Buick News: Teased again: Buick's upcoming Encore

Blake Noble

I agree 100% here that it is not C&G material. If it was it would mis the meat of the segment. Like I have stated we no longer are the majority of what the market is anymore. The markets have shifted and people have different ideas of what they want in a car than they used to.

I would love to see the Chevy as a Borrego like vehicle but I expect it will be closer to the Groove as it would have a wider appeal.

A lot of GM's cars have that now. I think even the now-just-ending Malibu has the bowtie in the same location.

It does it is on ours. I think it was the first to do so. It was something Lutz likes and promoted. They feel it gives the lights a more expensive detailed look vs just plain molded plastic.

Rebody it with crisp lines, a big egg crate grille, pointy lighting, and thus we could have the Caddy ARX :)

Or with smoothed out sides and a horizontally split grille w/ a big bowtie, a Chevy Sonic CUV.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Disagree 1

Also when gas prices spike large SUV sales die and the small CUV sales clime. A good mix can save a company no matter what is effecting the market.

This.

From today's reveal, I think it looks good! And in a vehicle half a meter smaller than the Enclave the proportions could never be translated, so a scaled carbon-copy of the Enclave shouldn't be expected.

To do a down scale of a larger vehicle is just a excuse for poor design.

Each vehicle should have a brand image but they should each be their own design. Putting the extra effort into a new model to make it different from others in the same brand line up adds to the product portfoilo.

If you make em all look alike you end up with souless design like Toyota.

GM has workd much on this with many of their new cars. While the new Cruze and Malibu share somethings they do look different just as I expect the Impala. The CTS, ATS and XTS all look like Cadillacs but each have their own take.

To do an Enclave as a small vehicle would have been a disaster just as theTrailblazers were when they gave them a LWB.

To do an Enclave as a small vehicle would have been a disaster just as theTrailblazers were when they gave them a LWB.

That would also required a much bigger investment...this is just an Opel w/ different fascias and other small trim differences.

Am I the only one that sees this as a replacement for the Buick Aztek? Which on a more and sadly serious note, sold fairly well for awhile.

Well, this is a much smaller and very different vehicle...the Rendezvous was a largish minivan-like CUV, this is a subcompact tall hatchback...the Enclave replaced the Rendezvous, Terrazo, and Rainier more or less..this is a kind of a new segment for Buick. This is GM's answer to the Ford B-Max or Mini Countryman..sort of.

That would also required a much bigger investment...this is just an Opel w/ different fascias and other small trim differences.

I know this was an Opel first but my point was they were better to do this than a 7/8ths Enclave. Buick and Opel both need diversity in their models. The last thing they needed was a mini Enclave.

With so few models they need a good mix of different product right now. Buick needs to keep drawing in new customers as they have had too few for too many years now.

It has been years since I would have ever considered a Buick and today I am. We will replace the GTP soon and the wife told me she wants to visit Buick to see what the new cars are like. I took her to the auto show this year and they had the cars she seem to like the best. To me that is something Buick could not do in the past is to attract women 25-40 years old. This is a strong segment with money.

Aslo I think you will find this will be like the other Buicks and it will be a little more upscale than most Opels. But I soon expect Opels to get move up soon as they will share more with the Buicks soon. That is if Europe does not implode on the Euro.

Edited by hyperv6
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Am I the only one that sees this as a replacement for the Buick Aztek? Which on a more and sadly serious note, sold fairly well for awhile.

Yes this is more like a Juke or other small cross over car/suv like vehicle.

So far many people think this is larger or smaller than it really is. The Gamma cam be made a larger than the Sonic like the Granite but too many think this also Terrain size which it is not.

This is a new segment many MFG are launching new product in but none have shown to be the dominate one yet. This will be the first with s sporting like model but with a very upgraded interior and the new Buick trademark quiet.

This could prove to be a valuable vehicle when gas prices are up and suv sales are down. Also many are getting tired of the $45,000+ prices on many new SUV's.

$25k is too much for a vehicle this tiny, even a "Buick". But I bet that's the MSRP range for it. It needed to have more dramatic looks, like the Envision, only toned down just enough for production.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Disagree 1

Yes this is more like a Juke or other small cross over car/suv like vehicle.

So far many people think this is larger or smaller than it really is. The Gamma cam be made a larger than the Sonic like the Granite but too many think this also Terrain size which it is not.

