Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Some bad news on the El Camino

Joel Ewanick and I tweet (twitter) back and forth to each other, here is what I tweeted him, and here was his latest response to me ...

GMEmployee <------- This is me on twitter

@JoelEwanick Just in case you want to give product to GMC, a picture is worth a 1000 words ... ;-) http://twitpic.com/4yadxe

JoelEwanick

@GMEmployee where did u find this pic? Very cool, very unlikely that we would bring El Camino for sure not the GMC version

Feel free to go to twitter and look yourselves.

On twitter for me you would go to http://www.twitter.com/gmemployee

For Joel you would go to http://www.twitter.com/joelewanick

Its kind of a mashed up sentence that sounds like he was typing one sentence and then typed another... like he skipped a thought... typical of people who think faster than they can ever type. Or he reversed his clauses at the end.

Taking the sentence at face value with the double negative, it sounds like no on the El Camino... yes on a GMC... and this is not likely, IMHO.

Gotta proofread your tweets.

Doesn't quite qualify as news in that confused form.

But I will say this, I have it on very good authority (an eyewitness) that the G8ST showcar was dressed as a GMC before it got the Pontiac nose.

If it comes as a GMC... well, that's just a bad idea.

We all know it's an El Camino, so GM might as well put the proper badge on it.

But I will say this, I have it on very good authority (an eyewitness) that the G8ST showcar was dressed as a GMC before it got the Pontiac nose.

Gotta agree here...GMC would be a rough fit......

From a product stand point the vehicle would be a good niche vehicle for GMC in a low volume and higher price range. GMC is now becoming the upscale truck specialty division and it need new and different products like the Granite and others to set itself appart if it is to remain relivent. I see pricing this as a Chevy might be difficult as this is not going to be a cheap car even if it is a V6. Even as a Pontiac I never expected it to really be optioned as most people would want for anything under $30K and closer to $35K or more. Not really a good Chevy price.

On the other hand from a marketing stand point it would be so much better as a know name from a know division. If it is not a El Camino people will all wonder why. Too few people knew there was even a Sprint even back in the 70's let alone today. God knows I had to explain so many times why I had GMC emblems on my El Camino SS years ago.

As for the any idea of both a Chevy and GMC version that is the worst idea.

Either way has positives and negitives. If I had to choose I would take the maketing side and go Chevy with it. But that is just my take as it is a tough choice either way if they so choose to bring it in.

My only hope is GM really has some kind of plan here as they do not need to make a lot of noise on this and then not come through again. If they are going to talk about it then do it and if not shut the hell up and let it go. Camino is not the only fan that is getting tired of the tease. It is time for GM to put up or shut up on the Ute idea.

Nice going using one of the most uninspired El Caminos/Sprints to nudge the idea. :rolleyes:

It must be a disease at GM, they always pick the worst possible images.

Then we are in agreement, I don't have a dog in this fight anyway. Let the Ute idea die away in North America ...

As far as nudging an idea, Joel liked the pic, but then again I don't normally see any ideas coming from NJ at all, and doubt I ever will ... :smilewide:

I see this not as a vehicle that will make or break GM either way. I do see it as a car that could help fill out a line up with some holes in it till they get new product out to help the remaining divions.

While it may not be a home run I feel if they can do a SSR they could do a limited run of these for a couple years at the least. The work was done for Pontiac so there would be little investment there. The only real issues are how many do they need to in and make a profit. The exchange rate and how much they need to sell it for here.

But again there is a lot more to this than we ever consider here. Our jobs are not on the line if we make a wrong call.

Did you see a picture? I hope it wasn't something like this:

post-418-0-64278600-1305658902.jpg

No picture, but I suspect that it looked quite alot like that.

No picture, but I suspect that it looked quite alot like that.

Hell just take the GMC off and one could just slap on the cheap gold bow tie I pulled off my HHR and replaced with a billet aluminum one. I never understood the cheap gold emblem that gets crappy anyways. That is all GM would have done anyway.

Maybe GM should just sell it with the two emblems and who ever buys it can just slap the one on they want.

If I ever got one I would find a Holden Lion for mine. I have a guy local here with a GTO converted to a Holden less the left hand steering. It is kind of cool.

Edited by hyperv6

At a time when the new Colorado is coming out, where is the need for an El Camino? Seriously, there is a reason GM ditched the El Camino and Caballero in 1987: most likely that the compact pickups were (and are) simply more profitable.:smilewide:

So, let me get this straight....

