Ecotec To Go Turbo With New 3 & 4-Cylinder Engines

Ecotec To Go Turbo With New 3 & 4-Cylinder Engines

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

October 12, 2011

post-10485-0-88810300-1318455225.png

General Motors is following the trend of turbocharging small-displacement engines to help boost fuel economy. At a press event today, the company announced plans to develop a new range of turbocharged three and four cylinder engines. The engines will range in displacement from 1.0 liters to 1.5 liters.

The engines will be will be lightweight and utilize direct fuel injection, turbocharging and be “alternative fuel capable”. GM hasn't said what engines will be replaced by the new EcoTec motors.

“Our customers around the world agree we need to reduce our dependence on petroleum and reduce vehicle carbon emissions. We are working aggressively on vehicle electrification and other technologies, but the most immediate progress will come from continually improving the internal combustion engine,” said Jim Federico, vehicle line executive for GM global small cars and electric vehicles.

Production of the new engines will begin sometime in the middle of decade, and could reach two million units annually by 2020.

Press Release is Below

Future Chevrolets to Benefit from Small Gas Engine Family

Plan reduces manufacturing complexity by consolidating three engine families into one

2011-10-12 - DETROIT – General Motors will develop an all-new global family of small-displacement Ecotec gasoline engines over the next several years that will give customers in markets around the world improved fuel economy, higher quality, better performance and reduced carbon dioxide emissions.

The program could encompass more than 2 million engines a year by the end of the decade.

The new global engine family will comprise a range of three- and four-cylinder engines – in displacements from 1.0L to 1.5L – engineered and manufactured in multiple regions for global use. They will feature lightweight design and advanced technologies such as direct injection, turbocharging and alternative fuel compatibility to provide customers with both efficiency and on-demand performance. The new engine family also will be designed to reduce noise, vibration and harshness, a common trait of smaller engines.

“Our customers around the world agree we need to reduce our dependence on petroleum and reduce vehicle carbon emissions,” said Jim Federico, vehicle line executive for GM global small cars and electric vehicles. “We are working aggressively on vehicle electrification and other technologies, but the most immediate progress will come from continually improving the internal combustion engine.”

The global engine family consolidation is part of GM’s larger product development strategy to reduce engineering and manufacturing complexity and cost while improving competitiveness, efficiency and quality.

For example, to reduce engineering and manufacturing complexity, the engines will be designed and built using a modular approach with interchangeable global components. This also provides more flexibility for global vehicle programs.

Production is expected to begin mid-decade. The engines will be introduced in GM global vehicle programs across multiple vehicle architectures in various regions, through the end of the decade. Manufacturing locations and production timing will be announced later.

The new engine family is the result of an engineering partnership between GM and the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. (SAIC), Shanghai General Motors (SGM) and the Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center (PATAC).

The new engine family is the result of an engineering partnership between GM and the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. (SAIC), Shanghai General Motors (SGM) and the Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center (PATAC).

Ahhh gains from trade.

Now they need to do the same with a new line of compact DI Turbo V6's to replace today's NA ones! Then for Cadillac use the largest of these new engines in 2.0L I4-3.0L V6 and 4.0L V8 sizes with DI and Turbo Charging! I could see a future Chevy Impala with an opt 2.5L DI Turbo V6 with 270HP and a base 1.5L DI Turbo I4 with around 200HP! With Buick using a larger 1.8L I4 and 2.8L V6 to replace today's larger engines! With E assist these engines could be the powerful and efficient future for GM car models!

Shoot, what was the name of that weird British guy in like 2003. The one who kept saying that a 4 cylinder Corvette would be "tops"? Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Oh yeah..I remember him...was delusional. A small 4cyl Chevy sportscar would be cool, like something Kappa based, separate from the Corvette.

I guess this means I will be buying full size trucks for the rest of my life as I cannot handle driving a microcar..

I'm sure GM will have something bigger for you to drive.

Of course, it will be 5 foot long, 4 foot wide, 30 feet tall, 7000 pounds and will have a 3 cyl. (The 4 cyls will be for the fullsize trucks.) EPA will rate its 570 cubic foot interior as full size. Enjoy!

