El Caminos real and imagined

This one is thought to be a GM prototype, but there is some dispute.

I have more of it somewhere.

Yeah, I'd dispute it in a heartbeat. The taillights are on the '66 GP "Camino" are stolen from a '71 Vega wagon.

Speaking of Vega wagons... I'm surprised that I can't recall an El Vega conversion...

This one is thought to be a GM prototype, but there is some dispute.

I have more of it somewhere.

Yeah, I'd dispute it in a heartbeat. The taillights are on the '66 GP "Camino" are stolen from a '71 Vega wagon.

Speaking of Vega wagons... I'm surprised that I can't recall an El Vega conversion...

IIRC, the story goes that the car was a nearly-completed prototype finished much later by a private owner. That might account for the tails, but I can't vouch for it.

IIRC, the story goes that the car was a nearly-completed prototype finished much later by a private owner. That might account for the tails, but I can't vouch for it.

I understand... don't shoot the messenger...

I'd also doubt it because El Caminos simply didn't sell in massive numbers early on... so there is little reason for Pontiac to desire a version... especially when they had their hands full with the GTO, Banshee and Firebird in the '66 era.

The Grand Am-based Elky made more sense since the El Camino was coming off its best years.

I wouldn't shoot the messenger, the info on the tails is a nugget I didn't catch and I'm glad for it.

However, Pontiac wanted their own version of the Camino from just about day one. So the story could be true. I really couldn't tell you.

You really need to get out of the house even if it raining! LOL!

Just kidding.. Thanks for the photo's even though it makes me miss my Sprint SP.

Ha!

No argument there, it took forever to go through all of that. But the idea occured to me with all of the recent buzz, so I just went for it.

Great link on the XT-2 concept origins and some pictures: http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/stories/lookback/xt2/looking-back-at-1989-chevrolet-xt-2-concept.html

I was a big '80s Pontiac concept car fan by 1989.. the the TranSport ('86), Pursuit ('87), Banshee ('88), Stinger ('89) and all of the '90s concept that followed. I got hooked on most of the Chevy ones too, but not like the '89 Chevy XT-2 concept. I LOVED that one the most from Chevrolet and was hoping to see it come to the light of day. But alas, GM never produced many of the '80s and early '90s concepts.

PPG_XT2_Tsm.jpg

ChevroletXT2.jpg

Wow, that XT2 is awesome.

It's all third gen Camaro under the skin, powered by a V6 as I recall...

The XT-2 was powered by a cutting-edge 360-horsepower / 315 pounds-feet of torque 4.5-liter TPI V-6 engine with a 6 speed manual transmission and Corvette suspension. In comparison, a 1989 Chevrolet IROC Camaro with a 5.7-liter L98 V-8 was rated at 240-hp / 345 lbs.-ft.

Performance-wise, The XT-2 was capable of zero to 60 mph in 6-seconds and running the ¼-mile in 13.1-seconds. That's about average performance for a V-6 sports car today but it was stupendously fast for the late-eighties.

From the link I included in my post above. Great memory, Camino!

• 3 years later...
Guest Bruce Kupfer

I have a truck titled as a 67 pontiac truck.Looks very simalar to the picture.Ihad to use 64,65 El camino parts from back of the doors back and 66,67 GTO,Lemans parts for the front end, has pontiac dash .The vin number does not pullup at Pontiac.Your guess is as good as mine.I bought it from a guy who worked at Pontiac in Michigan he told me a simalar story so I bought it.

I have a truck titled as a 67 pontiac truck.Looks very simalar to the picture.Ihad to use 64,65 El camino parts from back of the doors back and 66,67 GTO,Lemans parts for the front end, has pontiac dash .The vin number does not pullup at Pontiac.Your guess is as good as mine.I bought it from a guy who worked at Pontiac in Michigan he told me a simalar story so I bought it.

Interesting. Would love to see pics of that beast.