Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick News: Teased again: Buick's upcoming Encore

Blake Noble

December 21, 2011

black-knight

CheersandGears.com

It was only last week that Buick offered us the first glimpse of their upcoming small crossover, the Encore, that's set to debut at the Detroit Auto Show this January. But apparently that one image wasn't enough of the Encore for Buick to reveal to world.

So how did Buick decide to follow up the Encore's first act? By taking the show over to Facebook where, section by section, a full image of the new CUV would be totally revealed by January 10th.

It still doesn't show much right now, but it's barely enough to sort of see that it won't be in anyway related to the Chevrolet Equinox or the old Saturn Vue.

Update: Another block dropped today.

View full article

Since my new job now blocks facebook which I never used anyway. Is there any more of the image that can be posted here to be seen? If not then a new block will be shown next week, then the 3rd the week after with the final block shown on the 4th week?

Since my new job now blocks facebook which I never used anyway. Is there any more of the image that can be posted here to be seen? If not then a new block will be shown next week, then the 3rd the week after with the final block shown on the 4th week?

That's all there is for now.

I think he meant in looks this isn't turning into a Vueick

Well... In a way it will, because unless things changed a lot over the last 3 months or so, Opel is getting a Gamma-based CUV. I'd expect differences between the two to be like the front end of the Verano versus the front end of the Astra transformation, but that's about it.

Fortunately this time around they won't slap a Buick badge on a dead brand car...

Edited by ZL-1

I hate this car and the interior suck. Now where can I find a picture of it? At times I just love the thinking of some here.

If I recall the Gamma is what the new Granite is riding on too. This one could prove to be a little interesting, while not as big as a Nox but larger than a Sonic. The Gamma can be flexible and we have yet to really see what all can be done with it.

I will be watching to see what they have done here as it sounds like it could be a very small sporting CUV. I will wait to praise or condem till after I see more than a headlight.

Well shoot if I'd seen the vinyl-clad spy shots taken by Mr. Doane's old boss' company before Buick's first teaser, I wouldn't have gone all "chicken little" up in here.

We've been disappointed before when reality bites. This time reality bit me in the butt because I was holding up past history as law.

1.4t and 2.0t are entirely appropriate in the Encore's case. I'm still dead-set against e-assist though.

They updated the FB pic...now you can see the entire greenhouse and rear quarter. Definitely looks like the Gamma Opel mini-CUV.

I believe that it is 99% likely the Encore will follow the Astra-to-Verano formula: exact same car (though in the case of the Astra the Astra sedan is yet to be shown) with unique Buick fascias.

If it sells, gets good reviews and positive press, what's the prob? Not every vehicle must be designed for each person individually. I will never own a station wagon... I hate them. Should the world stop making wagons because one doesn't like them? Let "chicks" buy the car. More people will see the Buick insignia and nameplate on the road and realize they're stylish vehicles and worth checking out.

If it sells, gets good reviews and positive press, what's the prob? Not every vehicle must be designed for each person individually. I will never own a station wagon... I hate them. Should the world stop making wagons because one doesn't like them? Let "chicks" buy the car. More people will see the Buick insignia and nameplate on the road and realize they're stylish vehicles and worth checking out.

"Chicks" actually have more overall purchase influence in the market than "dudes".

• Agree 1

If anyone compares this to the snazzy small CUV concept Buick Envision from a while back they'll see this has none of the size, style or attitude of the concept. Looking at the Buick Facebook reveals and this Opel as donor car, I am not impressed.

The Envision with slightly toned-down styling and conventional doors would have been a home run and a much more fitting younger sibling for the Enclave. It should have been based on Delta II rather than Gamma.

There comes a fitting time for a concert to end. No more encores. And the audience goes home.

Edited by ocnblu

I would have expected Buick to do a Theta midsize or compact CUV before they went down to a subcompact..it is surprising, I would have expected a subcompact Chevy CUV first..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

If anyone compares this to the snazzy small CUV concept Buick Envision from a while back they'll see this has none of the size, style or attitude of the concept. Looking at the Buick Facebook reveals and this Opel as donor car, I am not impressed.

The Envision with slightly toned-down styling and conventional doors would have been a home run and a much more fitting younger sibling for the Enclave. It should have been based on Delta II rather than Gamma.

