Denali Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

William Maley
Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com
January 13, 2012

Speaking at the Automotive News World Congress, Ford's global marketing chief Jim Farley said the company is accelerating the One Ford global product development plan by reducing the number of platforms from eleven to nine and moving the date from 2014 to 2013.

"It's a decision to accelerate the reduction of complexity. Derrick [Kuzak, Ford's group vice president of global product development] and his team have committed to accelerating the process," Farley said.

When asked which platforms would be cut, Farley decline to answer.

The revised plan calls for 85% of Ford's global sales volume by 2013 to be built on nine platforms, of which five will be global platforms and four regional platforms. The five global platforms are:
  • B (Ford Fiesta)
  • C (Ford Focus)
  • C/D (Ford Fusion)
  • Light Truck (Global Ranger)
  • Commerical Vehicle (Ford Transit)
Source: Autoweek

Click here to view the article

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

Not surprised...it is an important money saver....

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,528 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Currently, the regional platforms are F-series light and Super Duty, E-series (going away), full size SUV,Mustang, Falcon, D3/D4... I could see the Falcon moving to D3 or the Fusion platform, or sharing w/ the next Mustang...I do wonder if Ford has any future RWD car strategy beyond the Mustang..doesn't seem like they do for NA...

daves87rs

The +1 Member

• Members
  • 16,063 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

Currently, the regional platforms are F-series light and Super Duty, E-series (going away), full size SUV,Mustang, Falcon, D3/D4... I could see the Falcon moving to D3 or the Fusion platform, or sharing w/ the next Mustang...I do wonder if Ford has any future RWD car strategy beyond the Mustang..doesn't seem like they do for NA...

Hopefully they do...

Daryl Z71

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Sounds like Ford is going to become the new Toyota...

ehaase

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

I think the next Taurus will be a stretched Fusion, just as the Avalon is a stretched Camry.

I wonder what will happen to MKS - will it be a stretched MKZ as a Taurus platform mate - or will it stay on D3 - maybe go to the longer Flex wheelbase. From what I read on BON, I think a sedan derivative of the Mustang is just too difficult to do without having both cars severely compromised.

I could also see D3 becoming strictly a crossover platform - the Explorer and future Lincoln Aviator. I think the Flex and MKT will eventually be dropped.

I think Falcon will continue as it is, depending upon what happens to the Territory.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,528 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

I think Falcon will continue as it is, depending upon what happens to the Territory.

I've read that Mullaly and Ford NA want the next Falcon to be a Fusion or Taurus variation--they want to consolidate on FWD sedans worldwide, but that Ford Aus is resistant to that idea...

ehaase

OSV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

I've read that Mullaly and Ford NA want the next Falcon to be a Fusion or Taurus variation--they want to consolidate on FWD sedans worldwide, but that Ford Aus is resistant to that idea...

My guess is the Falcon will move the same platform as the next generation Taurus - probably a stretched Fusion/Mondeo .

http://www.autoblog....ment-from-ford/

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,528 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

My guess is the Falcon will move the same platform as the next generation Taurus - probably a stretched Fusion/Mondeo .

http://www.autoblog....ment-from-ford/

Yeah, make it just another dull FWD appliance...

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,265 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

There are rumors of a new RWD architecture floating around that will be primarily for Lincoln in the US but would also underpin Mustang. It would also serve to underpin the RWD cars in other lands. 2016 is well within the time frame of getting that out. This next coming MKZ is likely one of the last of the Lincolns that is a Ford first. Ford is well aware that they need something more than mondeos and stretched mondeos if Lincoln is to survive.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,579 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Big-name luxury brands ride on RWD chassis, at least on their most important vehicles.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users