Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

FT-86 Part 7 - Scion Shows Off The FR-S

FT-86 Part 7 - Scion Shows Off The FR-S

post-10485-0-04075400-1303395767.png

Scion FR-S Concept Gallery

April 20, 2011 - New York - Scion unveiled the rear-wheel drive FR-S Concept sports coupe today at the 2011 New York International Auto Show. The concept, which sets out to stimulate the souls of true driving enthusiasts, will be at the Scion display through May 1. The FR-S Concept will inspire a new model coming to the Scion brand next year.

The FR-S Concept, which stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel drive, Sport; is Scion’s definition of an authentic rear-wheel-drive sports car with compelling style, exceptionally balanced performance and handling, flexible utility and surprising MPG.

“Scion is always experimenting with new things,” said Jack Hollis, Scion vice president. “The brand is iconic with the xB, adrenalized by the tC, and groundbreaking with the iQ. The FR-S will expand the brand into yet another new dimension that I know it is truly destined for.”

The FR-S is a true “scion,” born into a lengthy history of Toyota performance cars and motorsports. The sports coupe is most inspired by the AE86 generation of the Corolla, better known as the Hachi-Roku, meaning “8-6” in Japanese. The front-engine, rear-wheel drive coupe was lightweight and well balanced, making it a solid choice for driving enthusiasts.

Inspired by the AE86, the FR-S is built around the core goal of achieving “pure balance,” which begins with the strategic placement of a flat 2.0-liter boxer engine in a front-engine, rear-wheel drive configuration. The engine’s compact size and shape allows the FR-S’ powertrain to be mounted lower and further back towards the rear, giving the car a lower center of gravity and a dynamically favorable front-to-rear weight ratio.

The FR-S’ naturally-aspirated engine is innovative, being the first boxer to incorporate Toyota’s D4-S injection system, which utilizes both direct and port injection, resulting in increased horsepower and torque throughout the entire powerband, without sacrificing MPG.

The flat-four can mate with either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual offers quick and precise shifts with a short-throw, while the automatic transmission features aggressive, sporty shifts that are initiated by steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. Power is distributed effectively via a limited-slip differential.

The idea of “pure balance” is further realized by the FR-S’ lightweight design and short wheelbase. The combination allows the car to be quick and nimble into and out of any corner, with dynamic maneuverability and confident stability.

“Akio Toyoda has mentioned that he is going to bring the fun-to-drive spirit back to Toyota,” Hollis said. “I know that the Scion FR-S Concept is one of the ways that he plans to accomplish that.”

The fierce exterior of the FR-S is a good reflection of its inner power. The intimidating proportions of the concept give it a dominant stance that bleeds performance. The profile, inspired by the Toyota 2000GT, reveals a hood-line that is remarkably sleek and low, made possible by the boxer’s architecture.

The low stance continues to exaggerate the FR-S’ menacing face, which is made up of sharp lines, a wide mouth and angular headlights that include bright LED clusters.

The solid panel roofline is sleek, lightweight and rigid, slotted with an aerodynamic shape that channels air cleanly over to the top.

The front fenders protrude upward, making space for the massive monoblock Five Axis 20x8.5-inch wheels, while the muscular rear fenders are widened to house the 20x10.5-inch wheels, emphasizing the FR-S’ staggered stance and rear-wheel-drive setup.

The rear fascia sits low and wide, with extensive lower treatments that surround the dual exhaust exits and contribute to excellent aerodynamics. LEDs illuminate both the edgy taillights and the bold “SCION” logo.

The concept features four-piston-caliper front brakes that clamp down on monstrous 18-inch annular carbon ceramic matrix rotors that are fixed to the wheels in a motorcycle-fashion.

The FR-S Concept is layered in rich coats of Code Red, the appropriately named color that consists of a custom blend of candy and a developmental additive from BASF called Mearlite SSQ.

Concept Dimensions

Length – 168.2

Width – 71.5

Height – 47.4

Front Track – 61.8

Rear Track – 59.9

Wheelbase – 101.2

Dear Toyota:

I like the FT-86. I like the FT86 G's. I like the FT-86 II.

I do not like the Scion brand. At all.

I do not want a Scion FR-S. I want a Toyota Sprinter Trueno.

Regards,

Turbojett

PS: I'd like the Celica (old-school RWD) and Supra back as well. Think you can handle that, or would that corrupt your wholesome, boring-as-oatmeal image?

I don't really care what brand it is, just get it to market already GM Toyota. It's interesting to see how much the car has evolved from the original concept. I like it a lot actually. Has some nice, powerful curves to it. I just hope the production version, whenever it arrives, doesn't ultra toned down.

On the one hand it would do well as a Toyota to help with the brand's stale, vanilla image, although on the other hand it would do a lot to give Scion that sporty, youthful image it originally had (minus the sport).

Interesting...like the profile, but the front end detailing is way over the top aggro...probably would appeal to 25 yr old gamers. I suppose about the only US market competition currently is the Hyundai Genesis coupe, but this is considerably smaller..

Another car that reminds me of this:

post-418-0-63441300-1303413798.jpg

No offense man, but that truck in your signature is almost a dead ringer for that fish as well, :D

I think this is appealing... I'd never buy one though.

