Cadillac News: LA 2011: Cadillac XTS

158 replies to this topic

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

The technology on the 98 Seville was probably greater than the average car than the XTS technology compared to the average car. A lot of cars now have blue tooth, lane departure warning, parking aides, back up cameras. Radar/Lasar cruise control is fairly common among luxury cars, magnetic ride control is what sets the XTS apart from an average car, but the 2002 Seville had MagnaRide, and Acura, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Corvette and Ferrari use a form of magnetorheological suspension.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

No other car has a system as advanced and as seamless as CUE, nor do any of their systems have the 'haptic,' touch feedback of it.

Back in 1998, crank windows could still be standard on cars and air conditioning was an option. Now everyone has technology. But the real challenge is offering the most complete package that has the best feature-set, and integration. The XTS offers the best, most cohesive package that is above anything in the automotive world. Sounds like a new standard to me.

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:47 AM

I want to make a comparison.

1998 Cadillac Seville
300 hp
295 lb-ft torque

Wheelbase: 112.2 inches
Length: 201 inches
Width: 75 inches
Height: 55.4 inches
Weight 4001 lbs

XTS:
300 hp
264 lb-ft torque

Wheelbase: 111.7 inches
Length: 202 inches
Width: 72.9 inches
Height: 59.1 inches
Weight ??? lbs

14 years later we have a taller, narrower Seville with less torque. How exciting.

You tend to forget that the XTS we see now is only the start. We are getting the Haldex AWD system which is world class as well as more power and even an advanced hybrid system, there is more to come.

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

City cars will become popular be cause of population boom in urban areas. China and India combined have about 2.5 billion people, I'd want a car I can sell to those markets and to the cities that have populations of 10 or 20 million people.

They are more an necessary evil to sell cars in Europe and America. To meet future standards the line up many of these compomanies are not going to meet Emission And Fuel standards. They are now planting the seeds to classes of small cars we would never have seen unless they were forced to it. Companies like VW and GM have options but companies like Aston and Jag have no options and are running scared. So far the Aston has sold well but when the novalty has worn off where will they turn.

The Luxury and Truck markets will show the great changes in the next 12-15 years. Greater than we have seen in the past. Lets just hope Cadillac does better than they did in the past.

As we know now the STS was a nice car but most could not see spending more money on a car that for the most was just a large CTS. The next CTS will change as with the ATS it will lose sales to it.

Diversity at Cadillac is needed as they can not just live on 3-4 expanded and shrunk sized CTS cars.

I think you will find this car to be more advanced, quiet and with the best ride vs handling of any Cadillac in history.

The fact remains with the last few generations not all cars have to be overly large RWD or V8 to sell in this class. There is a large segment of buyers that have been found and this is the car for them.

I still think since they have hinted at a V we will see a Haldex AWD with well over 400 HP. Combined with the Magnaride and larger tires and ceramic brakes this could prove to be an interesting car after all.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

What does CUE do that MMI, COMMAND, iDrive and MyLincoln touch don't do? And reconfigurable instrument cluster is nice to suit needs of different drivers, but it has been done before, and I still prefer real gauges to a screen.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

What does CUE do that MMI, COMMAND, iDrive and MyLincoln touch don't do? And reconfigurable instrument cluster is nice to suit needs of different drivers, but it has been done before, and I still prefer real gauges to a screen.

Not cause the driver to smash into a power pole trying to figure out how to switch XM stations.

You can keep rationalizing all you want but this car is quite ahead of the competition. Maybe it won't be ahead of a BMW 5 on the Nurburgring, but it'll be so much more pleasant.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

Not cause the driver to smash into a power pole trying to figure out how to switch XM stations.

You can keep rationalizing all you want but this car is quite ahead of the competition. Maybe it won't be ahead of a BMW 5 on the Nurburgring, but it'll be so much more pleasant.

Many of the other luxury cars with driver interface systems either have secondary controls or voice command. And I don't see many German sedans wrapped around power poles. So that doesn't really answer my question as to what CUE does, that MMI/COMMAND/iDrive/MyFordTouch don't already do.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

It does everything they do. But better, and in a more integrated fashion. It's the Apple iOS of the industry... its competitors are Windows ME by comparison.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,266 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

Is there a video demonstration of Cadillac's system somebody can post here, or link to?

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

The new Cadillac XTS - the luxury car for gadget geeks and grey hairs!

Sorry guys, couldn't resist.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,266 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

I am really curious how those two very divergent groups will intersect in this car. Old folks do not like to fiddle with stuff. If the salespeople know their product, maybe they can set the system for customers so they can just DRIVE the thing.

Camino LS6

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

I am really curious how those two very divergent groups will intersect in this car. Old folks do not like to fiddle with stuff. If the salespeople know their product, maybe they can set the system for customers so they can just DRIVE the thing.

Reading GM's press release, that seems to be exactly what they plan.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,266 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Which begs the question... why go to the trouble of installing the system in this model? I can see maybe the SRX, CTS and ATS... but not the Xtra Too Skinny.

Camino LS6

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

Which begs the question... why go to the trouble of installing the system in this model? I can see maybe the SRX, CTS and ATS... but not the Xtra Too Skinny.

Well, the car has tepid, me-too, styling and pedestrian underpinnings - so it needed to hang it's hat on something.

Camino LS6

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

I think I'm so down on this car because it makes me think of these awful things:

yuck Deville.jpg

I sure hope we get some ATS tidbits to talk about soon.

FAPTurbo

worst c&g mod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

Pedestrian underpinnings? What? MagnaRide and HiPer strut doesn't cut it anymore> Dear lord, this vehicle is a techno tour-de-force and all you people can do is decry that it is FWD and the engine is somehow inferior to the competition when it clearly isn't.

Camino LS6

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Pedestrian underpinnings? What? MagnaRide and HiPer strut doesn't cut it anymore> Dear lord, this vehicle is a techno tour-de-force and all you people can do is decry that it is FWD and the engine is somehow inferior to the competition when it clearly isn't.

I refer to it's EPII foundation, not the dirty bits it steals from the real Cadillacs.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,380 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

I refer to it's EPII foundation, not the dirty bits it steals from the real Cadillacs.

<elitist rant>
Exactly...it may have some high tech parts, but at the core it has mainstream FWD appliance underpinings which are innapropriate for a brand w/ premium aspirations. Transverse engine w/ FWD is the very definition of mediocrity, averageness, bland... all that is anthema to premium, luxury, etc.

It's enough to compete w/ such weak entry-lux models as the ES and MKS, but such mediocrity isn't enough to compete in the big leagues. It's a weak, predicable effort. Cadillac needs to aim higher...
</elitist rant>

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar, 19 November 2011 - 05:30 PM.

Camino LS6

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

Exactly...it may have some high tech parts, but at the core it has mainstream FWD appliance underpinings which are innapropriate for a brand w/ premium aspirations. Transverse engine w/ FWD is the very definition of mediocrity, averageness, bland... all that is anthema to premium, luxury, etc. It's enough to compete w/ such weak entry-lux models as the ES and MKS, but such mediocrity isn't enough to compete in the big leagues. It's a weak, predicable effort. Cadillac needs to aim higher...

Precisely!

If you love the tech, that's just fine. But it doesn't say anything about the XTS' intrinsic value as a car. In that sense, it is just fluff that could be added to any car.

This car, like that nasty thing I posted earlier, is Cadillac by committee. And that committee just phoned this one in.

Edited by Camino LS6, 19 November 2011 - 05:33 PM.

Camino LS6

• Members
  • 28,847 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Something like this would have had me cheering:

CadillacZTS.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users