• Agree 1

Shoot, what was the name of that weird British guy in like 2003. The one who kept saying that a 4 cylinder Corvette would be "tops"? Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Oh yeah..I remember him...was delusional. A small 4cyl Chevy sportscar would be cool, like something Kappa based, separate from the Corvette.

Wasn't that Chromium Steel???

(God, I've been here way to long :P )

Its about time they move to a 3-cylinder. A 3-cylinder engine is more frictionally efficient and better for turbocharging than a 4-cylinder of the same displacement. This is because 12-valves instead of 16 and less frictional surfaces with 3 cylinders translates to lower parasitic losses and superior engine efficiency. Also, because 3-cylinder engines do not have cylinders at the top and bottom of their strokes at any one time, they do not have the problem of exhaust pulses feeding back into the another cylinder in the valve overlap period -- a problem which requires a twin-scroll turbo and segregated manifold to mitigate.

The Cruze for instance will be better served with a 1.3~1.5 liter turbo 3 than its current turbo 4. Fuel economy will improve, power will improve and engine response will be better. What many people do not realize is that going to 3/4th the cylinder count generally yields higher fuel economy benefits than going to 3/4th the displacement!

The Cruze for instance will be better served with a 1.3~1.5 liter turbo 3 than its current turbo 4. Fuel economy will improve, power will improve and engine response will be better. What many people do not realize is that going to 3/4th the cylinder count generally yields higher fuel economy benefits than going to 3/4th the displacement!

As long as it's efficient, reasonably quiet and smooth w/ decent response, I suspect most consumers won't care how many dirty bits are under the hood of their transportation appliance.

Know what? I want GM to make V8's mandatory in all its vehicles. Then they can go bankrupt in three years and bought out by a Californian-Chinese conglomerate, which will only make the Groove, Spark and Trax, with a version of the Trax that replaces the rear seat with a box, all complete with 1.3L 3-Cylinder engines, with the option of a turbo for the SS models. And that will be all you can have.

No really, that's what I want.

Because right now... buying these compact vehicles and smaller engines is a choice. You don't have to buy them. You can still get a V8 in quite a few GM vehicles, or a powerful V6. These vehicles are what'll allow GM to continue to produce the Camaro, Corvette and ATS into the future.

But hey, since offering these engines for the 75% people who don't need or WANT a stonking V8 is apparently leading to a sad future anyways, let's just do away with anything 'good' now. That way, instead of complaining about the choice of having a V8/V6 or an I3, you can just have the I3. Then people's complaints may actually be far less moronic.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

The point is that a plodding sameness overshadows the entire lineup. It is nothing more than several sizes of the same FWD sedan.

It is a cancer.

All I'd like to see is a balance.

Right now, GM has exactly one offering that even comes close to what I would buy in a car.

That's pathetic.

It's a one-size-fits-all, Walmart mentality.

And it sucks.

While it sucks, I'm going to point that out.

Edited by Camino LS6
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

You can -1 me all you want, but you know what I'm saying is true.

If you don't have Caddy or Corvette money to spend, Camaro is the only RWD car left that GM builds.

And that's not enough by any stretch, especially when variety is a boat ride away.

True. It was worse at GM around '03 though...no non-Cadillac, non-Corvette RWD cars then.

It's worse at Ford--the Mustang is the only RWD Ford NA now builds, period. And Chrysler only has 3 RWD models available.

Not a lot of choice...but, for the general public, there are plenty of white or silver FWD 4 cyl/automatic appliances available.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

If you don't have Caddy or Corvette money to spend, Camaro is the only RWD car left that GM builds.

And that's not enough by any stretch, especially when variety is a boat ride away.

True.

It's worse at Ford--the Mustang is the only RWD Ford NA now builds, period. And Chrysler only has 3 RWD models available.

Not a lot of choice...

Exactly my point.

Why don't we at least have a hot little turbo4 and a manual in a RWD Buick coupe with some sexy lines?

Or a Chevy Nomad on the same chassis?

Or a Chevy/Buick RWD sport sedan with a hot V6? Or *gasp* an optional V8?

True.

Not a lot of choice...

