Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Portion Control

darndot

I’m sure you have thought of it before; the car you would buy if you won the lottery. I’m also sure that you probably have a picture of it in your head right now.

So tell me, how many people do you think, would now have their minds eye filled with a Hybrid vehicle, or even a true EV?

How about something that is just smaller and more efficient than what you have now? Maybe a few extra hands would have been raised then, but I still would not expect even near a majority. Probably not even half.

More at: MotorGnomes

I would build (or commission to build) a 1st gen Firebird or a '67/'68 Bonneville as an EV.

I'd still buy an AMG CL65, and a bunch of pre-2009 GM classics.

I'd build a racetrack and sponsor a new series of Cruze demolition derbies.

Hey Don,

Welcome to C&G!

The only ones I'd consider purchasing:

2011 Dodge Charger

1989 Caprice Classic

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * meet_07.30.11_Cold.Treat *

MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Ever wonder if it's all for you?" __ Red Hot Chili Peppers __ 'Can't Stop'

I went with portion control over the expense, complication and environmental harm of an EV. I'm very happy with my choice, latest tank, 35.2 MPG, and I paid $16,111 for the car, which is simple, fun and well equipped.

Still love the old stuff, too, and if I had a place to keep it and the money to maintain it properly, I'd own a weekend/summer toy in the blink of an eye.

I think I would end up doing a catch and release. If I won the lottery, I would have to buy and sell cars for a living. I am sure my wife would set a max number I could own at one time. So I would have to buy a Tucker, and then sell it. Buy a 365 Porsche and sell it for a split window Corvette.

With my luck I would loose money with each car.

I'm trying not to think about the scenario where I'd have to downsize from the Cobalt. I'd rather just use my bike more. I've got a trunk rack and can easily attach some pannier bags in addition to the bag I have now.

If push came to shove and I had to go smaller, I'd pick a Mini or a Fiat 500. None of the other B segment and below cars appeal to me.

Not to be negative, but it's positively shocking how little I care about electric personal transportation modules.

When EVs have performance comparable to a normal car, can be driven at least 350 miles between charge ups, can be recharged in under 5 minutes (comparable to a gas tank fill up), when charging points are as ubiquitous as gas stations, and can be driven for under $50/week (a typical gas fill up for me), then I might have some interest...

My current dream car is the Karma, which is more or less an EV.

But I practically would just like something more fuel efficient than my Sunfire. I already drive as economically as I possibly can and I only average about 31 mpg.

I also like the idea of converting classics to electric or hybrid drive. I'd love to do an AMC Eagle or some pony car.

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

I really think some of you need to drive a modern EV first. I know you're all about the sound and "feel" of a V8 gas engine, but the full thrust of something like a Tesla Roadster is nothing to shake a stick at. Even the Volt in sport mode can go with gusto for what is essentially a 4-door family hatchback.

Even the Volt in sport mode can go with gusto for what is essentially a 4-door family hatchback.

This I can agree with, finally. Had a chance to (very briefly) drive a Volt on Friday. There's something to be said for having all your available torque at your disposal, whenever you want it.

Some exterior styling bits on the Volt don't agree with me, but it's squireled its way onto my list.

I think I want to wait till I can be sure the Volt won't burn down my house.

Knob and tube? Pennies for fuses? Aluminum wiring? Sounds like you need to dream of Mike Holmes inspecting your house, not a new EV.

I'm already uber-paranoid and I don't fear the Volt any more than any gasoline powered car.

Now, shorting and catching fire during an accident, well that's different... but I doubt you are likely to have a car accident in your garage.

I really think some of you need to drive a modern EV first. I know you're all about the sound and "feel" of a V8 gas engine, but the full thrust of something like a Tesla Roadster is nothing to shake a stick at. Even the Volt in sport mode can go with gusto for what is essentially a 4-door family hatchback.

Hmmm...

While some EVs may be impressive in one fashion or another (Volt/Tesla), none hit the sweet spot for me as cars.

The Tesla costs too much, has so-so styling, and little everyday usefulness. The Volt, like any "4-door family hatchback", holds no interest for me beyond its curiosity factor.

I might admire the tech, but I don't love the cars.

I am all for those who do love them having them available, however.

Hmmm...

While some EVs may be impressive in one fashion or another (Volt/Tesla), none hit the sweet spot for me as cars.

The Tesla costs too much, has so-so styling, and little everyday usefulness. The Volt, like any "4-door family hatchback", holds no interest for me beyond its curiosity factor.

Oh I wasn't implying the cars themselves would be of any interest to you... but if the El Camino were released with only the Voltec powertrain (appropriately sized of course) I could see you still waiting in line for one and actually coming to like it.

• Disagree 1

A production Cadillac Converj has home run written all over it.

Hmmm...

Oh I wasn't implying the cars themselves would be of any interest to you... but if the El Camino were released with only the Voltec powertrain (appropriately sized of course) I could see you still waiting in line for one and actually coming to like it.

Maybe.

The devil would be in the details. And, it would have to be damned impressive in all respects.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings