once a month, I drive it the 130 miles between LA and San Diego, and it's not the wind resistance that gets me (probably because I'm little enough to crouch on the tank), it's the vibrating. I usually take a break halfway (also to get gas), and wear bike shorts! I fill up every 100 miles, which usually takes about 1.5 gallons. It has an aftermarket exhaust, so it's obnoxiously loud; Harley guys have complemented it. However, the other day I jumped a curb which was actually 2 steps (oops!) and scraped the muffler a bit, which will probably add to the noise. Also, right now it's been leaking a little bit of oil from the clutch cable, especially after taking it on the highway. Hopefully I'll be able to fix it, and it is an easy bike to work on: I've changed the oil, brake fluid, brake pads, and the aforementioned front forks at home. A good little bike, especially for those of us who are vertically challenged!

Hi Sandy, thanks for your comment! It's good to hear I'm not the only one who experienced issues with the shifter, and bad at the same time. I'm curious why the Harley dealer was giving you a hard time and what they said? I've heard stories about Buell owners being jerked around by HD dealers, which says something about the dealer's business acumen. 

any new updates?

Hi Kevin! Nothing new, as my Blast has been in the garage since the fall of 2012. I've since 'graduated' to a Buell 1125CR. I may get the Blast back on the road for a little more follow up in the future.

I actually went from and ironhead sporty to an '08 blast. Not for the need of a beginner bike. But for a more reliable bike. The blast is pretty close the my iron head in speed etc. But handles way better. Blast was a small fraction of what a full rebuild on a bike over en years old would cost. Great in city, curves,mountain rodes. I do agree the first gear shift is a pain. But 3rd through fifth is smooth.Also in third and up I barely feel vibration

Hi OneKlutz, thanks for commenting! Though I've changed bikes, I do find myself on occasion wishing I had the Blast's handling. The 1125CR is pretty forgiving but there's something 'comfortable' about the Blast and how it lets you take the curves very fluidly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oneklutz

I've had a 66 kawasaki omega thumper, A he Yamaha Xjs 650 "I think" most recently an iron head 1000cc sporty. Decided not to finish rebuilding as HD dealer was dumping the blasts for nothing. I grabbed the 08 Blast. So far it's been just that A Blast. Reminds me a Lil of my 1966 thumper mixed with my iron head. It's great in town. Mountains roads etc... I don't travel long rides or I would have owned a dresser. Only complaint I have with the blast is the wear of the pirelli mt75 tires. Besides that so far. This is the perfect blend of Nostalgia and Modern riding in one

Guest orlotsip

I've had a 66 kawasaki omega thumper, A he Yamaha Xjs 650 "I think" most recently an iron head 1000cc sporty. Decided not to finish rebuilding as HD dealer was dumping the blasts for nothing. I grabbed the 08 Blast. So far it's been just that A Blast. Reminds me a Lil of my 1966 thumper mixed with my iron head. It's great in town. Mountains roads etc... I don't travel long rides or I would have owned a dresser. Only complaint I have with the blast is the wear of the pirelli mt75 tires. Besides that so far. This is the perfect blend of Nostalgia and Modern riding in one