Exactly my point.

Why don't we at least have a hot little turbo4 and a manual in a RWD Buick coupe with some sexy lines?

Or a Chevy Nomad on the same chassis?

Or a Chevy/Buick RWD sport sedan with a hot V6? Or *gasp* an optional V8?

Too easy for GM to stay on the straight and narrow and focus on FWD appliances since that is where the volume is.. :(

Anyway, I do hope GM utilizes the upcoming alpha RWD platform for models outside Cadillac. Or maybe RWD really will just be a premium brand only thing in the future..it pretty much is now with a few exceptions.

SSR?

That was a truck. But an interesting brief diversion nonetheless..

Anyway, I do hope GM utilizes the upcoming alpha RWD platform for models outside Cadillac. Or maybe RWD really will just be a premium brand only thing in the future..it pretty much is now with a few exceptions.

SSR?

OK, I'll give on the SSR - it was techinically a truck.

On the other point, I think this is exactly why GM should offer non-premium RWD.

SSR?

OK, I'll give on the SSR - it was techinically a truck.

On the other point, I think this is exactly why GM should offer non-premium RWD.

I think they should have continued the Kappa platform and come up w/ Chevy versions..

Wasn't that Chromium Steel???

(God, I've been here way to long :P )

Not Chromium he was into the 70's opera window barges with chrome bumpers ect... also big engines

I guess this means I will be buying full size trucks for the rest of my life as I cannot handle driving a microcar..

Sure looks that way.

What a revolting future.

RE 'volt' ing.......

Thinking that will be where the I3 will land as in the ICE range extender. Also in the Spark, Beat & Cruze Eco line - up and a RS Spark they will do quite well I honestly think they could go smaller 3/4L I3 could work well. Maybe they've done the math and found that the weight of even next gen spark will be too high for a 750cc DI Turbo that'd be sad if so.

GM had variety. It was a RWD performance sedan called the G8. It was affordable, yet it didn't sell well at all. The reason GM has no 'variety' is because serving the 5000 internet people who wanted the vehicle, and subsequently didn't buy it was a bad strategy.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

GM had variety. It was a RWD performance sedan called the G8. It was affordable, yet it didn't sell well at all. The reason GM has no 'variety' is because serving the 5000 internet people who wanted the vehicle, and subsequently didn't buy it was a bad strategy.

Entirely untrue.

When cancelled, the G8 was the second fastest selling car in the US (right behind the Prius). Most G8s were pre-sold GTs - what sat on lots were stock order V6 cars (lay that blame on GM and the dealers).

Almost every GXP was sold before it was built.

Oh, and variety requires more than a single car.

• Agree 2

I wish GM would take the Alpha platform and do a less expensive version for Chevrolet and Buick! Then in the future do the next generation platform as a flexible FWD-RWD-AWD platform. They could move the front axle line forward allowing the engine to be placed between it and the fire wall. Then from there they could offer various drive lines with the engine and trans positioned like a conventional RWD car. Then just send the power to the front wheels for one model and the rear wheels for another and all the wheels for another. If they did this across the platform line it would allow them to offer more product to more buyers through more choices! This would change everything from the common FWD only market we have today on far to many cars! Open it up GM and rule the American road once again!

• Agree 1

Its about time they move to a 3-cylinder. A 3-cylinder engine is more frictionally efficient and better for turbocharging than a 4-cylinder of the same displacement. This is because 12-valves instead of 16 and less frictional surfaces with 3 cylinders translates to lower parasitic losses and superior engine efficiency. Also, because 3-cylinder engines do not have cylinders at the top and bottom of their strokes at any one time, they do not have the problem of exhaust pulses feeding back into the another cylinder in the valve overlap period -- a problem which requires a twin-scroll turbo and segregated manifold to mitigate.

I just swapped into a Cruze Eco 6-Speed this week. I have to say, that this is one of the most polite little engines I've driven coupled to one of the easiest manual transmissions to drive. GM already has the bar set pretty high on NHV, the 3-cylinder can't be a step back.