There comes a fitting time for a concert to end. No more encores. And the audience goes home.

I would have expected Buick to do a Theta midsize or compact CUV before they went down to a subcompact..it is surprising, I would have expected a subcompact Chevy CUV first..

Maybe that is to come in time.

Buicks far from done yet. These small CUX are becoming a larger segment of the market robbing buyers away from the Larger SUV's and Minivans. People are getting tired of paying more for gas and are down sizing in price of vehicle and upgrading in MPG.

Some of the players in this segment are doing well and many have some very odd styling [Juke or Puke as I like to call it].

The Buick is not something I would rush out an buy but it should easily find buyers as it is one of the better looking vehicles in the segment and I think even better than the Opel. If it is tuned and detailed at the Verano with a very good and quiet interior it could be even best in class as few in this segment are what I would call up scale in anyway.

This car while not what I would call a Cheers and Gear kind of car should do two things for Buick. It should attract more women to the brand and it should continue to lower the average owners age. Two things key to Buicks future.

Women are the most important segment today. THey buy over 50% of the cars and influence around 70% of all sales. This is why we see so many men given up on their manhood and driving Caravans. She has his balls in her purse and GM know it. Good to see GM diverse themselves into segments they have done poorly in the past.

GM in the past had a few kinds of cars and 4 versions of the same thing. Today there is more space between Chevy, Buick and Cadillac and the gaps are starting to grow wider. That is good to see too.

I think the strategy of bringing models from upper brands first and then trickling to mainstream brand will be better. It will help alleviate the badge engineering stigma.

This car is a leader car. GM is trying out a new segment even smaller than the RDX. Who else out there has a premium sub compact CUV? I showed Albert the picture of the Opel and he said he wants one. I think that is a sign that Buick has targeted the car right.

This car is a leader car. GM is trying out a new segment even smaller than the RDX. Who else out there has a premium sub compact CUV? I showed Albert the picture of the Opel and he said he wants one. I think that is a sign that Buick has targeted the car right.

I agree with you completely. Styling, options and pricing done right, this could be a real winner for Buick.

Let's see the whole thing, in and out, from all angles. Let's hear the powertrain options. Let's see it in motion on video. I guess January 10th is Encore's day of reckoning, but so far, the more that's revealed, the less excited I get. Oh well.

I think the strategy of bringing models from upper brands first and then trickling to mainstream brand will be better. It will help alleviate the badge engineering stigma.

It is an old trick GM used to employ but forgot about. They used to do it on options and styling features.

I just read an old interveiw with GM designer Irv Rybicki and he spoke how they had used Opera window in the Eldo and then was instructed to use it in the Monte to give it a much up level feel and look.

I agree the trickle down has a strong effect with models but I see GM doing things a little more different this time. GMC is getting a Gamma but it will be the Granite that is closer to a larger Soul than this Buick. Chevy is said to be getting a small CUV but I expect it to be more intune with the new Escape. This is more platform engineering vs badge engineering. Yes they share with Opel but how many Markets do Buick and Opel share?

No matter what this segment is just really being formed now and GM is getting in at the start of the trend vs the end of it for once,

while no doubt this sort of car would have some appeal for some buyers my fear is it will instantly kill any chic and cool Buick has managed to build up up to now.

I would not fear that. It should be a quality product based on all the new Buicks we have gotten recently.. As for styling do no understimate the public. There is a large group of people who feel the Juke, Cube, Soul and Scion has a lot of Chic and cool. The public for some reason have embraced quirky and it is selling cars.

But then agian watch the new Toyota end of year sales commercial. They have all their models traveling down the road in silver. To be honest with you it is hard to tell them appart as they all look alike. I think this is why quirky is selling. Too many have owned Honda's and Toyota's that just all look the same and people are wanting to break out of it even if the car is not good looking. People want different just because it is different. God know they learned it with the HHR. You either hated it or loved it but it still sold many years over 100,000 units.

While the Buick so far from what we have seen is not knock down dead good looking yet it has shown enough to be far better than what is out there. at this point I see no reason to panic. Lets just let the market decide. I think they will suprise you.