EDIT:

Though I can see it in this car, I see it even more in the truck in your sig... just sayin'

DAMN! Beat me to it...

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Though I can see it in this car, I see it even more in the truck in your sig... just sayin'. :)

Yep. :lol:

No offense man, but that truck in your signature is almost a dead ringer for that fish as well, :D

Which is fine with me, because IT'S A TRUCK! Trucks have always had wide-open grilles for air. Cars have only recently started using this styling cue because so many people have bought trucks/SUVs over the past 10 years it's now the trend for cars. Since cars are bottom breathers, there is no need for such large open grilles. I looked at the new 2013 Taurus & Taurus SHO at the NYIAS on Friday and most of the opening consists of plastic (like many of the other Fords using this styling trend)... it's not all open for air. Trucks = YES, Cars = NO.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Well, well... It actually looks pretty nice and sporty! Too bad GM (apparently) isn't willing to resurrect the idea of a small and relatively affordable RWD roadster/coupe... :(

Well the entire idea of reorganization was to be flexible and comprehensive enough to have no holes in the lineup.

May be the Chevy concept was a precursor and study for the small RWD kappa replacement.

Though I can see it in this car, I see it even more in the truck in your sig... just sayin'. :)

Yep. :lol:

Which is fine with me, because IT'S A TRUCK! Trucks have always had wide-open grilles for air. Cars have only recently started using this styling cue because so many people have bought trucks/SUVs over the past 10 years it's now the trend for cars. Since cars are bottom breathers, there is no need for such large open grilles. I looked at the new 2013 Taurus & Taurus SHO at the NYIAS on Friday and most of the opening consists of plastic (like many of the other Fords using this styling trend)... it's not all open for air. Trucks = YES, Cars = NO.

It's all a matter of opinion, but most of the cars you've been going nuts posting fish pictures about don't openings nearly that large as you exaggerate them to be. I wonder, do you have an issues with absolutely enormous grill on one the Terrain, or no since it has a GMC badge on it?

You can always buy an old Passat though if openings bigger than 2mm are too much for you.

001936_df.jpg

;)

Oh and if you consider 60+ years ago pretty recent then yeah its a new fad.

19276640.027lo.jpg

It's all a matter of opinion, but most of the cars you've been going nuts posting fish pictures about don't openings nearly that large as you exaggerate them to be. I wonder, do you have an issues with absolutely enormous grill on one the Terrain, or no since it has a GMC badge on it?

You can always buy an old Passat though if openings bigger than 2mm are too much for you.

;)

LoL..the 1st Taurus and '92 Crown Vic were like that also..

One of GM's coolest designs of olden days IMO had a grill bigger than any contemporary car grille--the early 70s 2nd gen Camaro RS..love that nose.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Well the entire idea of reorganization was to be flexible and comprehensive enough to have no holes in the lineup.

May be the Chevy concept was a precursor and study for the small RWD kappa replacement.

Perhaps, but using which platform? Kappa was based on the Corvette's Y-body (at least conceptually) making it extremely inflexible. GM would require a) to develop or redevelop such a platform, or b) adapt the smaller RWD architecture (Alpha) for such a vehicle. I think that dynamically both solutions would work equally well, so the choice comes down to cost: where does GM get the biggest margin from?

Edited by ZL-1

Perhaps, but using which platform? Kappa was based on the Corvette's Y-body (at least conceptually) making it extremely inflexible. GM would require a) to develop or redevelop such a platform, or b) adapt the smaller RWD architecture (Alpha) for such a vehicle. I think that dynamically both solutions would work equally well, so the choice comes down to cost: where does GM get the biggest margin from?

A small sporty coupe needs to be light, though...I doubt if Alpha (if it ever sees production) will be very light..(maybe at least 3500lbs?)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

A small sporty coupe needs to be light, though...I doubt if Alpha (if it ever sees production) will be very light..(maybe at least 3500lbs?)

The lower end of the Alpha size range is supposed to be very light.

The lower end of the Alpha size range is supposed to be very light.

Yes my understanding is that Alpha is extremely flexible. It is up to GM as to what it does with Alpha.

No, I don't mind the grille opening on the Terrain because it represents a truck, regardless of the manufacturer.

To prove my point, I really like this too:

2011-Ram-1500-Adventurer.jpg

See, there's no G M C on that :lol:

And I REALLY like this one even more:

2011_jeep_grand_cherokee_black_front_main.jpg

Again, no G M C letters on that one too :smilewide:

But these...

2012-ford-focus-photo-00000201.jpg

Picture-2011-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-MR_02-588x450.jpg

scion-fr-s-concept-01.jpg

NO WAY!! :omfg:

But one car that gets the "pass" from me is this one:

2011_dodge_charger_images_main.jpg

I can't deny that I have an attraction to that car :P

Call it what you want, but most large, gaping fish-mouthed styled cars look like the designers just quit on a Friday afternoon to me. So much more can be done with the styling that an open mouth grille, or a silly "smiling" grille like the Mazdas have, is just a shame in my own opinion.