http://www.motortren...2_buick_verano/

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

Really like this car and seriously considering it as well as Cruze LTZ in 18mos-2yrs or so when I'm in the market. Interesting that for almost the same price the Cruze LTZ has Leather, AutoDim Mirror, Ultrasonic Parking Aid, Power Seats, Heated Seats. The Verano has a much more balanced powertrain and standard Intellilink. All of the stuff the Cruze has is optional of course, and much more. It's a toss up for me but I lean towards the Buick's more classy styling, softer suspension tuning, and most importantly more power.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,728 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

and even more quiet.

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

Looks good as well...

67impss

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

When did the Ecotec line have a NVH problem? Did it just develop for the 2012 MY?

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

The new car looked great last year when I saw it and after driving the Cruze I expect it will be a reall winner. The engine issues will work themselves out. This is not a sports sedan anyways and the new engines will address these issues.

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

When did the Ecotec line have a NVH problem? Did it just develop for the 2012 MY?

It's just typical MotorTrend... the 2.4 SIDI has been on Ward's 10 Best Engines so it's not like I buy that. Also contrary to what the review says, the 2.4L engine in fact has TWO balance shafts, not zero. Note that with the isolated oil pump the production models will have their complaint wasn't there, so why bother even writing about it?

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,703 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:58 AM

Motor Trend sniped at the Cruze in its Focus/Cruze matchup, and now they're sniping at the Verano for flimsy reasons. They suck.

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

I take MT's issues often with a grain of salt in most cases in relation to GM.

I am starting to believe based on what I know of the Cruze and what I have driven this will be a well recieved car and will help Buicks image. While it is not a car for all I see many older people on limited incomes and younger people with kids and large house payments to find a car they can have real luxury in and not have to go over the average price of a car.

In the 90's with a booming economy this car would have sat on the dealer lots but today in tight economic times everyone but the goverment is watching their money today. Many are down sizing to smaller and more efficent cars. The real problem there were few what I would call real Luxury cars this size and under $30K anymore.

While this is not the kind of car Buick want to end up being it is a step into the direction they want to be seen in. I expect future products will be a little more diverse as they start with a clean sheet of paper and not just have to rehash an older Opel. I suspect this car may be replaced in 4-5 years with a more updated car that will move even farther away from the LTZ Cruze.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,728 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

2015 is the supposed refresh date on the Verano, so just a 4 year run.

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:48 AM

2015 is the supposed refresh date on the Verano, so just a 4 year run.

That sounds about right. Gm seems to be bring the things they had worked out before the BK up till 2014 and 2014 and on look to be the new things they started after the BK.

I get the feeling the new C7 Vette will be the leader of a whole new wave of vehicles GM has said little about. This is where we will really see what their plans are.

Edited by hyperv6, 20 October 2011 - 04:50 AM.

Paolino

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

If they throw in a nice blue color, even without waiting for the 2.5L, I could see this as a daily commuter.

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

I saw a dark blue Lacross the other day that would look real good on this car. I love the new blue. Very elegant.

Paolino

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

I saw a dark blue Lacross the other day that would look real good on this car. I love the new blue. Very elegant.

I like the midnight blue metallic more or less. I LOVED the Majestic Blue Metallic they had on the 2011 Regal that they got rid of. Loved the Slatestone Metallic that was on the last LaX. Would like to see some other colors offered on the Buicks.

A Horse With No Name

Firing on all sixteen cylinders

• Members
  • 13,496 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

If they throw in a nice blue color, even without waiting for the 2.5L, I could see this as a daily commuter.

Exactly my thoughts.

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

I would want mine in that same Brown Exterior/Tan interior combo from the show car.

Paolino

Ultra Member

• Editor/Reporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

I would want mine in that same Brown Exterior/Tan interior combo from the show car.

Yeah, that "Choccachino" color scheme is very rich looking. Like something you'd find for 2,500 calories on a Starbucks menu.

vonVeezelsnider

Denali Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, that "Choccachino" color scheme is very rich looking. Like something you'd find for 2,500 calories on a Starbucks menu.

Yeah and make the exterior that brown color as well, it's a really rich colour, moreso than the brown they use on the LaCrosse.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,728 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

I was really sad to see the Cruze go when I had to turn it in last week.... and I don't even really like economy cars. The Verano should be great.

RjION

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

Sport up the suspension a bit, and bring the hp up to 210 and I'm all over a white Verano. Because it's so hot out here I'd rather not have leather seats. But if the Cruze had a 195 hp non turbo manual, I'd hit that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users