Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Chevy Impala LT

Over the last couple weeks, I've had two Impalas from Alamo for rent..over Memorial Day weekend, 3 days with a white w/ neutral interior one in the Indianapolis area and this past weekend a black w/ black interior one in the Denver area.

I had driven an '07 Impala a few years ago as a rental, these were pretty similar.

Pros--spacious inside, big trunk, reasonably quiet and smooth. Overall, the ergonomics and seat adjustment were fine for me, the steering feel, brakes, etc seemed ok. Outward visibility was better than the Malibu I drove last year.

Cons--a few quirks..the turn signal/wiper stalk combo was odd to me, I found myself turning on the signals when trying to wipe... I guess I'm used to Chrysler's two stalk setup (lights on left, wipey things on right). Power supply aka lighter was a little hard to find, hidden in the dark at the front of the console.

I kept forgetting to release the parking brake, not used to a pedal brake w/o a hand release.

I have driven a few cars w/ the GM black tie radio, but for some reason keep reaching to the top corner knob for volume instead of the center knob. But the steering wheel controls worked fine.

The door locks kept locking when I shifted into reverse and unlocking when I shifted to park...loud and annoying. Don't like that feature.

All in all, a perfectly adequate car..

The door locks kept locking when I shifted into reverse and unlocking when I shifted to park...loud and annoying. Don't like that feature.

You can turn that off and or program the lock and unlock points (key out, park, etc..) in the settings section of the DIC. There's actually lots of stuff to program in there- even the volume of the turn signal clicking.

You can turn that off and or program the lock and unlock points (key out, park, etc..) in the settings section of the DIC. There's actually lots of stuff to program in there- even the volume of the turn signal clicking.

I figured that was possible...just didn't look into it. My Jeep is like that.

Depends on the GM car. Probably more likely on newer GM cars... but I know many of the early "automatic locking" GM cars, this feature can NOT be disabled.

Depends on the GM car. Probably more likely on newer GM cars... but I know many of the early "automatic locking" GM cars, this feature can NOT be disabled.

Such is the case in my '95 Riviera, after awhile I got used to it though, so much so that now I don't even notice it.

Cons--a few quirks..the turn signal/wiper stalk combo was odd to me, I found myself turning on the signals when trying to wipe

I don't know if I'd call it a con necessarily, it's just different. I do know what you mean though as I went from a Buick to a Hyundai, and I kept turning the lights on thinking I was going to turn the wipers on (the wipers in the Buick were the left stalk which require twisting to turn on, and in the Hyundai they're on the right, which require knocking the stalk vertically to turn on, twisting to increase/decrease the intermittent speeds). It didn't take long to get used to it, but for the life of me I still can't get used to a floor shifter. I reach for the column at least once/day ;)

I'm assuming that can be modified through the DIC as some mentioned here. It seems to have the same DIC as my parents' Lucerne and I'm able to alter anything down to the volume of the startup chime.

• 11 months later...

Had another Impala rental this Memorial Day Weekend, and like Memorial Day Weekend last year, it was white..but this time w/ a sunroof, rear spoiler, and a dark charcoal interior...picked it up at Chicago O'Hare Friday afternoon and put about 500 uneventful miles on it. Nice cold air con in warm, humid Illinois/Indiana weather. Had to jog my memory, but I think this was the 10th Impala of this generation I've rented over the last few years..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Any changes you have noticed over the years, such as the switch from 3400v6 with a 4AT to 3.6v6 with a 6AT?

Not really..the main thing I've noticed is the deletion of the chrome strip on the decklid and the grille texture change.

Both the 3400 and 3900 are smoother engines than the 3.6 when driven in a normal fashion despite what the buff rags will tell you about pushrods and the like. It is only when you crest 5,500 rpm or so does the DOHC make any difference on smoothness.

• 2 weeks later...

Both the 3400 and 3900 are smoother engines than the 3.6 when driven in a normal fashion despite what the buff rags will tell you about pushrods and the like. It is only when you crest 5,500 rpm or so does the DOHC make any difference on smoothness.

Exactly...and the Impala isn't exactly going to see a lot of track day use any time soon....

The only problem with that is that the perception of DOHC smoothness has been ingrained in the market's consciousness for about 30 years now. The 3900 may well be a better engine, but pushrod engines no longer sell outside of trucks. Gotta go with what the consumer wants, even if we know better.

Basically yes. I've driven numerous Impalas of this generation with both the 3.5L and the 3.6L and you really hardly even notice the extra 80 horsepower unless you absolutely flatten it. The 3.6L sounds nicer at high revs but honestly the 3500 is just a better engine. You do notice the 6-Speed transmission though, having the extra two gears is nice.

I also noticed more NVH on the 2012 model, both in the form of engine vibration at lower RPM (the 3.5L and 3.9L run smoother at idle), and the rather intrusive and annoying whistling noise when you dig into the throttle to get going, merge or pass, which I believe has something to do with the direct injection system.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

I also noticed more NVH on the 2012 model, both in the form of engine vibration at lower RPM (the 3.5L and 3.9L run smoother at idle), and the rather intrusive and annoying whistling noise when you dig into the throttle to get going, merge or pass, which I believe has something to do with the direct injection system.

I've noticed the same thing on a 2012

• 2 months later...

Here's a couple pics of the red '12 Impala LT I had over the long weekend in Ohio.

_____rHuWCreefurHe-vi.jpg

It was rainy last night, got into quite a bit of mud this morning coming up the hilly, curvy portion of the 3/4 mile driveway...

I had a relaxing weekend visiting family...spent some time hanging out by the ponds, didn't go fishing, though..

Saw 4 deer strolling in the high grass near this pond yesterday afternoon...

Even w/ the drought they've had this summer, it's still very green there...

• 9 months later...

Had a silver '13 Impala LT w/ 20k miles on it for this past weekend's rental in Colorado. Had a sunroof. Got my head sunburned driving w/ it open. Enjoyed going up in the high country where it is cool--50 degrees and windy at the top of Loveland Pass. Drove about 250 miles from Denver out along I-70 and back on Saturday. Used less than half a tank of gas. Plenty of power on steep grades. This was the 5th or 6th Impala rental I've had in the last 2 years..always a pleasant experience.

Loveland Pass Summit (11,990 feet elevation)

988877_10201336053233210_1934247271_n.jp

Dillon Reservior, Dillon, CO

998989_10201336133555218_1658445173_n.jp

I don't know what they did with the seats, but the seating position is no longer comfortable for me in these.

This one had manual seats, I found it hard to adjust the backrest--either was too vertical or too angled back. Coupled w/ a steering wheel that didn't telescope, I found I used the Italian style driving position... (arms straight out).