It's kind of a tall hatchback, a mini-MPV..kind of like the Ford B-Max that is coming or the Golf Plus (is that still sold in the EU?). About the closest thing of this type in the US I guess is the Rondo or Rogue..maybe the Mini Countryman (a bit of a stretch).

It's kind of a tall hatchback, a mini-MPV..kind of like the Ford B-Max that is coming or the Golf Plus (is that still sold in the EU?). About the closest thing of this type in the US I guess is the Rondo or Rogue..maybe the Mini Countryman (a bit of a stretch).

You are correct. This is a segment that all companies are trying to break and for once many are using different ways to try to get into it. The one who hits the right combo could have another Caravan on their hands and own the segment.

While I do not think the Buck will own this segment it will bring people to a Buick dealers that never would have come in before. Lets face it this is an all new game for Buick here with a model like they never had before.

It will be interesting to see how Chey treats the Gamma CUV. With the Buick and GMC so different I hope to see Chevy take it in a new directions than the others.

I almost would like to see Chevy do a new version of the Tracker that They would build themselves, Not Rust, Not Tip Over and at a good value price. I see so many trackers and Samuri on the roads yet running but with little to no body left. People loved these things and they were affordable. WIth the Jeep moving up more and more in price they could make a dent in the segment.

The Opel does not look remotely upscale. Buick is supposed to be an upscale brand. How much luxury can be successfully tacked onto the Mokka to turn it into a believable Buick? I changed my mind about the Verano and Regal, I like them, although I still have reservations about the side sculpting on both... it is Opel, not Buick. Opel is the top dog here, and Buick is the bitch. I don't see Astra saloons and estates with sweepspears. LaCrosse has the full compliment of Buickness, the smaller cars do not. That is my lament.

A small CUV can have as much drama as the LaCrosse... or a '71 Riv... if GM believes in the brand enough to make it distinctive all the way down the lineup.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 3

I think Chevy's version should be called Sonic Traxx. It would be the Sonic hatch with the suspension raised about 3 inches, a bolder grille texture, lower cladding, a roof rack, and tougher looking wheels with knobby tires. The interior would also be toughened up with waterproof upholstery with exclusive sew patterns and color combinations. It would have AWD and the 1.4t as the only engine.

• Disagree 1

394318a8cc8bcffe28d4d32ae45b6a9e.png

377781_261330773931475_108147422583145_737665_648443362_n.jpg

6155_st0640_047_lg.jpg That's supposed to be this things "little brother"?

We only have the one angle for the Mokka, but from what i see i don't like the short hood or the rising beltline, the body cladding will probably be colour matching for the Buick and it will have chrome window accents

(Hopefully the Enclave's refresh doesn't make it match the opel's styling)

• Agree 1

Time to deal with the facts. Bucik was dead and would be gone if it had not been for China. The reality is people for a long time have really cared little for Buick and have little love for the past Buicks for a long time. In other words Buick was dead to most under 60 years old accept for a slim few GN fans and rare lingering fan.

The reason they are going Opel is simple Opel had less baggage and more global appeal than Buick.

The Enclave. Regal and Lacrosse have shown that they Buick can build cars people under 65 want and like. They like them of their own merits of just being a better car and not vent ports or long gone past history. The Verano is just entering the market and I suspect when the 2.5 and 2.0 Turbo hits it will do very well. The critic have all said all this car needs is an updated engine and they were shocked at how good it is.

I hate to predict what the Encore will do as it is a new segment with a lot of varied new products in it. Also I have not seen this in person yet and would like to do the right thing and have an informed opinion. Based on the quality of the Opels, Gamma and the latest Buicks I think if this is priced right they could do well with it.

This is not a segment I have any interest in but I do feel GM needs some players in this market, it is proving to be a good segment. Also when gas prices spike large SUV sales die and the small CUV sales clime. A good mix can save a company no matter what is effecting the market.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

This car isn't targeted to anyone at all on C&G. It is the exact antithesis of what we like here. That said, I think it is perfectly positioned for the market it IS targeting.... and having just spent a week in a new Sonic LTZ Turbo, I have no doubts as to what they'll be able to do with this car to make it a premium vehicle.

Is that a Buick Tri Shield in the parking light?

yes

• Agree 2