SHOCKER: ocnblu goes green!

WHOA... just thinking this morning. My new Jeep ® has one of the most diverse backgrounds of any vehicle on the road. It's got a little bit of all of these flavors wrapped up in a sweet little American dish:

Willys

Kaiser

AMC

Renault

Chrysler

Mitsubishi

Diamler

Anyone else in its ancestry? Italians just married in, but haven't been around long enough to add their own spices to the plate.

WHOA... just thinking this morning. My new Jeep ® has one of the most diverse backgrounds of any vehicle on the road. It's got a little bit of all of these flavors wrapped up in a sweet little American dish:

Willys

Kaiser

AMC

Renault

Chrysler

Mitsubishi

Diamler

Anyone else in its ancestry? Italians just married in, but haven't been around long enough to add their own spices to the plate.

Hyundai, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Engine_Manufacturing_Alliance

Willys, Kaiser, AMC, Renault, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Diamler

If you're going for every drop of lineage blood, you'd have to include Rambler, Frazer, Hudson, Nash, Knight, Overland, and one of the grandaddies of 4x4s, Jeffery.

Cool on the family tree info. I did forget about the other members of AMC, and other companies who built the original military vehicle that became the Jeep. Thanks for the comments.

I'll check the C&G Garage shortly.

Thanks, AAS. These are the 17" wheels since the style freshening. They're supremely easy to clean.

Side note: I had a quarter tank to go, but I filled it up. First tank, 21.8 MPG. I was back and forth to work all week with no long trips, then yesterday I did some suburban driving.

• Agree 1

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bwxi989YMOE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FRMXt9QCiyw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by ocnblu

Friend I sold my Avalanche too wanted to buy one of these before, back in the first model year. This from an Expedition, Explorer, truck, etc. guy. CVT and all, he really really liked driving it, CVT included.

Always seemed to be a well done little ute, even vs. the weird Compass it shares guts with.

Thanks, AAS. These are the 17" wheels since the style freshening. They're supremely easy to clean.

Side note: I had a quarter tank to go, but I filled it up. First tank, 21.8 MPG. I was back and forth to work all week with no long trips, then yesterday I did some suburban driving.

Not bad...

Woah, they really did make it trail rated!

Jeep doesn't play around....

ocn ... CONGRATULATIONS on the new Jeep!

Sure wish I could afford a new car...lol.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Somebody snitched on me" __ Barry Gordon __ 'Nuttin' For Christmas'

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loving this thing more each day. No issues to report after 1k miles. The remote start, sunroof and heated seats are really nice to have, among other things, and I've gotten several compliments on the colour.

Hopefully this thing lives around here for awhile...

*chuckles*

After reading OCN's update ... and BEFORE I saw your post ... I thought the EXACT same thing.

Ohhhh...to have a new(er) car.....

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic

CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy" __ Eagles __ 'Take It Easy'

Have you seen any improvement since this post, blu?

Do Trail Rated Patriots not come with the other wheels anymore? I think they were 17", 5-spoke wheels with the light and dark finishes (sort of IROC-ish).

While those rims do resemble the old IROC 5-spokes, they were more or less modeled after the old "Icon" and "Ecco" rims from the XJ Cherokee:

XJ Cherokee "Icon" 16" alloy rim:

00-01spined5spoke.jpg

XJ Cherokee "Ecco" 15" alloy rim:

97-015spoke.jpg

MK Patriot 17" alloy rim:

ALY09069U.jpg

Additionally, the "Icon" and "Ecco" rims may possibly mount up to a Patriot, provided they provide ample clearance for the disc brakes. I know people mount the MK 17" rims up to XJs all day long without any problems.

What really looks sweet on MKs and XJs alike are the Wrangler Rubicon "Moab" 16" or 17" rims:

jeep-moab-wheel500.jpg

Jeep upgraded the rims on their Patriot Extreme concept to a set of Moabs (they had to install a 2" lift to fit the meater rubber):

02-patriot-630.jpg

Edited by black-knight

Fuel economy is still hovering about the same. Non-Trail Rated 4WD Patriots are rated 1 mpg higher in city and 3 mpg higher highway with manual transmission, I believe, if that is your goal. Did not test drive one without FDII. FDII CVT shifts once like a 2-speed. Very decent to drive, I was surprised at how agreeable the powertrain combo is. It does not feel like a hotrod, but it has the deliberate throttle action an off-road vehicle should have. My advice: try a couple different configs to see which you like best.

I spent some of the day today with a 2007 model (4WD Sport, CVT2, Steel Blue Metallic) and $10 bucks was enough to put almost a half tank of 87 octane in it. The mileage was very impressive for an SUV of its capabilities and class, possibly exceeding the EPA scores.

The CVT is very suprising, although it made the little guy sound a bit like a snowmobile (which, oddly enough, began to grow on me after a while).

Edited by black-knight