Alfa Romeo's Return To US Is Delayed

Alfa Romeo's Return To US Is Delayed

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

April 10, 2011

post-10485-0-38323400-1302489087.png

If you have dreaming about you're new Alfa Romeo in 2012, you will have to keep that dream alive. According to sources in Alfa Romeo, the introduction of the brand to North America and Canada has been pushed back to 2013. The delay is due to manufacturing and styling issues with the Giulia, the replacement for the 159. Also, CEO Sergio Marchionne is unhappy with Chrysler & Dodge designers with their designs for the 200 and Avenger which share the same platform as the Giulia.

This puts Alfa Romeo a tight spot not only in North America, but in Europe. Alfa has cut down their European lineup to three models; the MiTo, 159 and Guilietta. They will have to make do for now until a small SUV arrives in 2012 and the Giulia a year after.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Glad to see he isn't the only one who thinks the Giulietta isn't good looking. Aside from the 8C and the recent concept, Alfa's styling has gotten worse since the 159 with its extremely handsome and serious front end to this and the MiTo's surprised faces.

Alfa_Romeo-159_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_08.jpg

I don't think he is unhappy with Alfa designers, the article stated that Sergio Marchionne is unhappy with Chrysler & Dodge designers ...

So I see, read that wrong. Well in any case I hope the end results for the next 200 and Avenger look better than the ugly things Alfa has been designing lately (4C excluded).

They have hard points to adhere to, maybe they're having trouble conveying a genuine Mopar look off the Italian hard points. This sounds like trouble. Chrysler certainly does not need another failed European marriage at this late stage in the game.

• Agree 4

Other than the headlights and lame rear door handles, I like the design of the Giulietta...I esp. like the proportions and how they avoided the A-pillar window that so many FWD models have been going to...

Though I definitely prefer the design of the 159, Brera, and Spyder...I'm wondering--is there going to be next gen Brera and Spyder? Those would be nice to see in the US...would be distinctive and wouldn't overlap w/ any Chrysler models.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Other than the headlights and lame rear door handles, I like the design of the Giulietta...I esp. like the proportions and how they avoided the A-pillar window that so many FWD models have been going to...

Though I definitely prefer the design of the 159, Brera, and Spyder...I'm wondering--is there going to be next gen Brera and Spyder? Those would be nice to see in the US...would be distinctive and wouldn't overlap w/ any Chrysler models.

+1, I have been lusting over the Brera for quite some time now, I'm not a hatchback kind of guy, but this is the the first hatchback I would buy without a second thought. I especially like the front and interior which has a sort of retro simplicity and looks alot better than most cars today which all have very similar center stack layouts. The only downside to the Brera is it's handling according to just about anyone who has road tested it thus far, though the S model seems to have rectified that aspect.