Buick Regal GS Gets Rated

114 replies to this topic

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,898 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Been thinking about the weight thing in modern cars lately, myself.

That's another area we can hardly point to as progress when old cars are so much lighter when of a similar size.

Something has to happen on that front industry-wide.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

Sonata 2.0T Limited: 274 hp, 33 mpg, $27,145
Regal GS: 270 hpm 28 mpg, $35,000+???

Why would anyone pay $8,000 more for a Regal? I agree with Camino that the car is pointless. I don't think the Regal with any engine is a bad car, but it is just too expensive for what you get. $30k for a 184 hp engine? No thanks.

Lamar

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Been thinking about the weight thing in modern cars lately, myself.

That's another area we can hardly point to as progress when old cars are so much lighter when of a similar size.

Something has to happen on that front industry-wide.

It would be a start.

Can't get away from the safety systems mandated by the feds, though, so reduction in the weight of chassis and body components ends up being the way to go. Some of the more upscale marques (Audi, Jaguar) have already shown progress on that. Others have plans to in the future.

GM could stand to add some lightness company-wide, and not just to Buick.

Lamar

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Why would anyone pay $8,000 more for a Regal? I agree with Camino that the car is pointless. I don't think the Regal with any engine is a bad car, but it is just too expensive for what you get. $30k for a 184 hp engine? No thanks.

Premium cache. Buick still has a smidgen of it. Hyundai never has.

Also, good luck finding a Sonata 2.0T with a manual.

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • 28,898 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

I just started a thread about this in the industry forum.

I question the safety regs as the source. If true, then ways to lighten the safety equiptment has to be a priority. And, if the regs are way off-base, they need to be reformed to comply with reality.

Lamar

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

I just started a thread about this in the industry forum.

I question the safety regs as the source. If true, then ways to lighten the safety equiptment has to be a priority.

Agreed.

And, if the regs are way off-base, they need to be reformed to comply with reality.

This IS the government we're talking about here... but so as not to completely derail discussion of the Regal, I'll continue with my thoughts over there. I have questions myself.

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

Audi A4 2.0T: 210 hp 30 mpg, $32,300+???

Why would anyone pay $6,000 more for an A4? I agree with Camino that the car is pointless. I don't think the A4 with any engine is a bad car, but it is just too expensive for what you get. $32k for a 200 hp engine? No thanks.

Fixed it for you. The point Camino is making is not about cheapness and more hp, please read the arguments carefully.

frogger

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hmmmm well the Sonata is a good car, the Regal is better in all ways but economy and space. I would choose the A4 Quattro over the GS in a heartbeat though. 35K FWD does not compute.

Z-06

Ultra Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

^ Problem is that $32,000 Audi is a FWD. And Buick GS has something that Audi does not to fix the FWD demons - Hiper Strut Suspension - reviews of which have been pretty good when it comes to driving dynamics.

Lamar

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

^ Problem is that $32,000 Audi is a FWD. And Buick GS has something that Audi does not to fix the FWD demons - Hiper Strut Suspension - reviews of which have been pretty good when it comes to driving dynamics.

Spend another grand and get a 6MT and quattro. :P

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Premium cache. Buick still has a smidgen of it. Hyundai never has.

Also, good luck finding a Sonata 2.0T with a manual.

Buick in 2010 had the highest average buyer age of any car brand at 62 years old. It is still an older person's car, not to mention Hyundai makes more expensive luxury cars than Buick. The top Buick sedan is a $30k LaCrosse, Hyundai has sedans priced well above that. I'd say the Hyundai brand has a better image than Buick.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,487 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

The A4 has a far better interior than any Buick, the A4 interior is better than what is in the CTS. I'm not really an A4 fan, the A4 is worth it's price tag. The Infiniti G37 is a pretty good deal too to get 330 hp RWD and a 7 speed tranny. I had one as a rental once, and it is a fun to drive car, probably not something I'd buy because I don't care for the styling of it, but a good car none the less. I just don't think the Regal is worth a price tag that is similar to a G37 or A4 or even an MKZ or Acura.