This is a new segment many MFG are launching new product in but none have shown to be the dominate one yet. This will be the first with s sporting like model but with a very upgraded interior and the new Buick trademark quiet.

I really doubt if it will be much bigger than a Sonic..it's just a tall 5dr subcompact car...some blogs have trumpeted the Opel/Vauxhall one as GM's answer to the Juke and B-Max..these spy shots of the disguised Opel version look pretty small...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/02/scoop-opel-new-corsa-based-small-suv-is.html

$25k is too much for a vehicle this tiny, even a "Buick". But I bet that's the MSRP range for it. It needed to have more dramatic looks, like the Envision, only toned down just enough for production.

Well, the Chevy version will probably be at the $20k price point...Buick is supposed to be above Chevy...

$25k isn't too much, CR-V's and Escapes sell for that (maybe not base trim but reasonably equipped). Small does not have to equal cheap. There are people that don't need a lot of room but want a nice vehicle.

Yes, but this isn't a Countryman or DS3. The Mokka/Encore is essentially a Corsa SUV. The fact it's a crossover might make it more expensive than a traditional B-segment hatch but certainly no more than a C-segment hatch.

i think this will be wider and longer than some expect The short nose and small rear over hang make it look smaller in a photo. But by no mean is this a large vehicle just a little larger than the Sonic.

Compare the tires and door handles to get an idea of scale. The Countryman or Juke would be a good idea of size. Larger than a Sonic but smaller than a Vue.

$25k isn't too much, CR-V's and Escapes sell for that (maybe not base trim but reasonably equipped). Small does not have to equal cheap. There are people that don't need a lot of room but want a nice vehicle.

Then why would they shop a big 5 passenger CUV version of a sub compact?

Remember guys, we aren't the target market for this vehicle. I still have a feeling that this will sell far better than anyone here expects.

It probably will...just as the B-seg car market has been growing in recent years, I expect the B-seg CUV/tall wagon segment to grow as well...Juke, xB, Countryman are here now...B-Max is coming, something from Fiat probably also...

Chick cars are what are helping many brands. Women buy a lot of cars anymore something in the range of a little over 50%. They also influence most family car buys so what they see and say effects what many families buy, Note ever guy in a Caravan and most other small Minivan/cuv had little say in these purchases.

I am lucky as my wife like many of the cars I like too. She has been looking at the Buick cars and I would be ok if that is what she wants to drive. Thank God she learned about Superchargers on our SSEI as she wanted a GP with a supercharger too.

As popular as the Vue was with a cheap crappy interior. I suspect this vehicle will attract much the same kind of buyer but will capture more sales as it will have a much better quality about it.

The other key demo here is the import buyer. Look around at all the small CUV's that the Asians are selling and many are very odd with ok interiors but nothing special. Buick is entering this segment with something that could change the segment if people respond to it. Small and upscale seem to be what Buick is doing and so far many people are taking interest. In this day and age many people would like a comfortable car with good MPG but they do not want to have to pay $40K or more to get it. After years of riding in crappy some what generic Honda's they are now wanting more for about the same price. Others are also down sizing as their investment porfolio is not bring in the disposable income it once was and they are now stuck with a mega house payment on a house they can't sell. While some want to claim the economy is getting better it still has a long ways to go and people will seek value in their purchases in the future. Buick is offering a lot for the money anymore and it appeals.

Edited by hyperv6

The size of it doesn't matter to me. Once again, it's the fact that Opel is leading Buick styling. Envision was more elegant looking than this because it was styled to represent Buick, not Opel, from stem to stern. Encore, from what I can procure from viewing the images provided by the OEM, is just a Mokka in an Izod polo, Dockers and Docksiders instead of dungarees, a t-shirt and flip-flops.

In black with brown leather interior it might approach Buick coolness... after dark. But in daylight???

Paulie, this might be the perfect vehicle for you. Super easy size and probably good mileage if it uses the 1.4t. If it has the quietness and features Buick is becoming known for, we may have found your next car... AND Albert's!

The size of it doesn't matter to me. Once again, it's the fact that Opel is leading Buick styling. Envision was more elegant looking than this because it was styled to represent Buick, not Opel, from stem to stern. Encore, from what I can procure from viewing the images provided by the OEM, is just a Mokka in an Izod polo, Dockers and Docksiders instead of dungarees, a t-shirt and flip-flops.