GM puts feelers out to it's biggest forums about the possibility of a Camino, then starts a Facebook page about the Camino; yet it isn't re-introducing the Camino?

I mean; I'm not the least bit surprised. *shrugs*

Same drama $h!; different day.

I am a long time Camino fan but never really paid much attention to the production numbers. I looked them up and the old car did pretty well most years.

It looks as if there was a strong market for the car most years accept for when it tapered off into the 80's were it still did ok till the last two years.

I would think and hope there is still a market there yet. But the auto market has shifted greatly as has the truck market. Will people still be there to eat up the kind of numbers GM wants to sell. Also can they price it well enough to attract buyers. Two seater cars have a limited market and I don't Think Holden offers a Bench?

After the sales are done with the retro buyers who want to relive the past will there be enough new buyers willing to forgo a full size truck for one of these?

I hope there is but at least there is little risk for GM if they did do this. Lets face it the work was already done for Pontiac and even if they only sell 10K units the Holden market will eat up all the rest.

Check out the numbers I would think this car is worth the risk and even if it was only around 4-5 years it would at least pay back some of the investment they spent on the G8 ST.

http://www.chevelles.com/elcamino/ec_total.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Are El Camino fans willing to pay the exchange rate for an Aussie built version? The G8 and new GTO were slammed for the high prices. And large rebates are not profitable. GM is not a charity.

Your premise is still false, no matter how many times you repeat it.

Even with out the mark up's I still expect the V8 Camaino if built would be over $30,000. Depending on how it is optioned it could come close to $40,000.

If we are lucky they will also offer the V6 at just under $30K.

I expect GM dose not plan on selling alot of these. Since they only had plans on just over 30,000 G8's I would expect they will seek 10,000-15,000 Utes to sell. Who knows if this works out this could create new plans for a Utes on other platforms in America say on a Alpha at a lower price. But that is a big if and we can dream.

A base Mustang V8 is $29.3k

A base Camaro V8 is $31k

A base Tundra V8 is $29.3k

$30k is just about the minimum point of entry for V8 anything but work trucks these days. Saying the El Camino V8 would be over $30k is like pointing out that the sky is blue.

• Agree 1

Even with out the mark up's I still expect the V8 Camaino if built would be over $30,000. Depending on how it is optioned it could come close to $40,000.

There have been versions of the Ute/Commodore which are worth well past $40K... but they would be special items, akin to the new ZL-1 Camaro. Of course, this is what GM legend was once made of.

• 2 weeks later...

Are El Camino fans willing to pay the exchange rate for an Aussie built version? The G8 and new GTO were slammed for the high prices. And large rebates are not profitable. GM is not a charity.

Your premise is still false, no matter how many times you repeat it.

Well, GM went Chapter 11 and is still under Gov't control. They can't afford to do 'expirements' and end up losing money. It's notgonnahappen.

After the 04-06 GTO getting trashed by 'purists', why bother? All the old timers would complain that 'It looks too plain' and younger buyers cant afford $40K.

Edited by Chicagoland

Yeah, still a false premise.

GM made money on the 04-06 GTO.

As for the Ute, they have the capacity to build at most 10k of them - selling that many would be all but automatic.

That, and the fact that there would be near -zero investment required to bring it here makes your concerns on that front moot.

Who would buy an El Camino now? Virtually all car-based trucklets (which an El Camino was) fail. That new Colorado (assuming GM builds them right the first time) will fill in that niche well.

What we need is a RWD sedan that will sell, and then you can tack the El Camino onto that platform.

• 2 weeks later...

What we need is a RWD sedan that will sell, and then you can tack the El Camino onto that platform.

You mean like the Caprice? Isn't the Ute already on the same platform as the Caprice? So exactly what you described has already happened, they just need to offer the Caprice to the general public.

I do expect the short wheel base Chevy to be here 2014 or just after the new upgrades are done to the Zeta. If there is to be a Camaino it will be then. As for now I would not get too excited if they say it will not happen as they said the same about the Cruze coupe and now look they are now having it under consideration again.

Either there is a lot of fighting and indicision in GM right now or they are playing a lot of games with the public. I think it may be a little of both. GM may be on a better path laid down by Lutz but Bob and some other GM people have said there is still some who want to go back to the old ways. They are still fighting the urge to give people what they want and give them what GM thinks they need.