Lamar

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

Buick in 2010 had the highest average buyer age of any car brand at 62 years old. It is still an older person's car, not to mention Hyundai makes more expensive luxury cars than Buick. The top Buick sedan is a $30k LaCrosse, Hyundai has sedans priced well above that. I'd say the Hyundai brand has a better image than Buick.

Because of two upscale entries, none over three years old, that currently barely sell, Hyundai should be considered more premium than Buick? (notice I'm referring to market position, not brand image... different matter)

No. :thumbsdown:

Because for the Genesis and Equus that elevate it, Hyundai still has the Accent and Elantra that negate whatever cache those two cars bring. AND the reputation for building nothing but econoboxes, which still persists even through the current generation of cars.

balthazar

Yoda of Vintage cars

• Members
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

And the well-earned & recent reputation for building utter crap since their debut here.

regfootball

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Sonata is a good car but drive both sonata and regal and it's pretty damn obvious the higher quality feel of the regal.

Consider now also the sonata hybrid getting panned for poor execution. Hyundai only has so much cache on the sonata.

Most buff books have said regal is just a few powertrain and suspension fine tweaks from turning into a really well done car. I met a regal owner who said the adjustable ride feature transforms the car. GS should perform well. Not everyone wants a BMW or Mercedes ......or Audi.

People blow money on turds like the maxima....and regal will still prob outsell many German competing vehicles.

Biggest knock on regal is curb weight and we all know that current poems have been porky. Non 5 star cars are unsellable however and the IIHS and insurance industry have a sterling grip on the buyers influence.

riviera74

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Sonata is a good car but drive both sonata and regal and it's pretty damn obvious the higher quality feel of the regal.

Consider now also the sonata hybrid getting panned for poor execution. Hyundai only has so much cache on the sonata.

Most buff books have said regal is just a few powertrain and suspension fine tweaks from turning into a really well done car. I met a regal owner who said the adjustable ride feature transforms the car. GS should perform well. Not everyone wants a BMW or Mercedes ......or Audi.

People blow money on turds like the maxima....and regal will still prob outsell many German competing vehicles.

Biggest knock on regal is curb weight and we all know that current poems have been porky. Non 5 star cars are unsellable however and the IIHS and insurance industry have a sterling grip on the buyers influence.

Sterling grip? The IIHS and insurance companies have buyer thinking on 24/7 lockdown! Safety = more weight at a certain cost. There is a reason Jaguars can be very safe and weigh less: no one pays less than $45K on a new one.

SAmadei

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:21 AM

Meh. Audi will have something like HiPer soon enough, if they deem it necessary.

What kills me is that every GM FWD fanboy has been talking about how torque steer was a thing of the past. Then HiPer Strut shows up.... and now the line is the same... torque steer is a thing of the past. Well, the former wasn't the case if GM felt the need to make HiPer, why should I believe the latter?

Until HiPer allows me to steer with the throttle and keeps the TC from kicking in and killing the engine's power at anything more than 66%, I'm not impressed. Physics is physics.

Bimmer325

OSV Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

And the well-earned & recent reputation for building utter crap since their debut here.

Hyundai has reached a point where virtually every model they sell is at or near the top of its class. Buick has the Lacrosse, Lucerne and Enclave. The 'Regal' was designed and engineered by Opel. Let's not pretend Buick developed this car.

Hyundai has the Genesis and the $60k Equus now...Buick should be looking very closely at what they're doing.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hyundai has reached a point where virtually every model they sell is at or near the top of its class. Buick has the Lacrosse, Lucerne and Enclave. The 'Regal' was designed and engineered by Opel. Let's not pretend Buick developed this car.

Hyundai has the Genesis and the $60k Equus now...Buick should be looking very closely at what they're doing.

Make that Lacrosse and Enclave...Lucerne is over.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar, 19 June 2011 - 11:35 AM.

regfootball

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

LaCrosse needs big interior improvements. Aside from that, its a good car. Interior materials, assembly and design needs enough of a makeover so the cabin is more on par with the Regal and not have issues like really cheap looking wood, messy controls, cheaper plastic, and door pulls you can't find.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users