Know what? I want GM to make V8's mandatory in all its vehicles. Then they can go bankrupt in three years and bought out by a Californian-Chinese conglomerate, which will only make the Groove, Spark and Trax, with a version of the Trax that replaces the rear seat with a box, all complete with 1.3L 3-Cylinder engines, with the option of a turbo for the SS models. And that will be all you can have.

No really, that's what I want.

Because right now... buying these compact vehicles and smaller engines is a choice. You don't have to buy them. You can still get a V8 in quite a few GM vehicles, or a powerful V6. These vehicles are what'll allow GM to continue to produce the Camaro, Corvette and ATS into the future.

But hey, since offering these engines for the 75% people who don't need or WANT a stonking V8 is apparently leading to a sad future anyways, let's just do away with anything 'good' now. That way, instead of complaining about the choice of having a V8/V6 or an I3, you can just have the I3. Then people's complaints may actually be far less moronic.

+ 100000

An absurd bit of hyperbole there.

Fact is, choice is diminishing as we speak.

For 2012 the F-series has a choice of a V6, Turbo-V6, 5.0 DOHC V8, 6.2 liter SOHC V8, 6.7 liter diesel (5-choices)

For 2012 the Camaro has a choice of 3.6 liter V6, 6.2 liter V8, 6.2 Liter Supercharged V8 (3-choices)

For 2012 the Mustang has a choice of 3.7 liter V6, 5.0 DOHC V8, and 5.4 liter Supercharged...... we also know that Ecoboost is coming to Mustang to ad a fourth engine choice. (3 choices with a 4th coming)

For 2012 the Cruze has a choice of two 4-cylinder engines, both available with a manual and with a diesel engine coming next year (2 choices with a 3rd coming) If you want to count the Verano and Volt, add the 2.4 Ecotec, 2.0T Ecotec, 2.5 eAssist, and Voltec to the list for a total of 7 choices of power train in a compact car platform.

For 2012 the Regal offers a choice of base 4-cylinder, low end Turbo 4-cylinder, high end turbo-4, and eAssist (4-choices)

For 2012 the Silverado has a 4.3 V6, 4.8 V8, 5.3 V8, 6.2, 5.3 V8-Hybrid, 6.0 V8, and 6.6 turbodiesel (7-choices)

Tell me the fairy tail again about how choice is diminishing?

An absurd bit of hyperbole there.

Fact is, choice is diminishing as we speak.

For 2012 the F-series has a choice of a V6, Turbo-V6, 5.0 DOHC V8, 6.2 liter SOHC V8, 6.7 liter diesel (5-choices)

For 2012 the Camaro has a choice of 3.6 liter V6, 6.2 liter V8, 6.2 Liter Supercharged V8 (3-choices)

For 2012 the Mustang has a choice of 3.7 liter V6, 5.0 DOHC V8, and 5.4 liter Supercharged...... we also know that Ecoboost is coming to Mustang to ad a fourth engine choice. (3 choices with a 4th coming)

For 2012 the Cruze has a choice of two 4-cylinder engines, both available with a manual and with a diesel engine coming next year (2 choices with a 3rd coming) If you want to count the Verano and Volt, add the 2.4 Ecotec, 2.0T Ecotec, 2.5 eAssist, and Voltec to the list for a total of 7 choices of power train in a compact car platform.

For 2012 the Regal offers a choice of base 4-cylinder, low end Turbo 4-cylinder, high end turbo-4, and eAssist (4-choices)

For 2012 the Silverado has a 4.3 V6, 4.8 V8, 5.3 V8, 6.2, 5.3 V8-Hybrid, 6.0 V8, and 6.6 turbodiesel (7-choices)

No fairy tale whatsoever. Trucks aren't at issue here.

In cars, GM offers exactly one RWD choice that isn't Caddy or Corvette.

Everything else is FWD.

Clear enough for you?

It's choices among cars that fit his rather narrow view of what a car can be that are diminishing.

The Mini offers 3 different engines (if you count the JCW) and about 17 body styles, in prices ranging from $20 grand to over 40. And its difficult to call any Mini a bland generibox.

My point is that if you're willing to suspend your preconceived notions of what a car must be, you can probably find something that meets your needs and is an absolute blast.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1