In black with brown leather interior it might approach Buick coolness... after dark. But in daylight???

And to think that 40-50 years ago, there were Buick Opels....and now there are....Buick Opels (without the badging).

The Ford has a useful front quarter glass (it helped with visibility in my Fiesta is all I'm saying) instead of the ubiquitous black plastic triangle, and with their reach-around at the back there appears to be a big enough piece of glass that you can see through. The hood looks high enough to see from the driver's seat (something I really like about my Patriot). The exterior spare is problematic from my perspective as a bodyshop person, but it adds to the macho feel of the micro ute. Mokka lacks testosterone based on the spy shot that, to be fair, appears to be altering my perception because of a telephoto lens.

Both of these infant spider monkeys would find a niche, with the Ecosport looking a lot younger, more fun to drive.

Encore... a micro near luxury ute... definitely a new category in the marketplace for the US that will find its own set of adherents.

Edited by ocnblu

I agree the Envision had more going for it.

I really am not huge on the monobox look. This looks like a squashed Matrix. The Envision overall did not have the shape I would -envision- but at least it had a separate hood vs. rest of the vehicle. It has at least a little bit of definition and muscle to it.

That can also make someone wonder what would have happened if Opel just rebadged all of their cars as Buicks in the U.S. the first time around ...

Car and Driver would have still featured the Buick Kadett in a junkyard. It would have still failed miserable. Buick's rep would have taken a bigger hit and sales plunge. Buick itself would have been phased out in 1981. Better A, X and J cars are built due to not needing a Buick version, and they successfully fend off the Asian invasion. Oldsmobile moves upmarket and fills the Buick void, but Pontiac moves into the sweet spot and becomes GM's biggest division on massive global Sunbird sales.

GM is broken up in 1995 due to antitrust violations. ;-)

• Agree 2

The Buick looked a little cut short in the front but after seeing the new Ford The Buick looks much cleaner and sportier. The Ford has a poor transition and flow from the hood to the windshield. It is nearly as bad as the nose GM grafted onto the minivans a few years ago.

I think the Buick is the best of the three we have pictured here.

I am amazed at how many people want these 4x4 wantabe vehicles. It has gotten to the point that companies like Jeep and Rover have models watered down to the point the real off road guys laugh. But if it make money more power to em. If that is what the buyers want then lets have the best one out there.

Paulie, this might be the perfect vehicle for you. Super easy size and probably good mileage if it uses the 1.4t. If it has the quietness and features Buick is becoming known for, we may have found your next car... AND Albert's!

Nope, I like sedans. :)

Well, I have my eyes set on the LaCrosse but I know I'd be quite happy with a Verano (and it'd definitely fit nicer in my parking spot at work since I'm squeezed between two SUVs)

22-photo gallery of pictures is up over @ Buick's Facebook page this a.m.

This is a mostly successful dress-up of the Mokka, imo, except for the cutesy taillights. The interior looks great. You can choose between painted or contrasting cladding.

It's a new vehicle category for the US, and GM is first to market! For that, I applaud them.

22-photo gallery of pictures is up over @ Buick's Facebook page this a.m.

This is a mostly successful dress-up of the Mokka, imo, except for the cutesy taillights.

THIS!!!

Those taillights do not fit in at all. It also looks like they classed up the interior quite a bit from the spy shots of the Mokka, but I just can't get over the damn taillights...ugh

Also, the page is up at Buick: http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-crossover-suv.html

Edited by PONTIAC06

It's so small (subcompact) that there are room for 2 CUVs between it and the full size Enclave...

Finally someone understand that this is not Buicks only move here.

I expect at least one more in the middle and a Mini Van like vehicle yet to come.

With the way this will sell in China it is worth a shot here. Home many thought the Verano was a major mistake and the critics love it. We still have to see how the public does but I think it will do well.

Another thing is this has a lot of cargo room for such a small vehicle. If it were a Hyundai many people would be singing praise for such a bold move to add Luxury to this class where there is none.

This thing is WAAAAAAY better in person. It is downright roomy in the 2nd row.

gallery_51_331_1180088.png

I had plenty of knee space when I sat there just after taking this picture. The materials, if they stay true to this when it enters production, are top notch.